1. Rick Day says:

Ah Free Speech™

Now sold to the highest bidder, thanks to the Bush appointed SCOTUS.

I’m sick of these attack ads and I don’t even watch them! Your side is mean, R’s. You lie and you stretch. Reap what you sow, you ignorant hillbillies.

Now there is some Free Speech™ for you to wrap up and take home to the kids.

• polisavvy says:

So, let me get this straight. It’s okay for Democrats to do attack ads and engage in dirty politics; but, it’s not okay for Republicans? When did that become a rule? Was it about two years ago? As for the ignorant hillbillies comment, well I take personal offense to that one. Most who come on here are going to take offense to that. Very unnecessary, but expected.

• Rick Day says:

NO it is not ok for ANYONE to run attack ads, get that straight. But Republicans got this extra meanness from Atwater, Rove, et. al. You are the worse of the lot, and until you stop, THEY won’t stop, and this country will die a martyr’s death.

Robust debate is one thing. Personal attacks are another. You can not excuse this.

• Personal attacks such as calling people who disagree with you “hillbillies”?

By the way, check your geography, this part of the state wouldn’t include hillbillies. Think of another derogatory term if you can.

• Rick Day says:

if you unapologetically vote R, ‘just because you hate the Obama Socialist lib’rls’ then you are indeed a hillbilly. Take your medicine, Paw.

I’m sick of what this process is doing to us all.

• polisavvy says:

I hate it as well, Rick, I really do. I’m sick of it. Candidates need to run on the issues PERIOD and leave all the personal attacks and negative attacks out of it. I think we both agree on this point.

• Doug Grammer says:

Rick,

I watched both ads. What is not a fact? Did Congressman Marshall take 46K from the Speaker? Did he vote for her for Speaker 4 times? Was he thankful for her support and helping him stay in congress? Did he vote with her almost 90% of the time? Did he vote for bailouts, raising the debt limit, increasing the death tax?

Did Congressman Bishop vote to increase his pay? Did he steer congressional caucus scholarship money to members of his family? Did he send earmark money to a company that employed his kids?

What part about either of these ads is a lie or a stretch? I guess telling the truth might seem mean.

• Rick Day says:

I watched both ads. What is not a fact?

I don’t know what is not a fact, but I do know that WE do not REALLY know any ‘facts’. A Fact is a point of law, not a sound byte. Therein lies your problem, sir. Sound bytes attacking an opponent is rarely ‘factual’.

Point out not what the opponent has done WRONG, CONCENTRATE on what YOU are going to do that is RIGHT for the people. Ergo, ISSUES.

This is all “vote for me because I am a *bit* less slimy than my opponent. Surely you can not defend this tactic, Doug.

• Doug Grammer says:

Facts exist outside of a courtroom. They are known to be true and without dispute, especially if accompanied by something like a voting record or a paper trail when giving money to family. Fact = something that actually exists; reality; truth. Now you know what a fact is.

Fact: Congressman Marshall voted for Speaker Pelosi 4 times.

Fact: Congressman Marshall accepted 46K from Speaker Pelosi.

Fact: He thankful for her support and helping him stay in congress.

Fact: Bishop sent congressional caucus scholarship money to members of his own family.

We are discussing the ads, not what I would do if I were running either campiagn. These are not the only ads on behalf of these candidsates, so it is a LIE to say that they only run negative ads. Do you think these FACTS are something that are not relevant or something that the voters don’t need to know?

• polisavvy says:

Doug, stop wasting your breath on this guy. He’s not interested in hearing any stinking facts. Everything you said in your response to him is accurate. He can’t hear you with his hands over his ears.

• Doug Grammer says:

I’m just driving home the main points for other readers. There was no chance of getting this guy’s vote. He also needed to learn what a fact is.

2. Rick Day says:

Yeah I went there. Anyone who would vote for such a corrupt corral of candidates ARE ignorant hillbillies. Yes, that means YOU.
    STOP.

SCREWING UP OUR STATE.

IN THE NAME OF PARTISANSHIP.

3. aoburns says:

Attack ads work because they are negative. Just like most of the 11 pm news everynight is about car wreaks and murder. Do you think the ratings would be up if they started with which dog won the ‘whatever’ award? Do you see us talking about Isakson and his ‘i’m a great guy’ commercials? No
    some attack ads are false and some are true.
    That’s what we should focus on.