Diamonds Are The DOT’s Best Friend

The DOT has let a few contracts – 18 to be exact – including a diverging diamond interchange at the 285 Ashford-Dunwoody interchange. DOT Chairman Vance Smith is excited.

“We think this is going to be something that, once motorists become accustomed to, they will really embrace,” Georgia DOT Commissioner Vance C. Smith, Jr., said. “We believe DDIs are going to enable us to make meaningful, relatively inexpensive, improvements at clogged interchanges without having to expend huge amounts of money and time rebuilding the entire structures. We can do DDIs faster and cheaper. And where they have been done, crashes have declined and traffic movement across interchange bridges has improved markedly.”

The Perimeter Community Improvement Districts (PCID) and DeKalb County provided funding for project design work. PCID President/CEO Yvonne Williams said the work is critical to the busy area’s economy. “And this economic health is important not only to our businesses, but also to local and state governments that depend on the tax revenues generated in the Perimeter area,” she noted.

The $4.6 million reconfiguration – to be done by E.R. Snell Contractor, Inc., of Snellville – was one of 18 projects awarded by the Department, totaling more than $34 million. Also awarded were:

A $4.7 million contract to resurface 11 miles of U.S. Highway 41 in Cobb County from Barrett Parkway to the Bartow County line; to C.W. Matthews Contracting Co., Inc., of Marietta;
A $3 million resurfacing of 18 miles of State Route 30 in Marion and Sumter counties; to Reeves Construction Company, of Macon; and,
$2.2 million for the construction of a new bridge on U.S. Highway 1/State Route 4 over Swift Creek in Toombs County.

Other posts about diverging diamond interchanges here and here.

Descriptions of all the projects can be found here.

1. GOPundit says:

Oh dear; I hope that Dunwoody drivers can handle this… they have a hard enough time with the intersection of Johnson’s Ferry and Ashford Dunwoody!

• elfiii says:

This morning on my usual commute to work down SextonWoods Dr to PIB there was a semi trying to back into the parking lot of Great Gatsby’s.

The middle school mom’s just couldn’t wait for the driver to back the rig into the parking lot and kept going around him to “get their place in line” at the stop light 50 yards ahead on PIB. It made no difference whatsoever in making their turn onto PIB. You see, the light was red so they could go nowhere.

When it was my turn, I waved the truck driver on and he backed the rig into the parking lot without incident. I transitioned the Sexton Woods/PIB intersection at the same time as those middle school moms. The light at last by magic turned green.

The only thing that could have made it worse and more ridiculous by degree is if I too had attempted to go around the semi. It would have created a Mexican Standoff for everyone.

I have serious doubts about these new fangled intersections. There will be too many middle school moms involved for them to work as they are intended. Somebody will be bound to pull out on the apron to pass everybody else and there you are.

Now that “skoos back in” I shall take the long way around via Donaldson to Harts Mill to Chamblee Dunwoody to PIB. I can’t wait to see what kind of encounters I shall experience at Chamblee HS. Those spiffy classroom trailers and the construction are certain to cock things up sidewise. High school moms area little better than middle school moms at driving, but not by much.

• GOPundit says:

I hope you can survive the high-schoolers with drivers licenses, I would call the drivers but heat seeking missiles seems more accurate.

2. Max Power says:

I cannot wait till the first time the traffic lights go out at a DD and all hell breaks loose.

3. Dave Bearse says:

An interesting thing about three DDIs, I-285/Ashford-Dunwoody, and the I-85/Jimmy Carter and Pleasant Hill, is that they’re being largely led by local agencies/government. The Perimeter CID at Ashford-Dunwoody, and Gwinnett Village on I-85.

4. Rambler1414 says:

Harry July 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm
    Each DDI retrofit would cost upwards of $50 million.

Oops.