Governor Tim Pawlenty in Buckhead

June 29, 2011 7:30 am

by Todd Rehm · 33 comments

Former two-term Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty visited the Cherokee Town Club in Buckhead last night in what is believed to be his first foray into Georgia in the 2012 Presidential election.

In contrast to the other Presidential events I’ve been to this cycle, this was not a media fest but a low-key event designed to optimize the time the candidate spent one-on-one with donors. Pawlenty acknowledged that some in the audience were “kicking the tires.”

It started out more closely resembling a fundraiser for a well-heeled local or state candidate than a made-for-media spectacle. No announcement was made of Pawlenty’s arrival and he quietly worked the room spending time with attendees and taking photos.

Nick Ayers made a personal introduction including his own reasons for supporting Pawlenty. I doubt that the Campaign Manager makes such a personal speech often, but in this group largely made up of friends and colleagues of Nick’s, it resonated. Ayers announced that the event raised $100k.

Pawlenty’s speech, though low-key, had one statewide elected official in the audience saying, “Amen” throughout. After speaking, Pawlenty spent some more time with guests before moving into the private dining room for dinner with the major donors.

The crowd of more than a hundred included traditional Buckhead business types, lobbyists and Capitol denizens, and elected officials with offices on all four floors of the Capitol.

“When Georgians get to know Governor Tim Pawlenty and his outstanding conservative record, I believe they will be incredibly impressed. Today’s visit is only the beginning,” said Tricia Pridemore, Pawlenty’s Georgia Finance Chairman

UPDATE: Lori Geary at WSB interviewed Pawlenty when he was in Atlanta yesterday.

Baker June 29, 2011 at 8:24 am

Has appeal to indies and the hardcore Tea Party folks…is he the only option?

Rick Day June 29, 2011 at 8:38 am

Based on the way this man holds his microphone, I predict he will soon be outed as a gay male.

Just sayin’…..

SOGTP June 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm

:-)

David Staples June 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm

He does look like he’s just about ready to break out into song and dance, doesn’t he?

ricstewart June 29, 2011 at 8:58 am

When I close my eyes and listen to Tim Pawlenty, all I hear is John Oxendine.

Three Jack June 29, 2011 at 9:43 am

Baker June 29, 2011 at 9:50 am

Huh?…Because of too many generalities? Or do you somehow think Pawlenty oozes smarm?

ricstewart June 29, 2011 at 10:07 am

Both of those. And he just makes me feel icky in general.

Baker June 29, 2011 at 10:21 am

I think that may be a bit arbitrary on your part. Are there any that you do like?

Or for that matter aren’t those characterisitics of all politicians?

ricstewart June 29, 2011 at 10:27 am

Of course it’s arbitrary. I was simply making a personal observation.
His Ox-ish delivery is not the reason I don’t intend to vote for him. I disagree with him on several major areas of policy.

grumpymoderate June 29, 2011 at 9:52 am

Ouch… Why’s that?

macho June 29, 2011 at 9:30 am

“I’d trust him with my wallet, I’d trust him with my wife.”

Which Presidential candidate wouldn’t you trust with your wife or with your wallet at the mall?

John Konop June 29, 2011 at 9:40 am

…..Governor Perdue followed Ayers, stating, “I’d trust him with my wallet, I’d trust him with my wife, and I’d trust him with my grandchildren.” and “Tim Pawlenty is no going to embarrass you.”….

With his pro policemen of the world foreign policy why would you trust him with your wallet?

…..Cost of US wars since 9/11? At least $3.7 trillion, study finds

224,000 people have died directly from warfare and 7.8 million people have been displaced……

Three Jack June 29, 2011 at 9:57 am

who really cares who perdueless trusts since he can’t be trusted?

i was on board with tpaw, but have now decided to look elsewhere based on the foll0wing:
– ayers, perdue, pridemore supporting him.
– he wussed out when given the opportunity to backup his ‘obamneycare’ assertion.
– he ignorantly spoke in favor of hb87 yesterday.

i bet he puts out a very disappointing campaign disclosure report shortly which will further diminish his already low standing in the lineup of gop candidates. he had to have iowa to be considered as a serious contender….he’s not even close according to the latest poll. i’m thinking maybe nick ayers ain’t quite as good as nick ayers thinks he is.

grumpymoderate June 29, 2011 at 10:10 am

Even Nick Ayers can’t help a weak candidate. You know you’re not a first-tier candidate when you give a foreign policy speech and not even FoxNews.com doesn’t have an article posted about it.

ricstewart June 29, 2011 at 10:28 am

Am I the only one who thought he should have called it “ORomneyCare” instead of “OBamneyCare”?
It just doesn’t roll off the tongue.

Ken in Eastman June 29, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Tim Pawlenty seems to be a more articulate, wrinkle-free version of John McCain – without the war record or foreign policy experience.

I may change my mind but as of now, I don’t see Pawlenty doing well. There’s no real fire; no passion and no philosophical attachment to conservatism. I am concerned that Pawlenty’s rationale for a smaller government is simply because we can’t afford a bigger government rather than the concept that a smaller, less-intrusive government is a far better choice in all economic situations.

SOGTP June 29, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Are we to believe that the federal government will shrink if Pawlenty is elected?

Are we to believe that our American empire wars will end if Pawlenty is elected?

Are we to believe that the American welfare state will end if Pawlenty is elected?

Just asking the questions.

Three Jack June 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Are we to believe that the federal government will shrink if {fill in any gop candidate name} is elected?

Are we to believe that our American empire wars will end if {fill in any gop candidate name} is elected?

Are we to believe that the American welfare state will end if {fill in any gop candidate name} is elected?

Calypso June 29, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Are we to believe that the federal government will shrink if {fill in any name} is elected?

Are we to believe that our American empire wars will end if {fill in any name} is elected?

Are we to believe that the American welfare state will end if {fill in any name} is elected?

Fixed that for ya…

Three Jack June 29, 2011 at 2:04 pm

thanks calypso, i think that about covers it.

SOGTP June 29, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Are we to believe that the federal government will shrink if Obama is elected?

Are we to believe that our American empire wars will end if Obama is elected?

Are we to believe that the American welfare state will end if Obama is elected?

:-) I think NOT!

Ken in Eastman June 29, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I think most people, if they are honest, expect continued government growth under President Obama if he is re-elected. Even a balanced budget amendment doesn’t prevent the growth of government spending or government regulation.

SOGTP June 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Welcome to Serfdom

Ken in Eastman June 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Nope. Serfs couldn’t incur debt. The American people aren’t that lucky.

SOGTP June 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Good point.

David Staples June 29, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I don’t think the President really has enough power to force anything government related to really shrink much if at all. It’s going to take Congress’ backing as well. But out of the GOP field, the one who would push for a smaller government the most I would think would be Gov. Gary Johnson.

SOGTP June 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Three Jack :-)

David Staples June 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

“It started out more closely resembling a fundraiser for a well-heeled local or state candidate than a made-for-media spectacle.”

I can’t see any event being a “made-for-media spectacle” at either the Town Club or the Country Club.

macho June 29, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Made-for-media is always at the Varsity.

Todd Rehm June 29, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I’ve seen Newt do a mad-for-media in an old run-down barbecue joint in Macon.

Ken in Eastman June 29, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Finchers, you say?

David Staples June 30, 2011 at 9:04 am

That, I can see. Pretty much anyone has access to a barbecue joint. Last I heard, Cherokee’s waiting list to join was rather long.

Comments on this entry are closed.