Two Walker County Democrats Are Now Republicans

Last night at our Walker County Republican Party meeting, two-thirds of the remaining Democrats who hold elected office in Walker County switched parties (ok, there were only 3 elected Democrats left).  Walker County’s Sheriff Steve Wilson and Tax Commissioner Carolyn Walker both announced that they were intending to switch and run as Republicans.

My family and I have known both Steve and Carolyn for years.  They are both conservatives, and were elected during a time when Georgia Democrats were still conservative.  They both are very popular among the voters in Walker County and both could have easily won reelection as Democrats.  The reason that they changed is because of personal convictions and seeing that their values aligned most with the Republican Party over the Democratic Party.  I know we’ve discussed the dynamics of party switching time and time again, but I for one am very pleased to call Sheriff Wilson and Commissioner Walker one of our own and offer a warm welcome.

This now leaves 1 elected Democrat in Walker County.  The former Walker County Democratic Party chairman, and former 2-time Democratic opponent to Sen. Jeff Mullis, is now a Republican.  I believe he is sincere in telling me that he cannot be a part of a liberal Democratic Party.  The Walker County Democratic Party has pretty much died off and no longer has a hold on Walker County like it did for many, many years.  My county is very conservative, and many of the “old school” Southern Democrats hold to those conservative values.

Our values haven’t changed…it’s the values of both parties that have changed.

1. Andre says:

In light of the fact that, in Nathan’s own words, “The Walker County Democratic Party has pretty much died off . . .“, I wonder what might happen if someone attempted to de-certify the Democratic Party of Georgia using the provisions of O.C.G.A. § 21-2-111 (which states):

Each political party shall establish and maintain a state executive committee exercising state-wide jurisdiction and control over party affairs and a county executive committee in each county in which it holds a primary, exercising county-wide jurisdiction and control over party affairs.

I’ve counted twenty-three counties where there is not currently a Democrat county chair in place.

It’s just a shadow and a thought that seems to linger in my mind.

• Toxic Avenger says:

The DPG is doing just fine. Tell me does and has the Republican Party had a party in every county? Do they and have they had elected officials in every county?

Again, get a life.

• Calypso says:

T.A.: The DPG is doing just fine.

Rest of State: Look, matey, I know a dead party when I see one, and I’m looking at one right now.

T.A.: No no it’s not dead, it’s, it’s restin’! Remarkable party, the Georgia Democratic, idn’it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

Rest of State: Now that’s what I call a dead party.

T.A.: Well, it’s…it’s, ah…probably pining for the fjords.

• Toxic Avenger says:

Right, there are no elected Democrats in this state. You know, the state that voted 45% for a Democrat in 2008?

Not currently in the majority, sure. Dead? Keep wishing.

• Calypso says:

Actually TA, I wish the Dem party was stronger at the state level. The Repubs need to be kept in check and not be given the loose reins they have now. I would certainly dislike it if the R’s ever get a Constitutional majority.

• ” I wonder what might happen if someone attempted to de-certify the Democratic Party of Georgia using the provisions of O.C.G.A. § 21-2-111″

I’d say if the Libertarian Party isn’t allowed on the ballot without the required number of petitions because of the current Georgia laws, then perhaps both the Republican and Democratic Parties should be required to abide by the law as well. 🙂

• Andre says:

According to the Official Directory of U.S. Congressmen, State and County Officers, provided by the Georgia Secretary of State, there are only two Democrat elected officials left in Walker County — Chief Magistrate William J. Day and School Board member Susan Wells.

• Nathan says:

Judge Day retired earlier this year, and his successor, Judge Shelia Thompson, has declared to run as a Republican. Susan Wells is the only elected Democrat that’s left.

2. Howard Roark says:

Last night at the Franklin County GOP meeting Bobby Martin (Tax Commissioner) and Joe Greene (BOE Chairman) both were introduced and announced that they would run as Republicans next cycle. Both share conservative values and were first elected when only democrats were elected in Franklin county. How times change.

Sheriff Steve Thomas was in attendance as well as Missy Holbrook (Clerk of Court). Both were elected as democrats 8 and 22 years ago respectively.

3. racinwithrex says:

Like alot of counties here in North Ga… Better vote in the local primary because the election is over after that….. This year in Dade County, I don’t know of any race that will have a vote cast in the General Election other than the President. Funny thing is that the Local Republican Party meeting can’t even get enough folks to have a quorum. We just want to stand for something when it’s election time…. We just ain’t “fer” them Liberals!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Nathan says:

I hate that Dade’s county GOP is having issues with participation. However, at least our county’s Republican Party has been seeing record attendance as of late. Yesterday, we had somewhere around 45 or 50 people in attendance at last night’s meeting. People are wanting to get involved.

4. racinwithrex says:

Doug Grammer November 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm
    To be fair, 30 of them are running for office…j/k. lol…lol…lol…lol…

Good One Doug, I’m sure that will happen here also after the first of the year… But I don’t think folks realize how hard it is to “be active” in your local party. It’s pretty hard when all you want is what is best for your county, state and country and not what is in it for you… I still happen to believe that we can do better even in our own party though….. We must…………..

• Doug Grammer says:

I can’t speak for everyone, but I’ve been going to Walker County GOP meeting for almost 20 years. Many of the people in the last two or three meetings are people whom I had never met before. I find it a little funny that the first time some people show up to a GOP meeting or function is when they are announcing that they are running for office. Walker County will be blessed with a large number of candidates in the GOP primary. For the last two or three meetings I keep getting asked if I am announcing that I am running for an office. I’ve had people outside of the meetings asking me to run. I might surprise a lot of people and answer yes sometime soon.

5. Herb says:

Glad they finally switched. They were never true Democrats, and only served to tarnish the good name of the Democratic Party with their Conservative tendencies.

6. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

My name isn’t “The Last Democrat in Georgia” for nothing…

Although, switching from the Democrats to the Republicans is about the equivalent of a drug-addled prostitute switching pimps, the abuse, the addiction and the shameless exploitation is still there, only the new pimp uses his right hand to smack you around instead of the left.

7. rense says:

So long as the Georgia GOP continues to embrace and reward party switchers as opposed to people who actually have an ideological and political background as Republicans, current and future GOP leadership will be little different from past Democratic leadership, and what is more the differences that exist will be for the worse.

And enough with the claims of how conservative the Georgia Democrats used to be. Zell Miller was far more conservative as a U.S. Senator than he ever was as a governor or lieutenant governor. Joe Frank Harris and George Busbee weren’t conservatives. Neither were Sam Nunn, Wyche Fowler or Herman Talmadge. Being right of center on a few issues like crime, defense, gun rights and some fiscal/social welfare policies isn’t conservative. More to the point: one isn’t a consistent ideological and political conservative merely by not being an urban or counterculture left-liberal. Democrats in Georgia were as supportive of the New Deal and plenty of other big government ventures as Democrats everywhere else, and they weren’t particularly socially conservative either.

But hey, if the Georgia GOP prefers their pack of RINOs to putting in the hard work of going out and supporting and electing actual Republicans, that’s their choice.

8. I think it’s about time the rest of the Democrats moved over to the Republican Party as well and just became one big party… both parties seemingly want to grow government. Sure, the R’s have been talking the talk of shrinking government for a while now, but that didn’t stop them from passing Medicare Part D, TARP, farm subsidies to pay farmers to NOT grow food or any number of other new government programs and expenditures…

• rense says:

That is basically what has happened in Georgia anyway. Look at the records of Deal (though Deal is doing a decent job of governing), Perdue and the rest of the “used to be Democrats” gang, you don’t see much actual conservatism going on there, especially of the variety that requires the type of creative, independent thought necessary to take positions that diverge from the national party because they benefit our own state. The Democrats who ran this state forever may have had their flaws (segregation being one!) but at least they had the intelligence and courage to put Georgia’s interests above being ideological bagmen for the national party and the activist crowd. The “used to be Democrats” now running the Georgia GOP don’t, and that is a shame.

9. americancitizen says:

Walker County Democrats are more conservative. Sorry Sheriff, but the I am a Christian, deacon, against gay marriage and abortion, are pathetically weak arguments for abandoning the “Walker County” Democrats who have put you in office repeatedly. You can do better than that. If Carolyn Walker was running unopposed, I bet she doesn’t switch. She’s scared of facing republican opposition as a Democrat because right now the republicans are in the majority. Won’t be surprised if both do not get re-elected.