Why I’m for Roy Barnes

First things first.  I am a Democrat and I almost always support the Democratic candidate.  I know most of the readers of this site are Republicans and do likewise.  That’s what parties are for and in most races, people don’t know a lot about the candidates running and the fact that they share an allegiance to one party or another is what guides their vote.

But I wasn’t always a Democrat.  When I graduated from high school in 1998, I made two youthful mistakes.  The first one was attending Georgia Tech (let’s just say that I didn’t last too long there, wasn’t the right place for my 18 year old self to be).  The second was signing up for the College Republican email listserv.

Like a lot of white kids from the ‘burbs, I pretty much followed the lead of my parents and friends’ parents and considered myself a moderate Republican.  That summer I voted in the Republican primary for Mike Bowers on my dad’s advice.  He had dealt in a business setting with Guy Millner and wasn’t a fan.  That November, I voted straight ticket for the Republicans running including Sen. Paul Coverdell.  I didn’t know a lot about Roy Barnes, but following up on my dad’s advice from the primary about Millner, I voted for Roy that year.  I think for a lot of Georgians, Roy Barnes in 1998 was the last vote they cast for a Democrat.  But for me it was my first.

As the years went on and I was maturing politically, I became increasingly turned off by the Republican party.  They were obsessed with impeaching a President I thought was doing a good job, even though I hadn’t supported him.  As a 12 year old I was an ethusiastic Perot “man”, as a 16 year old girls and cars seemed more important than the Presidential race.  And not only was the impeachment turning me off, but the emails from the College Republicans had so little substance, they were mostly about protesting some Clinton cabinet official who happened to be landing at PDK that day.  When the 2000 Presidential election rolled around, I was all for John McCain (at least the 2000 version).  I thought George W. Bush was unprincipled and undeserving of the Presidency, and when I saw how the party establishment lined up behind him and how poorly McCain did in Georgia it finally clicked that the Republican Party of Georgia really didn’t have a home for people like me.

So as a 20 year old that was increasingly more and more into politics, I started looking to the state level.  I have to confess, I once had to look up whether Barnes was a Democrat or a Republican, since he seemed to me like a pretty conservative guy who didn’t really ruffle too many feathers and I just wasn’t sure.  But the more I learned about him, the more I liked him.  He was trying, not always successfully, but at least trying to tackle the problems that Georgia had.  Problems like education, transportation, modernization.  In other words, the problems I cared about.  And he seemed like a pretty smart guy.  It’s a shame that in politics being smart is sometimes looked down upon, but it’s a trait that I personally value.

In 2002, I started working as a legislative intern and learned more than I could ever imagine about state government.  It was after Roy had changed the flag, a move I strongly supported, and the Republicans could smell blood.  They were taking what I thought were unprincipled stands if it meant political gain.  Ideas they used to champion (such as eliminating teacher tenure) became opposition rallying cries once they passed through Roy Barnes’s lips.  I was disgusted.  As a naive 22 year old, I ran for State Rep in Dunwoody as a proud “Roy Barnes Democrat.”  I was trounced, but the bigger disapointment on election night was that Roy Barnes, a conservative Democrat with principles had been upset by Sonny Perdue, a pretend Republican with none.  I was devastated by that.

Fast forward to 2010.  I’ve gone from a Democratic activist to a party operative to a campaign consultant.  I do work for Roy’s campaign, and over the years I’ve gotten to know him on a first name basis.  The 22 year old version of myself that was excited just to be in the same room as a state senator would probably faint if I told him that not only was Roy running for another term and had a chance to win, but that I was playing an integral part in his campaign and was even one of his trusted advisers these days.

And do you know what I’d tell the 22 year old version of myself?  I’d say, “You were right about Roy Barnes.”  Not only is he one of the smartest politicians I’ve ever had the chance to know, but everything I believed back then is true.  He’s a principled man who cares deeply about the state of Georgia and wants to see the parts of our state government that don’t work well improved while preserving the great things about our state that make living here so wonderful.

He’s also a dedicated family man, and that extends from his personal life to his business.  Roy takes care of the people that take care of him, always has and always will.  His is business partners with his daughter and her husband, and together they’ve built a successful law practice that also has a nursery in the basement for their children and grandchildren.  Every day, Roy makes sure to visit with his grandchildren, and when I think about how overworked I am during election season and how little time I have, it’s a valuable reminder that when you start a family it’s important to make time for them, even when you’re running for something as important as Governor.

I’ve also gotten to know Roy’s other children, and they are all successful, honest and hard working adults.  The kind of people I want to have a beer with at the end of the workday.  Basically, he has raised exactly the kind of family that anyone my age will hope to have raised 30 years down the road from now.  I’ve always thought that the quality of one’s children speaks volumes about the quality of their parents.  And in the case of Roy, it’s one of the strongest arguments in his favor.

I believe if Roy Barnes is elected Governor, he is ready to work with the Republicans and Democrats in the legislature to get Georgia focused on common sense and bipartisan solutions to bring jobs, improve education, fix our transportation problems and finally get an answer to the water wars.  And here’s one more important thing I believe.  I believe that if Roy Barnes does NOT get elected Governor he will still have a full and rewarding life waiting for him.  He is not running for Governor to fill any void or to profit from the position.  He actually believes — and I agree — that Georgia has problems that need serious solutions and if elected he can work with others to seek them out.

As I’m often reminded on Peach Pundit by some of the other posters, Georgia is a Republican state and 2010 is a Republican year.  Sam Nunn and Zell Miller might even have a hard time getting elected here this November.  And like I said at the beginning of this post, I’ll almost always be for the Democrat in any race and any year.  But I hope my fellow readers here on Peach Pundit and out in the rest of Georgia will really think and pray and that if they do, they can put party aside if need be and join me in supporting my friend Roy Barnes.  He is someone who will put every ounce of energy into getting our state back on the right track over the next four years.  And he’s ready to get started on Day 1.

I wish every voter in the state could meet Roy Barnes and get to know him as well as I have over these last ten years, but until then, I’m asking you to take my word on it.  He’s the best man for the job of Governor this year.

1. fishtail says:

Damn good comments, Chris. Your sincerity cannot be faked. I am definitely for Roy Barnes this time, too.

• girlygrrll says:

Since your 8th grade writing must be from the heart, I feel bad telling you your an idiot. Now, we all know were the really bad scripts of the Bubbas talking bad about Nathan Deal originated.

Two other comments:

1. Lay off the Kool-Aid!

2. I’ll bet Al Capone raised at least one “nice kid.”

• B Balz says:

Somebody woke up with their ‘grumpy-wumpy’ face on….
        I mentioned statesmanship, and Mr. Huttman, who I am quite sure is capable of a vicious and scathing piece, chose to write something decent instead.

Sometimes people mistake diplomacy for weakness which is why we invented the Marine Corps.

• “Since your 8th grade writing must be from the heart, I feel bad telling you your an idiot.”

Don’t feel bad, because you apparently don’t even know the difference between “your” and “you’re”. You might want to check the difference between the two before calling someone else out on their writing.

2. jeffflynt says:

Your article was well written but you didnt give one supported fact other than your opinion, which by all things is very sincere. I will put it like this, i worked in government during Roy Barnes tenure, Roy is one of the smartest people i know, Roy is all about telling what Roy wants people to hear. I dont support him or Deal and i am writing in a name just to say i voted. Roy Barnes is a lawsuit happy person who is arrogant and thrives off insulting others. Furthermore i consider him a good close personal friend but i wouldn’t give an apple to the SOB.!! Good article. You maybe should consider running one day, very well written and heartfelt articles are nice to read this day and time. You are right, we have had some real idiots in the Republican party but we are allowed to vote in who we want right? Just dont see Roy the same way you do but that is the great thing about voting and freedom isnt it.!

• Maybe you’d care to share a story about why you’re for Deal other than “he’s the Republican”. Oh and would you care to point to me where in this post I referenced Obama? Or does the automatic Republican comment program you use just spew out Obama liberal Democrat at the click of a button?

• Bill30097 says:

I will note vote for Deal in the first round. I will vote Monds. If there is a runoff between Deal and Obama loving Barnes then I will vote Deal holding my nose.

• Clint says:

Additionally, Deal’s position and record on issue important to women is absolutely unconscionable.

• ZazaPachulia says:

“Bill why would you hold your nose and vote for someone so absent any moral compass and so guilty of self enrichment in public office?”

Ignorance or cynicism. Those are the only two possible answers.

3. DigitalViolation says:

Chris, it’s refreshing to see an opinion expressed about a candidate that’s actually about the candidate, and not a mass of derogatory comments about an opponent. While I respect your opinion, I can’t think of any reason I would vote for Barnes or any other Democrat. I’m more concerned with the person than the party to which he or she belongs, but I don’t think it’s possible to be an effective member of the Democratic party unless you hold the extremely liberal party line.

Aside from a large philosophical divide, I can’t accept what seems to be the Democrats’ standard way of doing business. A perfect example is health care reform. My objection isn’t so much the contents of the legislation as the manner in which it was rammed through so quickly, there wasn’t sufficient time for members of Congress to read and understand it. Clearly, the Democratic majority didn’t care about any type of discussion, bipartisan or otherwise. The intent was simply to ram THEIR bill through so it would be difficult or impossible to change.

I’m not particularly enamored with Nathan Deal, and I find it unfortunate that I find the mere thought of voting for a Democrat so repulsive. In my mind I simply have no choice other than to vote for Deal, the lesser of evils.

• AubieTurtle says:

I hope you’re a Libertarian or an independent because the Republicans have absolutely no room to be critical of the Democrats for pushing through legislation “quickly” or without getting input from the other party. To say different would only confirm the wearing of partisan colored glasses.

• Dave Bearse says:

SB31 was actually moved quite leisurely compared to the GOP eliminating state income taxation of rich senior’s retirement income. The $100M tax cut was proposed on the second to last day of the session in the Senate, and enacted less than 24 hours later after less than four hours in the House.

4. City Slicker says:

Thank you Chris. I, for one, certainly appreciate your candor and honesty. I am a 33 year old Democrat as well. I have been reading this Blog daily for about 4 years I guess-but only recently did I decide to register for a login. I’m glad I did. I’m learning a lot from this Blog about the processes that drive GOP voters’ logic and the articles aren’t bad.

Deal has no plans to lead Georgia further into the future. How could he? The man could not even save himself from bankruptcy-even after years of underhanded Washington deal-making and shenanigans. And yet he wants to control MY tax dollars? No thanks.

Deal is a waste of a vote. The excuses for him are drying up. One can’t help but feel like the man should be in jail somewhere because he’s a crook. Think what you choose about Obama, Dems or anything else but just remember this: Georgia is a great State. And a great State deserves a great governor. That is NOT Nathan Deal. By far. Our State should have a governor we can be proud of and one who is proud of us. That’s not Deal either.

I am thrilled that a possible Deal election may awaken the masses of non-voting, apathetic Democrats in this State who have been asleep at the polls and not taking advantage of their right to vote. As a Georgian, however, I am appalled that a man like Deal even has a chance to represent this beautiful State and her wonderful people. Surely we can do better than this and we should. Barnes is a good man with good ideas and he is willing to do the hard work-with honor. Give him the chance.

Vote Barnes!

• TheSituation says:

I’m pretty sure we gave him a chance. We liked him so much, we sent him packing after one term. Deal sucks, but I’d say lets give him the chance.

5. analogkid says:

Great post Chris.

This, for me, was the money quote: “I believe that if Roy Barnes does NOT get elected Governor he will still have a full and rewarding life waiting for him. ”

Barnes doesn’t need this job. In fact, it will be a huge pay cut for him. I believe he truly does just want to serve, and that is one of the many reasons I support him in this election.

6. Harry says:

All you Rinos and Demos on PP finally convinced me and probably others to vote a straight Republican ticket after all. With friends like you Barnes et al doesn’t need enemies.

• AubieTurtle says:

Please get over yourself. You were never going to vote for a Democrat. Pressing that button would burn your hyper partisan fingers. But go ahead and throw a temper tantrum because some Republicans aren’t as blindly partisan as you. Seriously, you’re “changing” your vote not because of anything to do with the candidates but because some of your fellow Republicans who you now call RINOs aren’t going to vote the way you demand that they do.

Go ahead, take your “oh I might possibly think about entertaining the idea of maybe kind of giving some thought to not automatically voting based on the letter next to someone’s name” ball and storm on home. No one believes your vote was ever going to be anything other than straight Republican. Oh, I forgot, you might press the Libertarian button once or twice to try to fool yourself about being an authoritarian control freak… but do keep in mind, the Libertarians not only are against your beloved prohibition, they’re also solidly in favor of Sunday alcohol sales. No Harry-taliban alcohol ban for the Libertarians. Sorry, no imposing your religiously based government on the masses if you vote (L).

You’re not punishing anyone here by voting for Deal. We all could see straight through into your partisan soul even if you’ve tried to fool yourself.

7. Doug Grammer says:

Chris,

Tell us about the part where Gov. Barnes kept a scorecard on every legislator and if you did not vote his way, he would punish their district by depriving them of funds needs for anything, schools, roads, hospitals….whatever. If you did not vote King Roy’s way, you felt his wraith. He was/is called King Roy for a reason.

• Three Jack says:

difference is the current leaders punish dissenters by removing them from key committee positions along with all the other things described by loyal doug.

• ZazaPachulia says:

“And this was different than certain recent leaders of the House and Senate how exactly?”

It’s not.

But Doug has said previously that he’s giddy about potentially having the Speaker, Gov. and Lt. Gov. represent his 9th C.D. What are the chances of Deal / Cagle / Ralston voting to “punish their [own] district by depriving them of funds needs for anything, schools, roads, hospitals….whatever.”

I will be voting for three Democrats in a couple of weeks: Barnes, Porter and Hicks. The rest of my ticket will be Republican. However, if I were Doug in the ninth, I’d be awfully tempted to give Deal and Cagle another look, despite their obvious flaws and proven penchant for corruption. If I could have the state’s most powerful offices represented by three individuals (two who have a track record of pork and favors) from my home town where I work and where I own land, I would probably be looking out for number one, so to speak. I really can’t blame Doug.

• Clint says:

Wait a minute, didn’t Speaker Richardson have a Hawk system that would swoop in without notice whenever Republican Committee members started going their own way on bills important to him.

And didn’t he banish Tom Graves and David Ralston out of the Capitol for speaking their minds and taking a stand?

But, this is expected when it comes to Doug. He’s a walking double standard.

• Clint,

I’ll be the first to admit that Glenn Richardson had no business being Speaker of the Georgia House. And while Richardson was openly a big admirer of Tom Murphy, he was never able to match Murphy’s intense hatred and vitriol for the other party. Glenn Richardson was unfit to be Speaker because he acted like a Democrat.

• Doug Grammer says:

I don’t have a double standard, as much as you may like for me to have one. I was not a fan of the Hawk system or of Glenn Richardson. When Glenn Richardson started acting like Tom Murphy, I helped pen and pass a resolution at the Ninth District GOP meeting condemning his actions. Once passed, we not only sent it to the legislature, and to media in the Ninth, but we sent as a press release in Speaker Richardson’s home county.

My original version was a little more spicy. An apology for the double standard comment is open to be accepted, or would you like to double down on that?

As I stated earlier in another thread, I like you as a person, but I don’t know you that well. Your actions and your words are helping better define yourself. That being said, you don’t know me that well either, and I don’t think you want to engage in a debate with me about MY character. It’s obvious you won’t debate issues for your chosen candidate that most Georgians care about. How many more 20 year old issues do you want to dig up, spin so that the facts of the issues aren’t relevant, (such as the proposed law strengthened rape shield laws, or that your candidate was on the EXACT same side on that issue) and just hunker down and throw mud?

I’m sure that when you were working for Sec. Handel, you never said anything derogatory of Gov. Barnes.

I also notice that you aren’t disagreeing with my assesment of KING ROY’s actions.

8. DigitalViolation says:

It never ceases to amuse me that whenever a criticism is leveled at a Democrat, the response is to bring up something that Republicans did– as if two wrongs make a right. It reminds me of a couple of elementary school kids arguing over who started a fight. Certainly, Republicans have their own issues, but the fact that Republicans haven’t done everything right, doesn’t ameliorate the wrongs perpetrated by the Democrats.

• AubieTurtle says:

Remove all references in your post to ‘Democrats’ and ‘Republicans’ and replace it with the word ‘partisans’ and you’ll be on to something. It’s funny to see one side complain endlessly about something but when they do it, they not only try to downplay their guilt but also play the “well your guys did it too so YOU’RE THE HYPOCRITE!” card.

Not that it’s much different than football fans arguing over whose team is the most thuggish and filled with criminals. People are inconsistent hypocrites. If you think that’s limited to one particular party, take a moment to look up ‘ironic’ in the dictionary.

• DigitalViolation says:

As I said, Republicans have issues as well, and maybe it’s my own myopia, but I see a lot more of “you did it too” mentality from Democrats. A lot of the noise comes from “true believers” as opposed to the politicians themselves, which is to be expected; these are the “football fans” to use your analogy. But I can’t remember a Democrat (candidate or elected) ever acknowledging a problem created by Democrats (not saying it didn’t happen, just that I never heard of it). On the other hand, I have heard at least one Republican blame his own party for allowing the deficit to get out of control.

Frankly, it isn’t so much a matter of political parties as it is the voting public that allows politicians to get entrenched, and never holds elected officials truly accountable. Political issues are always more complex than they may appear, and people’s opinions always seems to cover the entire spectrum from one polar extreme to the other. As a minimum, that makes for lively discussions. Unfortunately, those discussions rarely bring about sorely needed solutions.

9. Three Jack says:

well written chris. roy is the more conservative of the two top candidates based on past record and would be a much better governor than deal.

• DigitalViolation says:

This is “King Roy” you’re talking about? You must have a really interesting definition of conservative. If he’s such a good candidate, why did he get the boot after only one term?

• Three Jack says:

dv, in comparing the top two candidates for governor, barnes can be considered the more fiscally conservative based on past record. i didn’t say he is the model conservative as you imply.

if barnes switched parties like deal and perdueless, he probably doesn’t get the boot.

• ZazaPachulia says:

“If he’s such a good candidate, why did he get the boot after only one term?”

See: flag; Chris’ paragraph about “unprincipled stands for political gain.”

“If Barnes switched parties like [Sweetheart] Deal and Perdueless, he probably doesn’t get the boot.”

Exactly…

10. Clint says:

Let me start by saying that I’m not asking you to put a bumper sticker on your car. I’m not asking you to put a yard sign in your yard. I’m asking that in the privacy of your heart and in your mind, when you go to the ballot box between now and November 2, cast your vote for a Governor who is right and best for Georgia. Cast your vote for Roy Barnes.

National Republicans are determined to scare voters into thinking that Roy Barnes is somehow a clone of Barack Obama. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Having been attacked for having sour grapes, let me articulate a few reasons why Roy Barnes is the best choice outside of the obvious reasons that his opponent has shown a flagrant disregard for Congressional ethics and honest and transparent public service by repeatedly abusing his office for personal gain and lying to the public about those facts.

We need a Governor who is a fiscal conservative, seeks common sense solutions to the challenges facing our state, and who has strong Georgia values.

In 2002, Stephen Moore and Stephen Slivinski authored a CATO Institute report which said the following about then Governor Roy Barnes:

Roy Barnes of Georgia may be the pre-eminent tax-cutting Democrat on the national scene. In his first year in office he pushed a Taxpayer Bill of Rights that has saved Georgia homeowners $350 million so far. He has also cut the unemployment insurance tax in Georgia, resulting in tax relief of over $1 billion to businesses and workers. He now wants to cut the state capital gains tax. When the recession hit, Mr. Barnes imposed a freeze on state hiring and made across-the-board cuts of 2.5% in the 2002 budget and 5% in the 2003 budget. No wonder Gov. Barnes is considered a potential presidential contender.

It should be noted that Republicans repealed the Homeowners tax break that Roy Barnes wants to restore as Governor.

Roy Barnes, as a successful attorney and businessman, understands how to get the economy moving again and put Georgians back to work. He has a plan to encourage Georgians to invest in Georgia businesses. He understands the need to reduce our state’s energy costs, which will result in saving our government money, which means taxpayers save money. He will truly put the interests of the people of Georgia first and foremost. And one area that should be really exciting is that he is committed to Georgia’s role as an alternative energy leader by using all our pine trees. For me personally, he also understands both the vital importance of tourism and the contribution and value of the Georgia Ports.

Additionally, the proposal for an independent commission to address reapportionment is a superior idea that Georgia needs to implement. It takes as much of the politics out of the redistricting process as we should all expect. That’s a plan that everyone who believes in a true and fair democracy should support. It would ensure no more custom drawn districts for incumbent protection and would ensure that communities of interest are strengthened.

Roy Barnes has released 25 years worth of tax records – the full long documents. It’s all there. He’s honest, straight forward, has integrity, and can and will lead Georgia forward so that it continues being the great state that it is.

On a personal note, I believe you learn more from your mistakes than you do from your successes. When a public servant is willing to be humble, admit their mistakes, and step forward again for public service, it says great things about their character and their determination to serve for the public good and I appreciate and value that in an elected official. We obviously have too many people serving who are looking out for what’s right and good for them and not necessarily the state or taxpayers.

Our state is going through tough times. This economic downturn has resulted in record high unemployment for record lengths of time. The next Governor has got to be able to hit the ground running with no distractions. Roy Barnes shares Georgia’s values, has Georgia’s best interests as his motivating factor, and will be a Governor that we can all be proud to have supported.

• Clint says:

It beats the guy who had to abuse his Congressional Office to try and keep his private business going. Wake up, that’s illegal.

• B Balz says:

So is doing 60 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Will voters think any of these discoveries are material, significant, given what the outcomes really were? I am not suggesting the ends justify the means, or that these events even occurred. Nor am I suggesting there are not a pattern There is a pattern “Deal gets things done.”.

Deal gets things done, and if he went 60 mph in a 55 mph zone, to make things better, will voters penalize him for it? About 5 weeks worth of this stuff is now out there.

If polls don’t reflect a significant downward trend, due to these ‘news’ stories, you may need to invoke Plan B.

You are loyal to your cause, I’ll give you that…

• Clint says:

Order of magnitude. Speeding is not even in the same ball park as abusing your office for private gain.

Deal doesn’t get things done – he did nothing in Congress besides intervene to try and help his business. I think he might have named a few post offices though.

18 years and I think he might have sponsored 6 bills? He claims that sometimes it’s the legislation you stop that’s more important, however, during most of his tenure, he was in the majority. Still nothing but post offices.

• Clint says:

Wait, let’s look at what he did try and do – he tried to do away with GA’s rape shield act. He tried to get special favors from the Attorney General. He tried to get special favors from the Tax Commissioner. He got special favors from the LT. Governor.

Anyway, if there’s a patter here, it’s Deal’s pattern of being wrong for GA.

• rightofcenter says:

Is that the same change in GA’s rape shield act that Roy Barnes’ committee at the State Bar supported?
                Why yes, yes it is.

• B Balz says:

Rep. Deal made it illegal for illegal aliens to cash in on federal medicine saving the US Treasury millions. That’s important!

Clint, why do you persist in this odd verbal war against our next Governor?

• Clint says:

Why do you continue to defend someone who repeatedly abused his Congressional office for personal gain, who tried to repeal the rape shield act, who lies about his financial liabilities and is dishonest with the citizens of Georgia? Who knows what else is out there that he hasn’t told us about that may be a liability.

Deal voted to raise the debt level multiple times as a Member of Congress. Voted for tons of pork barrel spending. The guy isn’t any more of a conservative than I’m the man in the moon.

• rightofcenter says:

Hey, Man in the Moon:
                    Questions:
                    If Roy Barnes is as great a candidate and person as you say he is, why on earth did you work for an opposing candidate? Doesn’t that call your own pristine integrity into question? If the change in the rules of evidence that Deal proposed back in 1991 at the behest of the State Bar was as evil as you suggest, why did your boy Roy not object to it when his State Bar committee supported it? How do you reconcile your ethical and honest boy Roy’s vouching (under oath, no less) for the character of Charles Walker, one of the most notorious crooks in the history of Georgia government?

• Clint says:

Elections are about choices and in this current election there are three choices. Of those three choices, Barnes is the better candidate.

Unfortunately, because of the desperate campaign of lies and deceit that Deal ran, Karen Handel is not one of them. If she were, obviously she’d be my candidate. I’ve made that point clear from the get go.

I honestly would put Deal in the same category with Charles Walker. Both of them abused their office for personal gain.

I’m for Barnes, you’re for the crook, what else is new? Move along wacko.

• rightofcenter says:

You call me a wacko? And yet you guys for civility on this board? And you equate Nathan Deal with Charles Walker? That’s breathtakingly outrageous. If I actually knew you, I would worry for you.

• B Balz says:

Clint,

You are a good advocate and a stalwart in your cause. I respectfully disagree with this: “…Unfortunately, because of the desperate campaign of lies and deceit that Deal ran, Karen Handel is not one of them …”

IMHO, Ms. Handel lost because she has a ‘puffy resume’ and a combative personality. She called out the entire House, and that was her undoing.

I respect those who wanted her to win, and have confusion about those same folks who now feel Roy is the better candidate.

ROC echoes a legitimate question, “Why is Roy now the candidate of choice for some former Karen Handel supporters?” The lady asked that we support OUR nominee.

I may or may not vote for Rep. Deal, I honestly am torn about my vote. But I am more confused by those who switch at this time.

• analogkid says:

Very well said. This in particular:

This is a very important point. Bush 41 learned the hard way that apologizing for past errors may result in political doom, but I will take a sincere apology any day over arrogant, specious claims that a candidate will “get it right the first time,” when his own record repeatedly demonstrates that the opposite is true.

• B Balz says:

@byteme OK. Humility.

You are a bona fide Lib/Dem ‘somebody-or-other’ commenting on an avowed conservative [read:GOP] blog speaking of humility. I find that remarkable on it’s face.

I lost track of the topic as it is simply too absurd to address. As a rational economic voter I am supposed to give my ballot choice to a guy who admits he screwed up?

Or shall I pull for Rep. Deal who actually saves the US Treasury ga-jillions? Gee, I dunno. Hmmm, the guy that did nothing wrong, has not apologized. The other guy admits to screwing up….

You were a GOP pol operative? I endorse the change in vocations!

• analogkid says:

Dude, what? Let’s take these allegations one at a time:

1. I’m not ByteMe. He stopped posting here months after I started. I’m honored that you think I’m as well-spoken as he, but we are not the same person.

2. “You are a bona fide Lib/Dem ‘somebody-or-other.’” Perhaps you missed on the other thread where I stated that I support Austin Scott (although I’m not sure how you missed it, since you responded to that very comment). Could it be that I’m just a moderate, independent voter? Perhaps you also missed the numerous times I commented my approval to your posts over the last few months. Until recently, you seemed to be a reasonable person.

3. Are you seriously suggesting that admitting a few mistakes during a four-year term is a bad thing? Did you vote for Bush 41 in 1992, even though he admitted that raising taxes was a mistake? I’ve voted R in every presidential election I’ve been eligible to vote, except 2004 (I was 17 in 1992 or I would have voted for Bush). How about you?

4. “Or shall I pull for Rep. Deal who actually saves the US Treasury ga-jillions? ” I’d like to see your math on that.

5. “You were a GOP pol operative? I endorse the change in vocations!” I’ve never worked for a campaign or even donated to a campaign. Nice try though.

You and I both post under anonymous names, perhaps for the same reason, perhaps not. If we ever meet, I’ll explain why I have to post anonymously, and I assure you it’s not because I’m a pol op. Until then, you’ll have to take my word on it.

11. John Konop says:

I would like to know if Barnes and Deal are for jobs and life or pandering to Dan Becker at the Georgia Right to Life. I would hope both would embrace this technology.

Ga. in stem cell focus

…Teams at both Atlanta’s Shepherd Center and Northwestern University in Chicago were standing by to begin the historic trial, each awaiting a newly injured patient. Sometime in the 14 days before Oct. 8, someone, presumably in the South, suffered a paralyzing spine injury, signed the papers and became Patient A……

…..Members of Georgia Right to Life also will be watching. Dan Becker, the group’s president, said the landmark medical procedure will galvanize the state’s anti-abortion community. He promised to push for legislation banning embryonic stem cell research when the General Assembly reconvenes in January.

“For us the battle is not over. It’s not done in Georgia,” said Becker. “I think most Americans would disagree with the basic premise of embryonic stem cell research. With embryonic stem cell treatment, you are always taking a life.” …..

12. Chris,

This is a well written piece, but I have one question: Why would Barnes work with Republicans this time? Historically, Barnes was partisan, believing Republicans were a passing fad.

His first commercial “apology” reeked of arrogance. It could be paraphrased as, “I’m sorry all you little people didn’t understand how brilliant I am. I should have explained it in smaller words so you could understand. Next time, I’ll listen to you, and then I’ll do what I know is best.”

13. theight says:

I’m always hearing Republicans stating reasons not to vote for Dems but I never hear why people should vote for Republicans. Can I get some reasons from you conservatives why you vote and why other people should vote Republicans. I don’t want to hear about Dems failed at doing this and that. I really want to know your true answer. My point of this is, its time to start voting indviduals and not the parties.

• Harry says:

Ideological differences aside, one reason to vote Republican is that they have internal reform elements at work trying to clean up their house. The Democrats don’t, far as I can see. The corrupt Democratic unions and special interests call the shots.

• Kellie says:

Harry – If the GOP really had “internal reform elements at work trying to clean up their house” as you say, then why do we have the candidates that we have?

• Harry says:

We have some good candidates; others not so much.

At least we can talk about it more than in the Democratic party where dissent is marginalized.

• theight says:

Well thats not what people that are trying to decide would want to hear after the past 8 years the Republicans had control of the house. You can look how bad our state has become since Perdue became Governor and when Bush was President. I admit Barnes wasn’t the greatest governor either but Deal just doesn’t seem to be trustworthy. Hopefully one day the people in this country will start voting based on candidates agenda instead of the party they rep. We have to care more for our country than our party. I still don’t understand why people wish for other to fail while in office. For instance. If you wish for obama to fail, you wish for our country to fail.

• Doug Grammer says:

If I wish for Preident Obama to fail, it’s because I think he’s going in the wrong direction and I love my country.

• Lady Thinker says:

Harry,

So you are saying Chris Riley has the internal reform elements to pull deal’s strings because deal is a follower and not a leader. If deal gets in, it will be Riley behind the scenes running Georgia politics with deal as a figurehead.

14. Harry says:

I see reform as an evolution, not a revolution. Karen is one internal reform element in the party. There are others, some right here on the pundit. Where are the Democrats willing to call out King Roy and the unions? Well, I see a couple here, but they’re pretty scarce. And no, Carol Porter doesn’t fall in that group.