Why I’m Voting FOR Carol Porter

It should have come as no surprise to regular readers of Peach Pundit that I, along with most other contributors, will not be voting for Incumbent Republican Lieutenant Governor Casey Cagle.   We’ve dedicated many posts to our problems with the “Light” Gov, and so as to not lose focus on the topic, I will not repeat them here.

But voting against someone does not equate to voting for someone else.  There are options for protest votes, and there’s the too often realization that you’re voting for the lesser of two evils.  Carol Porter was kind enough to join me for breakfast two weeks ago, which I requested at the urging of some mutual friends.   I wanted to learn more about the person who was most likely going to be the recipient of my vote against Cagle.   I left with Porter not only receiving my full support, but a small campaign contribution as well.

At the risk of dooming any future she may have in the Democratic party (and in the hopes that one day, she may have one in the Republican party), I’ll start by saying that my assessment is that Mrs. Porter is more conservative than many people the Republicans currently have on the ballot this year.   She has a clear understanding that removing the homeowners’ property tax relief grant is in fact a tax increase on property owners.    She’s quick to point out that Cagle agreed with her two years ago when he bragged about saving it, but now claims it’s a local government problem since he helped eliminate it.  She also cedes no ground on social issues, and in my opinion, could teach the leadership of certain so-con groups a few lessons on manners, decorum, and dignity.

Porter’s solution to Georgia’s ongoing budget crisis is what she calls “Priority Budgeting”.  In short, she believes that constant across the board cuts require neither courage nor great intellectual capacity.  Rather, they are a knee jerk solution that merely passes the buck; that don’t address what government should be doing, and more importantly, what it should not.  Anyone can cut 5% of everything, and pass the decisions along to staff and bureaucrats, but it takes leadership to decide what programs will get funded and which ones will be gone.   Porter promises that leadership.

On this point she was clear:  Items that the State needs to prioritize should not be receiving across the board cuts so that ineffective and outdated programs can survive.  Rather, Georgia needs to focus its limited tax resources on the programs the state needs to be involved in, and others need to be eliminated entirely.

She believes that education is among the state’s top priorities, and as such, needs a serious refocus on preparing students for their next step beyond K-12.   In what she calls “Earn or Learn”, she wants every high school graduate either prepared to excel at college, or prepared to earn a meaningful salary via technical education.   This concept ties into her economic development plan, as she believes that Georgia will not attract employers unless there is a readily available, trained work force.

She’s also an outspoken critic of the current ethical environment surrounding state government, and seems to have a good grasp of what is, and what needs to be.   Further discussion of that topic will probably just cause me to discuss why I’m voting against the incumbent.  This article remains about Mrs. Porter.

At what I thought was the end of a mostly political breakfast, I decided to ask about the family business.   Carol, along with her husband (and house minority leader DuBose), run several newspapers in central Georgia.   I asked casually if things were going well, and if they’ve noticed signs the economy is bottoming out.  My follow up question was “…but have you figured out the business model for newspapers,” as most newspapers, large and small, have faced readership leave for the internet, and advertisers leave for Craigslist, or, just leave.   The answer was surprisingly affirmative, and what followed was a discussion about what Mrs. Porter had to do as the mother of 4 (all Eagle Scouts), with a husband in a leadership position in his party mostly in Atlanta, to re-invent a business. With the economy collapsing, stakeholders doubtful, and IT folks saying what she wanted couldn’t be done, she set about re-building their entire business model and within 24 months, has turned the enterprise around.   I know there are a lot of folks currently on the ballot, and many more of us who are not, who wish we could claim the same.

The conversation continued for quite a bit longer after that, and each time she responded to any question with a firm, matter of fact, common sense reply.  The kind of replies that frankly, you don’t get from many in either party these days in an era ruled by poll driven sound bites and consultant speak.

Frankly, to say that Carol Porter has an uphill battle is an understatement.   Her fundraising has not matched that of the incumbent, and her name ID in the Atlanta region remains somewhat low.   She’s also running as a Democrat in what may be the biggest Republican wave in history.   Regardless, my votes and my public support aren’t given because I’m trying to pick a winner.   I’m voting for Carol Porter because she best represents and articulates the conservative principles that my party claims to stand for.   I will make no apologies in voting for a Democrat to demonstrate that.

• Steve says:

The Barnes campaign has been almost exclusively focused on dirt, to the exclusion of any substantive issues. I am voting “against” Deal in that race, but I have no real reason to vote “for” Barnes.

Porter is certainly a long-shot dark horse to put it mildly, but it’s good to have a credible opposition campaign in a race. If she wanted to “go there” with her campaign, she has much better dirt to work with. Instead, the campaign has been positive and issues-driven.

The value of having a credible opposition campaign on the ballot is that at least (informed) voters have to be aware of their vote. If the Dem is Vernon Jones, you can pull the GOP lever on pure reflex. Here however, if one were to support Casey Cagle at this point… it would be due to the ‘R’ beside his name, and for no other reason. At least you have to be conscious that it’s purely a matter of party loyalty (or loathing of the other party).

Maybe Casey doesn’t need to be nervous about this one race. But if he has aspirations of seeking any higher office once this next term is up… I’d certainly be nervous seeing recognizable long-time party activists crossing party lines and “loyalty oaths” to openly endorse my opponent. I don’t think he really wants people being conscious of their votes, and understand that they’re voting in the general purely due to his party affiliation. Because in a gubernatorial primary, he won’t be the only Republican there.

• Word says:

It’s amazing to me that people keep saying that Cagle has all this supposed “dirt”. Please enlighten us as to what that is? I can assure you that if Carol or the Democrats had any evidence of anything they would use it. Don’t be so naive.

I also have no doubt that Cagle has done some stupid things but if there isn’t proof of it then there is technically no dirt. So all you pundits that think you know soooo much please state to the readers and bloggers here what the dirt is? Remember, it has to be crediable so fire away! Steve we can start with you.

• edmund says:

It is completely unbelievable that Porter hasn’t pursued every avenue of “dirt” available to her. That she hasn’t found anything doesn’t prove she has been positive, it just proves the conventional wisdom that there’s something to be found is false. She’s ready and willing to go negative — she’s been negative from day one of her campaign.

• B Balz says:

So it is your considered opinion to endorse an able and gracious woman, with absolutely ZERO legislative experience to the TOP Seat in the GA Senate?

Why?

D’ya think the man has had an affair?
      D’ya think the man is corrupt?

No proof of either statement exists, and unless the same is forthcoming there is no foul. Insiders may know differently, and those folks may be affected by this information, but I am not.

I tend to lean toward pragmatic, and the TOP seat in the Senate simply needs to go to somebody who has actually experienced the up’s and down’s of marshaling a Bill through the process.

It is critical to be able to have enough respect of your peers to have a confidential relationship, built on years of experience, knowledge of BOTH the legislative method and institutional history.

Charlie, this is a brave course, to speak your mind in the face of the majority. So too, for Clint. I have not made a decision for Gov, but this race seems easier, I’ll cast my vote to cancel Charlie’s.

Elections have consequences.

• The term “legislative experience” makes me want to jam a pencil in my ear. It’s not brain science going at the capitol. Have you met the guys up there making laws? They’re not exactly our best and brightest. Everything you neeed to know about the legislative process you can get from a School House Rock video.

Further, if those gentlmen (and I use that term loosely) aren’t mature and professional enough to work in a constructive and respectful manner with a newly elected LG (or any other official for that matter) they need grow up or get out.

Unless you mean one needs to know which wheels to grease and which lobbyist is DTF and who’s honey pot is where to get things done. And if that’s the case, that’s our GOP majority’s problem. Not Carol Porter’s.

• B Balz says:

“Have you met the guys up there making laws?” Yes, neighbor from the Finger Bowl District, I indeed have met quite a few lawmakers. Most of the them are astute and deserve a lot more respect than an anonymous blogger (myself, included, but then I am not dogging ’em) deserves.

There is a process, there is a method and there is institutional knowledge that is requisite for making good law. It is not simply sounds bites like “…they need to grow up or get out…” .

If you have problems with the GOP, then become more active in resolving them. I don’t think Ms. Porter, as delightful as she is, is inclined to help resolve them.

• If you click on my moniker you will see my name, so I’m not so anonymous. Linking it to my facebook was just easier than setting up a new sn.

I stand by my statement. Not brain science. Ms. Porter is more than capable navigating that institution effectively. Unless of course the Senators decide to act like children and freeze her out. If that were to happen, I think Mrs. Porter will be very effective at using a bully pulpit.

And, for the record, I spent the better half of an entire year working to resolve problems within the GOP. Literal sweat, blood, and sleep were lost. I saw first hand how most of these lawmakers work and I was not impressed. I pass people in the hallway everyday that are twice as smart, 3 times as humble, and 4 times more mature. They fight like all hell against qualifed outsiders or great ideas that threaten their comfortable status quo. They’re children in that way and it works to the detriment of Ga citizens. It took this once young, idealistic, passionate, activist and turned him into a cyncial observer.

• B Balz says:

Here I thought you were a crusty old Buckhead denizen!

I advocate under the Dome, have for awhile. There are big egos, small minds, but I DO feel overall GA is well served.

I am going to agree to disagree, voting for Ms. Porter is like voting for DuBose.

• Velasco says:

Watching PAC 10 football also makes you “want to jam a pencil in your ear” – so I’ll take that as an oft uttered statement you throw around a lot.

“It’s not brain science going at the capitol.”

It’s not rocket surgery either.

You are clearly not one of our best or brightest, so I’d go easy on throwing insults at the hundreds of fine men and women who serve our state at the capitol each session.

• I heard it a week or so ago and it stuck with me. I’d say watching Oregon and and UCLA play is about as objectionable to my pallet as the phrase “legislative experience” so it works for both.

Since we’re obviously facebook friends, why don’t you identify yourself to me via a message. Or are anonymous shots like this the way you prefer to interact with adults?

1. GAPolitico says:

Carol is the only clear choice in the race. She has by-passed a lot of negative stuff and focused on issue-driven, positive campaigning. She has been all around the state, talking to voters and explaining the issues. I think anyone who has ever met her in person will tell you she is dignified, but does not mind calling out corruption.

If she could meet every Georgian in a 1-on-1 or small group setting, I think she would walk away with the state at about 80%. Sadly, we live in an era of 30-second sound bites. It is hard to fit a pro-education, anti-corruption, fiscally responsible message into 30-seconds.

I believe she will win the votes of most people who watch the debate this weekend. I would not be surprised to see her pull one of the largest upsets in Georgia history come election night.

• Velasco says:

Good try Dustin.

Carol has been negative since day one – that’s all she has.

And yes, If any candidate for any office (regardless of party) had the opportunity to shake hands, have coffee and talk “1-on-1” with every person in the state, they would most likely win significantly. Congrats on this breakthrough. I hope Carol is paying you for such epic advice.

2. drjay says:

while i do still think cagle will win, and do plan to vote for my party’s nominee, this is the one race where if folks wanted to vote someone off the island, it kinda wouldn’t matter, the senate would revert back to pre cagle rules regarding the ltguv and strip the post of all but it’s most basic constitutional powers, which are fairly limited and the sen pro tem once again be a de facto lt guv…

• Scott65 says:

Vote for your party’s nominee. The “party” hasn’t done such a bang up job the past couple of years in my opinion. Even after reading this post you’d still vote for Cagle. I guess if my dog ran as a republican you’d vote for her too. Seems kind of stupid frankly, and unfortunately if its an R wave ( cagle/deal) we all will pay for the stupidity of persons such as yourself who refuse to look at whose running, not the letter after their name. Sad really

3. KingWulfgar says:

“Georgia needs to focus its limited tax resources on the programs the state needs to be involved in, and others need to be eliminated entirely.”

I’m leaning toward voting for Porter, but did she name even one department/area that needs to be defunded entirely? Nobody seems to be willing to (R and D, alike) and, frankly, I’m not inclined to believe the rhetoric from either side when they’re not willing to truly get behind what they have to say.

4. Wiley says:

“She believes that education is among the state’s top priorities, and as such, needs a serious refocus on preparing students for their next step beyond K-12. In what she calls “Earn or Learn”, she wants every high school graduate either prepared to excel at college, or prepared to earn a meaningful salary via technical education. This concept ties into her economic development plan, as she believes that Georgia will not attract employers unless there is a readily available, trained work force.”

Check out Cagle’s record on the Career Academy and Charter Schools. I believe Mrs. Porter may be regurgitating Casey’s policy points.

5. Baker says:

One thing jumps out at me here, your specific mention of the homeowner’s property tax relief grant and its possible removal. While I agree that raising taxes is bad, mmkay, someone needs to actually start taking a stand against the maze of tax credits and grants and relief options blah blah. Do away with all that bull#@% that politicians use to buy votes and just lower the regular rates darn it. What is so hard about that?

• John Konop says:

Baker,

This is the problem we spent the money already. We have an 18 billion dollar liability in Georgia alone with healthcare for government worker when they retire with about 4 percent in reserve. The state and federal government are not required to report future liabilities like we do in the real world.

The system will blow-up between federal and state liabilities for commitments via Medicare, SS, VA, Medicaid……….

At then end of the day we either pay the bill or it will all collapse. The real question should be how we pay the bill with all solutions on the table. But both sides do not want to have that real hard conversation with constituents.

What we need is leadership willing to make the tough calls even if it means serving 1 term via the lack of popularity with the tough medicine.

• Baker says:

Yeah, I definitely hear you and agree certainly that we don’t have any money. My point is that all those tax credits and reliefs and all that is plain and simple vote buying that everyone seems to want to get rid of but when you say, “well let’s get rid of this tax credit” people start screaming. On a different note, I am a strong believer that the hidden tax of compliance is worse than if rates were a little higher but way simpler to deal with.

6. Georgia Judge says:

No surprise here,very misguided but not surprising.Looks to me like Porter took Cagles Policy Points and are trying to make them hers,not going to work.
    You guys have taken gossip and rumurs and spread them for years how about you guys or Porter come with some proof??? The answer is because you do not possess any and you have simply rehashed second and third hand gossip as if it were were fact.
    Cagle wins going away and as far as recruiting Dems like Porter over to the GOP no thanks.

• Clint says:

I just want to point out that those of us who have crossed over to support and vote for Carol Porter don’t have a financial interest in continuing the status quo. We’re not lobbyists, we’re not kissing up to the current regime, we’re not looking to carry favor, etc…

As well, no one here, besides you Judge, is pushing rumors or even mentioning them for that matter. My how the hurt dog barks.

• Velasco says:

Clint,

Don’t be delusional. Every front page poster here has pushed rumor and innuendo. That’s ridiculous for you to attempt to turn that around.

• So recruiting Dems like Perdue and Deal over to the GOP is good, but recruiting Dems like Porter over to the GOP is bad. Umm… okay. Not sure I follow that logic, but you’re certainly entitled to your opinion… however misguided it is.

7. John Konop says:

What does conservative mean any more?

Are tax cuts without paying for them conservative?

Is it conservative to be against people being forced to pay for insurance who game the system on people who do pay?

Is it conservative to force your religious views on other people via civil unions, stem-cell…..?

Is it conservative to cry death panel merely asking people to have a directive for end of life care? Especially after knowing this is major component in solving health care crisis that unarguable if not dealt with will tank our economy.

I grew up in a liberal democrat family. I ended up voting in general for republicans because in college William F Buckley message of individual responsibility, not being the policemen of the world, living within our means…..seemed very logical. To be honest I am not sure what party represents my views anymore.

• Jeff says:

Individual Liberty… Check.

Non-Interventionism… Check.

Sound Fiscal Policy… Check.

Sounds like the LP is the place for you, John. 😀

• B Balz says:

AJC writes of Mr. Shane Bruce, LP candidate for Insurance Commissioner, who arrived at the Atl. Press Club debate clad in his Hawaiian shirt:

“I can out run, out ride, out shoot, out hunt, out fish anybody standing on this stage. I am a true Son of Liberty.”

When y’all quit jerking around and get a credible Party, with a credible messenger, I will listen.

• kyleinatl says:

This is painfully true. I sincerely want to support the ideals of the Libertarian party, but when less than ideal candidates are all that are being provided, it’s hard to get excited for them.

Thank you, suh!

I desperately want a viable third Party, polisavvy. How many times have I railed that our current Dem/GOP system is nothing more than a shell game for the rich and
            powerful. And Corporations.

Take a look a the most current disclosures reports for BOTH Roy and Rep. Deal. Please notice that QUITE A FEW donors gave the max to both candidates. That, is where we are. One blogger mentioned that is his preference!

To me that is all the proof one needs to see that Brand Dem and Brand GOP are nothing more than a label change on the same jar of peanut butter.

Generally, but not always, I like Brand GOP because of something Harry said. Roughly paraphrased, at least Brand GOP attempts to be self-correcting, transparent, and fiscally conservative.

The good folks that are trying to make the LP work, hat’s off, kudu’s, and keep trying. It will take time, time that we do not have. Please don’t run a househusband as your gubernatorial candidate, or joker-boy, Sun of Liberty for Insurance Commish.

Is that more clear, polisavvy?

• Jeff says:

John Monds is man who could have made a ton of money in the financial field (his degree), but chose instead to stay home and raise his family, taking personal responsibility for them rather than relying on government to raise them.

He is the ONLY candidate who has refused to engage in the mudslinging in this race.

And he was the ONLY Governor candidate to attend a PRIDE event, because he is the ONLY Governor candidate committed to Constitutionally limited government.

I’d take him over either of the lawyers any day, and twice on Sunday.

• kyleinatl says:

“He is the first African American candidate to run for Governor in the history of this State.”

I’m not sure that’s true…I seem to recall there was an independent candidate in 2006…maybe just my imagination…

• kyleinatl says:

I guess he never made it that far…but I recall a gentleman who was a State Rep at the Gold Dome when I was an intern who was running, african-american…I’ll figure this out.

• drjay says:

i’m going to assume he means on a november ballot–and is not counting failed attempts at a nomination, even though that isn’t what he said…

• Jeff says:

correct. November ballot. John is the FIRST African American to appear there as a nominee for Governor.

Technically, none of the others who have ran (Andrew Young, Thurbert Baker, at least) have ever been a nominee for the office.

• Jeff says:

and I’ve already called Shane out on it once today, with at least one more time (not counting here) planned, and possibly 2 – and I’m a former Executive Committee member.

I COULD be even harsher on Shane than I intend to be, but there are others who know what I know that can get it out even better than I.

Show me where the GOP calls out their own for being stupid? Because I hear CRICKETS from GOP Leadership on Deal’s or Cagle’s corruption. (For those interested: Cagle is tied to Deal’s corruption over Bart Graham and GSD, which taints him to some degree at a bare minimum.)

Show me where GOP leadership is calling out Mark Butler for sleeping with lobbyists and then using strong-arm tactics threatening to sic Glenn Richardson on her employers when they tried to fire her?

GOP Leadership will stay stone cold silent when one of their own should be sent packing. LP-Georgia leadership – at least as far as *I* am concerned – will not do the same.

• B Balz says:

“Show me where the GOP calls out their own for being stupid?” Plenty of times, to be sure.

~gently~ But, the GOP is already on the ballot. The LP cannot afford to be making rookie mistakes, being ‘like’ the other guys to earn their third party status.

I have to explain that?

If Mr. Monds had made plenty of money and then chose to raise his child, I’d be impressed. I know a few guys like that.

No doubt, he is a good man, no need to defend him, he is ‘not electable’ by most people’s view. Not a slight on him, he is not right for now.

• Jeff says:

ah, so only professional politicians should are “electable”. Ok.

BTW: Can anyone tell me how John Barge has managed to be out on the campaign trail so much? He claims he is still employed by the Bartow County School System, but his campaign calendar shows him to be campaigning QUITE a bit during the school day – including all this week (“Red Ribbon Week” in schools)

• Clint says:

John, being a conservative just means having an R by your name. You don’t have to stand for anything. You just have to raise enough money to advertise so people think you’re a conservative 8 weeks every 4 years.

8. careermom says:

Carol Porter for Lt. Governor. We need her voice against corruption in state government. As a Christian conservative, I am willing to give her a chance to call out back room politics and put morality in the forefront.

• ACCmoderate says:

Pro-abortion candidate? Where’d you pick that up? I believe that Carol is the only candidate I’ve heard with a reasonable position on abortion that isn’t rooted in ignorance.

“I’m fed up with these vague – because that’s what they are – labels that derail conversation,” she said.

Georgia has no say-so on the largest issue of whether abortion should remain constitutional, Carol Porter said. And the smaller issues that merely graze the topic should be dealt with on an individual basis.

“I’m sorry, I’m not getting labeled on it. It’s a difficult issue for everybody in this state,” the Democratic candidate said.

Likewise, she declined to say what she thought about embryonic stem cell research – a large issue at UGA.

But here’s what Carol Porter wrote on the topic:

The question politicians really need to be asked is not, “Are you pro-life or pro-choice,” but instead, “will you work to reduce abortions?” My answer is yes, but if you have to give me a label you will have to call me pro-Georgian.

“The reasons women give for having an abortion underscore their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life. Three-fourths of women cite concern for or responsibility to other individuals; three-fourths say they cannot afford a child; three-fourths say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner”, according to L.B. Finer et al.* (from a list of choices)

It is obvious if we want to truly decrease abortions we should work to create more financial stability for women. When you improve the economy, abortion rates will go down.

The real question we as Georgians need to ask is, “Do we want to truly decrease abortions or just turn out the vote on it?” To run under the banner “pro-life” and to legislate in a way that creates the very factors that lead to abortions is baffling.

Because of poor leadership, our state does not have a reliable water source and our major city sits in gridlock. We are dismal in our rankings on educational achievement and have an excessive dropout rate. The thing we are now becoming known for is being number one in the percentage of our population in the correctional system.

Small business in Georgia is struggling and unemployment is high. Law enforcement has been reduced to unsafe levels and our population is in the top ten most unhealthy. Yet the Georgia leadership who allowed these statistics are all “pro-life.” Saying you are “pro-life” and then creating the conditions in which abortions increase is disingenuous.

In Georgia, the label “pro-life” has become among politicians a label used not to decrease abortions, but to increase votes. Take for instance this past session: the elected Republican leadership let a “pro-life” bill, SB 529, pass the Senate but only with a backroom agreement it would not make it to the floor of the House for a vote.

[The reference is to a bill that would have made it illegal for physicians to perform abortions — if they knew the woman involved had been “coerced” into the procedure.]

Do you think those who passed it out in the Senate, when campaigning this fall, will remember to mention the prior agreement that kept the bill from passing into law?

There is a book entitled “What’s the Matter with Kansas” which explains how politicians pretend to embrace the “pro-life” banner to get voters to vote against their own best economic interests. This unfortunate occurrence has been going on for years in Georgia as well.

In this economy we can not afford this duplicity anymore. We must not let the smoke and mirrors distract Georgia from our financial crisis and continue to hold Georgia’s economy back again. If we improve the economy, we will decrease abortions. This is one pro-Georgian who intends to work to do just that.

* Finer LB et al., Reasons U.S. women have abortions: quantitative and qualitative perspectives, Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2005, 37(3):110–118.

9. MSBassSinger says:

Casey Cagle is not the ideal candidate, but Carol Porter – really?

From her website (http://www.carolporterforgeorgia.com/pages/issues):
    Georgia’s education system is at the bottom of the rankings, while the percentage of our population in the correctional system is number one in the entire United States. These two rankings are directly related. ” – Yes, the answer to crime is making smarter criminals. Crime is not committed due to a lack of education. A lack of education and crime both stem from serious character flaws that eschew the one and choose the other. Hey, Carol, how about really doing something for education and tell the teacher unions they are “persona no grata” in the Lt. Governor’s office.

falls short of a comprehensive plan needed to move Georgia into the future” – Lib speak for we need to force people into mass transit, and find new ways to steal, uh, tax, money out of those who insist on driving their own cars.

(on water) “we must first consider all options including fixing leaky pipes; maximizing gray water; smart landscaping; installing efficient fixtures; improving and raising existing dams; and metering all use” There is no shortage of water. Never has been. What we need are local water authorities who bring back the deep well sources as backup to the reservoirs that dry up from time to time, and allow property owners to dig their own wells for personal use. I, for one, am tired of the government-created hysteria and mythology on “dwindling resources” so that government can take more power, grow larger, and take away personal freedom.

The entire “Public Safety and Health” section is nonsensical. What does the HOPE scholarship have to do with public safety and health? And since when is it the State government’s job to make us healthier (whatever wacky definition they come up with)? Hey Carol, how about local and state governments stop cutting back on the first tier priorities, like law enforcement and fire, while preserving the social welfare functions that add nothing to the State or community?

As the general manager of a small chain of newspapers” I guess that is all but tattooing “LIBERAL” across her forehead. Since this statement is under the “Business” heading, it seems her solutions are centered around government. Hey, Carol, here is a good place to start: Tell Georgians the truth that all taxes on business are really just a scam that are taxes on you, the individual taxpayer and consumer, and that you will seek to end all business taxes. Then remind them that government cannot create one single, net-new job. Nada.

Anyone else concerned that Carol Porter is anything more than DuBose Porter’s puppet? Really, why is “she of no accomplishments” in the race? I guess if it worked for Hillary…

I am tired of the Rockefeller Republicans in the Georgia RP that have given us low-life politicians of questionable character, but that seems to be what happens when you take social conservatism out of the mix. You remove the core of morality in conservatism, and that is what you get.

I am tired of the Rockefeller Republicans in the Georgia RP that give us insanely stupid ballot items like this year’s Amendment #1, Amendment #2, and a host of other laws from past years that makes one wonder just how brain-dead you have to be to be favored by the Georgia Republican Party.

• kyleinatl says:

Taking Social Conservatism out of the mix? Who are you? Pat Robertson??
      You’ve clearly been living under a rock. Why don’t you leave the political analysis to those of us who have to deal with its ramifications every session?

Also…“falls short of a comprehensive plan needed to move Georgia into the future”
      Perhaps she’s implying that Georgia should work towards actually helping to IMPROVE and increase access to public transit sources, making it more attractive for potential riders? Rather than your uninformed assumption that she just means punishment for those who elect to stay in their cars…isn’t that what tolls are for? 😉 Ask Sonny sometime about that…

• MSBassSinger says:

If you take away/exclude politicians who freely choose Christian moral principles as the basis for his or her moral choices, what is left? Same principle for politicial ideas. Anything else has historically ended in oppression, poverty, lack of freedom, and violence.

Who says mass transit is the right answer? Mass transit doesn’t work in small town & rural areas, which is most of Georgia. If the majority of voters in metro Atlanta want mass transit, then let them pay for it. It is not a statewide issue.

Why would you assume I support what Sonny did, given my screed against Rockefeller Republicans?

• kyleinatl says:

That’s hillarious. Many of us would argue that Christian “moral principles” have been one of the driving forces in violence, lack of freedom, and oppression. You’re giving your faith too much credit.

Re: Mass transit, Tell that to someone who is stuck at home due to age or disability and can’t get to the doctor…Mass transit brings Para-transit, a service that Georgia is sorely lacking statewide.

Also, Atlanta is one of the major economic drivers that pushes this state forward whether you want to admit it or not. Something that helps Atlanta, helps your rural areas.

• MSBassSinger says:

Would you be specific about a Christian moral principle or principles that “have been one of the driving forces in violence, lack of freedom, and oppression”. Doesn’t exist. Humanism, socialism, communism – they all have resulted in failure and destruction.

Actually, paratransit is a federally funded program that is implemented all over Georgia. I am very familiar with that industry, and even rural places like Camilla have paratransit available and in most cases for the poor, free.

Metro Atlanta business generates a lot of money that is then sent outside the state, but the “not Atlanta” businesses (agricultural and others) generate about 1/2 of the state portion of GDP. Without “not Atlanta”, Atlanta dies and businesses move out of state. Metro Atlanta and “not Atlanta” need each other, but they do not need to sustain each other in things like mass transit. If you want mass transit, pay for it. Stop trying to live out of someone else’s back pocket.

• kyleinatl says:

On freedoms…let’s look at the gay marriage issue, or civil unions…that particular moral principle is denying a freedom guaranteed currently to those only of a particular sexual preference. I’m sorry MSBassSinger, I’ve read your blog entry on this, how does an “immoral relationship” affect you personally? I’m willing to bet your answer is going to suck, quite frankly. On violence, some of those same “moral principles” have led to the death of good people, like Harvey Milk or Matthew Shepherd, and those are just two really obvious names that could come off the top of anyone’s head.

All over Georgia? You want to clarify? Care to tell me where I can find coordinated paratransit/human services transit in say…Houston County? or maybe Jeff Davis County? The private companies aren’t what most would call affordable.

“Stop trying to live out of someone else’s back pocket”
              I look forward to meeting you someday. Please come to the next Peach Pundit Road Show.

• MSBassSinger says:

If you substitute pedophile, hebophile, or ephibophile for homosexual in the argument (not saying all homosexuals are pedophiles), then you would not agree with the argument. So there is a level of depravity at which you would agree with Christian principles and enforce it in law.

Thus, you agree in principle but only disagree in degree.

Harvey Milk and Matthew Sheperd were not killed by Christians, or anyone using Christian principles to support their violence. Such violence, unlike in Islam, humanism, socialism, or communism, is clearly opposed in Christian doctrine.

Paratransit is a federal requirment under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any government or private transit company. If there are any transit companies that are not ADA compliant, then report them.

So, still waiting – any real examples?

Master Servant Bass Singer:

“Of course, how many people say they can’t pay for the trip to the dialysis unit or other necessary trips but can pay for the big screen TV, booze and cigarettes, etc., or have relatives who should be held responsible for them.”

I spend a lot of my free time advocating for access for those who are disabled. Have not met one that fits your uncharacteristically crass description above.

Most folks I have met are like you and me, not perfect (speaking only for me) and have a disability. They cannot get to the Doctor. If it were as easy as calling somebody, don’t you think I would have done that?

• MSBassSinger says:

I am like you in that I am not perfect. Confident to a fault, but not perfect.

Are you telling me there is not one Christian church in Houston County that you can call to help you find a ride?

Houston County is one of the few Georgia counties without a county transit authority (http://www.apta.com/resources/links/unitedstates/Pages/GeorgiaTransitLinks.aspx#A81). Of course, Houston County is a backwards cess pool in a lot of ways. 🙂

I have spent a lot of time over the years volunteering to help the poor. I find a lot of them are good, decent people that we Christians are called to help while being sensitive to their dignity. I also found a lot of them suffered as a consequence of their own bad choices. For some of those, those bad choices were in the past, they learned from them, and still needed help, and deserved it. It is the smaller number of people who continue to dig their own holes that I have a hard time feeling sorry for. When I walk into a project apartment, and the baby sleeps on blankets in a cardboard box, but they have cable, a 52″ LCD TV, and other noticeably expensive non-essentials, I see a problem of their own making. When I see parents who water down the baby’s formula or a child’s milk (or don’t even give them milk), so they can afford the beer in the refrigerator and the cigarettes on the table, I get angry. And telling child services (run by liberals) does nothing. I’ve tried.

I am all for helping my neighbor who needs help. There is little beyond life-and-death needs I can do to help those who are still making bad choices. I tell you this so you understand where I am coming from. I am against enabling bad behavior, and all for helping those who need it, and helping with the life-and-death essentials for any in need, deserving or not.

I would be truly surprised if there is not a Christian church of some kind in Houston County who would not help you get where you need to go. And if you tell me there is not, I’ll bet I can find one who will.

• MSBassSinger says:

“Stop trying to live out of someone else’s back pocket” was not aimed at you personally, but to those who expect the whole state to be taxed for something only metro Atlanta wants and benefits from.

Some $47 million ding-dong trolley in Atlanta does not in any way benefit the state or nation. Same principle.

• B Balz says:

Ummm, let’s start with The Inquisition for no apparent reason. Then slide either forward or backward along the line of recorded history. Once you brand religion as Christian, Hebrew, Islam the history of killing, I mean serious killing, begins.

More people have been killed or maimed in the competition over whose G’d is ‘more better’ than in any other human endeavor.

Religious wars are one of the strangest components of humanity.

• MSBassSinger says:

What does the Inquisition have to do with Christianity? In every instance of violence in history where the name of Christ is invoked, the organization had to act in clear violation of Christian doctrine, and thus became a form of antiChrist.

I am not, and have never, discussed any religious institution as the source of Christian principles. Christian principles are defined in Scripture, in the context of the whole. I don’t care if it is the Catholic Church or the Southern Baptist Convention. Wrong is wrong, and right is right, and no human institution gets the define with authority what they are.

The violence you write about is always the result of some deviation from Christian principles. It is not a deviation from Islamic holy writings to kill non-believers. It is not a deviation from humanism, socialism, or communism to kill those who do not submit. Almost 2,000 years of Christian martyrs can testify to that.

Comign back to the original premise and in staying within the range of this PP post, voting for Carol Porter is voting for your standard, run-of-the-mill liberal, big government politician. If that is what you want, by all means vote for her.

• B Balz says:

I cannot support Ms. Porter, this go ’round.

As to the rest of it – You are right, this is not the venue.

• kyleinatl says:

Agreed, we could run this argument into the ground. Not worthwhile and will cause me to lose more of my beautiful hair 🙂 (via tearing out, not male-pattern baldness…not yet anyway)

• Clint says:

MS you really are uninformed aren’t you? Pretty much every educated person knows the correlation between early childhood education and crime, let alone education in general.

• Progressive Dem says:

MSBS. You are one of the most misinformed persons in cyberspace. (a) Water supply is in fact controled by local water authorities In Georgia, and they could tap underground supplies if such supplies actually existed. Most of north Georgia, particuarly metro Atlanta sits on top of massive amounts of granite (see Stone Mountain) and there is no significant supply of water from acquifers in those areas. Perhaps you’ve heard of the lawsuits with Alabama and Florida? Do you think the state of Georgia is going to ignore a readily available supply of water? If there was an availble source, Judge Magnuson’s order would not be significant. The Governor convened a large group of experts (8 engineering companies) and they conducted a cost/benefit analysis of every conceivable alternative. http://www.georgia.gov/00/channel_modifieddate/0,2096,78006749_154453222,00.html You are flat wrong on this issue, but I’m sure you’ll just double down. (b) Georgia doesn’t have teacher unions. There is no collective bargaining. Roy Barnes told the teachers they were going to be held accountable and removed tenure. That’s an example of standing up to the teachers. Sonny caved. (c) People that drive their own cars are subsidized, too. When you arrive at work or to a store, who pays for that parking space? 95% of the time you park a car away from home, that parking space was subsidized. Another example of the subsidies for drivers is the fact that Georgia is billions of dollars short from being able to maintain and build a highway system. Sonny Perdue (R) just borrowed billions for his Fast Forward program. We didn’t have the revenues to pay for those projects from gas tax receipts; we borrowed. Roads and bridges don’t pay for themslves, unless you toll them.

10. jeff says:

Charlie, can you explain to me how the elimination of the homestead exemption grant was a tax increase for property owners?

First let me point out that property owners’ taxes didn’t actually go up. The only change is the fact that they are paying their entire tax bill now instead of the state government paying part of it for them. The Homeowner’s Tax Relief Grant cost the state about $500 million a year. Over the last couple of years the state has experienced historic drops in revenue. State employees have been laid off or furloughed. Teacher positions have been cut or furloughed and the State Education budget has been drastically trimmed. Many state agencies and programs have been closed or experienced drastic decreases in funding. In your opinion the State of Georgia should have continued to send Grant money to all county and city governments in the state to pay a portion of everybody’s property tax?

I have seen this argument used to attack many people running for office this year and it really disturbs me how little people know about what the Homeowner’s Tax Relief Grant actually was. It was put into effect when the State had record high revenues and was a way to give back to the people of the state. Now that the state doesn’t have enough money to fund it people are mad because they feel like they are entitled to have the state pay part of their property taxes. It has become another government entitlement program.

I don’t think people who are angry about the elimination of this grant actually understand that none of that “extra” money you will pay on your property taxes this year goes to the state. Property taxes go to County and City governments and the State government has absolutely no power over property taxes.

What bothers me is that those that are getting bashed for eliminating this grant are the same ones who passed a property tax assessment freeze twice over the last couple of years. This kept city and county governments from raising appraisal values on properties during this recession. Some counties and city governments were raising property values as a back door way to get more tax money even though actual property values were falling faster than ever. So these guys who are getting bashed for this grant actually saved many property owners from over zealous city and county governments.

Also when the grant was eliminated, all parties agreed that as soon as state revenues were back to normal the grant would once again be in effect. They didn’t eliminate it for good. They just suspended it. But then again I guess they could have fired a few more people or cut a few more services in order to keep that $500 million dollar a year grant in the budget.

FYI – Politifact Georgia recently looked into the elimination of Homeowner’s Tax Relief Grant and the fact that some were calling it a tax increase. This was part of a larger article concerning Casey Cagle. Politifact found that the elimination of the Homeowner’s Tax Relief Grant was in fact NOT a tax increase.

• Southern_Clarion says:

If allowing the homeowner tax relief grant to expire isn’t a tax increase, then neither is the expiration of the Bush tax cuts. Republicans can’t have it both ways.

• jeff says:

Ok not even close to being the same thing…..If the Bush tax cuts expire who gets the extra tax money that is paid in? The Federal Government. Also these were tax cuts. The taxes actually went down and are set to go back up.

The other is a GRANT. Who gets the extra tax money paid in? No one. There is no extra tax money. The county and city governments are getting paid the same tax money they got last year. The only difference is you are paying 100% of your property tax instead of 70% while the state pays the other 30% for you. The taxes never went up or went down. The state was paying a portion of all property taxes by GRANTING money directly to county and city governments. Look at your bill from two years ago and you will see total tax – credit from state=what you actually paid. Look at this year’s bill and you will see total tax is the same only you have to pay the whole thing now.

There is a huge difference between Bush TAX CUTS and Homeowner’s Tax Relief GRANT. If these guys who keep getting attacked really wanted to raise taxes why wouldn’t they raise taxes on something that the state would actually get money from?

• Southern_Clarion says:

You’re just parsing words. They are called different things, but have the same results. The Bush tax cuts were just grants that had a better sounding name. Neither the “Bush Tax Cuts” or the Homeowner Tax Relief Grant are permanent, the cost of both was offset by the government (BTC gave you a check back and the HTRG took money off your bill), and ending both will see an increased bill for the tax payer. Difference is that the state choose to end the HTRG because they didn’t think they could afford it anymore and no one wants to repeal the BTC despite not being able to afford it. If we’re going to end all this deficit spending, we need to shut down all the bad/mismanaged programs, but we also need to manage our revenue source better and quit making so many loopholes and across the board tax cuts.

11. Three Jack says:

thanks charlie, great post!

i contacted the porter campaign last week trying to get an event schedule so that i may have an opportunity to meet her before i vote. i did not ask for a one-on-one breakfast (damn charlie, you must be somebody), just a chance to meet her at an open event. so far, no reply.

• Clint says:

For Goodness Sake, we need more people with legislative experience, the hell with a citizen legislature. Give me some more of those “experienced people” because that’s what our state and country needs.

Clint,

You, like others here are involved in the business of getting folks elected. Pol operatives, campaign managers, pollsters, etc. A few lawmakers post, probably many more read PP.

Based on your comments have a good understanding of the process of getting folks elected. Lawmaking, not so much.

I see ‘high school’ blind loyalty and perspective of why your candidate is best. I don’t see any perspective on how somebody without any experience is better than Sen. Cagle.

I do not share your enthusiasm for trying to elect someone who has NEVER authored a Bill in the House or Senate for the top seat. What kind of respect has that person earned?

Other than Dubose, who is going to help her on Day One? Will she end up following in the shoes of her husband, good or bad?

We are not talking about a job skill set learned in the private sector. A successful Pro Tem must have superior knowledge of extremely technical rules and procedures. Many here have heard Sen. Cagle command the Senate.

We may not agree on his politics, but he knows the rules and methods. He is effective at the task of getting Bills heard, pass or fail. That is not a rookie slot in some unimportant back office.

To suggest that someone who has never been in the House or Senate deserves the TOP seat is, in my opinion, both reckless and unsound judgment.

Plus, the 20 point trail in the polls make most of this moot.

• Charlie says:

I think if you’ve watched the number of gaffes Cagle has made from the well, you would realize that even 4 years OJT doesn’t help some people. He isn’t exactly God’s gift to Robert’s Rules.

I remember this one:

“And how much “experience” does Cagle need before he realizes re-typing a list of Governor’s appointments without Fred Cooper’s name on it is a violation of Senate Rules and possibly GA law?”

Not defending Sen. Cagle, but it could have been a scrivener’s error or intentional, we don’t know. Seemed fishy, but again, we don’t know. At best, it was dumb not to photocopy the list and re-submit. It is not the BIG reason to vote for someone else, IMHO.

Charlie, I have heard Sen. Cagle, as you may have, and I am unconvinced a layperson could do this job effectively. Experience is not always a bad thing, despite the rhetoric we are hearing at the National level.

@Clint ~gently~ Once you clear the buzzwords and pol rhetoric from your comments, you got ‘nuttin’ Honey.’

• So what you’re saying is that Carol Porter could devise the most brilliant, pro-growth tax policy the state has ever seen but if she doesn’t give the right person a hand job (figuratively…I hope) they would kick it aside on a technicality? Children.

It takes more brain power to do a sudoku puzzle than to figure out how a bill becomes a law. Anyone who went to college is plenty capable of understanding the process.

• B Balz says:

“Anyone who went to college is plenty capable of understanding the process.”

Each Session I learn new ‘tricks’, methods, procedures to either keep a Bill down or pass it. Clint, you cannot ‘google’ some things; some things are knowable only from being there.

As to your rudeness, whatever. You are a pol op, to be expected, ‘hand job (figuratively…)’ just nasty.

In your puerile example ‘The Pro Tem could come up with an absolutely brilliant, pro-growth tax policy’, but without ‘hard knocks’ experience, the House will steal it and make it their own. And will it be the same? NOPE.

You clearly have NO legislative understanding yet I find your polemics enchanting! Do go on!

• Sorry to offend.

I understand enough to know that it shouldn’t take “tricks” or back scratching to get good legislation passed. The process itself is very straightforward. If it requires anything extra, that only stands to reinforce the points I made above, re: Children.

• B Balz says:

No offense, nor am I trying to goad you. Lost on your reference to “children”, unless you mean ‘It’s OK, it’s for the children’?

“…shouldn’t take “tricks” or back scratching to get good legislation passed…” But it does.

One legislators ‘back scratch’ is another’s ‘negotiable’, and that is the nature of it. Give and take, generally speaking for the good of the people. Seriously.

Spend some time, not on the pol front, but on the legislative front and you’ll see what I mean. BTW, I am not defending the system by any stretch, it is what it is.

Yet, in general, it works well. Georgia, despite what you may have heard, is a pretty well run and efficient State, as compared to others.

The Pro Tem has to be an expert. You are parsing my words to make it sound like this is all nefarious and ‘smoky back room’ stuff. Mostly, it is not.

A successful Pro Tem must possess comprehensive knowledge of what works, who likes/dislikes something. Perhaps most importantly, who owes what to whom (FavorBank) and why. That institutional knowledge comes with experience.

Hope this helps, and again, not trying to offend in any way.

• My point in 3 points:

1.) The actual process of making a bill into a law is very straightforward.
                    2.) The only thing that blurs the lines are childish games, payoffs, and egos.
                    3.) We need leadership that’s above such as no.2.

• Doug Grammer says:

Compromise on issues that you don’t have a principled interest in is very much part of the art of crafting legislation. I am NOT saying compromise on principles, but keeping tabs of who owes whom a favor is part of the system.

12. Red Phillips says:

When I read this post two things came to mind – rationalization and lipstick on a pig. If you aren’t voting for Cagle, you should caste a protest vote for the Libertarian. There was a time when honest conservatives could be found in the Democrat party. That time has passed. If Carol Porter is a Democrat she is a Democrat for a reason. Did she vote for Obama?

13. NoTeabagging says:

What qualifies as legislative experience? Knowing how to create false attack ads, lie about opposing parties bills, know where to take lobbyist to lunch, what special interest gives the most in campaign contributions, who will give you the best sports tickets, know where to buy land near the next big highway, promise citizens you’ll never raise taxes, have strong views on social and moral issues that you will never have to vote on, etc.

14. Georgia Judge says:

Porter is a Liberal Dem just like her husband and Cagle is a rock solid Conservative Republican and thats the facts all this other puff about Porter is dribble.Porter and Porter running was a gimmick and it was seen as such by logical thinking people,and thus you see that she has zero traction and will get beat soundly for several reasons not just the fact that she has no experience.

You know there is not alot to complain about Cagle when the discussion drifts to,well Porter would have made sure Cooper’s name was on a Board Appointment list…yada yada….

15. Melb says:

Carol Porter is an Ethical Conservative Democrat who could get enough crossover votes could win in November. Cagle is the general election Oxendine that is only going to slide further down in the polls the more information about him and his office is exposed.

• B Balz says:

I have my popcorn at the ready, tick-tock.

Seriously, Melb are we ever going to see the oft promised, ‘other shoe’ drop? Unless it breaks before Friday, the news cycle will be lost… Even then, it takes awhile for messaging to sink in.

• polisavvy says:

If there is anything out there, today or tomorrow would be the day. I agree with you about Friday. Most folk will be watching football Saturday and Sunday and won’t tune back in until Monday. The election is Tuesday. So, IF there is anything it seems like it would be thrown out there in the next day or so.

16. Georgia Judge says:

The only shoe to drop(actually a hob nailed boot) is the one that is going to kick the Dems out of Georgia Politics for a longgggg time come Tuesday night and Porter and Barnes will be leading the way……… Cagle wins big!!!!!

17. Georgia Judge says:

Melb,
    Well yes if Republicans wanted an inexperienced Liberal Dem instead of a very popular Conservative Republican Lt.Gov she could win.The only problem is we dont and she won’t and ALOT of Republicans like Cagle……Cagle wins big!!!

18. Georgia Judge says:

LT,
    You are without doubt the most shallow minded person on this blog.Have another drink and keep wishing.