Congressional staffers gone wild!

You may already have read about this on other websites, but I’m posting it here as a cautionary tale for those who will be spending the first months of 2012 under the Gold Dome.

For young men and women with ambitions toward a career in politics, working in a Congressional office can be a heady, almost dreamlike experience. Left unsupervised, the combination of youth indiscretion and close proximity to the nation’s levers of power produces results that can be ugly, messy and embarrassing for senior staff and even the representatives voters send to the Capitol to do the people’s work.

The Northwest Daily Marker, a political blog in Washington state, published excerpts from the twitter feeds of three staffers in the DC office of Congressman Rick Larsen (D-WA2). The young staffers discussed drinking on the job, the destruction of a taxpayer-funded Blackberry, and referred to the Congressman as “my idiot boss” and “a selfish a–hole.”

Needless to say, none of the three are still employed in Congressman Larsen’s office. All I can say is thank God there was no twitter when I was in my twenties.

And of course, it goes without saying, that no shenanigans like this ever occur under Georgia’s Capitol dome.

1. CobbGOPer says:

Of course it doesn’t happen at the Gold Dome, Todd. The average staffer age over there must be 50; at least it seems to me every time I’m down there the staff tend to be on the more “mature” side.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

And I probably shouldn’t mention ‘Babe Alley’ outside of erstwhile House Speaker Glenn Richardson’s office in the State Capitol which was stocked full of attractive young female lobbyists in high heels and short skirts, especially since I aspired to work there, so I won’t.

2. Baker says:

Wow, these kids are brilliant. They didn’t think anyone might notice this stuff? I went to the link and read the piece, them ‘discussing drinking on the job’ is a serious understatement.

3. Doug Deal says:

I suppose this is another example to why we need to stop hiring what amounts to children for staff positions in government and campaigns and actually pay real professionals to work in what should be a serious environment.

I am all for a good time, but what type of poor judgment skills must one have to publically tweet such things? These people were supposed to be assisting a member of Congress in the performance of his duties? No wonder Washington and every state capital is a circus.

It also does not reflect well upon the judgment of the Congressman either.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

The concept of Congress as a serious enviroment and congressmen with good judgment is just absolutely hilarious.

The average preschool class is more serious and has better judgment than Congress.

4. slyram says:

Look, congressional staffer have always been wild but new media gets the facts around faster. When I first started in Rep. Hatcher’s office, they had beer and wine in the cafeteria for M.O.C. who wanted to have a drink before flying. Staffers have long hours and receptions are hit around six o’clock before heading back to work.

I did my fair share of elbow-bending in college but at my first reception I asked for a rum and coke then handed the bartender a ten (downstairs in my office building). The guy said it was free and I knew I better stop drinking with a quickness. Of course, I didn’t stop totally but I wisely drew limits.

5. saltycracker says:

One misbehaving on the job is an employee problem, several is leadership or cultural failure.

When idealism ages into futility in a virtual world of codifying the “plan” by committee, the rank and file will find a personal “reward”.