“Christmas is a season for kindling the fire for hospitality in the hall, the genial flame of charity in the heart.” – Washington Irving
Here in Georgia…
- Do excise tax hikes drive consumers to purchase cigarettes across state lines? That was a claim recently made by Grover Norquist (it’s also one I’ve made), and PolitiFact Georgia rates the statement to be “Mostly True.”
- Herman Cain reflects on his campaign.
- If you’re playing the lottery, you could have a very good Christmas.
- The unemployment rate in Metro Atlanta dropped to 9.2% (down from 9.9%).
National stories of interest…
- Here are the top 22 political quotes of 2011.
- Alex Tabarrok , an economist at George Mason University, writes that bringing more high-skilled immigrants in the US is a “no-brainer.”
- In case you haven’t seen it, here is the teaser for HBO’s Game Change.
- Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper is running out of patience with President Barack Obama on the Keystone Pipeline.
- Civil libertarians are angry with Obama, and rightfully so. But what took them so long?
- PolitiFact’s Life of the Year: “Republicans voted to end Medicare”
A few that I like…
- The Atlanta Braves are in a trademark dispute with Disney.
- Matt Pryor (The Get Up Kids) covers “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).”
- Economics affects everything…even dating.
- The better the college football team, the worse they are in the classroom.