Georgia Democratic Party Finally Jumps The Shark.

Opposition research is part of the game now and this year Democrats are getting their money’s worth. Democrats spent $12,000 with Stanford Campaigns, a Democratic opposition research firm from Texas, so we could find out that a couple of Republicans changed their names some years ago. Rumor has it that news outlets have been given files on up to 20 Republican candidates so the mud has just begun to fly. Oh and while we’re at it, and let’s unseal Austin Scott’s divorce records so we can try and prop up Jim Marshall’s sinking campaign.

All of this is part of today’s political landscape and I get it. Republicans do it too (though mostly too each other). You can decide for yourselves where the line should be drawn on digging into someone’s past – my point is that the Democratic Party of Georgia and several of their candidates have run negative campaigns almost to the exclusion of putting forward any ideas for Governing.

Today the Georgia Democratic Party has jumped the shark in my opinion. I don’t care what you think of Nathan Deal (you all know I’m supporting him), but for the Democratic to first try to scare African-Americans into thinking Deal is going to disenfranchise them, and now trying to make us believe Deal wants to punish rape victims is beyond the pale.

As that famous Democrat Al Gore once said:

“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When you have neither, holler.”

Democrats are doing plenty of hollering these days.

1. fishtail says:

Looks like Roy Barnes is telling the truth about Nathan Deal in this TV ad. Buzz….you and I are both male, and we cannot understand fully what humiliation comes from being raped (at least I can’t). This ad will resonate with female voters.

2. Mike Hauncho says:

The Democratic Party takes advantage of African Americans over and over and it is shameful. They try to scare them by telling them lies in order to turn out the vote. This is beginning to backfire on them as you are seeing an increase in conservative black candidates who speak out against this abuse. The Voting Rights Act served a purpose during the Civil Rights era but it is now an out dated policy.

This reminds me of the John Eaves for Fulton County Commission race four years ago where Shirley Franklin, Andrew Young, and Cong. John Lewis stated that if you vote for the Republican we will return to the days of Bull Connor, firehose, and attack dogs.

We all deserve better than this.

• fishtail says:

Mike Hauncho…GOP does the exact same thing…remember the infamous race-baiting TV ads featuring Willie Horton? But I suppose you will argue that was not racism, just the truth.

• Mike Hauncho says:

Fishtail – Willie Horton was not about race. It was about a prisoner serving a life sentence for murder that was allowed a weekend furlough and raped a woman while he was out. That had nothing to do with race and everything to do with poor judgment by a governor who felt letting criminals back on the street, even murderers, just for a day or two was a good idea.

Chris – Posing with Al Sharpton is never a good idea. Not because of his race but because he is loud, obnoxious, and out of touch with the views of most Americans. Al uses race as a tool for division, not unity.

• Interesting perspective. Perhaps you’d care to explain why Jill Chambers sent around a picture of me posing with Al Sharpton on multiple mailers when I ran against her.

• Bob Roche says:

It doesn’t matter, jill sent out a flyer with photos of Cynthia McKinney and I never met her in person. (and I campaigned for Hank Johnson – he hosted a fundraiser for me.)

I think the republican party (and faux news, and glen beck) have a new slogan: “there’s a sucker born every minute”.

3. Clint says:

Bringing to light the bill that Deal tried to turn into law is not negative campaigning nor is it wrong.

The more we learn about Nathan Deal, the more we realize how wrong he is for Georgia.

I feel better and better about my support for Roy Barnes every day.

• Lady Thinker says:

Clint,

I am appalled by this latest rape ad regarding deal and as a woman, this is the last straw. Even though I have been sitting on the fence and playing devil’s advocate regarding both men in posting on PP, deal crosses a line in trying to victimize rape victims, even if it was nearly 20 years ago.

This is another example in a long line of events that proves deal is not worthy or competent to lead Georgia. Heck, he can’t even pass a basic financial accounting course and his personal financial records proves that is true.

I called the Barnes campaign today and asked them to send me a yard sign. I will join you in supporting Barnes and I will try to make it to as many of his events that I can.

• rightofcenter says:

Lady Thinker,
        What a bunch of horse manure. Did you do anything but look at Barnes’ ad? This was not just Deal’s bill – it was something that the State Bar of Georgia wanted passed. Are you saying that all of the lawyers in the state were trying to victimize rape victims? If you actually believe this, you are crazy as a loon.

• Lady Thinker says:

Hey, you are back! The State Bar of Georgia lawyers are not running for governor, deal is and this is an indication of his character.

Should deal be elected, Georgia women should worry about deal trying to move us back 100 years. If a woman’s sexual past is going to be brought into the fray, then a man’s sexual past should be brought in also because there is a pervasive attitude, mainly from rapists and some redneck men, that they are entitled to sex and women cannot refuse.

The other point is that some men want women to be sexual equals, others want to sleep with every woman possible but marry a virgin. That is a narrow attitude and you can’t have it both ways.

• SFCWallace says:

After that post, you need to change your name to: LadyNon-ThinkerWhosisEasilyManipulated.
        Funny how you use the “last straw” line from the commercial.

4. perimeterprogressive says:

Uh, the problem with your argument is that Barnes ad looks to be legit. They released like, 18 pages of newspaper articles back them up. I read them and…Deal did try to dismantle the rape shield law. Is it negative campaigning? Sure. Is it accurate? Yes. And the fact that this is accurate is frightening – how could people want this man to be governor?

The problem with saying the Democrats are all to blame for this? If what they were finding wasn’t true, they wouldn’t have been able to find it in the first place.

So, in my humble opinion, you shouldn’t be asking why the Democrats are digging all of this stuff up, you should be asking why the GOP is nominating candidates with such shady pasts? You can’t find anything if there’s nothing there to find.

• Lady Thinker says:

But there are millions more, from 8 to 80 that do share the belief in the rape shield law. Yes there will be a small number of women who will take advantage of this law, the overwhelming majority will be true victims.

• Lady Thinker says:

I have worked with rape victims and this is the absolute last straw for me. By the way, the ones I worked were legitimate except for one out of about 250.

• fishtail says:

I can’t believe it…Doug Deal is now an advocate of defendants rights…he will surely be ex-communicated from the GOP by the Grand Wizard at their next convening.

• AubieTurtle says:

Dude, that’s rather low. The GOP certainly has more than its fair share of Harrys and Pete Randalls but the vast majority of are far far away from anything associated with the Klan.

I don’t agree with Doug’s attempt to defend Deal here but let’s not add a fresh pit of mud to roll around in.

• Lady Thinker says:

Doug,

I am all for a fair trial and I do think some guys get burned, but if a woman’s sexual history is going to be part of a trial, so should the guy’s. Do you agree or disagree?

• Doug Deal says:

I must admit that I am not well versed on Georgia’s version of rape shield laws, so I might actually be in complete agreement of it. However, I am familiar of some honorous provisions in some state’s laws that do little than prevent a defendant from mounting a defense.

Some rape shield laws are more than just preventing sexual history being admitted into court.

Should the fact that a woman might sleep around be brought out? Certainly not, as sexual history is not relevant and is not a defense anyway.

Should the fact that a woman has made bogus criminal charges against others be brought out? Yes, because it goes to credibility and the willingness to inappropriately use the law to exact revenge for perceived sleights is definitely a motivation to lie. I have read that in some states (I do not know about Georgia) this type of challenge to an alleged victim is out of bounds.

Rape is a horrible thing, so is murder, so is battery, so is child abuse, so is treason, so is a number of felonies. It is no reason to undo the legal protection that all defendants are entitled to.

Despite what you might believe, not all defendants are guilty and not all alleged victims are victims.

5. Erick's Mortal Enemy says:

You want to know why Democrats pay for opposition research? Because you Repugnican’ts constantly seek to shame yourselves (yes, this will be an idealogue post, sorry).

I’m sorry if y’all don’t like facts, like that Deal wanted to weaken rape laws, or that Austin Scott may have had a troubled marriage. If you want to run for public office, it’s freakin’ fair game, sorry.

If this was your own party doing it, you wouldn’t have given two rips.

• EME,
      It’s also a “fact” that you may have had a troubled marriage. It’s a “fact” that Jim Marshall may have had a troubled marriage? Can you conclusively prove that Marshall and his wife have NEVER even considered counseling? Then it may be true.

It’s a “fact” that pigs may fly (on an extremely low-gravity planet or something).

Conjecture is by no means a “fact.” I know that you know better. I think even liberals can make sense, but you’re definitely not helping your cause here.

6. DriveByDawg says:

From the AJC – the GSU professor/lawyer who drafted the legislation in question:

“Here are the facts from the law professor who drafted that reform of the evidence code (me). The proposal was to adopt the Federal Rules of evidence which had been adopted in most states. The bill was sponsored by the State Bar of Georgia and included a version of the Federal rape shield act which the lawyers on the State Bar Committee and I believed was superior to Georgia’s rule in several respects. Senator Steinberg, who was not a lawyer, incorrectly believed that the proposed rule would make it easier to bring up a rape victim’s sexual history at trial. I have been an evidence professor at Georgia State College of Law for 27 years and can say without hesitation that Senator Steinberg was completely wrong and that the reform we proposed actually was MORE protective of the victim. And here is something else you should know. Roy Barnes served on the State Bar Evidence Committee that reviewed and approved that proposed legislation. Paul Milich, Professor of Law, Georgia State Univ.

The Georgia statute allows evidence of the victim’s sexual history when “so highly material that it will substantially support a conclusion that the accused reasonably believed that the complaining witness consented to the conduct.” The Federal Rape Shield statute and the one that was proposed in 1991 by the State Bar has no such exception. The Georgia and Federal statutes are very similar in most other respects. To suggest, as the ad does, that the proposal approved by the State Bar would have abolished rape shield protection for victims in Georgia is simply and absolutely false. As the author of that proposal, I can tell you that I based it not only on the Federal rape shield statute but also the rape shield statutes of Minnesota and Wisconsin which were at that time considered in the forefront of protecting rape victims’ rights at trial.”

pesky things facts.

• perimeterprogressive says:

Since you posted this in two threads, I’ll post a reply in both. But I won’t just copy and paste.

First of all, those are comments in the story from Jim Galloway. That would be like me saying “Well, according to Peach Pundit, they won’t copy and paste.”

Next, I’m still going with the dozens of news stories and what lawmakers from the time said. I’m imaging them on two a balance with the dozens of news stories on one side overwhelming having much more weight than the other.

• Doug Grammer says:

“Roy Barnes served on the State Bar Evidence Committee that reviewed and approved that proposed legislation.”

Should this be accurate, no more need be said.

7. RuralDem says:

Interesting post, though I find the timing very, very odd.

A day after most of the Republican front page posters come out in support of a Democrat, Buzz decides to make a post trashing Democrats.

If that consulting expenditure from March 1st was such a huge deal, why not mention it when the issue of Scott’s divorce records was mentioned a month or so ago? Way to leave Cagle out of it.

The name change information is fairly old as well.

If ether of those issues truly bothered you, why not make this type of post before?

Democrats might be doing plenty of hollering, but it looks like one of the front page posters is having to reinforce the idea that he puts party above policy.

• Steve says:

Heh… I caught that, and thought about making a similar comment. However, I appreciate the awkward spot that Buzz is in: running for office on the Republican ticket, while being associated with a blog that shifts in and out of Republican favor from week to week. Most people would have walked away upon deciding to run for office. Buzz stayed. I respect that, and therefore give him a “cynicism-pass” on little things like this.

The fact that I happen to agree with this post doesn’t hurt, either.

• I’ve been mulling over a post like this for a couple of weeks, after I learned that a Democratic operative had delivered “dirt” on a number of Republicans to the media. The stories about Jason Shepherd and Michael Harden were among the files delivered.

I had all but decided not to write a post until the State Dems sent out the “scare the black folks” mailer and launched the “Deal loves rapists” ad. Those we’re the final straws for me.

BTW I don’t like new ad the GOP is running saying Barnes is OK with kids dying in the foster care system. I just might do a post about that too. Not that Roy needs any more love from Peach Pundit.

8. One more thing. The “Deal loves rapist” ad came out the same day I wrote the post. It had nothing to do with what other front page posters may or may not be doing with their votes.

• AubieTurtle says:

The ad isn’t Deal loves rapists, it’s Deal doesn’t care about protecting rape victims. Quite a difference.

While it’s not fair to make Deal responsible for the statements of John McCain, I’m sure many women will remember McCain’s comment during the presidential debates that implied women falsely claim to have been raped so they can get abortions. It’s not a topic that the GOP appears sympathetic on, even if most members of the party actually are.

9. bowersville says:

Horse feathers.

This is the same man the Republicans have demonized with millions of dollars to the point that most Georgians would believe it would be more pleasant to spend a day in hell with the devil than spend 15 minutes with Roy Barnes over a glass of tea.

One thing Barnes has never been accused of is stupid. Sounds to me he learned not to bring kid’s gloves and a pocket knife to a gun fight. The problem as I see it this time is one side is rabbit punching and the other is countering with hay makers.