You’ve Just Been Screwed Again By The Senate On Sunday Sales.

On this Charlie Brown Valentine’s Day Special, Lucy again had enticed Charlie Brown to kick the game winner.  And once again, fumblerooskie.  Sunday sales appears to be dead for this session.

Jim Galloway has this piece as a primer on some of the problems behind the amazing disappearing act of Sunday Sales again.  While his info is correct, there are a few other items that contributed to another amazing display of profiles in courage.  This includes behind the scenes actions of “liberty loving” Senators who are friends to Peach Pundit and who can’t bring themselves to vote for what they claim to us they represent.

I’ll have more to say on this in my column for tomorrow.  But for tonight, just rest easy knowing that the Senate made sure you got screwed this Valentine’s day.

H/T to Mike Hassinger for the Lucy and the Football reference.

1. analogkid says:

Georgia Voters: “Ooh! A box of chocolates! You shouldn’t have!”

Georgia Legislators: “Yeah, you might not want to eat that.”

• MSBassSinger says:

A point of clarification. Banning Sunday sales of alcohol is not social conservatism. That comes from the same mindset of social liberalism that brought us prohibition. There is nothing – nothing – in Scriptural Christianity that teaches us to use government to impose our faith.

I do not drink (started at 13, stopped at 21) and don’t allow booze in my home. That is my personal choice. I have no problem being around others who drink responsibly. Scripture doesn’t say not to drink – it says not to get drunk. That is something between a person and God – no government intervention necessary. It only rightfully becomes a legal issue when one’s drinking impinges on the rights of others, such as when one is publicly drunk while driving or legislating.

While there are warmed-over liberals masquerading as social conservatives pushing a moral agenda under the guise of Christianity, I reiterate that there is nothing in Scripture about using government to achieve those ends. The Person of Christ, His Gospel, and the omnipresence of an active Holy Spirit is sufficient if we who call ourselves Christians will concurrently “walk the talk” and “talk the talk”.

He was sufficient to get me to quit drinking, why would I think He is insufficient for others?

• GCSULib says:

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. -Galatians 5:13

• MSBassSinger says:

How true. Was there a supporting verse that says this should be forced upon others by government? Of course not (and yes, I know you were not saying there should be).

Thank you for posting that.

2. This is sad. We can do much better.

We don’t want a lot, we simply would like a reasonable agreement to allow municipalities to have a referendum.

Why is this a problem? (Don’t answer; I know. I simply could not resist the call to be rhetorical.)

3. Three Jack says:

as i stated in an earlier thread, if the senate gop backs down on this issue again, then it is time for new leadership. the governor said he would sign it, give him the pen and paper!

4. Harry says:

If you guys have the “freedom” to buy a destructive substance on Sunday, can I have the “freedom” to burn my yard trash in Gwinnett on Sunday?

From Wikipedia:
    Alcohol abuse is associated with wide spread and significant brain lesions. Alcohol related brain damage is due not only to the direct toxic effects of alcohol; alcohol withdrawal, nutritional deficiency, electrolyte disturbances, and liver damage are also believed to contribute to alcohol related brain damage.

• KD_fiscal conservative says:

Yes if you are already allowed to do it SIX OTHER DAYS. Or at another location even on Sunday. Your position can’t even defended by you guys, so thus you resort to absurd comparisons.

• Harry says:

Those other 1,123,434 government infringements don’t negatively impact the profitability of a powerful industry with well-budgeted lobbyists!

• Jeff says:

Of the 1,123,434 government assaults on my freedom (a low ball number if there ever was one), this SHOULD have been the most slam dunk easiest to remove.

Of course, there are MANY in this State who apparently WELCOME Shari’a law, and WANT us to be a Muslim Theocracy, and therefore removing this has stalled.

Remember, prohibition is part of Shari’a…

• I see no reason why you shouldn’t be able to burn your yard trash on Sunday, so long as the odor doesn’t wake me up in time to feel guilty about not going to church, but does wake me up in time for NFL countdown.

• Harry says:

I see no reason why you shouldn’t be able to buy you booze on Sunday, so long as your drunken behavior doesn’t wake me up in time to feel disgusted about not doing more to influence a more sober society, but does wake me up in time to get my road trip done before you attempt to drive down the same road to buy more booze.

• drjay says:

and there is a big hole in your “logic” scooter, even in ga, even though one couldn’t get a six pack at food lion, they can, in fact, on sunday, head to the applebee’s suck down a dozen bourbon’s and then get on that road with you…all things being equal, i’d rather they buy their beer at the store and go home…

5. KD_fiscal conservative says:

“senate gop backs down on this issue again, then it is time for new leadership”

The other side is saying the same thing, and apparently, the state senate is scared of them. The other thing to remember is it easier to get unreasonable people “riled up” over small things. And thus you see unproportional representation of unreasonable people’s opinions, you see this over and over again on many different issues.

I mean think about it, should simply allowing local control for stores selling something you can already buy at restaurants, really that big of a deal…not to most of us, but to these folks we are somehow attacking their faith.

• Three Jack says:

good point kd. the ‘other side’ aka ‘christian conservatives’ have controlled the debate far too long. if gop leaders continue to be no more than puppets of these self righteous hypocrites, then they deserve to be dumped at the next possible opportunity.

6. Does anyone know if Sunday sales of alcohol or the state prohibiton there of has been challenged in court…. my thinking here is maybe it’s time to give up on the state and legislative process/non-leadership and invoke the commerce and/or equal treatment clause in federal court and call for the feds to ‘regulate’ or make regular the sale of legal alcohol.

I would think it would be easy for grocery and convienance stores to show that the majority of their sales on Sunday are food and non-alcohol items, which I believe is the standard used for resturants and these store owners demand ‘equal treatment’ and the removal of state bariers of a good that may be sold across state lines. (Logical inquiry of a non-lawyer)

7. SallyForth says:

@Daniel, good question – I sure don’t know the answer. The “equal treatment” thing might hinge on whether grocery and convenience stores want to sell alcohol by the drink like restaurants do, or do they want to sell it by the quart, pint, gallon, 6-12-24 pack, etc.?

But never say never. It’s too early in the Session to count any bill as being dead. They have a strange way of getting up and walking about at the most unexpected moments. I’m just sitting back to see how this one plays out.

8. Dave Bearse says:

Chip Rogers first said: “There’s no reason to bring a bill to the floor if it doesn’t have the support to pass.”

Later on the ugly truth came out: Bills aren’t to be voted on unless the legislation has the suppoer of the majority of the caucus. “That’s our general rule on all bills. That’s not just this bill — all bills.”

The GOP Senate leadership thus has decided that 19 GOP Senators, only one-third of the Senate, may prohibit a vote on any legislation. Rules like that increase the liklihood there will be new GOP Senate leadership in 2013.

9. seenbetrdayz says:

Damn. Looks like we have to keep staying up until 11:59:59 P.M. Saturday night to get our Sunday drinks. God’s gonna be so angry if he ever figures out that loophole.

10. Mama_grizzly says:

I don’t understand why it is opposed. It is already being sold in restaurants. The Senate leadership is a group of spineless men. Maybe if the rest of us start voting the opposite of the way these Christian conservative groups votes, things will change.

11. Steve says:

Oh stop it, people. I’m eating breakfast.

The Georgia GOP leadership is like an abusive husband, who regularly beats his wife (i.e. you guys). You always talk about how you’re going to leave him. You talk about how you’re going to walk out on Saxby’s speech at the convention. You talk about how you’re going to boo Sonny at the convention. You write blog stuff that comes within an inch of endorsing Roy Barnes.

But when the cops show up, and the moment of truth arrives, you back down and slink off to the kitchen. Every… single… time.

Sunday Sales is the equivalent of that husband leaving his dirty clothes on the floor, instead of putting them in the laundry basket. He knows you’re going to nag, and you do in fact nag and nag… but so what? You won’t leave this man when he *beats* you. Do you seriously expect anyone to believe that you’ll leave him over some socks on the floor? Please. Just stop it. Shut your stupid mouth and go make the man a sandwich.

12. John Vestal says:

The GOP senators who are cowering on this issue need to realize they can mitigate backlash from the minority in opposition by simply stating,

“While my personal beliefs compel me to oppose Sunday sales of alcoholic beverages, I also cannot allow my dedication to the basic conservative tenets on which I was elected and to which I am committed be compromised. I will oppose Sunday sales in my District, if a referendum is held, but must respect the rights and liberty of the Georgia residents outside of my District by affording them the same opportunity.”

I mean…..seriously.

And the senators like Judson Hill who (apparently) simply don’t care what the vast majority of their GOP constituents want need to start thinking about life after public “service”.

• John Vestal says:

Funny, on Jan 25 Hill tweeted “I have listened to my constituents. The bottom-line is the current government structure in Fulton county is untenable.” (emphasis mine)

Then, “The time has come to put the interest of the taxpayers first. The case for Milton County has been demonstrated.”

In the words of your wife, Senator, (but accurate this time)…..

“YOU LIE!”

13. Doug Deal says:

Instead of whining, primary these people or donate to someone who will primary them.

But of course then you’ll complain that you can’t win, and that only results in more whining, so maybe that’s not such a good idea.

If you are not willing to invest anything but words in an issue, you all deserve to be ignored.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Seriously? If asked during a primary how they’d vote on this issue, most of them would have or did say they’d support local control over the issue. In 2 years, the next batch will say the same thing, and we’ll be right back where we started.

I’m OK with it, I keep my bar well-stocked, it’s just disappointing that there’s no true leadership and no balls on this relatively meaningless issue.

But you’re right about the whining, that never helps, just look at SB31 from 2 years ago.

• Doug Deal says:

My point is just that the consensus on PP is bringing a knife to a gun fight. This side is “disappointed” the other side (if it lost) would invest every ounce of their energy, every dime of their fortune and every second of their time to defeat the “heathenous rascals responsible for this effrontery to God and Jesus.”

14. B Balz says:

Behold, the ‘Power of the Scorecard’!

IMHO, “Sunday Sales” is a relatively benign, legislative trial balloon for the ‘Keepers of the Scorecard’. By mere mention of the ‘Scorecard’, support for allowing a democratic vote on “Sunday Sales” evaporated faster than 94 Proof gin on a hot Georgia day.

So, dear readers, what issue will next test the ‘Power of the Scorecard’? Three clues:

1.) An issue so complicated most cannot understand the basics,
    2.) An issue so visceral, most everyone has an opinion,
    3.) An issue no Senator really wants to deal with.

15. John Konop says:

This issue is a classic example of a perversion of priorities. The state is facing issues with jobs, education, transportation, healthcare pensions for state workers………..and this is a major issue?

I happen to think it should be decided locally but this issue is very low on my radar.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

I guess I see your point John, but just because I’m behind on my mortgage payments doesn’t mean I stop wiping my butt because the mortgage is my top priority.

• Doug Deal says:

John, you are right, but just because something is of lower priority does not mean it shouldn’t be fought. Think about the other issues that are shoved through the legislature that are even lower priority items.

The reason our liberties are eroded because each erosion taken alone is trivial. However, even though they are trivial, their effect is non zero, and when you add them all up it’s a huge attack on freedom.

It is like people who propose some program and say it is ONLY $1 a month per person. But add up 100 of those programs and it’s a $100 a month per person, which is really about $250 a month per household. If you can’t draw the line on the small stuff, you will never draw the line of the big stuff.

Still, no one expending the energy on complaining about this has the will to do anything of substance about it, so the Senate is just acting in rational self interest against the other side who do have the will to do something about it.

16. SOGTP says:

The only legitimate derivation of gub’mint is to protect the Liberty and Freedoms of the people. Sunday sales is a decision best left to the local communities and let the people decide whether they want the freedom to buy alcohol to bring home on Sunday.

I’m disappointed at our supposedly small “r” Republicans in the State Senate.

17. B Balz says:

Time for an OPEN THREAD:

In lieu thereon, I’ll stay somewhat topical and talk about real screwing, DC style: It only hurts when you think about it.

“… The F-35 engine vote presents 87 GOP freshmen — infused with a fervor to cut spending — with a dilemma: Vote with the Obama administration to cut spending now or side with supporters of the alternative engine, who argue that it would save money by injecting competition into the F-35 program, the costliest weapons program in Defense Department history. …”

Gonna be mighty interesting to see how this one is spun. This is a case of defense spending gone wild….A backup engine program has never been contemplated before. The cost of one F-35 is staggering.

H/T AJC:

At least each taxpayers deserves a 1/24 scale Revell model of the F-35, with decals, just like our reps get.