Presidential Wednesday 11/30/11

It’s been painful for me, watching the Cain campaign slowly die. He was always a long shot candidate, but I figured his Presidential campaign would benefit him like his 2004 run for the Georgia Senate did. As you’ll recall Cain came out of nowhere in 2004. Because of his positive campaign and charismatic personality he performed better than expected and gained a lot of fans as a result. I thought a Cain Presidential campaign would do much the same on a national scale and for a while it seemed that would happen. Alas, that’s not been the case the last few weeks. As you know by now, Dale Russell lowered the latest boom on the Cain Train causing Cain to reassess where he’s going.

Cain sent out an email to supports late Tuesday that said:

Dear Patriots and Supporters,

As you probably heard yesterday, a troubled Atlanta business woman used national media outlets to promulgate a fabricated, unsubstantiated story about a 13 year affair with me. I am writing you today to assure you that this woman’s story is completely false.

I do know Ms. White. I have helped her financially at times over the past few years, just as I have helped many friends and acquaintances throughout the years. I thought Ms. White was a friend in need of a supportive hand to better her life.

Ms. White has made it apparent that she was abusing the friendship.

But now I am asking for your friendship. I am also asking for your prayers and support. This is a trying time for my family, my campaign, and for me. It is also a trying time for our country as we are all distracted from the truly important issues facing our nation.

This evening I have an important speaking engagement at Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan, where I will be outlining my foreign policy and national security plan. While recent events have taken a toll on me, the people in the audience this evening will not know it. I will deliver my message with vigor and enthusiasm.

Let me assure you, I am not deterred. America’s future is too important. We will continue on this journey to make America great once again.

Thank you and God bless.

Here’s the latest Real Clear Politics average for the GOP nomination:

Newt Gingrich continues to surge, leading in Iowa and South Carolina and gaining ground in New Hampshire. Gingrich’s positive intensity has risen quite dramatically as you might imagine. However, some say Newt Gingrich judges you.

Speaking of Iowa, social conservatives want to coalesce behind one candidate not named Mitt. They’ve winnowed the list down to four: Bachman, Gingrich, Perry, and Santorum. However a followup meeting was postponed.

Romney is putting more resources into Iowa, Perry wants to fire Bernanke and Geithner, and Huntsman has a plan to prevent bank bailouts.

If you haven’t seen the Bad Lip Reading videos of some of the Presidential candidates, check them out. Here’s Rick Perry’s.

Finally, Rick Santorum spoke at an event organized by the 7th District Republican Party. Aaron Gould Sheinin was there:

“You cannot have limited government without a good, decent moral society,” he said. “It cannot exist.”

To solve poverty in America, Santorum said, “get people to marry. In two-parent families in America, the poverty rate today, in the third year of a recession, is 8 percent.”

Single parents, he said, while often “heroic people,” are much more likely to fall into poverty, and their children go with them.

I was there too, tweeting. Read my tweets: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.

1. Engineer says:

You can’t help but notice how the above topic post ignores the fact that Ron Paul is polling 3rd in New Hampshire and 4th in Iowa (as shown on the realclearpolitics links posted above).

With Cain’s ongoing implosion and Perry’s continued downward slide, I can see a clear opportunity for Paul to slide up into a 3rd place spot nationally (esp. in Iowa and S. Carolina).

• Ed says:

So with two social conservatives imploding, you see how someone who isn’t a social conservative is going to attract those voters?

Is there a leap of logic too far even for Paul supporters?

• You’re right Engineer, Paul is tied for 3rd and polling well in Iowa.

I’m trying to keep this sorta Georgia focused since we’re a website about Georgia politics.

• Engineer says:

Understandable, but when you started discussing Iowa, New Hampshire, and S. Carolina (about half-way thru), it changed it to a national politics thread (to me at least).

• Engineer says:

I think you misunderstand. I instead assumed it was just an oversight (seeing as the article you linked made no mention of Paul either, I assumed you hadn’t heard), and as such I mentioned of the information regarding the polls.

However my point stands, your initial post literally made mention of every major candidate except him (even Huntsman was mentioned in your post). Just to double check, I’ll list the names off as I read them (not counting the chart that was posted initially):

Cain *check*
            Gingrich *check*
            Romney *check* (although technically first mentioned as “Mitt”)
            Bachman *check*
            Perry *check*
            Santorum *check*
            Huntsman *check*

Personally, I got a good chuckle over it.

2. 22bons says:

Primaries are tough, but cleansing. I have a hard time following the logic of social “conservatives” who don’t like Mitt Romney and appear to be abandoning Herman Cain but would consider voting for Newt Gingrich. If you judge them all by the same standards its nonsensical.

• Engineer says:

Not that social conservatives will matter as much this year. With the ongoing recession and debt crisis, fiscal conservatism and financial issues are going to be the main issues this election season.

• 22bons says:

I don’t believe that’s true in the Republican primary. Rick Perry and his implosion are exhibit one. His record and his statements on immigration are what have caused his campaign to derail. Subsequently not many seem to care what he did or what he has to say about taxes, regulation, and the economy.

• Engineer says:

>implying immigration is just a social issue.

When looking at the issue of immigration, it is at the least half fiscal.

Issues regarding immigration:
          – Jobs – Fiscal issue
          – Costs of services (including health and education) – fiscal and social issue
          – Amnesty/Deportation – social (with the costs and logistics of deportation being fiscal)

Not to mention, Rick Perry’s implosion was not created just from one stance he has on immigration. I doubt it helped him much, but his stance doesn’t put him much worse off than Newt on the issue (Newt has expressed on several debates he would prefer a limited amnesty program ie: red cards). However, if you must, here is a short list of some of the things that hurt Perry.

Rick Perry, the things that have killed his campaign so far (When looking at talking points and commentary regarding Perry.):
          -Bad Debate
          -Bad Debate
          -Bad Debate
          -Bad Debate (Up close and personal debating; remember the pics of him grabbing opponents and/or putting his hand on their shoulder at the debates?)
          -Worked on the Al Gore Presidential Campaign as supporter & staff member
          -Stance on immigration
          -The was he drunk moment speaking with a group of voters in New Hampshire.
          ( http://youtu.be/YSJv-2qfDNc )

Immigration is the least of his worries.

3. Three Jack says:

i’m with you buzz, sorry to see cain implode, but it wasn’t totally unexpected.

as for newt and his rise in the polls, i just hope those of us who said, ‘i will never support him again’ don’t regret supporting him again. i equate it to the old dallas tv show where sue ellen constantly returned to j.r. no matter how bad he screwed her over. i think she ended up wacked out on booze and pills.

• MSBassSinger says:

I can’t support Newt. If the two media-anointed “frontrunners” (Newt and Mitt) are are choices, we have to choose between the flip-flopper Mitt Romney, who believes in manmade global warming, government-run health care (including the personal mandate), and generally in big-government solutions; or, the flip-flopper Newt Gingrich, who believes in manmade global warming, government-run health care (including the personal mandate), and generally in big-government solutions.

I will support a conservative or vote “none of the above.” My goal is not to vote for who I think might win, but for who can best lead the US. If I am in the minority, and probably I am, then so be it.

• saltycracker says:

Newt continues to put the “his day has past” concern behind him. Wonder what his defecting staff has to say now ? He’s approaching full stride exciting mainstream conservatives.

Cain has been good entertainment with some ideas a continuing candidate needs to organize. Oddly, there are several troubled ladies with few supporting statements, photos, receipts and other compelling evidence to do in a guy in full denial of any inappropriate relationship.

4. MSBassSinger says:

I suspect that all these false accusations against Cain are being orchestrated by a Republican candidate. Matt Towery said, in a TV interview when the first false accusations broke, he would stake his life on it.

Exactly how could Cain have carried on this affair while he was battling stage 4 colon and liver cancer, helping his wife when she had heart problems, and not one single picture, sexually-oriented text message, gift, etc. be found?

The only two candidates with the money and political reach to carry this off are Romney and Gingrich. I would not put it past either of them. My gut tells me that it is Gingrich. Gingrich, IMHO, is the more underhanded of the two.

Even if you do not support Cain, consider this: Whichever Republican candidate is behind the false accusations becomes the nominee. You know the Obama campaign will use the scandal as an October surprise by revelaing the dirty tricks. The end result – an Obama 2nd term.

Better it is revealed now who it is, than to let Obama use it to win a 2nd term. Why are no reporters or political pundits digging into who is behind these women and reporting on that scandal?

• Doug Grammer says:

I think Perry has the money to pull it off as well. However, it is also possible that it’s a case of blood in the water and sharks are feeding. 4 to 20 women out of a whole nation decide to throw accusations without collaboration? It’s possible.

• MSBassSinger says:

That is entirely possible. However, with Perry sliding into oblivion, and Cain losing in the polls, Perry would not be attacking Cain now with yet another bimbo eruption, but Gingrich.

But a few things don’t add up:
        The sexual-harassment women all come forward about the same time, after years of silence, with high-priced attorneys, all seem to have troubled financial backgrounds – and no evidence of any improper act.
        Suddenly, when Cain gets a good attorney to handle the bimbo eruptions, the sexual-harassment women go silent.
        After a short time, someone gets a female acquaintance of Cain to claim a 13 year affair, during a time he is battling stage 4 colon and liver cancer, and caring for his wife when she had heart problems. No one who knows Cain knows this woman, sees any indication of an affair, and she produces no proof – such as pictures, love letters, sexually-oriented texts, etc.

All this seems too orchestrated to just be an unorganized feeding frenzy.