Ray Boyd Files 11th Hour Ethics Charge Against Lt Gov Casey Cagle

WSB TV led their 6:00pm newscast with this story.

ATLANTA — A one-time candidate for Georgia governor is aiming a salacious accusation at the current lieutenant governor.

Ray Boyd, a businessman who dropped out of the governor’s race, laid out the complaint to the State Ethics Commission on Friday.

Boyd claims Lieutenant Governor Casey Cagle had an affair with a female staffer, then paid her nearly $200,000 in campaign funds — claims Cagle adamantly denies.

A note to our commenters:  We have discussed certain rumors surrounding the Lt. Governor here in the past.   It is late heading into a weekend prior to a Tuesday election.   The timing of this news is bad for both a campaign as well as moderators on blogs.   For now, the rules of commenting on this story are this:   The names redacted in the above piece shall not be mentioned below.  Anyone doing so faces at least a temporary suspension of their posting privileges.  Comments should be restricted to the political implications of the story, the fairness/unfairness of the timing, and related matters.   Keep it clean and within narrow boundaries.  If you have to ask if you should comment on something, you probably shouldn’t.

1. Andre says:

All I’m saying is this:

Not too long ago, those squealing with delight at this story were screaming at the top of their lungs that former President Clinton shouldn’t be investigated for being unfaithful to his wife.

This ethics complaint won’t make Georgia work or put one more Georgian back to work.

So I ask, is there any legitimate purpose in giving these allegations any more of our time?

2. TPNoGa says:

This kind of tactic makes me sick. I was on the fence in the Lt. Gov. race, but I am now going to vote for Cagle. Nothing against Porter, I have a lot of respect for her, but voting for Cagle is the only way I know how to express how disgusting I find this.

• Erick Likes Puppies says:

I would ask you to reconsider. I know a number of people in the political realm, and I can assure you Porter is not behind this. From what I understand, she passed on using this information, instead relying on other Cagle shortcomings. Others, however, felt the need to bring this out. Frankly, I’m on the side of those that ran the story, but this is not a Carol Porter doing. It’s just not.

• Rick Day says:

Because you have already judged any guilt or innocence? Do tell. By what methodology would you vote against someone you respect, and for someone who may or may not deserve that respect?

3. B Balz says:

In my opinion, Mr. [**************] should have thought more clearly about [************] while at the [*********] in [***********] with [*******]. Of course, if Mr. [***************] chooses to [***********] while [***************] and [***************], then nobody would ever vote for [*************] or [*******] again.

I hope this is helpful to anyone who has yet to make up the mind about [************] running for [*****************] Tuesday.

4. GAPolitico says:

We ran a similar story last night: http://gapolitico.com/?p=15978

There was a website that popped up. The story they gave matched up perfectly with the events in the public eye (ie, the dropping out/stepping up, PeachTree Road Race and Recovery time).

My thought: it is either true or it is one hell of a bipartisan conspiracy against Casey Cagle.

• GAPolitico says:

To realize that liars do not fear the truth if there are enough liars. That the devil is just one man with a plan but evil, true evil, is a collaboration of men which is what we have here today. If I am a guilty man, my crime is in daring to believe that the truth will out and that no one lie can live forever. I believe it still. Much as you try to bury it, the truth is out there. Greater than your lies, the truth wants to be known.

• Erick Likes Puppies says:

You reported on it at one point too, Grift. Retracted, sure, but you never thought to delete the post. So you’re just a pot calling the kettle black.

By the way, those kettles have been posting on here about this for quite some time. One of those kettles is named Erick.

And, frankly, I think this kind of crap needs to be known. This has been a well-known “fact” for quite some time. The girl involved (for the sake of anonymity, she will be called Ronald McDonald) is known, the person who caught Ronald and Casey is known, etc.

The issue I have more than Cagle getting his freak on is the fact that he can evidently be successfully blackmailed with that information. Not only does that not show a spine (which would explain the whole “back problems” line) on his part, but it’s also dangerous for the people of Georgia.

I wouldn’t vote for the man whether or not this all came out. Carol has been pointing out his political shortcomings often, and those are the biggest reasons for me. Frankly, this should have come out earlier, and not by Ray Boyd.

• Erick Likes Puppies says:

I’d agree that some might see that as taking it too far. Those that have used names probably did it to gain credibility with their story.

I’m not sure where I stand on this one.

• griftdrift says:

Not sure? Are you kidding me? There’s one person who never asked to be a part of this and your friends made her a public figure. Their is no absolution for that.

• Erick Likes Puppies says:

Not sure which of my friends specifically did, but okay.

I agree with that point in principle, but if the allegations are correct, the person did get bought off in exchange for not talking, and she did (allegedly) give a blowie to a public official. She may not have “asked” to be a part of it, but by being involved, she became a part.

HOWEVER, would I have used her real name? No, I would not have. I think it was a step too far.

• Gerald says:

Oh please. Quit pretending as if this woman is a rape victim. She was a consenting adult to this illicit relationship with a public figure, and she was willing to benefit from it professionally and financially. Where does the idea that her privacy rights need to be protected comes from? Why? Because she might be embarrassed? Excuse me, but she needs to be embarrassed by not only what she did, but for taking a huge amount of money for it. This woman IS NOT an innocent victim or bystander, and should not be treated as such. Claiming such only does a disservice to legitimate victims and bystanders who DID NOT bring negative outcomes onto themselves as a consequence of their own behaviors. In other words, the rape shield law that Nathan Deal tried to weaken does not apply here, ok?

5. Tiberius says:

THe 11th hour is bad for 2 reason:
    1. Late Friday before the last weekend before a campaign? No one watches local news on Friday (well, less than normal). And fewer watch local news or read a newspaper over a weekend. They are too busy living their lives. And then they have 1 day beofre Tuesday?
    2. Last minute by someone with an eccentric record? True or not, it smells of desperation.

• Gerald says:

Not necessarily. The news that George W. Bush got a DUI was released on Friday before the election, and it cost him the popular vote. I do agree, however, that Wednesday would have been better than Friday had it been done for political purposes.

6. Deephat says:

The biological element has been discussed since Cagle was considering a gubernatorial fantasy – and some of us were of the impression that Cagle dropped the bid rather than have the issue raised by Scott, Deal or one of the other GOP pre-primary field. The money element is new news to many of us.

7. fishtail says:

Casey Cagle just doesn’t look like a stud pony….. to me he seems a lot more like Eddie Haskell of “Leave It To Beaver” fame. But I recall the saying that “politics is Hollywood for ugly people” and so assume anything is possible. In the British media there would be salacious photos of the hot chicks supposedly involved, but here in staid old Georgia we are left to ponder who are the females whose names have been redacted. Cagle survives this.

• Gerald says:

That’s because Great Britain doesn’t adhere to the nonsense that the women involved in matters like these are somehow victims who need to be protected from the consequences of their own conduct. But ultimately, the identities are not known only because the Georgia GOP decided to cover it up. There was no way for the Democrats to campaign on this without being accused of A) hypocrisy (Bill Clinton) and B) of slinging mud. It is amazing how many GOPers are willing to sit back and allow people like Nathan Deal and Casey Cagle run this state when they know full well that if a Democrat had 1/4 of their ethics issues, they’d be screaming bloody murder. Even Kyle Wingfield of the AJC acknowledged as much in a recent blog.

• fishtail says:

Gerald…good analysis. Cagle’s actions might indeed rise to the level of criminality if he used the power and influence of his public position to provide taxpayer-funded “hush money”to his alleged victim. Sure does sound like an overt act punishable as a serious felony under the Federal Hobbs Act. Wow!

8. James Fannin says:

I give up. Why exactly did Casey pull out of the Governor’s race again? At the time, everyone I asked what the real story was replied with a stories very similar to the allegations raised by Ray Boyd. Let’s be honest, the only surprise here is that it took this long for this story to go public.

As for the Clinton analogy, Clinton was the single most powerful man in the Western Hemisphere and his relationship to an intern was akin to teacher having sex with a student. When she offered he should have said no – that’s what a decent man in a mentor postion would have done – but Clinton is not and was not a decent man. When confronted, he lied to his Cabinet and sent them out to lie on his behalf even to heads of state, implied that Monica was mentally ill and a stalker and used the full power of the Presidency to try to destroy her. When the blue dress proved he was lying he abruptly switched his strategy to one of “it’s just personal behavior” and overnight his Democratic sycophants started repeating the “personal behavior” mantra without skipping a beat.

9. Epicurean says:

I think it was really kind of stupid for whatzhisface to file the complaint NOW. It’s like he is saying we’re twenty points behind, we have no proof of anything we are saying, but we want the ethics board to spend time and resources on this (even though everyone is denying it and we admittedly have no evidence). Just a couple of thoughts…

1) It’s possible, likely even, that Ronald McDonald was working for a retainer, plus a percentage of money she raised. I am pretty sure that is they type of arrangement she has had with other candidates.

2) Personally, I think it is actually good for Cagle that this was brought out now, rather than later. To bring such allegations with absolutely no evidence at all when a candidate has such a commanding lead seems like a waste. Cagle will win, then he will be cleared. Then, anyone wanting to use this rumor against him in the future won’t be able to.

Cagle should thank Boyd for bringing the complaint NOW, when it is least likely to hurt him, than later.

10. Doug Grammer says:

Lt. Gov. Cagle is going to crush Mrs. Porter on Tuesday by about 20 points.

Mr. Boyd is now getting past the Ron Paul stage and getting closer to Mr. McBerry stage of credibility. So there has been a rumor. So what? Has Mr. Boyd been appointed the to the rumor police? And he wait until Friday before the election to speak up? Did it just occur to him yesterday that it might be true? Timing is everything. This isn’t about getting out the truth; he’s trying to impact the election.

Mr. Boyd admits he has no proof. No sworn statements, no photos, a rejection of the story by the “witness,” and now he may not be a millionaire much longer with the law suit that is about to hit him. (That’s what I would do if I were the woman named.) The complaint will be rejected by the ethics commission because of no proof.

I wish Mr. Boyd a really bad rest of his life. If he had come up with facts and proof, it would be different. If someone could prove something, fine. If they can’t, didn’t their momma tell them it’s not polite to spread rumors? The Lt. Gov is a tough man, but that last time I checked, he was a father too. Is Mr. Boyd so really starved for attention that he doesn’t care about the Lt. Gov’s family?

BTW, President Clinton was impeached for lying to congress, not for cheating on his wife. He could have just not told congress anything and he would have been OK legally. Now he is famous for saying that he “did not have sexual relations with that woman.” He meant that she had sexual relations with him and started talk about what the word “is” means.

• chefdavid says:

Sounds like someone was puffing on their magic dragon looking at websites and then walked down to the ethics commission. Alls we need now to add to the story is a guest appearance by Cheech. He is just trying to give a boost for the movie writers in Georgia. This is the craziest thing I have seen in a long time. I walk away from my computer for just a little bit and come back to an early episode of SNL.

• dj says:

Doug Grammer,

“Assuming that the rumor it not true, this has a really big impact on the woman accused. Can you imagine what her friends, family, and other people who may know her think about this? It was a sleazy move.”

Would you care to comment on Nathan Deal’s views on Rape Sheild Laws and how that might impact women?

• Doug Grammer says:

I already have. Look it up. Nice attempt to Threadjack. I notice you are not saying it wasn’t a sleazy move on behalf of your “non” candidate. He may have a pocketful of money, but he can’t understand what is required to run for Gov. as a Republican.

11. Steve says:

I don’t know of a single Republican who hasn’t already early-voted, and that goes for a substantial chunk of white Independents too. Is something like this really going to fire up the base? Enough to make up a 20-point gap?

I’m scratching my head over the timing here. I think this has virtually ZERO impact on this year’s race… and moreover, the scent of desperation will discredit this rumor for future races. The time for this, if you really had to do it at all, was about 2 or 3 months ago.

• Deephat says:

I am and thankfully I haven’t. I was going to, but I didn’t.
      IF true, is getting paid for sex acts a crime? If true, isn’t it a crime to use campaign funds for this sort of thing?

• I Am Jacks Post says:

“I’m scratching my head over the timing here”

It’s a tempter tantrum–a rich boy taking his ball and going home. That’s it.

Ray, please take your seat aboard the LaRouche Conspiracy Bus. They’ve been saving a seat for you.

12. AtlConservative says:

I’m a Republican and I have not voted yet. I’m a purist – unless there are mitigating factors, I will ALWAYS vote on voting day! While this situation does not change my vote (as pointed out above, this is not a new story), you can’t change your vote if you early vote and something truly game-changing comes out.

13. Spacey G says:

Let me repeat here what I stated on Porter’s Facebook:

Cagle knows EXACTLY who’s flamed this rumor for well over a year now. Trust me, he too reads all about it on Peach Pundit when Erick Erickson writes about it… pretty much all the time. (Erick only does it to keep-up appearances of being some kinda puppet master in R circles. He’s not fooling anyone there.)

And trust me, Cagle’s not fooling anyone with that nonsense directed at the Porter campaign. This is too old and too entrenched in the GA political blogosphere… the people who are extremely engaged and influential in politics nowadays. For better or worse. They eclipsed MSM long long ago.

Only element to be brought on board were the local TV news geeks and goons. And they’re hopelessly and laughably behind on everything. Then when they DO manage to catch-up and report they botch most of it. Because they’re then in a scramble. Vicious cycle, eh?!

14. Spacey G says:

I gotta wonder who’s advising Boyd on his late filing/media timing? Did they miss the Georgia Gang (last before Nov. 2) taping on Friday? If so, one of those goons on the GG is likely on someone’s payroll. But Imma play by the rules here and not name names. Jeez, what cowardly, snively behaviors are being displayed here. These are some of the slimiest, ickiest people on the entire planet. I wouldn’t trust ’em to walk my dog to the curb and back.

• macho says:

I honestly don’t think, when media advisors are taking releasing of issues into account, they worry about timing it for the 35 people who watch the Georgia Gang.

15. TPNoGa says:

Does it not bother anyone here that a perosn can take a rumor with zero proof and file an ethics complaint? I watched channel 11 last night and Mr. Boyd admitted he had no proof, but it was a RUMOR. That makes me sick. Mr. Boyd is a disgusting pig and Carol Porter should return his donation and condem what he has done.

All those involved deny this story. Unless you have proof, keep it to yourself. If this is not true, I truly hope Casey and others sue Mr Boyd for slander.

• chefdavid says:

And why did he stop at Cagle and not file one against Deal while he was there? Seems kind of two faced to me. He says on his own website

It is my belief that Republican candidate Nathan Deal, who is ethically impaired, is part of the problem that is plaguing the Capitol.

If he is fine with filing on rumors he would have had way more material than one web page. I can’t believe the media even ran with this.

16. macho says:

The irony is that there is about the same level of evidence connecting Porter to this ethics complaint as there is connecting Cagle to its charges.

• TPNoGa says:

I don’t think Porter knew. In fact, I wanted her to come out and condem it. Last night her campaign manager was on channel 11 denying Porter’s involvement. However, in the same breath pushed the rumor. Saying there seems to be enough info to justify an investigation. Her campaign’s response sucked IMO.

17. AlanR says:

I don’t have any proof, but I did check the Georgia Ethics Commission campaign finance search engine and found that the Cagle campaign paid full salary to a campaign manager for years in which there was no election. It’s over $4000 a month, and runs for about two years. All rumor and innuendo aside, any of you political hacks around here ever heard of a thing like that? Or is it just me?

I’m also saddened that at a time when so many are in foreclosure because of flimflam brokers marketing subprime mortgages to the unsuspecting, that no one has focused on Cagle’s role in killing the state law that tried to bring some common sense to mortgage lending.

• macho says:

It’s very common for top elected officials to keep a shell campaign organization in non-election years. The Governor and both US Senators have full-time, non-election year campaign managers. You want to make sure you keep a political arm in place, to defer strictly political activities to the organization.

So it would seem reasonable for the LG to have a permanent campaign staffer, and $48,000 a year seems on the low end of the spectrum.

• AlanR says:

You’re right. I checked Perdue for 2003 and he actually kept two people on for the whole year.
        Not that I don’t trust you or anything. Trust but verify.
        Thanks.

• macho says:

What was the law to bring “common sense” to mortgage lending? I’m all for basic regulation, but many times, something that is considered a “common sense” banking regulation is nothing more than removing individual responsibility and blaming the big, bad banks for expecting their shareholders get paid for their loans.

• Doug Grammer says:

Uh… raising my hand here…

The mortgage laws in Georgia got changed in 2001 so bad that they ran many lenders out of the state. In 2003, they got tweaked again and most of them came back. The meltdown started in 2007, and many of them went put of business. The federal government enacted new laws that have driven most mortgage brokers out of business, because banks are exempt from the new laws.

I’d like to know what more restrictions you want on the industry that has the best chance to start to really pull us out of this mess?

• AlanR says:

The 2001 law included a provision that required lenders to demonstrate that any refinancing of a home loan less than five years old would provide “a tangible net benefit” to the borrower. This made it much more difficult for subprime lenders to do mortgages that have landed people deep underwater. Of course, many of the mortgages were then sold to Fannie and we may all pay the price. The key actor in Georgia was Ameriquest — and one of the things Ameriquest used to get the attention of legislators was money, and Rolling Stones tickets.

It worked and the Georgia Senate wrote a new law that eliminated the tangible net benefit requirement. The lenders pretty much got all that they wanted.

What the subprime lenders called unfair and a regulatory burden in 2001 looks pretty good today.

• Doug Grammer says:

You left out the buy back provisions that were in the bill. If a broker originated a loan and it went south (into default), the broker could be required to pay the full amount of the mortgage. The same language went into requirements for the lenders.

It’s one thing to have insurance in case a borrower doesn’t make payments, it another to be required to pay off the loan in cash. Removing that was what brought the lenders back.

I also don’t like the fact that Georgia and other states put a maximum of 5% fees on a loan, and that includes processing, appraisal, and underwriting fees. Any loan less than 65K, I turn down on the spot. The people who want 30K loans, will just have to make survive on their own. If a bank won’t do it, then they get no money. If I could charge something to make it work my time, I’d help them. It takes just as much time and resources to do a 10K loan as it does a $500,000 loan.

The 2001/2003 laws are still hurting the people it was supposed to help, the low income people. There’s nothing wrong with a net tangible benefit requirement, which most lenders have on their own without being required to do so by law. 99% of all subprime lenders are now out of business.

18. AlanR says:

Thanks, Doug. If the industry followed your example, we wouldn’t have any problems, and you’d do better by doing good. And I will gladly defer to you on the details of policy. It’s your profession.

The rewrite was Cagle’s. It originated in the senate, it originated in his committee, he was chair. It went the way Ameriquest wanted it to go. It got rid of the things the subprime’s didn’t like and Cagle got the contributions. That’s my problem.

So I’ll be writing you in for Lt Gov. At least you’ll get one vote.

• Doug Grammer says:

Thanks! If elected, I promise I will promote policies that will encourage free enterprise with reasonable regulation when appropriate. One of the biggest problems that we have now is that it is too hard to start a business and keep it going.