Cain Train coming to a halt?

Over at the National Review, Robert Costa reports that Herman Cain may soon drop out of the race for the Republican nomination:

In a conference call this morning, Herman Cain told his senior staff that he is “reassessing” whether to remain in the race. He told them he will make his final decision “over the next several days.”

All you need to do is look at the polls and see that his chances of winning have declined substantially. And even without the past accusations of sexual harassment surfacing, the fact that Cain was so gaffe prone that Republican voters would have had to stop giving him mulligans. It seemed that Cain and his campaign really thought that the gimmicky 9-9-9 plan, which he has never been able to explain or even respond to valid with a coherent answer, would take him to the White House.

While I disagree with Cain on many things and would never have cast a vote for him for president, he has always come across as a good man. We all should have preferred to see his candidacy fall based on merits of policy and inexperience rather than the accusations that have surfaced.

• Toxic Avenger says:

My bet is Gingrich. But good riddance. I mean it may be the accusations that did him in, but had he been the nominee, I’m relatively confident his mouth would have lost him the election. Shame, because we were looking forward to having some fun with him.

• Monica says:

Not Romney for sure!!! I suppose Gingrich but I’m turning focus to Senate/House races. We need to try to put decent people there instead of trying to beat Obama cause that is just not going to happen.. We don’t have a candidate.

1. Baker says:

I still don’t know what to believe here. If these women are not telling the truth, this is a truly tragic, horrible indictment of society or culture or media, whatever you want to classify it as. I agree with Jason that he wouldn’t have made a very good pres. candidate, but I think he could’ve been a fine VP choice. I mean, Joe Biden? Really? He’s definitely equal to that guy. To have that chance thrown away because of what may be false accusations is downright Shakespearean.

Another thought: Wouldn’t some second person who knew these women be willing to confirm what they are saying?

• Monica says:

There were several sources that confirmed, including a Republican pollster who said everybody knew about this at the NRA at the time Cain was there. They still liked him there, but he was flirtatious at least. And of course the two women that actually filed complaints (the other ones I’m not counting) had some kind of a way to support their claims or they would not have been paid off. Companies will rather settle than go to court, but they’re not going to pay just anybody for claims they cannot confirm. I’ve worked in corporate America, and I’ve seen these things happen.. This latest situation is supported by 60 calls and messages to this woman that is not a business associate, not a campaign worker, not a family member. Do married men call random women at 4 or 6 am?

2. CobbGOPer says:

He’s toast. There isn’t enough time before Iowa and New Hampshire to do any effective PR; voters tend to tune out during December. So he’s effectively done, might as well not open this new office on Saturday. Waste of money.

3. Justin Tomczak says:

Just posted on my Facebook – I’ve got no beef with Herman Cain, and really appreciate what he has brought to the debate. I do have to ask though, to the married folks out there, if you found out your spouse sent 60+ messages to some random, would it bother you/be a cause for concern? Again, I’ve got nothing against Hermanator, but would like to hear folks thoughts on this.

• ckingtruth says:

I’m not even married, but if I was in a serious relationship with someone who was making calls to someone of the opposite sex all hours of the day and night and I didn’t know them, it would be cause for concern. Someone laughingly suggested that maybe the 4 a.m. call was simply a call back and he was leaving a VM message. So then I’m thinking 1. You don’t call someone back that time of the morning not knowing whether or not they would pick up. 2. Wonder how long that call lasted? If it was pass a couple of mins there was a conversation.

• ted in bed says:

As a married guy ….. I minimize my social relationships with women. I don’t want there to be any doubt about my faithfulness. To me, its a matter of respect to my wife. I think she does the same, although she met Herman in a hotel elevator once (uh oh).

If someone accused me of infidelity, I would have no problem calling them liars. In that Herman lawyered up, I’ve concluded that he is in fact guilty of schtupping with women other than his wife.

I’m pretty disappointed as I wanted to support Herman and kept ignoring his gaffes. BUT, not being truthful and faithful is an issue for me. I’m not perfect but my heart and Mr. Up Twinkles belong to my wife. I don’t hang with married men who don’t have those standards.

As for where a hard-core GLOCK toting Conservative goes, Newt has the same fidelity issues as Cain. Plus, he’s more of a RINO than Mitt with his views on Global Warming, Guns, Amnesty,etc. Perry and Huntsman are out.

I think I’m going to relook at Michele. I may be passive aggressive and write in Sarah’s name.

• Monica says:

Good post, and by the way, I do the same. As a woman, I simply don’t put myself in a position where I’m alone with men or have calls from them unless it’s a one time situation and there’s a clear reason for that. You have to respect your spouse, AND the spouse or mate of the other person. I think most married people know that, and I wonder if Gloria Cain will come out and say that this is a mutual friend and she’s known about their “friendship” and that he’s been helping the woman financially. Because seriously, that’s the only thing that would stop me from assuming that Cain has had an affair… Somehow, not a word from Gloria. And especially the financial stuff, if you’re “helping” someone – both spouses know and agree on this kind of thing.

• ckingtruth says:

This is exactly why I never believed he was a serious candidate. Again, I believe Cain wakes up every morning as shocked as everyone else that he has made it this far. I firmly believe the best he was hoping for was wide-range name recognition and lots of book sales. There is no way you could believe you’d be the nominee with these partially buried skeletons lying around.

4. debbie0040 says:

I think it is time he step aside for the sake of his family.. I did not believe those sexual harassment claims but the 13 year affair seems credible. He should have been honest and not denied it. The old saying it’s the cover up that will get you is true. Cain denied it strongly but his attorney’s statement was pretty telling along with the phone logs..

I think Newt and Santorum will benefit. Newt will benefit the most as many had already been looking his way the past month..

5. Dave Bearse says:

“We all should have preferred to see his candidacy fall based on merits of policy and inexperience rather than the accusations that have surfaced.”

Not saying the accusations are true, but I for one have no qualms about his candidacy failing on the accusations and nothing else if they are true.

6. debbie0040 says:

I think Newt will be the primary beneficiary if Cain withdraws from the race. However, I think Santorum will pick up a point or two..

Newt could destroy Obama i n a debate and has a good grasp on issues. Newt has handled many crisis in his career and would do well against the Obama political machine..

There is no perfect candidate…

I think, at this point, Newt will be the one that challenges Romney. The more Karl Rove opens his mouth defending and advocating Romney, the fewer votes Romney will get. Most tea party activists despise Rove. I know I do.. I turn the tv channel everytime he is on..

Romney is too “plastic”. I heard someone on Fox News describe Romney best. He said Romney reminds you of someone that was created by Cold War East German Scientists to be the perfect candidate…