“The beginning is over, the end hasn’t come yet. All I care about is now.” -Nucky Thompson
Here in Georgia:
- The Atlanta City Council nixed its previous redistricting maps and have come up with a council-drawn Map 5. So much for city planners. The next public hearing will be Monday, December 12, 6:00 p.m. in Council Chambers.
- Last night run-off results gave incumbents the boot in East Point, Dacula and Doraville.
- Soul/blues singer and Macon native Howard Tate passed away at 72.
- Bibb County commissioners are considering making the chairmanship a full-time, $100k gig. Is this to make way for a Macon-Bibb County consolidation?
- Students at Georgia Tech are rallying to carry guns on campus.
National stories of interest:
- A Tennessee homeowner was forced to watch her family’s home burn to the ground because she hadn’t paid the city’s ‘no exceptions’ $75 fire protection fee. How did that bill get passed?
- Republicans in Hollywood have a voice in Eric Cantor.
- Congressional insider trading may soon be illegal.
- Treasury Secretary Geithner supports a France-Germany plan to keep Europe alive.
- American values and the nostalgia of Osawatomie: class warfare versus the nation’s welfare.
Links I like:
- The nation’s #1 running back, Keith Marshall, has committed to UGA.
- Predicting the future of computing. 1876: the telephone; 2110: WiFi to the brain
- Alec Baldwin got kicked off of an AA flight for not turning his cell phone off. By the way, if you haven’t already, check out his new podcast, “Here’s the Thing” on WNYC.
- Put the coffee cup down and see for yourself the evidence of the true cost of education funding cuts.