Carol Porter Responds To Cagle On Ray Boyd’s 11th Hour Complaint

The following was posted on Facebook by Carol Porter.  Note that the same commenting rules from yesterday’s Cagle thread still apply.

Since the day I announced to run, I have kept to the issues facing Georgia and have not once made a personal attack on my opponents. I have stated many times when asked about the incident reported, I was not going there and that I could beat the incumbent Lieutenant Governor on his poor record on the issues facing Georgians. It is obvious from the viciousness of his false attacks on me that I am doing just that.

“The irony that he is protesting what he says is a false allegation,
with another false allegation, seems to be lost on his campaign.”

I have been endorsed by leading Republican pundits and by Republican leaning newspapers. I am getting the cross over needed in Georgia to win and Cagle sees that.

As the people hear the truth on the property tax increases and the tax wasting decisions made by the incumbent Lieutenant Governor, they are coming on board with my message of stopping corruption and cutting waste.

If Cagle were not in fear of losing, he would not have gone back into the studio to cut his latest false attack ad, saying I would raise billions in government spending, when I am the one who wants to truly prioritize the budget and cut the non-goal achieving, tax wasting programs that he protects– like no bid contracts, fish ponds, and choosing to protect the sales tax cheaters. Nor would he have felt the need to make the vile filled and evidence free implication that I influenced Mr. Boyd to file the complaint when I did not. My campaign and I found out about the complaint when we were called by a reporter right before the broadcast.

It is illogical to assume that since Mr. Boyd endorsed Carol Porter and Mr. Boyd later filed a complaint against her opponent, that Carol Porter had knowledge Mr. Boyd was filing a complaint. It is this kind of shallow thinking that has the state in the mess we are in today. I had no knowledge of any kind Mr. Boyd was filing a complaint or even had filing a complaint in his mind. I met Mr. Boyd for the first time when he came by my campaign headquarters to say he was endorsing me and to give me a donation. If you have met him you would know– no one spoon feeds Ray Boyd. He is a man on a mission to bring ethics to Georgia’s government. He has recently put together, with the combined effort of ethics lawyers and past government ethics researchers, a comprehensive ethics bill. Mr. Boyd recently brought the proposed bill by my office. That was the third and last time I have ever seen him. ( In between he attended one of my fundraisers in Roswell. ) Mr. Boyd, as well as others who know the incumbent Lieutenant Governor, have endorsed me because I stand for ethics and openness in government. We all believe Cagle’s political record clearly shows he does not. For Cagle to seize on Boyd’s complaint as an opportunity to attack me and score political points in an election is what is wrong with politics.

The irony that he is protesting what he says is a false allegation, with another false allegation, seems to be lost on his campaign.

I want to make it clear–I had no knowledge of any kind that Mr. Boyd was filing or even had ideas about filing, an ethics complaint against the Lieutenant Governor. I do not need that to win this race. As I have always stated, if I can get the message out to enough people about the truth of the incumbent Lieutenant Governor’s unethical record, I can beat him on the issues facing Georgia. Now, let’s get back to that.

1. Spacey G says:

Trust Death Star Two (WSB-TV) to completely f this whole story up. Way up. And wait ’til the other sausage grinder outlets get a’holt of this.

Actually Richards and Russell, at WXIA and WAGA respectively, may not botch it too badly. Maybe.)

Now THAT’S the fun part to watch! And I thought I was going to be cranky all weekend because I hate stupid holidays crap…

• Erick Likes Puppies says:

Everyone in this universe knows that Cagle was involved with this.

But RAY BOYD being the guy to break it?????

Yeah, noone saw that coming.

• redrock says:

Cagle was involved with what? Cause it seems like you’re flirting with the out of line.

Every side has said without equivocation this is all completely false.

• Erick Likes Puppies says:

Yes, when alleged with things like this, the first thing people do is deny, deny, deny. Go back to John Edwards, Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, all of the Republican sex scandal people…..

• redrock says:

This is completely different – because again, “Every side has said without equivocation this is all completely false.”

Even the person who Boyd alleges saw something said this is all completely made up.

• Melb says:

No, they have said they don’t have proof.

Everyone knows it happened. It is a joke to think that people don’t actually believe this happened, but I understand you got to say what you need to to try and get Cagle elected.

2. Spacey G says:

I gotta wonder who’s advising Boyd on his media matters. Filed complaint just in time to miss a Georgia Gang Friday taping, eh? Probably one of the *political consultant* goons on that show, come to think about it.

• macho says:

It would be nice if they would disclose which candidate, PAC, or company is paying them, before they start mouthing-off on a particular issue. Perhaps a scarlet letter would suffice.

3. Samuel says:

Actually, I’m kind of relieved to hear that it is a woman involved!

I was afraid somebody’s giant closet door was going to open on this one!

Either way – I’m still one lifetime Republican who is voting for Mrs. Porter!

4. Samuel says:

That was the talk when he feigned the neck injury to drop out of the Governor’s race. Ever wonder how he got the neck injury?

5. Velasco says:

“It is illogical to assume that since Mr. Boyd endorsed Carol Porter and Mr. Boyd later filed a complaint against her opponent, that Carol Porter had knowledge Mr. Boyd was filing a complaint.”

Why the switch to the odd 3rd person in the 3rd paragraph? Where did you cut and paste that from?

• bowersville says:

It’s not unusual to switch to third person narrative. Third person emphasizes the name, in this case Carol Porter. As an example, you picked it up and I did too when I first read it. I have heard other speakers use third person. It always strikes me as odd, but I go away remembering the name if nothing else.

• Velasco says:

Thanks for the lesson in proper syntax and omniscient narrative – I was so perplexed. I fully understand how it is used. It’s placement is odd and makes zero sense. But sure – I’m glad you now remember her name.

6. Georgia Judge says:

Pathetic action by a desperate campaign.What a weak candidate, that would allow her team to stoop to such low levels and then try to lay off the blame.

Carol your campaign from the beginning has been veiwed as a gimmick and an indication of how low the DPG has sank.You will be beat soundly on Tuesday and forever linked to this self centered tasteless act.

7. Doug Grammer says:

Well it is good to see that Mrs. Porter said she had nothing to do with it. I don’t see anywhere in her statement where she advised people not talk about it. I also did not see where she commented on the standard of filing an ethics complaint on a rumor with no evidence.

Perhaps I’ll start a rumor about her today and file a complaint on Monday. Do you think she likes moon pies?

My prediction: Mrs. Porter will be crushed by 20 points.

• dj says:

“If you have met him you would know– no one spoon feeds Ray Boyd. He is a man on a mission to bring ethics to Georgia’s government. He has recently put together, with the combined effort of ethics lawyers and past government ethics researchers, a comprehensive ethics bill.”

This is true…just wondering if you have reviewed the ethics bill and your thoughts…

• Doug Grammer says:

One question. Is there anything in his ethics bill that makes it OK to file a complaint based upon a rumor with no evidence? I’m not reading his ethics bill unless there are a number of elected people who believe in it and are willing to introduce it.

The man is lower than pond scum IMO, and I wouldn’t give him a glass of water is he were on fire.

• dj says:

Doug Grammer,

Your response is, as I expected, a refusal to respond to my question which was an inquiry as to your thoughts re the content of the ethics bill…and I understand your refusal to do so in light of your “position” as GOP party chair and the implications thereto.

That being said, to refuse one’s right to file an ethics complaint based upon an existing “lack” of evidence would be paramount to not allowing one to file a lawsuit without “evidence” to substantiate the basis of the suit at the time of filing. Would you support such a requirement prior to one’s filing a lawsuit? It will all come out in the wash…but I find it “typical” once again that you would favor an ethics bill that would provide for such “evidentiary” considerations prior to any filing. The whole purpose of filing an ethics complaint is to provide for an investigation. You and I both know that there are politicians and indivduals of influence that can “persuade” those with less political connections, i.e., means, etc. for the desired outcome (cover)…what have you.

• Doug Grammer says:

Unless it has a chance of being enacted, why should I bother to read a version with strike-throughs? I’ll read existing law, but I don’t have time to read 50 something pages by someone who I consider a nut job.

You didn’t answer my question. Is there anything in his ethics bill that makes it OK to file a complaint based upon a rumor with no evidence?

“Would you support such a requirement prior to one’s filing a lawsuit?” YES, YES, YES, and YES! Our courts are clogged with cases. Many of them have no chance of success and no basis. People like King Roy file in order to force a settlement, but I think he’s smart enough to file with a good reason to do so. There is an opportunity to file a counter claim for frivolous litigation in a law suit, but no such mechanism exists with an ethics charge.

The purpose for filing an ethics claim in this case is not for an investigation. It’s sole purpose is to try to impact the election. Are you really saying it just occurred to your pond scum “non” candidate that there should be an investigation on October 29th?

• dj says:

Doug Grammer,

One more comment…a devoted husband who nursed his wife through terminal cancer is hardly “pond scum” in my book…but I understand your affiliation with Georgia GOP, Newt Gingrich, etc., and I can see how you may think differently…

• Doug Grammer says:

Jack the Ripper may have given flowers to an old woman. Does that make him any less of a killer?

Are you really saying it wasn’t a sleazy move to file an ethics complaint with out regard for the lives of those it will impact, not just the people named, but their families lives as well? Is he that attention starved for another 15 minutes of fame?

What if you were the child of the Lt. Gov? Do you really want your classmates asking you about what they saw on the news about your father? What if you were the father of the female named in the complaint? Would you even want to leave the house and stop to get gas at the local connivance store?

You can say what you like about Newt, but he never filed an ethics charge with no proof to back it up. If he were going to impact an election, he would hold a fundraiser, make endorsements, send a robocall..normal things people of his stature do. He wouldn’t stoop to a spreading rumors.

• dj says:

Doug Grammer,

Your lack of response is telling…just saying…never figured you for the “cowardly” type…not really…I did!

• Doug Grammer says:

dj,

I case you have forgotten, I think you are a little nuts. It’s stupid of you to think that I sit by the computer to read every post as they happen. I will respond to most things as they happen within a day or so. I don’t read every thread, and I don’t comment on every subject.

You stopped posting when your guy who can’t figure out what was required to run for Gov. as Republican crawled under his rock. I have been here posting at least once a week for a long time. IMO, you are the coward. Go crawl back under a rock with your non-candidate, you little cockroach.

8. Bill Mauldin says:

I don’t believe Mrs. Porter had anything to do with this attack, and she has made a good effort to distance herself from it. Under current guidelines just about anyone can file an ethics complaint to stain a candidate running for office. The complaint, unfounded or not, gets the gossip lines going and, thanks to underfunding, the charges do not come before the board until after the election. But when that time comes and the charges are cleared, who cares to listen?

• dj says:

Bill,

It should be easy enough to ascertain upon extensive review of the $170 k(give or take) payments to the woman in question as to whether or not there were any ethical violations…and I question your assumption that the charges will be cleared…and regarding “who cares to listen”…that is just the problem! We need ethics reform, and a move away from the fraternity of politics status quo…

• Bill Mauldin says:

dj,
        I know from experience as a political candidate when an ethics complaint was file against me and it was a full year after the election that I finally got it cleared up with the Ethics Commission… A full year after my opponent attacked me with it in mail-outs and radio ads…

• dj says:

Bill Mauldin,

“…cleared up with the Ethics Commission” being the key words…if there is nothing there, then there are no worries. Excluding of course, potential impact to the race; but that is to be expected in politics. It is a race after all…

9. Georgia Judge says:

Don’t kid yourself she was in this up to her ears,and this lame attempt to lie about it now is a joke.The good thing though is this Liberal Dem and her Liberal Dem husband are shortly going to be shown the door in Ga Politics,with good riddannce.The most classless cowardly play that Ive seen in Georgia politics in a long while.

• dj says:

Georgia Judge,

Re “most classless cowardly play that I’ve seen in Georgia politics in a long while” …where have you been? (LOL)

• B Balz says:

You really believe that Ms. Porter is complicit? How is that knowable? If true, that is a depressing thing.

• dj says:

I don’t beleive Ms. Porter knew anything about it. Ray Boyd handles his own risk management directly himself…I know it’s a new concept, but true…

10. Georgia Judge says:

B Balz,
    It is knowable and she and her team were very much complicit in this baseless hatchett job.Porter’s fingerprints are all over this trash,and like trash Porter will be thrown to the curb come Tuesday.