Happy Birthday, Truett Cathy

Today noted Georgian Truett Cathy celebrates his 90th birthday. He’s already planning the party for his 100th.

Regardless of your politics or personal belief system, Mr. Cathy is a testament to American exceptionalism.

My grandfather told me stories of buying Coca-Colas for a nickel from a young Truett outside Graybar when it was in downtown Atlanta. I met him once at the Hapeville Dwarf House when I was very young (possibly with my grandfather) and once again this past Christmas. He was then, and still is, a gracious Southern gentleman.

From small acorns mighty oaks grow.

1. View from Brookhaven says:

He’s the only guy who can put a big plastic cow lawn ornament in his front yard and not get a letter from his HOA.

Cheers, Mr. Cathy!

2. Calypso says:

From small acorns mighty oaks grow, and from small eggs mighty spicy chick-fil-A sandwiches grow.

3. Rick Day says:

I wonder if the rumor is true they get that delicious flavor from baptizing the birds just before slaughter?

This chicken sammich died for your Sins™

• Lea Thrace says:

+10,000 internets for you!

(but only if you can actually get them to start selling on Sundays)

4. I met Mr. Cathy back in either 1979 or 1980 at a Georgia College Business and Industry Conference. He was always a strong supporter of GCSU and an extremely gracious man, with his time as well as his money.

And the Sunday Chick-fil-a sales? It won’t happen.

The only complaint I ever heard about Mr. Cathy was that he allowed employees to have Bible study before business at his corporate HQ. For some reason this was offensive to certain elements in the media.

5. Clone Of B. Plyler says:

Happy Birthday Mr. Cathy !! I’ve had the opportunity to meet Mr. Cathy & spend time with him. He has been a blessing to Toccoa Falls College and many college students. LONG LIVE CHICK-fil-A !

6. analogkid says:

I hear Graybars are a great place to score Coke.

7. Charlie says:

As I know I’ve written before, Mr. Cathy spoke to my church youth group when I was much, much younger, and I sat with him at dinner, and was also the one to introduce him. Before he left, he stopped and gave me his card, said to call him if I ever needed anything. I still have his card.

He’s the real deal.