Marshall on why he’s keeping Pelosi’s $46K: “It helped me stay in Congress.”

Script:

KELLY: I want to ask you this, because your opponent has apparently said that he is going to call for you – given your position – to return the $46,000 that Pelosi and her political action committee has given to you. Given this position and this ad, I want to give you the chance to respond to that, sir.

MARSHALL: I don’t know how much money over the years Speaker Pelosi has contributed to my campaigns – it’s a substantial amount of money and I won’t challenge that total – but that’s all in the past. I’ve not taken any money from Speaker Pelosi during the current cycle, and none of the money I have in my campaign account has come from Speaker Pelosi, so I don’t really have any of that money to return. I’m thankful she contributed to me in the past, it helped me stay in Congress. I’m a centrist, I’m an American. Basically, Americans should want more people in Congress like me, and I appreciate Speaker Pelosi helping me stay here.

1. analogkid says:

Don’t get me wrong. I want Austin Scott to win, but calling on Marshall to return donations from previous cycles back to Pelosi makes about as much sense as Marshall calling on Scott to return any campaign contributions he ever received from Glenn Richardson.

• reasonable says:

This. If it’s money from previous cycles, it’s likely been spent. You can’t return money you don’t have.

• Doug Grammer says:

He probably has 46K COH. According to your logic, no one would have to pay back any loan because THAT money has already been spent and you can’t give back what you don’t have.

• polisavvy says:

Agreed. Though Marshall’s fund raising numbers aren’t matching those of Austin Scott, he could send her money back (and Rangel’s for that matter). He has enough to do both; however, it’s not going to happen. The old “if it’s already been spent” concept doesn’t carry any water. BTW, heard you and your group did a fantastic job this weekend in the 8th.

2. polisavvy says:

I think the most interesting part of the interview was when she (Megan) asked him twice if he thought that Pelosi was a good speaker. He chose to ignore that question. He’s done nothing but take a page from Pelosi’s page book when she gave an interview a week or so back wherein she said that she wanted the Democrats to do whatever they needed in order to win. I guess that means ignoring direct questions, alleging that he would not support her, etc. I wish she had been better prepared and would have asked him about why he has not committed to the repealing of the health care bill that he said he voted against. He can’t have it both ways. He either wants the bill to remain or he doesn’t. Those of us in the 8th would like to know the answer to that one. We deserve to know the answer to that one.

• polisavvy says:

As an aside, I wish she had inquired of the money he has received from the illustrious Mr. Rangel, too. I’d love to hear his response to that one.

• kyleinatl says:

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a worse interviewer than Megyn Kelly, everything is an accusation and finger-pointing with little to no facts to back her up. Only the idiots on “Fox and Friends” hit a lower low.

• polisavvy says:

Actually, I was surprised that she was not better prepared for her interview with him. I find that she usually does a much better job than the one she did on Friday. She’s not the worse I have ever seen, that’s for sure. Put it this way, I’d rather listen to her than Olbermann or Matthews — they are both too busy splitting and slobbering to be taken seriously. Maddow does a better job than either of them. I also think Anderson Cooper does a good job.

• Kyle,

Megyn Kelly is much better than the networks and most of the people on CNN or Jamie Colby on Fox, who all seem to be quite ready to accept anything Dems say without asking questions.

3. kolt473 says:

Despite what Marshall says about opposing Dopeo, plus the fact he says he wont vote to reconfirm her to speaker, he’s allegedly lying, she owns him when he accepted her money, if he opposes her god help him.

4. Marshall has said he won’t vote for Pelosi, BUT is that just in the Democrat caucus? If Marshall wins and his choices are Pelosi and Boehner, does anyone think he’ll vote for Boehner? Marshall always couches his words carefully.

As an aside, did he throw Ike Skelton under the bus when he said he’d support him over Pelosi?

5. kolt473 says:

if Repubs captures the house, then it will be moot if BOEHNER, elected speaker hes going to have to do things by the book, because the left wing will harass him through CREWS, innuendo, false hood in the lib mindset they will do a GEORGE FOREMAN ”WE WUZZ ROBBED.”