Morning Reads for Tuesday, November 22nd

November 22, 2011 6:27 am

by Jason · 36 comments

“Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.” – John F. Kennedy

Here in Georgia…
– You can now read Peach Pundit on your Kindle.
– Yes, Newt Gingrich, who George Will calls the “classic rental politician,” was a lobbyist.
– The last four polls in the GOP race for president show Gingrich with slight leads.
– BREAKING: Herman Cain doesn’t like Muslims.
– Coyotes are apparently rampant in Decatur.

National stories of interest…
– The Supercommittee was a super failure.
– The Mercatus Center warns at the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) will hurt the Internet as the government will be given the power to arbitrarily shutdown websites.
– Despite rumblings from Democrats that the House is in play next year, Sean Trende explains that accomplishing that feat will be quite a hurdle.
– Is Jon Huntsman worth a second look? Steve Chapman thinks so.
– According to Peter Schweizer, whose new book exposed insider trading in Congress, Warren Buffett receives insider information that may be beneficial to him.
– Donald Trump is still talking about a bid for president.
– Nick Gillespie gives us three reasons the feds shouldn’t bailout student loans.
– Chris Preble has some foreign policy-related questions he’d like the GOP candidates to answer at the next debate.
– Has Hezbollah outsmarted the CIA?

A few that I like…
– According to a recent study, half of Facebook users post political messages.
– Check out Mike Luckhovich’s tribute to Larry Munson.
– Georgia may wear those hideous all red uniforms in the SEC championship game.

Herb November 22, 2011 at 7:02 am

Let’s go Donald! He’s the only man who can both poll ahead of the GOP(Putting them in 3rd place) and lose handily to Obama, meaning 4 more years of peace and prosperity.

Charlie November 22, 2011 at 7:15 am

Is John Huntsman worth a second look?

Wouldn’t we have to give him a first look first?

Herb November 22, 2011 at 7:22 am

He’s one of the GOP’s better candidates, but I’d never vote for him.

Engineer November 22, 2011 at 10:03 am

He’s a nice guy and seems like a better choice than most of the GOP candidates, but he has a couple problems that are dragging him down. The religious fundamental crowd doesn’t seem to like him (for comments he’s made supporting the theory of evolution), and the others complain about him being the US ambassador to China (under Obama), then there is his stance on global warming and environmental sciences, so I doubt they would give him a second look.

benevolus November 22, 2011 at 10:17 am

I’m not sure if that’s funny or sad. Probably both.
His negatives:
Supporting evolution, one of the strongest, most documented, most visible, scientific principles we have. They can SEE it happening in the lab!
Ambassador- Served his country honorably and apparently with distinction. What was he supposed to do, say no?
Global warming/environment- another strongly documented and verified/confirmed scientific observation.
Mormon- But not so much that it would affect his policy-making.

But, Republicans can’t have someone who believes in SCIENCE! Shudder! Can’t have someone who might actually be able to talk civilly to the opposing Party! That is almost treason! Can’t have someone whose faith might extend a little beyond the King James Version. HERETIC! Might as well be a witch!

I know we Dems don’t always put up the best candidates, but fer cryin’ out loud, this is pathetic.

Engineer November 22, 2011 at 11:13 am

I get the feel from the comment that you might be getting me wrong there. I’m saying those are the issues that are weighing him down nationally. I personally have no issue with his stances on those 2 issues and have no problem with him being an ambassador under Obama(if anything we need somebody who knows how to speak the language and understands the mindset of our biggest trading partner and rival).

benevolus November 22, 2011 at 11:19 am

Not really a comment on you. I just think that you are right that those are serious issues for a lot of people.

chefdavid November 22, 2011 at 7:22 am

And we can get the AJC on the Kindle for cheaper than the ipad addition. http://www.amazon.com/The-Atlanta-Journal-Constitution/dp/B000MV9B98/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1321964315&sr=1-1 Wonder if you can read it on the Fire?

ted in bed November 22, 2011 at 7:59 am

Since the Obama-media is still bashing Cain, we can assume that he is still in the running. YEH!

Herb November 22, 2011 at 8:03 am

Cain/Gingrich or Gingrich/Arpaio would be fine with me. Obama would win with over 400 EV’s

Doug Grammer November 23, 2011 at 7:37 am

Well, at least you are being honest that you want President Obama to win.

Calypso November 23, 2011 at 10:19 am

I don’t think Herb as beaten around the bush on his desire as to whom should be our next president.

Herb November 23, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I thought I was clear in my desire to have a second term of Obama.

David Staples November 22, 2011 at 8:10 am

“If you encounter a coyote, clap your hands, yell and generally make a ruckus to scare it away.”

Or shoot it.

Andre November 22, 2011 at 8:32 am

Or just learn to co-exist with the coyotes.

Herb November 22, 2011 at 8:36 am

Amen, brother Andre! We need to be more Christlike in our encounters with the heathens, which means being more tolerant of them. God will extract his revenge in due time. This is why I say we need to ban all weapons.

chefdavid November 22, 2011 at 8:46 am

I say shoot it and then clap your hands, yell and generally make a ruckus that you finally got one of those bastards. Can’t tell you how many goats or pigs I lost over the years.

Dave November 22, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Shoot the damn things on site. Not only the goats and farm animals they kill but they prey on pets. Kill the varmits.

David Staples November 22, 2011 at 9:09 am

How about my horses? Should they learn to co-exist with the coyotes too? I’ll try showing them the article and suggest that they clap their hooves and generally make a loud ruckus, but I can’t guarantee that that’ll help. What about my chickens? They’re in a coop, but I’ve heard stories of coyotes breaking through the chicken wire and killing every chicken it could get to. I’d be happy to try and trap any coyotes I can if you’d like to adopt one. :-)

bowersville November 22, 2011 at 9:30 am

A Great Pyrenees or Anatolian Shepard works wonders on preventing livestock attacks from coyotes. Strong fencing required, especially with an Anatolian. My experience with the Anatolian has been that anything within hearing of the dog, the dog claims as his territory and every other wild four legged creature has to depart the territory. Starting them with the preferred stock, including chickens, as a pup has worked for me. The dogs are extremely protective of the livestock and need to be put up ( four sided tall dog type enclosures work best) before working with or medicating the animals. The dogs have been known to sense distress of the animals a take a chunk out of a careless owner’s hide.

An intact male Mammoth Jackass works too, but around mares you’ll end up with more mules than you know what to do with.

David Staples November 22, 2011 at 10:06 am

Yep, I’ve heard that about donkeys. The problem is that I’d have to put a donkey in each paddock to actually be effective for the horses and it’d have to free range to protect the chicken coop. Same with the dog… and I’d have to leave the dog outside at night to be effective… and I’m not big on free-ranging dogs. They tend to end up in the road or on neighbors property, etc. Unless someone wants to come trap and take away the coyotes, they’ll receive a 9mm slug if I can get the gun out in time. (The only one I’ve seen in the past year was a couple of weeks ago and it made it into the woods before I could get the tractor stopped.)

griftdrift November 22, 2011 at 11:25 am

Get a Ginny instead of a jackass. But the bullets work too.

Calypso November 22, 2011 at 11:36 am

jenny

griftdrift November 22, 2011 at 11:40 am

Autocorrect

Calypso November 22, 2011 at 11:58 am

They should change that term to autowrong.

Dave November 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Don’t trap them, David. Just shoot ‘em.

The Last Democrat in Georgia November 22, 2011 at 5:54 pm

“Or just learn to co-exist with the coyotes.”

And what better way to co-exist with coyotes than by killing every last one of them you see on site.

The Last Democrat in Georgia November 22, 2011 at 5:51 pm

“Or shoot it.”

I like the way you think…Sounds good to me!

saltycracker November 22, 2011 at 8:35 am

What the legislators need to read on Kindle is Michael Lewis’ new book “Boomerang”.

ABC News had a summary of 10 Economic Lessons learned from Boomerang:

It is unearned prosperity and the devisiveness it causes that is eating America away.

Buzz Brockway November 22, 2011 at 9:34 am

Thanks for the tip. I’ll obtain a copy.

I like Lewis’ books – recently finished “The Big Short” which I highly recommend.

saltycracker November 22, 2011 at 10:57 am

Kindle has it for under $10 –
“The Big Short” is a prerequisite read….

griftdrift November 22, 2011 at 8:52 am

Peter Schweitzer is an interesting fellow.

benevolus November 22, 2011 at 9:22 am

In a partisan hack kind of way.

Buzz Brockway November 22, 2011 at 9:30 am

Heard him talking about his book on Glenn Beck’s show. I’m going to have to read it.

griftdrift November 22, 2011 at 9:38 am

Apparently he thinks ideology determines whether or not you hug your children. Like I said. Interesting fellow.

Three Jack November 22, 2011 at 11:09 am

liz flowers (d) resigns as spokesperson for tsplost while paul bennecke (r) remains as tsplost chief promoter – http://blogs.ajc.com/political-insider-jim-galloway/2011/11/22/your-morning-jolt-a-one-man-investigation-and-a-request-for-whistle-blower-status/?cxntfid=blogs_political_insider_jim_galloway

seems things are backasswards here in ga, dems resigning from a tax increase proposal while gopers support it.

Comments on this entry are closed.