For Those Who “Did Not Win”:

May 14, 2011 20:22 pm

by Charlie · 91 comments

I write this post from the home of Justin Tomczak, a good friend of mine who earlier today came up a bit short to Bert Guy in his race for First Vice-Chairman of the Georgia Republican Party. The hardest part about remaining neutral in GOP races this season was an inability to advocate for a good friend. Bert is a good man, and will serve the GOP well. Justin will continue to support good candidates and causes. Life is good.

The Chairman’s race is a bit more complicated and has stronger immediate implications on the future of Georgia Republican Party and Georgia politics in general. I’ll have most of my thoughts on that in my Monday column. Tonight, I’d just like to say a word about Tricia Pridemore.

It was very hard for many to separate Tricia’s campaign from that of Governor Deal. In some senses, that’s fair. In others, Tricia is her own person, and has a good future in the Georgia GOP. Tricia is a relative newcomer to many of the circles within the power centers of GOP convention delegates. Being somewhat unknown is a hard postion to be in within a party which rewards seniority, dues paid, and an unwritten pecking order.

My personal experiences with Tricia have always been positive. Despite her position and advocacy during the Governor’s primary, she was the single Deal person who took the initiative to make positive outreaches to me during both the runoff and general election. Knowing and understanding our differences, she still always saw the bigger goal.

I am in no way disappointed that Sue Everhart was re-elected, and I congratulate her on her victory. But most analysis on “what’s next” will focus on division, unity, and the ability of a party to stand together during the next elections. I expect that Sue will remain the gracious person who I know she is, and would hope that she can find a meaningful place for Tricia in the Georgia GOP.

I wrote this piece on the general primary night last July. I’ll repost it here. For those who ran, thank you. There remains a lot of work to be done. Get a good night’s sleep, and then get on it.

10 years and 2 nights ago, I had to stand up in front of my friends and family and tell them that our campaign efforts fell short, and worse, I needed them to support someone who had been our opponent just hours ago. It wasn’t easy, but we started with a goal, and he was the guy they needed to support was the only one remaining who could achieve what we wanted.

Frankly, standing there and saying that sucked.

I knew when I decided to run in a race that attracted three experienced politicians that the odds were long. When others get on board and believe in you, it’s not easy to tell them that you let them down, that the road has ended, that the campaign has no tomorrow. But if your overall goal was truly bigger than yourself, it has to be done. Leaders get the job done, no matter who takes the credit.

There is no way a candidate who has lost will take consolation calls in an upbeat manner. I had many people talk to me like I had died. Or even worse, was going to kill myself. As hard as we worked for a few months, my life wasn’t over. I tried. It didn’t work. It was time to move one. The calls were well intentioned, but reeked of pity that I wasn’t prepared or willing to receive. Enduring those for days, then weeks, was about as bad as the original concession speech to supporters.

I say that to say this: I congratulate those who tried. Few will ever understand where it is you stand tonight. Do not hold your head low for trying, for most will forever just sit on the sidelines and complain. Hopefully your efforts pulled you and others into a process that too many ignore these days. Perhaps you influenced your opponent in such a way that they will govern better. Perhaps, should you try again, you learned what will make you a better candidate next time.
And hopefully, as I did, you’ll meet new people and have a new appreciation for those who wish you well.

Tomorrow is another day, and there is a new challenge for you somewhere. Because this was not your time does not mean you cannot make your place for change either in this political system or in some other meaningful way.

Regardless, get some sleep. You’ve earned it. Then look forward and not back. Count your blessings and not your shortcomings, lest you be bitter.

Each of you, even those who have been on the receiving end of some prime Peach Pundit snark, have my sincere thanks for trying.

Stacy Jones May 14, 2011 at 11:23 pm

The biggest loser at the convention today was Cecil Staton. The man has no shame, having posed at Beth Merkleson.

He should resign his seat immediately.

Read about Cecil’s antics at http://www.grassrootsfrenzy.com

Listen to Cecil’s song at http://www.grassrootsfrenzy.com/song.php

Charlie May 14, 2011 at 11:50 pm

You are now in spammer status with these links. Your next post of them will be your last.

macho May 15, 2011 at 8:01 am

I’m just trying to figure out which member of the caucus you are.

Ken in Eastman May 14, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Sue Everhart’s biggest inadvertent supporter was Governor Deal and I am still not certain he understands that. He WAS the deciding issue for many people and it cost Tricia Pridemore greatly.

I’m sure Sue will continue to do a great job and I sincerely hope Tricia Pridemore and Shawn Hanley stay involved with the party in a significant way. They have a lot to offer.

I’d also like to congratulate Mr. Hanley and Doug Grammar for making tough decisions to step aside for the good of the party – Mr. Hanlet after one ballot and Mr. Grammer for doing so before the voting began. It must be difficult to work as hard as these two gentlemen for months and then voluntarily end their campaigns without seeing the final results.

Thanks to everyone who ran or who worked for candidates; after all It’s better to have run and lost than to have never run at all – or something like that.

SOGTP May 15, 2011 at 6:11 am

@Ken. I agree with you 100%. I’ve even pondered whether Nathan was purposefully squandering Ms. Pridemore’s campaign. I still think Deal was the heaviest anchor chain around Pridemore’s neck.

I will go so far to say that Pridemore would have won this race, if she had not aligned herself with Deal. Deal did her in.

lukethedrifter May 15, 2011 at 10:34 am

That makes no sense. Incumbents, whether for public office or party positions, rarely lose when they decide to seek re-election. In our local party, the “old guard” did all they could to keep Sue’s opponents from becoming state delegates. That is their prerogative though and they did a good job. The only reason Tricia got this close is because of Nathan’s support and her hard work. Nearly half of the party thought it was time for us to become a little more sophisticated as a major state Republican Party. The Georgia GOP wasn’t broken, but we definitely can be better organized and raise more money to help our candidates.

Sue is a great person, but she was not the reason for a 2010 Republican wave. In fact, Republicans won with the efforts of an outside force, the Tea Party movement. The talk of Deal’s influence was just talking points and campaign strategy for Tricia’s opponents. It was a good strategy. As all saw yesterday, Nathan Deal is the Governor, but he was also a long time member and delegate of the Hall County GOP. I have never seen a sitting Governor sit patiently all day with his local party and truly be a part of the grassroots. I respected him immensely before this and will respect him even more now.

Was there room for improvement in the Georgia GOP? Absolutely. However, Sue and her staff will continue to do a great job over the next two years. Shawn Hanley loves this country and will work hard to make it better. Tricia Pridemore gained many new friends and made a great impression on people all over this state. She will be a valuable member of our Party for years to come.

I’m proud to be a Georgia Republican today.

AthensRepublican May 15, 2011 at 1:17 am

I agree. I was very impressed with many of the candidates that offered themselves-particularly for 1st vice-chairman- all three were highly qualified and I don’t think the convention could have gone wrong no matter who won that race.

As for the race for Chairman, this was clearly a race between Governor Nathan Deal and Chair Sue Everhart rather than Ms. Pridemore. I feel the bottom line was that the majority did not want to surrender the autonomy of the state Republican organization to become what many felt would be an arm of the Governor. Ms. Everhart had years of experience and contacts within the organization and Ms. Pridemore was only introduced to the organization as the candidate of Governor Deal with no familiarity otherwise. The Governor played his hand and suffered and embarrasing loss. The convention delegates made a wise and understandable selection in Ms. Everhart’s re-election.

Doug Deal May 15, 2011 at 1:48 am

The Guy/Tomczak is the type of election I would like to see more of, where the choices are tough not because you are picking the lesser of two evils, but agonizing over which you think would be better.

Everyone I knew had great things to say about both men, and I had spoken to both on the phone personally and was impressed with each. Too bad that one had to be a loser. (Not to take anything away from Doug Grammar who dropped out before the vote).

Doug Deal May 15, 2011 at 1:50 am

As for Tricia, there might be a lesson here.

I could have been one of her core supporters, as I am someone who generally favors knocking incumbents out because I think moderate turnover is very important to the health of an organization and 2 terms was probably enough.

The problem was that Tricia had a history going back to the primary pushing a win at all cost mentality that is too prevalent in politics. She crossed a line with me, as well as a number of others, that went beyond political and went straight to personal. An associate of Tricia even threatening me in an early morning phone call.

I am not one to hold a grudge and invariably make friends with anyone I butt heads with, but Tricia made that pretty much impossible by going so far over the top in pursuit of personal glory in the primary and this election for chairman.

After her concession speech, I have moved on. I hope a number of others have too. Does her future involvement in Republican primaries involve the same tactics as last time, playing the part of partisan hatchet-man, or does it show a more refined, mature level of involvement that leaves the scorched earth tools in the closet? The only test is time.

chefdavid May 15, 2011 at 8:47 am

If I was Sue I would take the outcome as a time to look at how do I reach out to those who didn’t vote for me. That was a large number. Some of us were a little miffed when she brought out her court to speak. We were wondering if she going to speak. If Trisha would have just said in her speech. ” If I was chairman there would be food at the state convention” She would have one. Over all I had a great time. Was it just me or did it seem like no-one was paying attention when Cagle was speaking? Knowing Justin and Doug they will brush the dirt off their jackets and get back in it to help the party.

SFCWallace May 15, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Dude, were you one of the whinners that was crying about being hungry but too lazy to walk to the hotel lobby to get something to eat? This was my 3rd convention and all 3 had 3 things in common: a dinner Friday you have to pay for, a breakfast Saturday you have to pay for, and a bunch of people looking for free stuff (including lunch) on Saturday afternoon. If you have a condition that requires you to eat every few hours, pack a freaking sandwich and quit whinning.

Doug Deal May 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Also, the convention food service was in the hands of the owners/operators of the coliseum, that’s the city of Macon. If you expect good service for a Republican Convention from an entity controlled by 13 Democrats and 2 Republicans, good luck. We should be grateful we had electricity and running water.

debbie0040 May 15, 2011 at 9:04 am

Charlie, you may have had good experiences with Mrs. Pridemore, but there are many, many others that have had quite different experiences with her going back a few years.
On stage Tricia gave a great unity concession speech, but backstage when Sue walked over to Tricia and attempted to shake her hand , Tricia refused to shake her hand and stated “I already congratulated you”.

Doug’s assessment about Pricemore’s future is right on target.

We all need to look toward 2012 now and prepare to fight a momental battle.

debbie0040 May 15, 2011 at 9:10 am

Chefdavid, I thought Sue bringing supporters on stage was a very good idea… I think many more were miffed when Gov. Deal did not wait until the nomination speeches to advocate Pridemore’s election…

The grassroots have spoken. It is time to move on…

Mike May 15, 2011 at 10:01 am

Debbie you are a liar to the end.

I was with Tricia backstage (I’m her husband) and you were not there. When Tricia came off the stage sue extended her hand and said “I hope you will stay involved with the party”. Tricia shook Sue’s hand and said “congratulations Sue.”

Again, you weren’t there. So I can only assume you decided to make this up to personally harm Tricia’s character or you are simply doing the bidding of others as you have so many times before.

you May 15, 2011 at 10:44 am

Mike – Please let Tricia know that she can’t ignore people just because they do not support her. She would not speak to me after I told her I would be voting for Sue and I noticed she would only talk to people with her sticker on. I am sure you will argue this point but it is what I observed.
She has to learn how to unite the party before she will ever win. I realize this was her first campaign and I hold no ill feelings towards her. She has passion and energy she just needs some humility. She is new to the party and their are many who have been going to the convention and working for the party for years yet she felt she should be in charge.
Governor Deal narrowly won the primary. He should have used this convention to bring the party together but instead he used it to try to show he was the boss so the party had to remind him that we are.
I wish the best for you and your wife. I hope Tricia gets involved and proves herself. Maybe in 2 years she will run again without all the politicians but with the backing of the real grassroots; the volunteers.
take care

lukethedrifter May 15, 2011 at 11:22 am

I’ve known Sue for 17 years and her eyes looked through me yesterday. But why should she bother with me? She knew I was with Tricia and I had a Tricia sticker and hat on. Lobby those votes that are neutral and keep your people enthused. You are “preaching” to Mike here and not being conciliatory.

Sue had the deck stacked in her favor, which I say above is her prerogative as an incumbent. However, she lost nearly half of the Party. I would say that SHE has the responsibility of uniting the Party.

lukethedrifter May 15, 2011 at 10:54 am

Mike,

Tricia did a great job and made many friends yesterday. Knowing her, she will move on and make the Georgia GOP and any candidate she supports stronger. I hope that she decides to run for a party position or public office again soon. She will have an army of loyal followers on her side.

As for Debbie, don’t bother. She is a sad, negative person. After her actions on the floor of the convention yesterday, many of us walked away questioning her sanity. She lives to tear others down and doesn’t lift anyone up with her antics. The GOP would do well if she would fade away.

But…(sigh)…she probably won’t.

debbie0040 May 15, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Luke, you are a very bitter man that is a poor loser. No, I am not going to fade away and if I did, there would be at least 50 people that would step up and fill the void..

there was an attempt to have a standing vote instead of a secret ballot the 2nd round of voting for the Chair’s race and if I and others had not objected loudly, it would not have been changed and clarified and would have passed.

Ambernappe May 15, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Be very careful when accusing others of “simply doing the bidding of others”.

debbie0040 May 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Mike, I was told that Sue approached your wife a second time and extended her hand and Tricia told her that she had already congratulated her.
When Tricia gave her concession speech, I stood and applauded her very loudly.

Speaking of lying, numerous people have had personal experiences with your wife outright lying. I am not the only one.

Mike May 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Debbie. I don’t know who told you that. The people present were Tricia, me, Sue, Mieca and Anna. BJ was there as well but I don’t think he was close enough to have heard the short conversation. The event in question was the only one that happened. Sue never approached Tricia a second time. No slight was made. I guess my caution to you would be to be leery of any future statements from the person that told you that as they clearly have an agenda.

As to your point that Tricia has lied to you in the past — if you’d care to share the details I’d be happy to weigh in. Obviously you have no obligation to believe anything I say as I am not an unbiased actor here. But the number of lies told and/or repeated about Tricia have been numerous. I’ve traveled with her throughout her campaign. And I’ve seen time and time again online reports of something she did or said at an event that were outright lies. Many times the person doing the reporting wasn’t there. Only repeating the story as it was told to them. And so it goes.

Ambernappe May 16, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Mike,
If I may offer a suggestion regarding the appropriate position of the spouse of a candidate for any elected office: you should remain in the background so as to maintain the spirits of the candidate through the ups and downs which are likely to occur with campaigning. The candidate should be able to handle those actions which require public acknowledgement. As you process the events of the past few months, you will recognize that such acknowledgement is rarely necessary unless the candidate is responding to specific questions. This does not preclude your being a trusted advisor and confidante.

22bons May 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Debbie — If you cared about your reputation you would quickly apologize and unravel the lie you were told to the source. Perhaps your source was lied to as well. Or perhaps they consider you their “useful idiot” for spreading this kind of noxious rumor. Character assassination of this sort is why good people have little to gain from engaging in the political process. In the absence of an apology I’ll consider you part of the dark side from this point forward.

John Konop May 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Mike,

I like Sue and thinks she has a very top notch organization. The results speak for themselves over last few election cycles. It is rather remarkable how much the IT has improved lead by Patrick Mayer under Sue. With that said I do think Debbie was out of line taking a personal shot at your wife. I do think Debbie means well but sometimes she puts her foot in her mouth. You are in the RIGHT defending your wife.!

SOGTP May 15, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Mike … I met your wife at the 9th District Convention. She is a charming woman and I thank her for her efforts.

She would be Chairman right at this moment with articles titled “Hello Madam Pridemore Chair” had she not aligned herself with Nathan.

Nathan has way too much baggage. Tricia should have done it on her own and she would have won, because as Doug stated above we like booting incumbents. Tricia was more of an incumbent than Sue with the anchor of Nathan Deal hanging around her neck.

Nathan could not have been more effective at sabotaging her campaign, if had specifically planned it.

sj1986 May 16, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I supported Shawn Hanley even though I knew he likely would not win. The second go around I voted for Sue as I the Pridemore people scared me. They were way too aggressive.

Doug Grammer May 15, 2011 at 10:39 am

I enjoy campaigning so it was a positive experience for me. I liked talking to old friends and making new ones. My race, from my perspective, was never about me. It was about the GOP. Justin is a hard worker and I have no doubt he will be doing something soon. I confidant I had enough votes to force a run off, but I was not 100% certain I would be in it. I thought it was important that we elected someone who had worked their way up through the ranks. If I were not sure it was going to be me, I wanted to do my best to push it over the top for Bert. I don’t plan to rehash this too much and I am ready to start talking about tomorrow instead of yesterday.

The process didn’t allow for me to speak if I had been knocked out after the first round, so I used the opportunity to say a few things that were on my mind. The GA GOP needs to focus on the counties. If we control the courthouses, the legislative races, the statewide races, and the congressional races will all take care of themselves. Everyone in that room came together to support someone for GA GOP Chairman. That means we are on the same team. The race is over and it’s time to work with Sue. She didn’t win on the first ballot, so I’m thinking she might be a little more open to other people’s thoughts and ideas.

Now that I’m not running for GOP office, you might see me post on here a bit more. You’ve been warned. (lol)

And here, from PP, I’d like to thank everyone who ran, everyone who had supported me, and everyone that attended the convention. The Georgia GOP would not be where it is today without them.

lori_w May 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm

What I would have liked to see is what happened at our Fulton GOP convention-the new chair, recognizing the competencies of his opponents and the passions of their supporters, having the foresight and character to appoint each opponent to a position to promote this idea of unity. There is no doubt in my mind that whether or not Sue decides to do something similar, Tricia and her supporters will continue to single-mindedly do whatever is necessary to defeat marxism and creeping socialism. After learning of the dog-and-pony show of campaigning for Sue represented as “convention delegate training” at state GOP offices, as well as personally observing smug gestures of Debbie Dooley on the convention floor upon announcement of the winner, I am more convinced than ever that Sue needs and deserves the help of the principled and informed conservatives to take the lead and win GA in 2012 and beyond.

you May 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm

WOW. You were obviously wearing a Tricia sticker.
I went to many debates and Tricia would roll in with her crowd; they would stick together like a high school clique and leave as soon as it was over. Then the next day an email or facebook post would go out saying everyone was “negative”, “booing” or “mean”. Those were lies. She acted the same way at the convention., even booing at Sue when she was introduced Friday night.
Tricia holds a grudge and likes to pretend she is a victim. She would not have worked with anyone who worked against her which is why many said they would support her; they knew Sue would forgive and forget once she won.

Mama_grizzly May 15, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Principled and informed conservatives? Surely you can’t mean Tricia who is very closely aligned with Gov. Deal? Ms. Wexler, it is rather funny to see a Pridemore supporter talking about dog and pony shows. Tricia’s speech at the convention was so phony and she even had smile that appeared forced. She clearly rehearsed her speech many hours… Then there are the pizza parties she held all over the state, flying around in a helicoptor with the the Governor ,etc. Tricia found out the hard way that spending obscene amounts of money will not buy you the chairman’s race.

I attended the convention delegate at the GOP HQ’s put on by Ms. Dooley and Mrs. Thompson and no campaigning was done on behalf of any candidate. Not sure what you are referring to, but you Tricia supporters live in a little world of your own…

As for the gestures of Ms. Dooley when the winner was announced, I saw her give a high five to someone and saw no problem. Are supporters not allowed to celebrate when their candidate wins decisively?

ted in bed May 16, 2011 at 2:54 am

Are supporters not allowed to celebrate when their candidate wins decisively?

Not when you might want/need your opponent’s help in the future . The last memory I have of the convention, as a Tricia supporter, is of Sue’s core contingent chanting “The Party Belongs To Us”.

Before that, it was Tea Party people booing the Governor when he mentioned Trisha. Did Tricia’s people boo the other speakers when they spoke highly of Sue? No, we did not.

The GAGOP blew it badly. It had a chance to have a dynamic, energetic, talented LEADER who had support at the highest levels to be successful. Contrary to the vicious lies spread, Tricia earned that support through hard work during this last election cycle and before. Does any sane person believe that Sue can raise as much money as Gov. Deal? Heck, I’ll bet that Tricia brought in much more money to the various campaigns she helped than Sue brought into the GAGOP. Along with casting aside the Governor’s choice, the GAGOP booed and insulted him. Nice going gals.

The Tea Party also blew it. They have exposed themselves for what they are: shills for the Republican insiders. Conservative candidates and office holders should be very wary of dealing with the GAGOP and their bitches in the Tea Party.

The winner in all this is Tricia. She’s too good for the GAGOP. Her energy and talents would have been wasted on the inhabitants of the GAGOP. I’m confident that in 5 years, we will read about Tricia in a magazine where she lead another organization to significant success

AthensRepublican May 16, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Perhaps, the attitude expressed in this message explains why Tricia did not win on Saturday.

Doug Deal May 16, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Do you prefer your kool-aid to be grape or cherry?

ted in bed May 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Cherry. Its makes my femine figure slender.

John Konop May 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Lori,

….. to defeat marxism and creeping socialism….

Does the mean you guys are against Social Security, VA, Medicare, clean water, safe food…..?

…..principled and informed conservatives….

Are ‘principled and informed conservatives’ going after banning divorce over gay marriage?

Doug Deal May 15, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Projecting? Smug gestures? Is that what you are really reduced to, Debbie Dooley looked too smug?

Wow, grow up a little.

Ambernappe May 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I will say only that creating new “executive committee” positions for defeated opponents is out of order according to universally (except, perhaps, the “Third World”) accepted parliamentary procedures.

John Konop May 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I know very little about Bert so please do not take this as a comment directed at him. With that said I think the GOP made a major mistake by not electing Justin Tomczak. The key for the GOP is adopting a youthful view of the world as the party ages in Georgia. Justin was an excellent bridge for the future of the party.

I am not saying anything negative about Bert but from what I know he is my age or older. And in the new age of E-media all companies are told to have at least one person under 30 in a key position. Justin is a rare find in that he understands the issues, politics and E-media.

The Deal administration or party should reach out to Justin to make sure he does not end up in the private sector. It would be a major loss to the party.

Ken in Eastman May 15, 2011 at 2:42 pm

John,

How old are you? I thought you and I were probably within a decade of each other; I’m 54.

Bert is at least 20 years younger than I am; he’s just been at it for a long time.

John Konop May 15, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I am 49 and if he is that young , that is my bad.

you May 15, 2011 at 2:44 pm

He is in the private sector (kind of. lol) he works for State Farm. I do agree with you though. Justin did a tremendous job running for this seat and it seemed to me that Burt Guy came out of nowhere.
Justin will continue to do great things and I know there is something better in his future.
Justin Tomzack for Chairman :)

John Konop May 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I know he works for SF but the party or Deal administration would be smart to offer him a full-time job. I have no idea if he would even consider the job. I just have been very impressed by him and can see how he would be a major asset.

I told him if he had a business idea that I like I would look into investing in it and or help him raise money. Justin is very smart guy, works hard and has a real level head.

Three Jack May 15, 2011 at 3:01 pm

serious bromance talk there john. but i agree with your initial point that the gop would have benefited greatly with justin as 1st vc…in fact, i wish he would have run for chair.

instead of the governor, it would be smart for one of the gop presidential candidates to contact justin. they all could use the help.

Doug Deal May 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm

John, he just had a child 2 day before my daughter was born and has another 3 or 4 year old child. He spoke about being the youngest elected member to the State Board and according to his voting record, he looks to be 35.

Justin is 33.

No one who selected either candidate as their choice made a mistake.

John Konop May 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I stand corrected and I am sorry I called Bert and old-timer like me. :)

Doug Deal May 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm

It’s okay, John, we know how the memory starts to fail as we get up in years :-)

Ken in Eastman May 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Doug, I’m older than John so . . . OUCH! :-)

Doug Deal May 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Ken, to make yourself feel better, just start thinking about how much money you save with your AARP discounts. :-)

Ken in Eastman May 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Doug, now you know me well enough to know I won’t give those gray-headed socialists a penny. Of course there are other “senior” organizations . . . Hmmmm.

Doug Deal May 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I thought about that when I posted it, but I was afraid no one would recognize the name.

Ken in Eastman May 15, 2011 at 3:33 pm

:-)

Ken in Eastman May 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I agree that both were excellent options. For me, it came down to having someone from the southern half of the state on the state executive committee. Some things don’t necessarily translate well from Hall or Cobb county to Dodge or Worth county and we need a voice that can speak to that point from experience. Bert can do that and do it well.

I approached Justin after the election and congratulated him on a well-run race and asked him to not go away. I told him – and I believe it – that he has great things coming.

macho May 15, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I voted for Justin, but there was no mistake in voting for Bert. He’s a great guy and we probably need someone from that part of the state.

Big Mack May 16, 2011 at 10:23 am

Some of you may remember that Bert was the Assistant Secretary and rode into the Secretary’s office on Ralph Reeds coat tails when Ralph purged all the existing officers that he could. I think that he really believes all of that stuff that Reed espouses. I voted for Justin because he has a much larger brain than does Bert.

oompaloompa May 15, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I think you are right that Gov. Deal did more harm than good for Tricia. I thought the 1st Vice Chair race was the most enthralling of all. And Doug hit the nail on the head when he said it was not about getting rid of a negative, it was struggling to pick which one was the best of the best. Congrats to ALL the campaigns and the hard work you’ve done on the campaign trail. I do hope Sue reads Peach Pundit. And I do hope she realizes how the county party chairs are pretty fed up with some of her policies and hard-headed stance on issues we face when trying to recruit new members. I hope she will take a long hard look at how many candidates were willing to challenge her. I hope she will see that when you look at the big picture and weigh the factors of how long she has been chairman and how well known she is – that the vote was actually much closer than it should have been with her being the incumbent. In my opinion, the old guard that voted Sue back in are members of the party that do not do day-in-day-out business with the state party. I can tell you first hand that having to deal with the GAGOP’s current leadership, it is one big headache over and over and over. I like Sue. And I’d like this last term to be a substantial one for her in terms of GOP gains. But she has some fences to mend and she needs to soften her approach when dealing with the under 80,000 counties. I think she would be wise to look at the platforms of the other candidates. Figure out what was different in their platforms that she doesn’t currently do and incorporate that into her own leadership style so that we can all feel comfortable. Otherwise, I see 2 more frustrating years ahead for many of us who felt we just could not support her this time around. I hope she will actually LISTEN to the county chairs, rather than her political consultants.

Everyone who put their name on the ballot – as well as their campaign staffers – deserve a big high five and a pat on the back.

Mama_grizzly May 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm

oompaloompa, The old guard did not put Sue back in. A very successful coalition was formed with long time activists and 9-12/tea party groups and they put her in.
Nice attempt at spin, but the vote was not close. Gov. Deal very heavily campaigned for Tricia and Eric Johnson campaigned for her and even nominated Tricia. Eric is old guard , Pointevant is old guard, the list goes on and on. There were three highlights of the convewntion for me. 1. Herman Cain’s speech 2. Watching Gov. Deal booed off stage 3. Eric Johnson on the losing end of the Chair race. When will Johnson learn that he needs to just stay away from politics?

fishtail May 15, 2011 at 7:29 pm

oomapalookaa is a lobbyist’s avatar in Savannah…so don’t waste too much time worrying about someone’s opinion that is bought and paid for.

Ken in Eastman May 15, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I supported Sue, but I also supported Eric in the governor’s race and Gerry Purcell in the insurance commissioners race. I’m impressed with both men, but like most folks, I choose my own path.

Endorsements don’t mean nearly as much in races within a small (1,820) electorate.

Doug Deal May 15, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I think the smart politician stays out of the endorsement game. You really only stand to lose in the long run, unless the race is a sure thing. If your guy wins, everyone of the losing side will blame you for the loss, diminishing uour support, and if your guy loses, everyone will think you have no support.

What’s the upside?

lori_w May 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Pretty sad that I offered an idea of how we can and will work together and the response is counter-attack. This from some of you who won’t even put your name to your posts-thanks Doug for not being one of those. As far as growing up and living in one’s own world, that is medicine some here should take. As much as I enjoy reading PP and have for years, it appears that a few of the frequent commenters here are closed minded to infrequent posters at best, self-anointed sole authorities at worst. Thanks for all the informative reading in most other cases. And by the way, the race is over and I can’t figure out what more some of you want than conciliatory remarks lending genuine support to Sue in word and action, particularly if suggestions like those of oompa’s are adopted.

Doug Deal May 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I would hope that there is inclusion of supporters for the other candidates in every way possible. In fact, I wish on all levels that the party would spread the wealth of power and influence to as many people as possible.

I know of several cases where someone is an officer in some local party, an officer at the district level, an officer in an affiliated organization and then a member of the state committee and then also on several committees throughout each of those organizations and during the conventions. If there was less of this position hoarding thing going on, perhaps there would be more room to include those of the opposing camps and perhaps there would be more unity in the party.

The irony is that diversity really is a sign of a healthy organization, but not the way Democrats see it (a bunch of people who look differently that think the exact same way), but diversity of opinion and viewpoint. When everyone sees eye-to-eye on everything, we have ceased having independent thought.

Ambernappe May 16, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I mentioned this concept at the 6th District Convention when several candidates were nominated for multiple State offices. Hopefully, others will take notice and the nominating committees will “break the paradigm”, and “voting the slate” in the interest of expediency will lose favor among “grassroots” Republicans.

chefdavid May 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm

OK time to move on. I would like to run for the Chairman of the food committee for the next convention. I will assure you that if elected you will be fed more than a stuffed aflac duck, a peach, and a bottle of Shafer water (which I did appreciate). More than cheese danishes will be available for purchase. I am talking real food. To start off with; bacon and eggs, biscuits and gravy. We will have some seafood and meat for lunch. Columbus is home to some of the best chefs around. The Army. We might even be able to make it a fundraiser for the family support group at Ft. Benning We will get you fed. My motto will be “Eat here, Eat now”. Of course that is just for my first course.

lori_w May 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I nominate you for that position.

Ken in Eastman May 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I enthusiastically second that nomination.

John Konop May 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm

chefdavid

Call me a fiscal conservative but who is paying for the food? :)

chefdavid May 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Well we can’t ask the delegates because they already pay about twice as much as the guest. Why is that I wonder? A bag full of campaign lit that campaigns probably have to pay to be put in the goody bag. So the only option I see is either make the guest pay an equal amount and thus subsidize our meals. (That doesn’t sound to republican to me), or raise my delegate ticket price. I mean after all wouldn’t make since for those of us who can pay more to reach in our wallets even deeper. If I have to spend more for a ticket I might not be able to spend a lot in the town. Wouldn’t be able to go to the road show. I might even have to camp out. That would be counter economic impact. Or lets just pay on what we eat. That would be my preference.

Doug Grammer May 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Candidates didn’t have to pay to have their lit put in the bags. The state party did that as a courtesy to all candidates who sent their lit in beforehand.

SFCWallace May 15, 2011 at 5:42 pm

” The state party did that as a courtesy to all candidates…” Volunteers from Bibb, Houston, and a couple of other counties stuffed 2500 bags, I know because I carried them from the stuffing area too the storage room.

Doug Grammer May 15, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Let me rephrase; the state party did not charge us. I thanked the volunteers of Bibb County on their FB page. I appreciate the volunteers.

chefdavid May 15, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Thanks for the correction

macho May 15, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Sounds good to me.

SFCWallace May 15, 2011 at 5:38 pm

“To start off with; bacon and eggs, biscuits and gravy…” That was all on the menu if you weren’t too cheap to buy a breakfast ticket…

chefdavid May 15, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Just like if I went back stage and grabbed some lunch during the convention.

Doug Deal May 15, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Instead of an expensive breakfast for VIP’s and big whigs and nothing else. How about a more middle class approach of a just picnic tables in a common area where people can sit side by side and talk about the coming business of the convention for breakfast. It doesn’t have to replace it, but it would be a nice option.

SFCWallace May 16, 2011 at 10:32 pm

VIP’s and big whigs…? WTF Doug? You preparing to lead the Bolshevik Revolution of 2012 now? There were continental breakfast items available for sale in the vendors area both mornings…which you would’ve know if you hadn’t hit the snooze button 7 times Saturday morning.

Doug Deal May 16, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I find elitism from the Right just as distasteful as from the Left.

Plus, I needed a cover story for my habitual snooze alarm tapping.

SOGTP May 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I am still amazed at how many of the candidates turned out to be “grassroots”.

Nathan Deal has me believing that he is a member of the Tea Party. :-)

Now to be different you can’t be “grassroots”.

Ambernappe May 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm

When describing “grassroots”, there has been a difference between the theory and the practice. The theory is government from the people “up”, but the campaign and practice of the Governor and at least one candidate was definitely “from the top down”. We can only hope that the difference has been recognized.

The Thursday afternoon meeting of delegates and several Republican Senators, including “Chip” Rogers and John Albers, was a positive opportunity to share some pressing issues in Georgia. They have promised more such meetings all over the state.

SFCWallace May 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Everyone who’s complaining about how the convention was run has an open invitation to be a volunteer at the next one. You may gain a new appreciation for what it takes to run one.

debbie0040 May 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm

LW, Tricia will rebound just fine. She is a trusted advisor of Gov. Deal’s and I am quite certain Gov. Deal will do what he should have done to start with – appoint her to a high profile Board or give her a job on his staff.

After the convention, those of us that stayed over another night all congregated in the hotel bar and had a good time. There were Tricia supporters, Hanley supporters and Sue supporters but none of that mattered, because the vote had been taken, the grassroots spoke loudly and it was time to put all that behind us .

Convention Centers have restrictions on who the caterers are. They hold you hostage at that point. We could come back to Gwinnett Arena next time and even have beer/wine available after 12:00pm :)

chefdavid May 15, 2011 at 7:36 pm

And that is why accg has all kinds of caterers at their annual convention in Savannah. It’s all about the contract. I am sure they would rather rent the center than let is stay vacant. Just look at their event schedule.

jstjoan May 16, 2011 at 7:40 am

This photo (http://www.macon.com/2011/05/14/1560645_a1560602/day-two-of-the-georgia-republican.html) from the GAGOP convention was published in the Macon Telegraph. It is the Henry County delegates caucusing and voting on a plan to move alternates up. Notice Sahar Hekamati standing in the middle of the deliberations in the back between the two men wearing white shirts.

She was not a delegate or an alternate for that matter. She had guest status only and had already been asked to leave the floor once before by a Sgt@Arms. But because Sue Everhart gave her a VIP pass, which did give her access to the floor, she completely abused that privilege to try and influence the Henry County proceedings on numerous occasions.

GAGOP Convention Call Rules, Section F, paragraph 5 states: “Only Delegates and Alternates elected by the various County Conventions to the State Convention as set forth in Section D and who have met the requirements of paragraph 3 of this Section F may sit, act and participate in the State Convention, and only Delegates and seated Alternates shall be eligible to vote in the State Convention.” http://www.gagop.org/documents/2011_Convention_Call.pdf

I find it unconscionable that the DISTRICT 13 CHAIRPERSON would so blatantly ignore the rules in an attempt to inject herself into the proceedings in which she KNEW she was not allowed to participate. After this photo was taken, she had the nerve to pull our county Chair aside and complain to him (with Debbie Dooley right by her side) about how our alternates were called up. THEN, once again, she disregarded the rules and came on to the convention floor DURING the 1st Vice Chair vote, of which I have video. Unfortunately, no one seems to care and no one seems to think that reporting the SITTING CHAIRPERSON will result in any action being taken to discipline her for her interference because she’s in the tank for Sue.

debbie0040 May 16, 2011 at 8:22 am

Joan, Sahar told me that Billy Kirkland did not follow what the caucus voted on, so I asked him. Billy is a good friend of mine so when he told me he did, I told Sahar he had the right to do what he did.
Some in Henry County have drawn the line in the sand and have made it clear that if anyone chooses to work with Sahar, then they are your enemy and that is ridiculous.

On another note:

Gov. Nathan Deal might take a few minutes during his taxpayer-funded trip to England, Germany and Austria – domains of present and past monarchies – to contemplate the fact that he was inaugurated governor last January, not anointed king.

His fellow Republicans delivered that message in no uncertain terms Saturday at their state convention in Macon shortly before Deal’s scheduled takeoff for Europe to “seek opportunities for job expansion and investment.”

jstjoan May 16, 2011 at 9:27 am

Thank you, Debbie, for confirming that District 13 Chair Sahar Hekmati violated the convention rules and interfered with the convention.

jstjoan May 16, 2011 at 9:29 am

And, btw, no, you did not ask Billy about it. Sahar argued with him while you stood there and watched me shoot the video of it.

Ambernappe May 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm

jstjoan-
I hope that you have read my earlier post regarding some discipline or censure for the Henry County delegation. I have never seen such disregard for manners and propriety among educated people attending an organized political gathering!

jstjoan May 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm

So let me get this straight. Calling for the Sargent at Arms to enforce the rules is bad manners? And, if that’s the case, then manners and propriety take priority over obeying the rules of the convention? You are spinning this to try and make it appear as if the Henry delegation is guilty of some sort of wrong doing. But the facts show that the only one who acted improperly was the person on the floor in willful violation of the rules. Her VIP pass, nor her appointment as an observer of the vote counting process, gave her the authority to intervene in any part of the convention process.

Doug Deal May 16, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I think having a video camera rolling to film a discussion might out you as someone looking for trouble.

In fact, it might also make you a felon, since taping a conversation without permission of the participants is a crime, depending on where it was, and if there was a reasonable expectation of privacy. In a private discussion with another member of the caucus, it might very meet that standard.

Video taping average, normal people without their consent is at best rude. At worst it is patently aggressive behavior and should have gotten you ejected from the floor. It is also seriously creepy.

Ambernappe May 16, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I, too, am a relative newcomer to GAGOP – only since being transferred to the Atlanta area in November 2009. I am pleased to have been selected as a delegate to both the District and State conventions. Nothing would have qualified me to step up as a candidate for Chairman of the GAGOP, and I have actively participated in campaigns since – oops, you are not interested in the wisdom or experience of anyone over the age of ?. We need new blood? Please explain what that means.

Comments on this entry are closed.