Larry Munson, Damn Good Dawg

Larry Munson, forever the voice of the Georgia Bulldogs, has passed away this evening at the age of 89. I’ll have a bit more to say about him tomorrow.

For now, the following are some of Larry’s best. Feel free to share your own memories below. RIP Larry, a damn good Dawg.

And here’s an ESPN tribute from a few years back:

1. 22bons says:

On this night the sugar is rising, not falling. Larry Munson breathed in the spirit of college football and he passed it on to millions in a way that no HDTV or sideline experience could.

2. Engineer says:

He will definitely be missed. No broadcaster has ever brought the goosebumps he did when calling a game. RIP Larry, give the UGA’s a good scratch behind the ear for us.

3. bowersville says:

Growing up in Habersham county and being the son of an Auburn graduate I only attended games in Athens when the Tigers were playing the Bulldogs between the hedges.

As a teenager I listened to Munson on the AM dial and Larry’s excitement and highly descriptive word choices allowed me to “see” the game on the radio.

4. Being a person who has dealt with loss of loved ones in the last year and a half, I’m thankful that Larry is at peace. He will always be the voice of the Bulldog Nation and in the years to come, I’ll be telling my grandchildren yet to come about the great days listening to Larry Munson call a Georgia Game.

If I didn’t go to a game, I’d turn on the game on TV and mute the sound and then listen to Larry call the game. I agree with Charlie, Larry Munson a “Damn Good Dawg!”

Please be in prayer for his family and friends.

Martha Zoller
    UGA Class of ’79

5. drjay says:

obviously ; i loved munson and would often turn down the tv to listen to his call on the radio when i was home watching a game–but two of my favorite memories of him have nothing to do with sports really–i remember him doing the afternoon drive on 750 when i was in athens, and they would do “hooked on munson” where he would read the lyrics of songs –he did “man on the moon” by rem one time and i laughed out loud as he went “yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah” completely not following the beat of the song–dificult to rely how in words, but trust me, it was funny….i also used to enjoy the insight on sports briefs in the morning that rarely had anything to do with sports and was often him talking about how much he disliked whatever movie his “movie group” had just seen…

6. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Good ol’ Larry Munson, not only a “Damn Good Dawg” but also a “Dawg’s Best Friend”.

There will never be another like him as that type of loyality and inspiration is just simply irreplaceable.

7. Dave says:

Munson will forever be the most important Bulldog to ever live. Moreso than Herschel, Vince or anyone. Today is a sad, sad day. The only thing I can compare this death to is that of the old Bulldog Lewis Grizzard in ’94. And this is bigger than even Lewis. To the Bulldog Nation, to quote Lewis upon the death of his beloved black lab, Catfish, “my own heart or what is left of it, is breaking.”

• Three Jack says:

i’m with you dave, the 2 best dawgs ever — lewis and larry. i can only imagine them along with ol catfish getting together to watch the dawgs from high above as we whip the north ave trade school boys next week in preparation for the sec championship.

8. Dave says:

Can’t wait to see what Luckovich’s cartoon will look like tomorrow. I’m sure I’ll be buying the color version for my wall, though, just like I did with his cartoon than showed Catfish bounding out of the Pearly Gates to see Lewis.

• Noway says:

Another touching cartoon by Luckovich. I’ll be in line to buy it when it becomes available in color. It will go beside the one I have with Lewis and Catfish and the one he did for UGA.

9. SallyForth says:

Dave, you and I must think alike – my first thought was that losing Munson takes a little piece of my heart like the day Grizzard died. Two of our greatest Bulldog fans ever… Munson will soon have the seraphim singing “Hunker down, hairy Dawgs!”

One of my special memories is a great fall Saturday afternoon at Sanford Stadium in 1984, when I was able to go into the broadcast booth and sit on the stool next to Larry Munson as he actually called the game. We laughed and talked during commercials – a finer gentleman you’d never meet. RIP, Larry, we will never forget you.

10. Ken says:

Losing Larry Munson to eternity has put an irreplaceable hole in the soundtrack of my life. There was none better at wringing every drop of emotion out of a game with his words and his voice . Millions have hung on every syllable, every nuance, every flicker of heartfelt emotion brought forth by Georgia’s biggest fan. And now there is silence.

Hunker down, Bulldog Nation, hunker down; this one hurts and we’re reeling, but let’s hunker down one more time for Larry.