No, I don’t just mean Gov. Deal’s announcement today at the Capitol urging state legislators to support Newt for President. That was pretty much fore-ordained when Gov. Deal accepted co-chairmanship of the Gingrich effort in Georgia, and stayed on when Gingrich’s staff left him.
I’m talking about Gary Busey’s endorsement of Gingrich for President.
[Busey] discussed his thoughts on the 2012 presidential race, telling The Washington Scene he was endorsing former Speaker Newt Gingrich.
“I’ve never met Newt but I know what he stands for,” Busey said.
Asked if he was a Republican, Busey replied “I’m a Texan.”
Despite his loyalty to his home state, Busey has no interest in supporting Texas Gov. Rick Perry.
“He’s a good guy, he just doesn’t belong in the race,” the actor said, citing Perry’s stance on illegal immigration.
[UPDATED] This just in from GriftDrift from
Gingrich headquarters a barstool in Moe’s and Joe’s: former Atlanta Braves superstar Kenny Powers John Rocker has also endorsed Gingrich. [If you’re at work or around kids, don’t hit this next link:]
Rocker said he’s “always loved” Gingrich, his fellow Georgian who also exploded on the national stage in the 1990s.
“I love to hear him talk. I love to hear his commentaries on whatever forum I can find him on, for God, the last 10-15 years,” said Rocker on Mike Silva’s New York Baseball Digest radio show.
“I mean, he is an absolute genius — just a marksman in historical value of pretty much anything you want to discuss,” Rocker gushed.
The lughead lefty said he would have preferred a candidate who wasn’t a career politician, and admitted his first choice to get the GOP nod might have been Herman Cain, who bowed out of the race after being embroiled in a series of sex scandals.
“But I just like Newt Gingrich,” Rocker said on the WGBB 1240 AM show. “I would like to see him get the nomination. He’s always intrigued me, you know — things he’s had to say.”
Here’s a complete list of today’s endorsements:
- Georgia Congressmen Austin Scott, Lynn Westmoreland, Tom Price, Jack Kingston and Phil Gingrey.
- Former Georgia Congressmen Mac Collins and Bob Barr.
- Georgia Senate President Pro Tempore Tommie Williams (R-Lyons).
- State Senators Judson Hill (R-Marietta); Jack Murphy (R-Cumming); John Albers (R-Roswell); Barry Loudermilk (R-Cartersville); Butch Miller (R-Gainesville); Steve Gooch (R-Dahlonega); Rick Jeffares (R-Locust Grove); and Bill Jackson (R-Appling).
- Former state Senators Bart Ladd (R-Dunwoody); Chuck Clay (Marietta); John Wiles (R-Marietta) and John Douglas (R-Social Circle).
- State Representatives Sharon Cooper (R-Marietta); Joe Wilkinson (R-Sandy Springs); Brooks Coleman (R-Duluth); Harry Geisinger (R-Roswell); Charlice Byrd (R-Woodstock); David Casas (R-Lilburn); Josh Clark (R-Buford); Matt Dollar (R-Marietta); Buddy Harden (R-Cordele); Brett Harrell (R-Snellville); David Knight (R-Griffin); Judy Manning (R-Marietta); Sean Jerguson (R-Holly Springs); Paul Battles (R-Cartersville); Paulette Rakestraw-Braddock (R-Dallas); Andy Welch (R-McDonough); Carl Rogers (R-Gainesville); Tom Weldon (R-Ringgold); Lee Anderson (R-Grovetown); Penny Houston (R-Nashville); Rick Jasperse (R-Jasper); Jason Shaw (Lakeland); Jason Spencer (R-Woodbine); Ron Stephens (R-Savannah); and Roger Williams (Dalton).
- Former state Representative and state Department of Transportation Member Jeff Lewis.
- Public Service Commissioners Stan Wise and Lauren “Bubba” McDonald.
- Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens.
- Hall County Commission Chairman Tom Oliver; Hall Commissioner Ashley Bell; Hall Commissioner Craig Lutz.
- Harrelson County Commission Chairman Allen Poole.
- DeKalb County Commissioner Elaine Boyer; DeKalb School Board member Paul Womack.
- Dawson County School Board Chairman Will Wade.
- Roswell City Councilwoman Becky Wynn; Roswell Mayor Pro Tem Jerry Orlans.
- Gwinnett County Sheriff Steve Cronic. [according to the Gingrich campaign, but actually Hall County Sheriff]
- Eddie Driggers, Chairman, Heart of Georgia Airport Authority; and John Clements, Vice Chairman, Heart of Georgia Airport Authority.
- Alan Curtis, Chairman, Cochran Airport Authority.
- Others endorsing include: Charles Loudermilk, chairman of the Board, Aarons, Inc.