If You Only Could Vote For One Item On The Ballot…

Since one of the most discussed topics of last week came from a friend’s Facebook page, I’ll lift another for today’s question.

Representative Ed Lindsey asks the following: If you could only vote in one political race or for one ballot initiative on Tuesday, which one would you vote in and how would you vote?

1. Jeff says:

Governor. John Monds.

For Equal Ballot Access if nothing else. The tyranny of the Big Government Party MUST be stopped, and Equal Ballot Access is the best tool available for doing just that.

• Ditto,
      Call it tyranny, monopoly or repression by the majority… Free people should be able to run for office without overly obstructive barriers or any sworn political alliance to a Party…

• KingWulfgar says:

I agree with Jeff and Daniel about ballot access.

Although, given only ONE race, I might have to vote for Donovan for Senate. It would certainly be a tough choice between the two races!

• jm says:

I’ll support that. Not John Monds…but ballot access. In fact, I like what Jesse Ventura says – get rid of the party affiliations, and each man stands for himself, on the merits of his abilities, on the issues. But, since the parties are the problem, they are self perpetuating by having the power.

• KingWulfgar says:

I don’t know what the advantages or disadvantages of each are. The one political entity I’m involved with on FB is a group and that dynamic seems to work. But, I’m no FB expert.

2. Charlie says:

If I could vote on any race, I would vote for Austin Scott in GA-8. I think the GA-8 race most fits the theme of 2010, and the change the Republicans need to make on the national stage.

Because I don’t live in GA-8, I’ll use the criteria of where my vote is most likely to matter relative to my interest in the race. So for the votes I can actually cast, I would have to say that voting against Amendment 1 is the one I have the strongest feeling for.

And, because I do not want to deprive our readers of their ritualistic opportunity to respond with “who cares?”, I’ll try to post later today or tomorrow how I intend to vote on all races. I’m frankly still undecided on quite a few, so maybe you guys can help me make some decisions.

3. I know this sounds sell-serving but I’d go to Blairsville and vote to re-elect Stephen Allison to the State House.

If I had only two votes I’d follow Charlie’s lead and vote for Austin Scott.

4. Three Jack says:

i agree with john and charlie, vote no to amendment 1. the gop is likely to sweep all the major offices, so votes against deal, isakson, cagle, etc. really won’t matter.

i look forward to speaking with my gop legislators to find out why they supported the amendment and worse, wording on the ballot.

5. Doug Grammer says:

I’d vote for Roy Barnes for Governor. Georgia was named after King George of England. We need to return to our founding father’s original intents. No I don’t mean the guys who signed the declaration of independence. I mean James Oglethorpe, the first Governor of Georgia in 1732. He respected royalty. Maybe because he was on the take. Georgia was meant to be a debtors prison. With the economy in the shape it’s in, that sounds like a job for King Roy. Georgia was also meant to be able to serve as a buffer to keep out Indians and keep Florida away from the more respectable colonies. I don’t know if that would improve the Dawgs or the Jackets chances should they play Florida State, but it’s worth a shot, right?

My name is Clint Murphy and I approve this message. Will someone please get King Roy some crayons? He wants to draw new maps and can’t stay inside the lines!

6. Since I asked the question, I should answer it.

My single vote would go to my friend and fellow Republican Beth Beskin running for State Senate here in the City of Atlanta. Beth has deep roots in the Atlanta community. She chose to run against a deeply entrenched Democratic incumbent for a seat most of us in the Republican Party had given up on years ago. Beth, however, was tired of being ignored and taken for granted by her liberal Democratic State Senator. In short, Beth has chosen to run in a race she knew from the beginning was hard to win because she believed her community deserved better.

I also like Beth because she is symbolic of other strong Republican candidates in Georgia this year running in either toss up districts or traditionally considered Democratic strongholds. Folks like Sam Teasley and Jason Shepard running in Cobb County, Valerie Clark in Gwinnett County, Karen Kemp in Albany, and Matt Hatchett in Dublin. These are all Republican State House candidates running against Democratic incumbents or for open seats presently held by Democrats. In the State Senate, there is also Gary Guan running against a long time Democratic incumbent in Gwinnett. For Congress, there are, of course, my friends Austin Scott, Mike Keown, and Fenn Little. On a local level, there are folks like Steve Broadbent and Lori Henry running for the Fulton County Commission.

Together, these candidates represent the renewed spirit of my Republican Party. They are community oriented, fiscally conservative, open government, accountability focused candidates taking it to Democrats in their own backyard. I am proud of their efforts this fall and hope to work with them in elected office next year. If and when elected, these Republican public servants next year will do their communities and our state proud.

7. DoubleDawg3 says:

I would actually use mine to vote “YES” on Amendment 2. I’m conservative and have issues with our Republican leaders increasing fees/taxes, but if I can help save the lives of my family, friends and neighbors by adding less than $.90 per month onto my tab for funding a full trauma care center much closer to my local community, I’ll gladly support that.

It’s one of the few times that we, as voters, have an opportunity to make a direct (rather than through representation) impact upon improving our State.

I just don’t buy that an extra $20-30 per household, which is tax deductible remind you, isn’t worth the chance that a trauma care center closer by could be the difference between your spouse, children, or friends living or dying. To me, it’s an easy vote and one I’m glad to cast.

8. Andre says:

If I could only vote in one political race or for one ballot initiative Tuesday, I would vote Steve Broadbent to Fulton County’s next commission chairman.

A lot of times we hear folks talking about there being too much government, and that is certainly the case in Fulton County.

With over 90% of the county in cities, Fulton faced a distinct choice. Do we reduce the the size of government and make it more efficient to reflect the county’s dramatic change; or do we keep things as they are?

Fulton County, under the leadership of John Eaves, chose to keep things as they are.

Frankly, Fulton County government is nothing but a jobs program to keep the friends and family of certain commissioners employed.

It’s past time to reform Fulton. The time to reform Fulton was three years ago. Unfortunately that much needed reform is three years delayed.

Steve Broadbent, I believe, can usher in that reform and give the residents of Georgia’s largest county the smallest, most efficient government possible.

9. Jack Smith says:

I would vote against Ken Hodges. His kind of filth is too perverted, too arrogant and too corrupt to be in a statewide office. Personally, I want to vomit because he’s even on a statewide ballot.

• NoTeabagging says:

Spoken like a true Republican, Jack. Too quick to spew hate and venom before discussing issues and solutions.

• polisavvy says:

Most of us discussed those points back months ago. I don’t believe you were around then. We all have our reasons why we don’t support Hodges.

• Jack Smith says:

By the tone of your post, “No Teabagging,” you are clearly misinformed and ignorant of your candidate. Sounds like the typical Ken Hodges supporter.

If you like having elected offices for sale, Ken Hodges is your candidate. This has been extensively documented here and elsewhere. But then, you’d know that if you’d taken the trouble to read.

Ken Hodges: A prostitute, not a politician.

• Jack Smith says:

You like that, here’s another:

The above is an excerpt from a much larger article in the Oct 27th edition of the FDR dealing with how specially appointed DAs get contingent fees for cases they were appointed to act as trustees of assets. Basically, DAs get to seize assets and turn them over to special appointed DAs who get to take a portion of whatever the state seized (great work if you can get it, right?). It specifically named attorneys Economou and Lambros.

Guess who were contributors to the campaign of the Hodges filth? Anyone ever heard of “pay to play” transactions? Someone should look into this. Ken Hodges has been involved in similar actions, so it smells.

• NoTeabagging says:

My apologies for missing the earlier discussions of Mr. Hodges. You guys got my attention and obviously have more information worthy of consideration.
          I don’t really like Olens or Hodges BTW.
          Apologies also to Jack Smith for calling him out on his statements that sounded TOO Nathan “I attack, therefore I am” Deal.

10. Steve says:

I would vote “no” on Amendment 1. I expect my vote to be in the minority on virtually every other race and ballot initiative this year. I can live with that… just as long as I’m in the majority on Amendment 1.

11. oompaloompa says:

Yes to trauma care. I’d give up my vote on any candidate if we could pass trauma care funding legislation.

12. polisavvy says:

Has anyone else notices that only two posters so far have actually selected a candidate running for Governor? Doesn’t that speak volumes? Just curious.

• Steve says:

I’m voting Barnes… but only in hopes that absolutely nothing would get done under divided government. Nothing getting done would be lesser of all evils, but it’s not exactly something to feel passionate about.

From top to bottom, this ballot sucks. The state political establishment sucks. The only decent leaders currently in place (e.g. David Shafer, Ed Linsay, Mike Jacobs) seem to forever be “waiting their turn” and not running for anything. There is little decent new blood on the horizon. The only candidates I can see voting “for” this year are Carol Porter and maybe Austin Scott. Porter’s running for a near-meaningless office, and most people here live outside Scott’s congressional district. So the lukewarm vibe you’re getting should be understandable.

• John Konop says:

I would also add on Fran Miller to your list, he is one of the smartest office holders I have ever met. He would have been a very good Governor!

I have also had the pleasure of talking to David Shafer, Ed Linsay, Mike Jacobs and Austin Scott and agree all of them are very qualified for higher office. Nothing against Carol Porter I have just never met her.

Finally I give Chip Rogers and Earl Earhart credit because I have seen both of them publically debate people on some very heated issues on this blog as well other public forums. Agree or not with them have always presented an intelligent debate. I know very few people I agree with 100% of the time. And if you are in that position you are living in a echo chamber.

• Steve says:

Eh… I used “e.g.” instead of “i.e.” because I meant to say that those names were examples of decent leaders, not necessarily a complete list. They were just the first names that sprang to mind. I don’t think the complete list is much longer than that, though.

13. jm says:

On my ballot: Yes on TWO.
    Not on my ballot: Yes on Prop 19 (California). I don’t touch the stuff, and I don’t have a problem saying don’t smoke and drive, don’t smoke in restaurants, hospitals, public areas, while operating heavy machinery, etc. But why not in the comfort of your own home?

• Doug Grammer says:

It stays in your system for 30 days and slows your reaction time. You may not be high while driving, but you will still be impaired. Alaska gave it a try, industrial accidents went up by quite a lot and they went back to making it illegal. I also buy into the gateway drug theory.

14. ZazaPachulia says:

That’s a tough one. I’d probably go with Darryl Hicks for Labor Commissioner because he’s the one candidate from home town who I know best personally. I know he’s a Dem and is most likely destined to lose, so he needs every vote he can get.