Did someone say ‘redistricting’ …

As we saw earlier, the Georgia General Assembly has approved the proposed redistricting maps in the most unsurprising news of the day. So here’s what’s being said around the state …

Sen. Mitch Seabaugh said giving Fulton County, a traditional Democratic stronghold, seven Republican state legislators is nothing more than an ‘innocent byproduct’ of the process. Um, OK.

– Two Republicans – Rep. Martin Scott of Rossville and Rep. Mark Hatfield of Waycross – voted against the GOP-engineered House maps.

– Think it’s only Democrats opposed to the recently approved plans? Think again. The Hall County GOP has filed a formal opposition to the House redistricting plan. As Todd pointed out earlier, there are rumblings the governor isn’t terribly pleased with how Hall County has been carved up either and it’s lines could be re-evaluated in the Senate.

– And it’s not just Hall County Republicans raising a ruckus as folks in overwhelmingly conservative Oconee County are nervous about Rep. Doug McKillip’s pitch. Former Oconee County Commission Chairman Wendall Dawson is upset and wants a primary challenge against him, and multiple locally elected officials have voiced their disagreement with the county being cut in two. The Oconee Enterprise quotes current Oconee County Commissioner Jim Luke suggesting that McKillip struck a deal with Rep. David Raltston, the Speaker of the Georgia House …

“This is almost exactly what I would have guessed ,” said Commissioner Jim Luke, “as soon as I heard that Mr. McKillip had made a deal with the State House. I don’t know that I like those kinds of deals. I don’t know if it will work out the best for us.”

Luke lives within the newly crafted district McKillip would represent.

– Speaking of party switchers,  as Charlie shared, Jim Galloway is reporting that Senate Republicans have asked Democratic Sen. Doug Stoner to join the cool kids on the other side of the aisle.

– If didn’t do so yesterday, take some time to read through Kyle Wingfield’s excellent analysis about redistricting and Milton County.

1. DoubleDawg3 says:

What’s up with the Forsyth County combo of Dudgeon and Mark Hamilton (shown on AJC’s latest interactive map up tonight) – are they in the same district now, or is that a mistake (or is Hamilton running for something else such that it wouldn’t be a conflict?)

The same for Jay Neal and Martin Scott.

• ~M~ says:

Former is the AJC’s mistake. They are in different districts.

If I were to guess on the second, it’s to get rid of Scott.

• David says:

it wouldn’t be to get rid of Martin. It has been public for a while now (much to my disappointment) that he is not seeking re-election. I think the times free press did an article on it a couple months ago.

• atticuspatton says:

As far as Forsyth County–it is my understanding that Mark Hamilton will stay in the same district but Dudgeon will move into a new district…but Forsyth will still be left with an empty seat in the north part of the county—within county lines.

• Gary Cooper says:

Mark Hamilton will go to District 24 (he is currently D23) and will still represent most of the area he currently serves. Mike Dudgeon will go from current D24 to D25 and will still have some of his constituency from South Forsyth while adding the Johns Creek area to his district. Forsyth will also have seats in the southwestern most portion of the county (D22) and the northeastern most corner (D27).

Source: http://www.forsythnews.com/section/1/article/9707/

• Gary Cooper says:

And I forgot to mention that Forsyth will also be adding the newly created D26 which at glance is a Forsyth only district. Being a county resident, this district will possibly create a fun primary to watch as several prominent county leaders are said to be eyeballing an open state house district.

2. Doug Grammer says:

Martin Scott is a good man and I’d like to hear his reasoning of voting no. No map is perfect, and I think I can see a few flaws in this one, but I can live with it. Scott and Neal wouldn’t be in the same district.

• ugadog says:

Who will run? Whoever it is just had a shot at an open seat in 2010 and then again in 2011 and didn’t take it. Why would someone want to run against an incumbent backed by leadership but not want to run in an open seat. Doesn’t make sense to me.

• 22bons says:

HR is right on this one. McKillip can call himself a Republican if he wants, but primary voters are not going to buy it. I distinctly remember reading a McKillip op-ed a few years back and shaking my head in disbelief at the gulf between his expressed views and my own. I can’t find the piece I’m thinking of at the moment but here’s another one where McKillip proposes a 1.5 billion dollar tax hike — and get’s called out by Buzz Brockway:

• ugadog says:

That may be true, but who is going to look at this district that they just passed on twice when it was an open seat and say “Gee, that open seat didn’t tempt me, but now that there is an incumbent with $100K in the bank, I want to run.”

3. ForsythMike says:

The renumbering of districts in Cherokee and Forsyth has caused confusion. Old 23 became 24, and old 24 became 25. There are no incumbent pairings in that area.

4. debbie0040 says:

The House map is gerrymandering at its best. They went overboard trying to protect leadership and trying to protect recent party switchers. (loyalty to some longtime GOP representatives just flew out the window) It divided communities of interest.

Activists in South and North are unhappy about the map, including Gov. Deal’s home base of Hall.

We all hope Gov. Deal vetos the House map. If he doesn’t, then it is highly likely the courts will intervene..

• DoubleDawg3 says:

And you got your law degree from where….? There is nothing wrong with these maps, other than the fact that James Mills apparently doesn’t understand why he gets a little more work in learning a few new names because he ran against Larry O’Neal. Please – Anne Lewis isn’t going to let out a map from the redistricting office that she doesn’t think is constitutional – and yes, she went to law school!

5. grumpymoderate says:

Thanks for the suggestion! I read Mr. Wingfield’s column, and I’m very intrigued. I’m a transplant myself, but I’ve never understood the need to have 159 counties in 1 state, especially if a lot of them can’t even provide basic government functions.

• Calypso says:

grumpy,

“…I’ve never understood the need to have 159 counties…”

I maintain there is no ‘need’ other than to have the county serve as a major source of employment for some of the rural areas and to maintain a relatively autonomous political entity for the Boss Hogs of the state.

The duplication of effort, work, time, employees, etc., is staggering. Consolidate and combine forces. Save the taxpayers money and be more efficient in the process. Wait…what…oh yeah, it’s government…never mind.

• 22bons says:

Consolidation is a great idea. Our small counties are relics left over from the days of the county unit system and horse/buggy technology. But it will happen only when insolvency forces it to happen. Given the power of counties to raise property taxes I wouldn’t hold my breath.