1. Andre says:

Well, I guess I’ll get this open thread rolling by talking about the robo call I received from Barack Obama Sunday afternoon.

My favorite part of the message is, “I need you to help elect good Democratic allies in Georgia who will work with me to create jobs.”

Somehow I get the feeling that the RGA may use the sentence in its narrative that Roy Barnes will be a rubber stamp for Obama.

Any thoughts?

• Ron Daniels says:

Replace all the water with pinecone liquor.

I watch Squidbillies. I am sad to report.

Actually, I’d just make more problems. Like steal hogs and send them up North. The usual.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Oh that’s easy. Build the Northern Arc or a 2nd perimeter and either extend MARTA or build a light rail system.

• ZazaPachulia says:

I like where you’re going LIMH, but how do you fund that?

I would rewrite the Georgia tax code first — that’s already being done by the commission touring around the state… It will be interesting to see what they come back with. However, we’re not going to be building any Northern Arc or MARTA extensions with the current tax code. Having $10k as the top income tax bracket is ludicrous and it shifts far too much of the state tax burden on the middle class and working poor. If we’re going to have income tax in this state, it needs to be fair (although I’m not opposed with doing away with state income tax a la Florida if it’s done right). Sales taxes (gasoline, extra penny in the 10-county ARC) may be the answer for MARTA and Northern Arc projects…

• Doug Grammer says:

The two open records requests could be entitled “in search of truth to rumors.” It’s a fishing expedition. No more, no less.

• polisavvy says:

I’m not so sure that if there is anything to any of this that we would necessarily know by now. There’s nothing like springing some garbage on someone with less than a week to go — there’s no time for damage control. That’s why it’s called an “October surprise.” Remember all the news when it was reported that Bush had had a DUI? That was about a week before the election. He was able to weather it; but, it had to have taken him off his game a little, don’t you think?

2. bowersville says:

I will not vote for Mark Butler in the labor commissioner’s race. The reasons why are discussed on Blog for Democracy which reference two articles on Peach Pundit and a WSBTV report. I recall the debate on Peach Pundit when it occurred so my opinion was formed long before I read BfD. Watching the debate didn’t change my mind either.

Does anyone have a solid reason not to vote for Daryl Hicks? He’s a Democrat won’t cut it with me.

• ZazaPachulia says:

I’m right there with you, Bowersville. I’ve been saying since the primary that I will be voting for three Dems (and maybe the guy running against Echols) this November: Barnes, Porter and Hicks. If you really care about ethics, good government and holding those in power accountable, you can’t vote for corrupt politicians based on party affiliation alone.

If I were a Democrat, I would cross over to vote against Ken Hodges for the same reasons.

I hope other Republicans join us in crossing over for Hicks.

• polisavvy says:

I don’t know about the rest of you guys; but, to be quite honest, I’m sick and tired of all this fabricated garbage that is being touted by several candidates. It’s one thing when you accuse someone of having an affair — it’s an entirely different matter when you accuse someone of murder. Those responsible for this type of ad should face serious repercussions. I also don’t know about the rest of you or not; but, I’d have to strongly consider a lawsuit. I’m not a big believer in frivolous lawsuits; however, in this case, it is more than justified. I truly hate this for Jason.

• DTK says:

I don’t know what’s worse, the mail piece accusing Shepherd of attempted murder or the fact that Shepherd is using it as a way to raise money.

• Yep, I looked up the road in question on Google Maps. Short little road… no “residents” as some other posters have claimed… it’s just an industrial area with a few businesses and a short road that runs a short distance between their property lines. Glad the county denied the request.

3. chefdavid says:

Deal made a walk through of the new Dade County Courts Facility this afternoon. He was escorted by Sen. Jeff Mullis, Commisioners Rumley, Pitman, Goff ( all republicans). The Dade County Republican Party gave deal a check for $1000 when they saw him today. Several out of county people attended wanting to ask questions but, Mr. Deal had to get off quickly to an event in South GA. The courts facility has not been released from the contractor yet.
    Roy Barnes has yet to make a stop in Dade. Wonder if they will give Barnes or Monds such a walk through if they decide to come to Dade in the future before the election?

• polisavvy says:

What a sick individual that guy was! He’s as bad as the dude who was caught doing it with horses a few months back in Newton County. What makes someone do something like that? I do take offense to your insinuation that he was a UGA fan, though. That’s a little much regardless of whatever team you are fan. Not humorous.