Barnes Channels Dan Rather, Says Ad Fake But Accurate.

The Hull Man catches up with the erstwhile Governor and discusses doctored audio that Barnes used in an ad.

HULLINGER: But I’ve seen the video of the event, and they weren’t asking that question – it was the phony reporters.

BARNES: You never asked why he used his influence for the road? Why he used his influence – there are all the questions that are being asked that he continues to duck. So I think it’s a legitimate statement.

SECOND REPORTER: I was there – those questions were not asked that day. Why did those questions – why were they added in to that?

BARNES: Because they were questions that were regularly being asked that were not being answered. As I understand it, it was a mixture of both questions. I think the “why are you running, why are you hiding, why are you not talking” – those were all as a part of that. The question is, why won’t he stand up and answer these questions? If you have nothing to hide, then you should be able to stand up and answer the questions, just as I’m doing right now. But the problem that he has is, he won’t answer anything; he will not answer anything. And to demonstrate how he runs from every question was what the purpose was.

HULLINGER: But that’s clearly a distortion of–

BARNES: It is not a distortion–

HULLINGER: But it didn’t happen as it is shown to have happened.

BARNES: It certainly did happen as it was shown-

Video of Jon Shirek’s original report below the fold.

1. NoTeabagging says:

Anyone watching the footage would have a reasonable expectation that the video and audio were exactly as it was recorded. Any defense by Barnes stating it was appropriate to add the additional voices is laughable, This is a major mistake for Barnes. The alteration was unnecessary because the original footage was sufficient.

2. Jeff says:

Anyone got a copy of this ad online? I’d like to see it, but apparently it is only running in ATL and I can’t find it online yet.

3. NoTeabagging says:

You know how folks post videos on youtube of their cute pets with human voiceovers? I’d love to see many “remixes” of the Deal ad (or any campaign ad) with multiple voiceover changes posted. Wouldn’t that be fun?

• polisavvy says:

I would enjoy seeing “remixes” of a whole bunch of ads from a whole bunch of candidates. Would have a certain entertainment value, that’s for sure.

• Charlie says:

I want to see the Ox V. Rat YouTube one more time. This time, I also want to get to play laser tag and drink Mountain Dew like the real media were invited to do, as well.

• polisavvy says:

That would be hysterical! I loved the Rat video. Very funny stuff; however, wouldn’t it be far more enjoyable to mix alcohol with the viewing? Me thinks it would!! 😉

• polisavvy says:

Yes, we have met; but, not in a setting where alcohol was served (frowned upon in the lobby of the Gold Dome in the mornings (I think)). I just usually find humorous things even more so when alcohol figures into the equation.