All Good Things . . . And Florida

Thus may we see the end to everything.
Of man and woman just the same is true:
Needs must, in either season of the two,
That is to say, in youth or else in age,
All men perish, the king as well as page;
Some in their bed, and some in the deep sea,
And some in the wide field- as it may be;
There’s naught will help; all go the same way. Aye,
Then may I say that everything must die.

— Geoffrey Chaucer, Knight’s Tale

As I was writing this post, the Florida bit wasn’t in there, but several of the front pagers asked if I was going to finally respond to GriftDrift about Florida.

I didn’t even know it was an issue. But apparently (see, for example, here, here, and here) it is an issue with him.

Anyway, it seems this all has to do with me pushing Marco Rubio over Charlie Crist in Florida — at least that is what I’m told — even though when I started pushing Rubio he was at 4% in the polls.

Well, Florida’s looking pretty damn good Grift. It’s kind of cool to have a friend in the Senate and a friend in the Governor’s Mansion down there. Yes, I think Rick Scott will win there.

Thanks for asking Grift!

So now on to the main purpose of this post.

I have written 4,833 posts at Peach Pundit. Clayton and I started it on June 1, 2005, and have been going nonstop ever since. We’ve seen a number of front page writers come and go.

Today is my turn to go.

I have enjoyed tremendously being the so called Peach Pundit. But as my career at RedState, CNN, and elsewhere have grown I’ve had to put Peach Pundit on the back burner more and more often.

Frankly, Peach Pundit has always worked best by being a place for non-partisan or, at least, bipartisan analysis of Georgia politics. As my career has grown in right-wing punditry, it is harder and harder to separate the RedState Erick and the Peach Pundit Erick. While I may see myself as able to do it, others don’t. Republicans get mad if I say something nice about the other side or critical of the GOP. Democrats do the same in reverse. The Democrats, though, are more fun because they are always convinced I have an ulterior motive.

In any event, RedState pays the bills. Peach Pundit does not. The choice is pretty easy. Peach Pundit has always been a hobby and I don’t have the time or energy to continue on with it. I’ve made some great friends and . . . um . . . some not. We’ve gotten some great scoops and have helped steer the conversation in Georgia Politics. I’m proud to have been a part of it and you’ll see me from time to time.

But for now I’m stepping back, passing the Peach Pundit title off to Charlie, and heading off into the sunset. It has been a joy to get to know many of you. I’ll be at RedState daily, CNN most nights, and you’ll be hearing a lot more from me on other exciting new fronts soon.

God bless.

1. Chris says:

God Bless Erick.

I too will be moving on from PeachPundit for job reasons, but I did want to say it was an honor and privilege blogging here with you.

I suspect our paths will cross again.

2. Erick-
    Thanks to you and Clayton for founding this site. I remember when our “bipartisan analysis” included a lengthy discussion of Gary Black’s logo and other minutia only a true political junkie could appreciate. Thanks for letting me have my fix, and good luck to you.

3. Jeff says:

We didn’t always agree – that is probably an understatement – but you did a great thing for Ga in creating this site, Erick. I’ve never hidden that yours was the model I based my own site on.

With you going more hyper-GOP, we’ll probably disagree even more.

Still, thank you for creating this site, and I look forward to some spirited contests in the future. 😀

4. Doug Grammer says:

Dad gum it, Jeff stole my line!

We probably agreed far more than we disagreed. I just want to look in the Oxendine binder and find out who RomenyGeingrich2012 is. Best of luck to you, and I appreciate what you started here. Does this mean Tanalach Media LLC had been sold?

5. Charlie says:

I’m reminded of the Grateful Deal Lyric “What a long strange trip it’s been.”

I had no idea what I was getting into when I started commenting on Peach Pundit, and I doubt Erick and Clayton really did when they started it. I know there are days when we still don’t. Peach Pundit has been and will be “what it is” in the eyes of the beholders.

But whatever it is, Erick has fostered it into something unique, and given the time I and others spend here, something that has value.

I’m honored and humbled to be assuming some new responsibilities here, but most of all thankful.

Well done Erick. I’ll try not to screw it up.

• ZazaPachulia says:

There goes Charlie, quoting the ‘Dead’ a day after he voted against the Republican candidates for governor and lt. gov.

I’m just giving you a hard time… I’m sure you’ll do well in charge.

• Charlie,

Don’t worry that you might “screw it up.” I guarantee there will be some mis-steps, but they will add to the excitement, not diminish it. I do expect things to change, because that’s what things do.

Keep doing what you do. Be bold, be honest and, most importantly, have fun.

Good to see you in Tifton last night.

• Kellie says:

Charlie – maybe you will add a woman to the line up. It is needed. There are a few on here now that may work out for you.

Erick – Best wishes to you and your family.

6. NorthGAGOP says:

Thank you Erick & Clayton for starting and growing PP.

Good luck Charlie, you have some big shoes to fill.

Lastly, good luck Farris, not going to be he same around here with you gone.

7. Erick Likes Puppies says:

Quick, Charlie, do or say something to really piss me off. I presume I need to change the avatar again.

8. Erick,

Thank you to you and to Clayton for starting Peach Pundit.

This is the one site I always visit when I sit down in front of a computer. So, I’m addicted and I expect to stay in need of an elusive 12-step program while Charlie is in charge.

I look forward to seeing what happens here and I certainly wish you well on all of your endeavors.

Thanks again.

9. analogkid says:

I’m proud to have been a part of it and you’ll see me from time to time.

Does this mean that you’ll still be posting as Pete Randall?

Anyway, good luck in all your endeavors, Erick. PP has brightened many a day for me, and I trust that with Ick at the helm, it will continue to do so.

• Steve says:

That Icarus guy. The grown-up in the room… whenever Buzz isn’t in the room.

Hey, we all forgot about Buzz!

10. gatormathis says:

……wow…the ever changing world evolves another notch or two…..then again, maybe several notches by the end of this week as evidenced already…..it has been interesting to say the least…..and now hanging this “grafitti” of words up on a wall that doesn’t have to be washed and repainted to make it look “normal” again…..
    Eric has listed his tally of posts and such…..no telling actually how many words have been stuck up here by the participants over the years, not having to be printed, mailed, or any of the other resouce consuming alternatives available to spread the “good” or bad news…..where one may read and be thought a fool quietly in their own privacy……or do-lika-do, post a comment and remove all doubt, as the comparable sayin goes……
    I read around on a few other blogs of similiar matter, and few get the amount of reply postings from such an array of folks, on such varied matter…continually…..over so many years……
    Soooo…….congrats Erick on a long haul……of posters and readers…..and taking a void of webspace and making it a “meeting” place where those who get to “converse” here….meet “there” when coincedence permits, and have gotten to “know” each other, whom otherwise would probably have never crossed paths….
    ….and ya’ll don’t cry to much over erick……while he may be gone fer a bit…….he’ll be as my momma sez about me……..don’t worry, they’ll send him back….lol…….go get em hoss!!!!!

11. Tyler says:

Erick,

I wanted to sincerely thank you for the opportunities you have given me here on Peach Pundit. I’ll miss you on here and wish you luck out in the “real world”. I’m glad I can call you a friend and hope to catch up with you soon.

God bless.

12. I’m grateful to Erick & Clayton for starting Peach Pundit and in October of 2005 inviting me to join. While what I post will change somewhat I’ll still be around helping Charlie keep the the pot stirred.

Good luck to you Erick!

13. View from Brookhaven says:

Good luck, Erick.

Next time you see Spitzer, give him a message for me. Two words, seven letters…