Mic Check! for George Chidi, Occupy Atlanta’s new Minister of Propaganda

Errin Haines of the AP, writing about the new alliance between Atlanta Hip Hop Day and Occupy Atlanta, notes that the hippies have a new spokesperson:

Occupy Atlanta spokesman George Chidi says he hopes a resolution can be reached with the city in the coming days.

“It isn’t clear what’s going to happen Monday night,” Chidi said, referring to the mayor’s executive order, which expires at 5 p.m. on Monday. “I assume negotiations are going to continue. We really hope the city stands with Occupy Atlanta. We are committed to nonviolence. We are committed to occupation. We’ll just have to see what happens. I think Kasim Reed has been acting with respect. We want to be respectful. We also need to make the point.”

Chidi first came to our attention as an apologist for the hippies in his comments on an earlier article. I’m confident he’ll be a much more articulate than the previous rabble. Congratulations, comrade. Welcome to the Occupation.

Mic Check!

1. bowersville says:

It should be obvious to Mr. Chidi that Mayor Reed has been acting with respect AND IN GOOD FAITH. Just as a reminder, Mayor Reed issued the executive order after members of Occupy expressed over night anxiety by the police presence. He surely recalls the statements made to the AJC that some Occupiers were afraid the police would raid and arrest them overnight (paraphrased).

It’s also obvious by Mr. Chidi’s statement “I assume negotiations are going to continue” that negotiations are ongoing and will continue. As to the outcome and decisions made by the Mayor and City Council as to whether the 5:00 pm expiration of the Executive order will be extended, who knows?

However, if it’s not and 5:00 pm remains intact, Mr. Chidi’s is committed to nonviolence. We’ll see. Surely peaceful nonviolent arrests to make a point and show commitment to a cause can be negotiated by Mr. Chidi.

• Cassandra says:

So I went to the Park today, gorgeous Fall like weather and quite a few tents, folks milling about, nobody really saying or doing much. There were some ladies setting up a yoga circle, the bearded guy in doeskin leathers, with a bike and all sorts of signs on it.

Quite a few homeless, and a large wooden fence segment with a dozen multicolored Sharpies so that one could write their sentiments on it.

AS I left, I asked a GA State University bicycle cop what he thought would happen on Monday. His response was a classic example of the Law of Unintended Consequences.

“How does the Mayor think the Police can ever enforce ordinances prohibiting people from sleeping the the Park now? We have worked on cleaning up the Park for years. I know I won’t be enforcing a sleepover prohibition, I am no hypocrite” That ought to help visitors spend time and money in the newly renovated Fairlie-Polar District.

• Rick Day says:

I’ve been down there with moral and material support. I own land and I own my own home. I ‘occupy’ it when I’m not in Atlanta running businesses and creating jobs for slobs like you, David. And yup, several of my employees on their time off is down there in the trenches, and, unlike you sitting at a desk with a laptop, is out in the rain exercising their right to protest. You are exercising your right to flap your gums.

See how America works? We can ALL stereotype each other.

Oh. So. Fail.

• “I ‘occupy’ it when I’m not in Atlanta running businesses and creating jobs for slobs like you”

That’s great, Rick… it really is. Perhaps you should provide a place for these protesters to gather day after day so they don’t have to occupy a [b]public park[/b]. But since you’ve gone the insults route instead of the open and honest discussion route, just how many high tech jobs do you create, Rick? I typically respect your opinion though I may disagree with it from time to time… but you’ll have to excuse me if I’m not of the high caliber of people that you employ – from standing at a door collecting money for entry or pouring drinks or whatever else. I’m curious – just how many jobs in the technology sector have you created?

You’re better than the second grade / name-calling type level of discussion that I expect from some others here that you just displayed with your comment. All I suggested was that public parks weren’t created for the purpose of continual occupation by individuals or groups. Want to protest? Fine! I even agree with some of the things I’ve heard from the group. But it’s time to leave the park.

I’ve been to the Spring 4th center once before and have been considering coming down to one of the DubStomp type events at some point down there. I’m not as bad of a guy as you might think I am. 🙂

• David writes, “Perhaps the Occupy Atlanta crowd should buy a piece of property to hold their protest from. Then they can “occupy” it all year round.”

They do. It’s called the Georgia Democratic Party.

2. ricstewart says:

Todd, with all due respect, is it possible to find a different format for posting Occupy Atlanta/Wall Street updates on Peach Pundit? Perhaps organizing them into one entry that is updated as things develop? Or a separate page?
    It seems like the front page has been filled with nothing but Occupy stories for the past week or two. I realize it’s a relevant current event, but it’s frustrating to dig through Occupy headlines to find other stories on PP.

• Rick Day says:

ric,

Protip: they got nuttin else. What they going to talk about, Leader Cain? What a gret Deal™ they have in government?

pfft. I remain skeptical. Frankly, I think a hot hippy chick turn down Todd’s advances on that first day, so he is taking his scorn out on half the country. But when you have Front Page Rights™ like he does, well…. *shrugs* ya get what ya pay for.

• Rick, they’re down to “half the country?” That’s quite a drop from the self-proclaimed “99%”.

(and hey–Sounds a lot like Obama’s poll numbers dropping… 😉 )

3. Todd Rehm says:

Three things, ricstewart.

1. I appreciate your input. Sincerely. But there’s really not a whole lot going on right now, politically, in Georgia that’s at all interesting. I’ve posted yesterday and today on:

a. six posts on Occupy Atlanta
    b. PSA on state health benefits
    c. Covington police arrest mayoral candidate
    d. Social media and politics
    e. mormon ad campaign and presidential politics
    f. two pieces on SD 28 race

so OccupyAtlanta represents 50% of my posts in the last 48 hours. I cannot control what anyone else posts.

But OccupyAtlanta is interesting to me and so I write about it. I also have the ability to bring original photography, video and analysis on that. The others, not so much. No photos for SD28 and that’s boring to me.

I’m also working on a piece about the City of Brookhaven, one about Snowjam Babies, and one on a proposal, now dead, to run commuter rail up the CSX/WARR into Cobb County.

2. Judging from the analytics we get overnight, readers are reading the OA stories much more than anything else we write. I understand that some of you are sick of it, but apparently some are not. Those analytics are worth more in my mind than the comments of a couple folks who are sick of OA.

3. There are some neat things that WordPress allows you to do behind the scenes that might accomplish some of what you want. There’s probably a plug-in that would allow you to hide all OA stories. But I don’t have control over the backend here either.

4. Rick Day says:

PS Todd –

BTW thanks for the Childi lead. I’ll look into hiring his firm.

Had no idea these type services exist. Thanks for educating me! 🙂 Free Markets FTW!

5. gchidi says:

Comrade … I love it. Get me a little wool hat with a red star on the front.

Seriously, people. I’m an ardent capitalist. Most of the folks in the Occupy movement are, too. I run a small business. I have even voted for Republicans from time to time (gasp!)

I don’t want to proselytize here (but why should I be different!) but many of the participants aren’t just “after free stuff from the government.” Many think that the country is headed toward a second round of bailouts of financial services firms, and that the lobbying power of Wall Street will allow it to happen unless people are out in force RIGHT NOW to stop it.

I spoke briefly in front of the Bank of America building — to roaring applause — about establishing a financial services firm-funded risk insurance pool to pay for bailouts, for a neutral risk regulator capable of seeing if different trading desks on Wall Street have enough correlated trades to merit warnings, and for a mechanism in place to identify and break up too-big-to-fail financial institutions before they require bailing out. To which I might add — I think it would be useful to take a real hard look at quant-driven computer trading by a few firms like Goldman Sachs, which lends itself to serious, under-the-radar market manipulation and the potential for more flash crashes like the one last May.

None of these measures is anti-capitalist or even anti-free-market, unless you define capitalist free market economics as the right to do things that will result in the market completely blowing up.

I’m protesting because even reasonable measures like the ones I’ve described are lost in the crap that is politics right now. Sane, pothole-filling policy is subsumed in partisan garbage and its destroying the country. I’m mad as hell about it.

6. Todd Rehm says:

Make sure they’re paying you in dollars, not old rubles.

Your gift to the Occupy Atlanta people, George, is your ability to condense a rational argument from the vapor of goofiness and idealism that hang over the Woodruff Park encampment.

Here are my questions to you: first, do you really believe that the mob outside BofA understood what you were talking about; and second, do you have to run your statements through the people’s microphone and consensus process?

As for the wool hat, I hope to be selling such apparel, spun from free-range cruelty free wool in third-world sweatshops, at the park by Saturday morning. Do you think $34 is too much?