If You Live in Carroll County, Georgia

They’re all terrible. All of them. Republicans and Democrats — the leaders of both parties, they are all terrible.

It’s not just the start of my book, it is the truth. And Republicans and Democrats have together, across the country, ganged up against the tea party movement to shut them down

One of the great recent examples is Carroll County, Georgia. Many of you met Jim Watters at the RedState Gathering.

Jim is the leader of the Carroll County Tea Party. He is running for the Carroll County Commission. He was running as an independent until the Republicans and Democrats ganged up on him and has his ballot access petition rejected for a number of frivolous reasons.

One of those reasons was, for example, that my mother-in-law signed Jim’s petition for ballot access and did not put her middle initial down, but she had signed her voter registration card decades ago with her middle initial.

Another was that Jim wrote “Carroll County” down in the “County” field for each signature. Since Jim did it and not the actual signer, those signatures were thrown out.

So now Jim is running as a write-in candidate. And the Republicans and Democrats are both scared to death. They have run hit jobs on him in the local paper because Jim was smart enough to get a qualified electric vehicle under the stimulus plan and they didn’t. It’s a pretty sweet ride too.

Jim may just pull this off on November 2nd. I hope he does.

Across the county we are seeing this happen. Win or lose, tea party activists are going to have to stick together because the leadership of both parties is making it very clear that they hope to keep ignoring us whatever happens on November 2nd.

1. Charlie says:

This is the county that gives us Mark “I’ll shut down the University because you fired my girlfriend” Butler, and Tim “You paid me $100,000 of extra taxpayers money but I can’t and won’t tell you why” Bearden, correct?

2. Three Jack says:

erick, i agree with you regarding both parties. considering your statements above, how is it that you are supporting deal for governor? he represents all that is wrong with the gop.

• brettbittner says:

It only matters when it affects the GOP, career politician or not. If you have the “R” next to your name, you matter. If you don’t have that, you don’t matter.

3. bluedogdem says:

WOW!!! Poor poor Erick. Maybe now he knows how it feels to be Libertarian or Independent in the State of Georgia. Seems funny that Erick never was this upset when the Libertarian was thrown the ballot for State Senate race earlier this year because of the same thing. Oh I forgot it only matters when its a GOPer or Democrat.

4. brettbittner says:

Awwww…. Poor Erick! Not only did his candidate not make it on the ballot, but he’s getting senile. Or maybe it’s just that he forgot the struggle for ballot access for ALL Georgians who are not R’s & D’s.

I guess it’s not really important until someone you like or support is tossed off the ballot. I don’t recall any stories about Brad Ploeger being removed from the ballot back in July when the same fine-toothed comb was applied to his ballot signatures.

I don’t recall seeing a single post on PP from ANY of the front-page posters (except possibly Jason) about the FOUR ballot access bills that were shut down during the last session. So much for a belief in competition…

5. darkop says:

There are some Republican supporters of Jim’s opponent that may be taking jabs at Jim, but not all Republicans. I believe most would like to see Jim in there. It is unfortunate that there was some misunderstanding about the way the petitions were completed, but rules are rules.

Go Jim!!!

6. Samuel says:

Erick, your cousin Jim Watters may be a nice guy BUT, we have absolutely no reason to vote for him as our District Commissioner because we have an excellent conservative small-businessman who also is a Republican and is happily married to a beautiful women with beautiful small children. Try saying that about other Republicans. Our incumbent Commissioner, Mr. John Wilson has worked diligently these past 4 years to lower Carroll County’s budget from $53mm down to $45mm (due to declining county tax digest revenues) while maintaining all county services and not raising our millage rate one penny and not laying off a single county employee. Show me another Georgia County of our size (110,000+) that can even make that claim! Mr. John Wilson is the epitome of what a conservative Republican public servant should be! Carroll County is blessed to have the services of Mr. John Wilson! Unfortunately, your cousin, Jim Watters picked the wrong race and the wrong candidate in the wrong year to oppose. Better luck hunting in 4 years! We are happy with our incumbent Carroll County Commissioner, Mr. John Wilson!

• GA_Patriot2010 says:

Samuel,
      Was that a paid advertisement for your cousin John Wilson? You seem mighty close to the campaign…. like you may have some skin in the game yourself. humm….

7. Lugner says:

I apologize and correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Bill Williamson was the chair of the Carroll County Tea Party.