Spoiled Brats Whine In Public To Adults

From the AJC’s Laura Diamond:

About 20 colleges students were ordered to leave the State Board of Regents meeting Tuesday afternoon after their chanting and yelling disrupted the meeting.

University System staff and the regents had just begun discussing potential budget cuts when students chanted “chop from the top” and “no fee hikes, no furloughs.”

Congratulations, imbeciles. You just unlocked your “Speak Truth To Power” badge on 4Square. And accomplished nothing else.

There are many ways to get your message to elected and appointed officials. This is one that assures your entire message, valid though it may be, will be ignored and discarded.

Brats.

1. OleDirtyBarrister says:

“It’s not fair, no one has ever had to pay their own tuition before and no one has ever faced tuition hikes and cutbacks during tough economic times.”

Oh wait….

The Bd of Regents and the states colleges need to seriously evaluate the amount of duplication in curriculum across the state’s colleges and the utilization. The increase in operating costs over the last 20 years and annual escalation rate is absurd. They have the buying power of the govt but still can’t save a dime. Only a bunch of liberal academics could screw things up so badly.

2. seenbetrdayz says:

Give students the power to vote for board officials and it would likely cut down on these sorts of displays. It might actually cut down on board officials, period.

• lostinatl says:

As a college student, and having had the unfortunate pleasure of several conversations with GSPHE officers and members, if the level of maturity I’ve seen in them so far is the level they would use to vote for board officials I can say that’s probably the most dangerous suggestion for higher education I’ve ever heard.

• seenbetrdayz says:

Well, there is the kind of government that people bring upon themselves, and then there is the one that is forced upon them, and only one of those two is deserved.

You are perhaps right. Though, I would be willing to try it. Appointed (read: unaccountable) officials who rule from the top just never have appealed to me.

• seenbetrdayz says:

Let me add though that there is a lot of waste and reckless spending that occurs right at the university/college level. I have seen this as a college student myself. Since 2005, tuition rates at my college have nearly doubled—to pay for downright unnecessary stupid stuff, like brick-inlaid parking lots and elaborate conference centers that the students never use.

I’d redirect these ‘brats’ to their own deans/administration if they feel that there are ‘chops’ to be made.

• macho says:

Makes perfect sense, let consumers of a product determine the price of a product. Perhaps McDonalds could start including board ballots inside their Happy Meal containers.

• seenbetrdayz says:

That’s kind of how it works in most situations. Producers are free to set the price of a product, but the consumer behavior is what really determines whether or not it’s a good price. (price too high, consumers won’t buy). Now, having said that, there’s much to be said about how the ready availability of student loans and grants have encouraged higher tuition prices, since 3rd party payers have entered the system, and there’s been less incentive to control costs.

3. saltycracker says:

Maybe we need to move the lottery to the DOT and get both the regents and students off the teat for a bit. Now that’d be a road trip.
    Student loan problems are rising dramatically too.

4. Jane says:

I remember back in the 80’s a bunch of rich kid’s from Emory were protesting Star Wars funded projects on GTech Campus. They did not understand that a significant number of GTech students were on scholarships funded by the Reagan defense build up. Needless to say the Red Diaper Dopper Babies were chased off campus by the Reagan Youth.

5. cheapseats says:

This article is quite puzzling – what other avenues do these students have available to them to air their grievances?

I’m guessing that the true “spoiled brats” were too hung over to notice or care since their parents are paying for their ride through Unicorn Land.

The Board of Regents has always (and I mean for decades) been packed with the power-broker friends of which-ever goobers were in power and have never really understood the majority of serious students.

Please tell me, seriously, what else can students do to make their voices heard?

• seenbetrdayz says:

Exactly. Charlie might not agree with the tactics here, but this is expected behavior from people who have no recourse.

• saltycracker says:

Enabled, entitled and economically challenged applies to a high percentage on both sides so which one should we hold a bit more accountable?

• seenbetrdayz says:

Not sure which sides you’re talking about.

Typically, the people hold government officials accountable. That’s pretty much American government 101. Or at least, that’s how it used to work. We keep letting our government get away with things so maybe, even if given a chance to hold them accoutable, there’d be no accountability and that of course would be the people’s fault, not the system’s. Right now, I’m thinking it’s the system.

Regents are appointed by the governor and therefore are essentially insulated from public outcry—unless you think that people are going to throw out the governor that appointed the regents (which would be unlikely, since the governor’s role encompasses much more than education, and you’d have to get enough people who are more interested in those other issues to take up a specific interest in how colleges in this state are being managed, in order for there to be any real pressure on the governor). Point being:

It would be much easier to separate the education system from the rest of the governor’s duties and have a system of real accountability by direct election.

• macho says:

They have plenty of recourse: go to a commuter college, enroll in a community college for two years for your core curriculum courses (while you have a job and save up a college nest egg) then transfer to a four-year school, you could put off college altogether for a year or two (while money is saved from working), learn a trade, etc…

I’ve become very cynical towards these college students who can’t afford tuition from watching too many kids abuse the system. I have a member of my extended family, who lives in Duluth, but chooses to live in a new apartment at GSU, instead of commuting. She’s living the good life on student loans and credit card debt and has never worked a day in her life. In five or ten years, she will be part of a group that I will be told to be sympathetic towards (as the government reaches its hand into my back pocket), because she is smothered in student debt.

• Charlie says:

They have the same rights as the rest of us, and the same path (or lack thereof) as the rest of us.

As we’ve seen here before, and on this topic, there is a certain segment within the college population who demands to be treated as adults on policy matters but still claims the right to reserve the rights to act like a child.

Act like a child, get treated like children. Want to really solve the problem? Act like grownups and learn how to fight them using thier own rules.

6. Toxic Avenger says:

Question, Charlie.

What is your opinion of Tea Partiers speaking out at town halls, sometimes doing so while interrupting the town hall itself?

What about Rep. Joe Wilson disrupting the State of the Union by yelling ‘YOU LIE’?

This is a double-edged sword. I implore you to call those tea partiers “brats” and “imbeciles.” Please do so, right here, and right now. Because unless you are willing to label tea partiers as such as well, then you are a plain and simple hypocrite.

• seenbetrdayz says:

If I’m not mistaken, Charlie doesn’t really care for the Tea Party.

Charlie is a bit like Gunnery Sergeant Hartman of “Full Metal Jacket.”

It’s impossible for him to be a hypocrite, because he is disgusted by all people equally. I mean that as a compliment, I guess.

• Toxic Avenger says:

Oh, that’s fine. I just want Charlie to come out publicly and say that Tea Partiers are whiny brats. If he has the chutzpah to call students protesting their tuition increasing while schools provide less and less for them, that’s his right. I’m just asking that he then turns that same ire to the more conservative “whiny brats” in the Tea Party. Unless he wishes to hedge his bets, and say that just Democrats can whine?

• Charlie says:

For someone that comments here regularly, you really don’t read much, do you?

Instead of commanding me to act like a trained monkey, why don’t you look through some threads and see what I think about Joe Wilson, the Tea Party (which, I’ll give you a hint, I don’t even think is a co-herent, monolithic group, but a bunch of disparate individuals speaking under the same banner), or any other group you think I should denounce.

You do your homework, find where you think I’ve been a hypocrite, and then challenge me on it.

But I guess you’d rather avenge something, which you probably think means upsetting a meeting so you too can get your 4Square badge, rather than doing your own homework.