Home Stretch Open Thread

I’m about to start my trek down to Tifton, where I hope to witness the election of Austin Scott to Congress.   I hope wherever you are tonight, whether your candidate(s) wins or loses, you at least take a moment to appreciate that this experiment in democracy known as America is the worst form of government around – except for all others.

It’s been a long road, and one that I frankly hope is over with tonight.  In reality, there will be a few races here or there, possibly some major ones, that will require a runoff.  We’ll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.  But for now, this one evening, let’s mark an end to this long, and often weird cycle.  For most, the campaign is over.  Tomorrow, we need to begin to focus on governing again.

I’m taking my laptop, but I doubt you hear from me for a while.  My best to all of you, even the “and others, not so much”, and we’ll see you on the other side.

OPEN THREAD:

1. Dear Fellow Republicans,

The cycle is largely over and what’s been done is done. The good news is that in 4-8 years we’ll get a chance to shuffle up and do it again. When that happens, I have one request. Can we please nominate some people for office who have had some success outside of politics? I promise you’ll like the goverment that follows.

That is all

Clint Long

• seenbetrdayz, Ph.D. says:

Nope. Sorry, Mr. Long. We’re gonna wait to start thinking about who we want to represent us until the very last minute. Then we’ll narrow the field until the most lousy candidate (probably an incumbent) earns the right to claim the influential “R”, recite recycled platitudes about “needing politicians with experience,” and verbally shut-down any voter who doesn’t fall-in when the master yells “Crunch Time!”

2. saltycracker says:

So the Republicans sweep.

The $64k question is will Obama shift to the center as Clinton did or will he stand firm on his ideology and calling any Democrat who strays an enemy.

Odds ?

• NoTeabagging says:

Obama was supposed to be for all people and bipartisanship. He really failed that one. He had a chance, more than anyone else, to show some leadership and bring the parties together on the floor, the backroom, and in front of the media. He failed big time. That has been his biggest failure, in my opinion, and It will take a supreme spin master to turn it around. Harder if the republicans gain majority and imperative even if they don’t.

• Clinton never had an ideological core. In his soul, Clinton just wanted to be elected and be popular. He started out as a moderate Dem in Ark, so moving back to the center in wasn’t a big deal for him.

Barack Obama is a dyed in the wool leftist. He believes in his heart of hearts in social justice and redistribution of wealth. I don’t think he’s capable of a righward shift of any significant measure.

3. drjay says:

well be careful, if you get in a wreck south of macon on 75, they just put you down like a horse because they have no way to treat your injuries down there…

4. saltycracker says:

Back to basics. Will hip-hop stations save the day for O ?

Media is reporting that Obama “furiously worked the phones to urban-format radio stations Tuesday, arguing that his agenda would be “all at risk” if Republicans trampled Democrats. ”

“Interrupting the music and chat of the station’s morning show….and say that even though he’s not on the ballot, his agenda is. ”

“…..calls went to radio stations……with large African-American listenership.”

5. kyleinatl says:

I think I audibly said “bullsh*t” when I read the wording for Amendment #1.
    That got a no vote on being a leading question alone.

• NoTeabagging says:

Yup, they bet “economically competitive” was going to make us feel warm and fuzzy inside. They didn’t count on how many people just recharged their BS meter batteries.

6. Bill Hagan says:

I must say, I wish I was in Georgia tonight rather then at home in New York. This will be a great night for the GOP and a bad night for Jim Marshall.

7. Bill Hagan says:

I was thinking this might be a tight race with Scott winning in the end but with 29% reporting it seems like Marshall is without hope.

8. Bill Hagan says:

ATLANTA — Republican Austin Scott has defeated Democratic U.S. Rep. Jim Marshall in middle Georgia’s 8th District.

Marshall, a four-term congressman from Macon, was ousted in Tuesday’s elections amid a tide of Republican gains in Congress.

With 72 percent of precincts reporting, unofficial returns showed Scott with 53 percent of the vote.

During the campaign, Marshall insisted his independent voting record showed he was not beholden to either party. The Democrat voted against President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul and said he opposed keeping Nancy Pelosi as House speaker.

Scott, a state lawmaker from Ashburn in southern Georgia, attacked Marshall for supporting $787 billion in stimulus spending and raising the government’s debt limit.

9. John Konop says:

Should Steele get the credit….?

Steele: I would win reelection

Politico-Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, exuding new confidence after a 48-state “Fire Pelosi” bus tour, said he may seek reelection as chairman in January despite criticism by those who think he has been weak on money, management and message.

“Oh, if I run, I’m going to win,” Steele said in an interview for the POLITICO video series

Read or watch

10. John Konop says:

Erick Erickson has a hit list for the GOP?

Tea Party activists didn’t have to wait for the results of the 2010 elections to start conspiring about their targets for the next cycle. Sen. Orinn Hatch (R-UT) has long been considered a primary target, alongside Bob Corker (TN), Richard Lugar (IN) and Olympia Snowe (ME). All of the aforementioned are Republicans with a penchant for working in bipartisan fashion, some more than others.

One surprising name popping up on the 2012 target list, however, is an individual that the Tea Party turned into a cult hero of their movement. Scott Brown (R-Mass) has spent the past ten months in office building the framework for his reelection. He’s worked with Democrats on a variety of economic initiatives while siding with the Republican caucus on other measures. He has been, as conventional wisdom goes, about as conservative as one can be in Democratic-leaning Massachusetts. But, for some, not conservative enough.

On Wednesday morning Red State’s Erick Erickson put Brown on his list of “Potential Tea Party Targets for 2012.”