1. Publius says:

Jim may be doing what it takes to get re-elected, but Nancy has thrown Jim and other Blue Dogs under the bus for four years, and especially in the last session. The Blue Dogs have not been listened to by Speaker Pelosi (as evidenced by Healthcare). Jim works reasonably well with the Republican leadership, because he’s a centrist, but his own Democratic leaders want little to do with him. I do blame Marshall for being too idealist in believing Nancy would work with his Blue Dog caucus, although I can’t fault him too much for doing what every Republican will do (vote Boehner) when they take the House.

• Publius,

Jim Marshall has been bragging about two accomplishments lately. First he bragged about the bill he wrote to make it more difficult for illegal aliens to get jobs. Second, he is now bragging about how well he works both sides of the aisle. These two issues; however, converge in a way that is not flattering to Marshall.

If Marshall is so proud of his bill – he refers to it in commercials – and if he works so well with both Democrats and Republicans, why does it only have four co-sponsors out of the remaining 434 congressmen? That’s less than one percent support.

Marshall greatly exaggerates his influence among his own party and certainly among the GOP House members.

2. polisavvy says:

Marshall’s just trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the voters of the 8th. I hope people are paying attention to comments like this. He’s at a point where he is going to say (and obviously do) anything to try to get re-elected. As a voter in the 8th, I’m not fooled by him. Something tells me that I’m not the only person who feels this way. What’s the old saying: “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.” Pay attention voters of the 8th.

3. slyram says:

Simply ask Rep. Marshall if he voted for Obama or McCain in 2008. If he says McCain, half of his Dem base would skip this race on the ballot. If he says Obama, most of his conservative supporters would do the same. The national Democrat efforts could then be used to help real Democrats.

• polisavvy says:

I think we all know the answer to that question. My guess is that since early voting has been pretty good that there is going to be a pretty good turn out in 16 days. (Oh my gosh, only 16 more days — that’s hard to believe).

4. Steve says:

I don’t fully understand the “Pelosi-as-boogeyman” thing that gets people so fired up. I mean… I understand being Republican, and being opposed to national Democratic leaders. I just don’t understand what you guys honestly expect Marshall to do.

If any member of the Blue Dog Coalition were put forth as Speaker, they would be the boogeyman… because they’re a Democrat. If Sam Nunn or even Zell Miller somehow became Speaker, they would be the boogeyman if they kept the ‘D’ beside their name. So yeah, Nancy Pelosi of San Francisco is going to be the boogeyman.

However, it’s unrealistic to the point of being disingenuous to expect a Congressman (of either party) to vote against the party’s Speaker nominee. By the time a party has selected its nominee, the actual vote for that nominee to the Speaker position is essentially ceremonial… and regardless of your philosophy, backing the party on procedural and ceremonial votes is simply part of being in a political party. On the Republican side, Ron Paul has voted for some steaming turds in his time… and not even the super-crazies give him much flak for it.

Basically, a “bad” Democrat is “one who votes on anything backed by the Democratic Party”. That’s all fine and well, but just be up-front and honest about the partisanship. Don’t try to B.S. people as if there were any scenario in which you’d find a Democrat acceptable anyway.

5. Doug Grammer says:

If Hank Johnson were speaker, DC might tip over. What Republicans would like Congressman Marshall to do is to fold up his tent, say it’s time for new Representation and announce his support for Austin Scott. Anyone the Dems put up for speaker would probably have policies that I wouldn’t care for. If I had to pick a Dem, I’d probably go with Heath Schuler of N.C. However, he doesn’t have enough seniority to be considered.