Nathan’s Plans

Well I guess by now everyone’s seen that Fox 5 story where Nathan Deal says when he and his office were intervening on behalf of a potential landfill that he and his business owned that he was just helping a constituent.  Of course it turns out that the constituent he was serving was none other than himself.  Hey, everyone gets a vote right?

I guess these same constituents are also the one[s] that asked him to run for Governor – hey it’s a lot easier to work the law department and DNR when you don’t have to hop on Delta to get there.  In that vein, I present to you Nathan’s plans for his constituent[s] should Georgia voters elect him…

Jobs Plan: The employment rate for constituent will skyrocket from 0 to full employment overnight!

Foreclosure Relief: Constituent that may have been forced to put their house up for a short sale in this tough economic environment will be moved into unoccupied Buckhead mansion until the market picks back up.

Transportation Plan: Constituent tired of sitting in Atlanta traffic?  State Police escort available to speed up commute.  Also opportunities to fly in state owned plane and helicopter – plus you can learn how to fly a helicopter if you really want to (may be good skill in new economy).

Tax Plan: Previous constituent passed special tax break that benefited only him, we can probably figure out something for new constituent here.

So, you see, all you liberal Democrats should just stop your whining about Nathan Deal.  His Congressional office was noted for its excellent constituent service and if he’s elected Governor we should all look forward to more of the same.

1. AubieTurtle says:

Since when has it been the job of the United States House of Representatives to provide constituent services for business at the county government level? Talk about too much Federal involvement and being against the concept of local government!

• SFrazier says:

I think the REAL plan is for Deal to move into the Governors mansion in January… I love watching you all lose every single election. PP front pagers are the kiss of death to all that you support.

• AubieTurtle says:

Did you forget to address my point or did you reply to my post merely as a cheap gimmick to get to the top of the thread?

• SFrazier says:

Was that county in a different district? Did the other 3 businesses on the road not deserve representation. Oh sorry, this is the new liberal PP where you all believe we should support illegals with healthcare rather than provide jobs by allowing 3 tax paying businesses and their customers a basic American tax payer right. A paved road…

• AubieTurtle says:

Is it a Federal road? No, it was a private road. Were they asking the Federal government to take over maintenance of the road? No, they were asking the county to do so. It doesn’t matter what congressional district the county is in, the Federal government has no place in deciding if a county should take over responsibility for maintaining a private road. Or do you wish to do away with county governements and run everything out of Washington?

• Lady Thinker says:

” a basic American tax payer right. A paved road”

Where is that written in the either the state or the federal Constitution? There are millions of dirt/gravel roads across this country and probably 50,000 in this state. I am sure those people want to see this right so THEY can get a paved PRIVATE road.

• AubieTurtle says:

Heck, I don’t even have a problem with the concept of a private road being turned over to the county to be paved and maintained. As long as it is of benefit to the taxpayers of the county, no big deal. But I find it weird that Deal supporters are trying to so hard to make it ok for the Federal government to be in control of a county matter.

It makes me wonder what other power they want to hand over to Washington. If government was set up their way, would I need to ask my member of congress to contact the Bureau of Dwelling Identification when I want to repaint the address numbers on the curb in front of my house? Sure sounds like that’s the kind of Federal control over local issues that these guys are wishing for.

• Lady Thinker says:

I agree with your post Aubie. It is rather the opposite of what McBerry wanted to do. McBerry wanted to secede from the USA and these dealies, who are alledged conservative Republicans, want Washington to be their new daddies.

• Lady Thinker says:

She is the reason some of Karen’s supporters are moving over to Barnes now that the rape ad has hit. deal could have called a truce with us and extended an olive branch as a show of good faith to get our votes but he and his posters refused.

2. Tyler says:

Chris,

I actually care about who my vote goes to, but this post provides ZERO reasons to vote for Barnes over Deal. I feel like you went for facetious rather than factual.

Why not talk ethics, Roy’s plans for transportation, and how the budget needs to be led by someone who made money in the private sector vs. someone who has debt?

This election is important. I’m “on the fence” but this post gives me no reason to delve into Camp King Roy.

• bgsmallz says:

I think you are right on some level…not much meat…

but I think the point in the humor is relevant.

Who cares what Deal says his plan is going to be? Actions speak louder than words, don’t they? If he is under oath/rule not to use the office for personal gain, but then does it anyway, why should we listen to what he says he is going to do?

That’s the point…the Deal plan based upon his actions is to do what is best for Nathan Deal and then to rationalize it away after the fact.

I hear Barnes’ plan…and there are definitely some things I don’t agree with…but you know what? I’d rather feel like I’m dealing with someone that has ethics and is going to be honest with me rather than put someone into power that says a lot of things that I like but who I have no confidence in to actually have integrity when it comes to following through on those things.

Perfection can be the enemy of good. I know Roy isn’t going to be perfect and I would have rather taken my chances on Karen Handel…but darn it, I’d rather fight with Barnes in an open and transparent setting with a GOP controlled legislature on issues that we both agree are important for the state of Georgia than give Deal the keys to the castle, not knowing what he is going to try to pull in secret, while he soothes me and the legislature that he is knows what’s right for GA (and that part of that is what’s best for Nathan Deal).

3. fishtail says:

Nathan Deal’s motto…”You never have to worry about a conflict of interest if you always put yourself first”….

4. Spacey G says:

There are some real Sherlocks on Peach Pundit since I used to troll here. *facetious rather than factual.* You’re gonna need to be at least in middle school now to contend with that kinda brain power in play.

• AubieTurtle says:

So this go around you’ve decided to make it factual rather than facetious? The content to insult ratio of that post was rather poor.

5. Doug Grammer says:

I guess anti-Deal pundit doersn’t want to really discuss the issues and just wants to make fun of them…sad. but I can still see the humor in the thread.

• Doug Grammer says:

I just count the threads and types of stories posted; that’s where I come up with Anti-Deal pundit. How many of those FPP endorsed Sec. Handel?

No one (FPP) wants to discuss Congressman Deal V Gov. Barnes. I have seen one thread on jobs, which didn’t go too long. Nothing on water, transportation (unless you count specific roads (400) or Marta), education, taxes, illegal immigration and the stances by the Gov. candidates on those issues. I tried discussing those with Clint, but he’s been replaced by crickets. He only had one issue and didn’t know where Congressman Deal stood on that issue. After I got him an answer, he vanished. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson, I guess he couldn’t handle the truth.

If you want to actually discuss issues and where the Gov. candidates stand on them with people from all parties, what blog do you recommend? I thought it would be this one.

• Tyler says:

Ethics. #1 issue of this race IMO. Yes, jobs will probably be the deciding factor, but if “King Roy” manages to squeak (rat pun) out a win, it’ll be b/c of the ethics questions that have been raised and not b/c they thought one candidate was more conservative than the other.

Deal’s supporters will argue he is innocent, I understand that. But, as we all know, politics is about perception. I still see Deal winning this in the end, but he is certainly being put through the ringer. And, IMO, he like all candidates deserve to. No, he isn’t required to release his tax returns and shouldn’t if he wants to easily win office in November.

And, yes, you can hide a ****load in tax schedules.

• Doug Grammer says:

Ethics maybe number 1 for you, but there are a HELL of a lot of Georgians without a job. Posters on here want to complain what time an e-mail was sent from which computer, when I know people who have problems putting food on the table and paying rent.

Shouldn’t we be talking about what’s the number one issue for THOSE people? I was on a dirt road in Dade County today in a trailer park, and people were discussing which trailer to go to because they wanted heat.

It’s not funny to have 432 (exaggeration) threads like this that do nothing but bash and make fun of candidates of any party, when we have had 1 thread in the last month that even mentions jobs (in the title). We need to discuss real issues that affect peoples lives and who will be able to help Georgians like the ones I just talked about.

• Tyler says:

Ok, then shouldn’t the CEO of our state be someone who has had experience making money and promoting wealth in the private sector vs. someone who has a lot of debt and has made bad financial decisions?

My point being is that any way you slice it, Deal has made bad decisions and is being hit with the consequences. Yes, he’s playing it off as “following his heart” b/c of his daughter and son-in-law, but I would put to you that many taxpayers care more about how their dollars are spent.

If Deal wants to effectively argue against Roy, he needs trump Roy’s resume with his, and right now I’m not seeing it. I still think voters are going to flock to the polls and push the name with an (R) beside it regardless. But, I don’t like Roy, but I also don’t like Deal. I think Georgians got a raw deal in the end. I would’ve much rather seen Karen Handel or Eric Johnson at the top of our ticket. Both would be WAY ahead in the polls when compared w/ Deal.

• Doug Grammer says:

Coulda woulda shoulda…that’s the problem. You guys are longing for someone else on the ballot, and it’s not there.

I didn’t say lets compare resumes, but we can do that if you like. I wanted to discuss issues that most Georgians care about. Most of them don’t care about politics.

I’ll type on something on resumes on Sunday afternoon. Now I have to go work and then go have a heart to heart with the average voter in the 8th CD. Enjoy most of the weekned without me!

• “Ethics maybe number 1 for you, but there are a HELL of a lot of Georgians without a job.”

In other words, even if the devil himself was running for office with an R beside his name, we should vote for him because he could provide lots of job creation, right? Party over principle… yeah… that’s pretty sad.

• Doug Grammer says:

DS,

Does your organization even have a candidate? I didn’t mention anything about party. I wanted to talk about jobs. Let’s discuss whose candidate can create more jobs. No party lables, no stupid name calling. You (collectively) not being able to engage into a debate about an issue is what is sad.

• Three Jack says:

“let’s discuss whose candidate can create more jobs”….spoken like a true government first liberal.

hey doug, the only jobs a governor ‘creates’ are those within the state government. a good governor should do everything to get government out of the way so the private sector can create jobs. sharon angle pointed this out to harry reid last night…maybe you should have watched that debate.

• seenbetrdayz, Ph.D. says:

Democrats aren’t allowed to create jobs. Republican are.

See the difference?

One has a (D) beside their name, and the other has an (R). The difference is paramount.

Oh, if only Roy Barnes would change his party affiliation to Republican before this election, I bet half the people on peachpundit could be fooled into picking the wrong choice on the ballot.

• Doug Grammer says:

three jack,

You have lost your freakin mind if you think I am a liberal. I agree a lot with what you had to say about the role of government in creating jobs. Government should be more out of the way. Gov. Barnes and his good buddy President Obama don’t see it that way. Congressman Deal is for reducing/eliminating capital gains taxes. Congressman Deal has a plan that has been scored by an independent body that would raise Georgia’s economy if enacted. (equaling more jobs)

Do you want to talk about real policy and jobs or do you want to spin some more? The playground is waiting on you.

• B Balz says:

Pol operatives framed this cycle on ethics. Goody for them, most voters are not as high minded. Though “ethics”, defined by whom, ought to be number one, they are not.

Many Georgians are facing imminent financial collapse due to causes beyond their control, medical bankruptcy, and could care less.

Do you honestly believe a high powered Atlanta developer, hearing that a prospective business won’t buy here due to the water uncertainty, cares that Rep. Deal’s staffer MAY have broken a House rule? If Rep. Deal can deal with the water issue better’n Roy, because he is not an egomaniac, who gets the vote?

I want a Governor who can get things done, without a big ego getting in the way. Who has proven their imperious leadership style is ineffective? Roy.

Tyler, ethics are truly the most important driver in how one conducts their life. Save for Mother Theresa and Gandhi, few achieve a level of ethical importance AND efficacy in public policy.

Get off the cross, we need the wood.

• bgsmallz says:

Society’s demands for moral authority and character increase as the importance of the position increases.

-John Adams

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

-Aristotle

Doug-

If you can’t understand why ethics/character is always the most important issue when putting someone in power, I’m not sure it is worth discussing jobs, water, transportation, or any other topic.

It’s like this…the government is the car. Deal and Barnes both say they want to drive the car to the same spot (for argument’s sake, ‘a better GA’). They both lay out their path on Google maps on how to get there, how much it is going to cost, how many stops along the way, do they want to avoid interstates…

But I can reasonably trust Barnes that he is giving me a transparent indication of all of the details. He is really telling me where he wants to go and how he is going to try to get us there. If there is an emergency pit stop along the way, I think Barnes will tell us what’s wrong (flat tire, etc.) because he has proven to be transparent and honest. Plus, if the destination or the map isn’t to a reasonable liking, I feel like the legislature will be able to correct the path and shift the destination to a spot more in line with where we shoudl go.

Deal…? Well, I’m not sure I can believe that he has actually told us where we are going. I’m not sure he is going to tell us exactly how we are going to get there. I’m not certain that if we are making unannounced pit stops along the way that Nathan isn’t using mom’s Gulf credit card that she gave Nathan only to use on gas to buy snacks, beer, and other assorted items from the convenience store at the Gulf station since those will all show up on mom’s bill as “Gulf Station purchases”, and I’m surely not confident that if Deal is doing any of these things that our legislature, which refuses to pass any sort of tough ethics bill, will do anything to actually report this nonsense considering they are all turning a blind party loyalist view to the shenanigans that have already happened.

If Deal is elected, Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Doug Grammer says:

I disagree that they can drive the car equally as far or that they even want to drive it to the same spot. I’ll post more later.

6. Jeff Yoder says:

I thought the electorate in Louisiana was the dumbest for re-electing David Vitter, the GOP philanderer who ranted and raved how he was holier than thou and now we have an electorate in Georgia who obviously place party over ethics where Nathan is leading Barnes by several percentage points. I wonder what state can out trump this pinnacle of hypocrisy? Is it any wonder politicians such as Vitter and Deal ask us to bend over when the electorate firmly stands behind them regardless of there transgressions! I guess the sheepish voters of Georgia will add to Natahn’s lead if another unethical episode pops up this week! How stupid can one be and I guess Barns is right about the rest of the country laughing at us for supporting a candidate who sprouts up a new ethics charge each week?

7. Machette says:

Most of you wouldn’t trust Nathan Deal alone in the kitchen with your silverware – but you are going to vote him in as Governor? True conservatives oppose wasteful spending. The worst kind of government waste is when politicians funnel tax dollars into their own pockets. If you are going to vote for Deal then you may as well reelect Sanford Bishop too if you live in his district, because Bishop’s self-dealings pale in comparison to Deal’s deals.

8. Holly says:

Actually, Chris, I’d be happy if you or someone took Tyler up on his suggestion and did a “why I’m voting for Roy” post that doesn’t include negative points about Nathan Deal. And perhaps someone else can do one for Deal and someone else can do one for Monds.

Pretty please?

9. KariDee says:

Officials: Deal not granted any favors in road request

By Melissa Weinman
    [email protected]

POSTED: October 14, 2010 11:24 p.m.

SARA GUEVARA/The TimesPictured is a private road that runs past Republican gubernatorial candidate Nathan Deal’s auto salvage yard, Gainesville Salvage Disposal.View Larger

Entangled in accusations that Republican Nathan Deal used his Congressional office for personal business is a small gravel road that runs behind his Athens Highway business.

Deal and his business partner Ken Cronan, co-owners of Gainesville Salvage and Disposal, hoped to have the county take over the maintenance of a small road on the property known as Old County Dump Road that runs behind the business.

Chris Riley, Deal’s campaign manager and former U.S. House chief of staff, kept close tabs on the progress of Old County Dump Road through correspondence with Hall County officials.

The road was also tied to adjacent property that Cronan planned to use for a construction and demolition landfill.

But the small road was never accepted into the county maintenance system.

Hall County Engineer Kevin McInturff said Deal was granted no special favors in his application.

“Went through the identical channels as if anyone else had gone through it,” McInturff said.

Before it can be accepted into the county maintenance system, a road must go through a determination.

“It’s for the Planning Commission to make a recommendation on whether a road is indeed a road. It doesn’t imply any public maintenance, it just allows certain legal privileges,” McInturff said.

He said the Public Works Department looks at factors such as whether the road is gated, how it was constructed, how it was maintained, etc.

Once the Planning Commission votes to approve the road determination, an application for road acceptance can be submitted.

For the county to accept a road into the maintenance system, it must be brought up to industrial standards: 24 feet of pavement, 2-foot curb and gutters on each side and paved with inches of stone and 6 inches of asphalt.

“That part was never done so the county never accepted the road,” McInturff said. “If you go out there today the road is still gravel.”

Hall County Right-of-Way Supervisor Larry Poole said requests for road acceptance are pretty common.

“We get a fair number of requests,” Poole said. “But they have to bring it up to standard. It’s quite expensive, so most times they don’t go forward from that point.”

On Oct. 20, 2005, the Hall County Planning Board approved the road determination for Old County Dump Road.

One month later, Riley sent an e-mail to Hall County Attorney Bill Blalock asking about the process of road acceptance.

“Nathan and Ken Cronan owners of Gainesville Salvage and Disposal made application to the County to for (sic) petition to accept Old County Dump Road into the Hall County Road system and thus maintain the road as it once did during the open years of the Hall County Landfill,” Riley wrote. “At this point Nathan has been informed that the petition needs no further action by the County due to the approval of the planning and zoning board. However, there are some of the opinion that since the road will be maintained by the County, approval from the full commission is required. Can you add some clarification to this dilemma?”

In March of 2006, a road acceptance package was prepared by Hall County Engineering.

However, the acceptance was never approved by the Hall County Board of Commissioners because the road was not brought to county standards.

• AubieTurtle says:

Good for Hall County officials. But that doesn’t change the fact that Deal used the resources of the United States House of Representatives to try to get Hall County to take action that was of benefit to him personally. The fact that in the end he failed is not relevant. It’s the fact that he tried in the first place that’s troubling. I’m sure there are many others in the county who have tried the same but none of them used Federal resources… but Deal did.

Next time this kind of issue comes up, he should have the attorney for his business handle it… or his business partner… or the business’s secretary… or just about anyone other than his congressional staff using congressional resources in the name of a member of Congress. Deal seems to have developed a pattern of mixing up the resources granted to him as a member of the United States House of Representatives with those of his business.

• B Balz says:

I agree.

I don’t think this type of violation, now being described as a ‘pattern’ of abuse [by the dashing man with a bow-tie] of a House rule is a valid reason to vote against Rep. Deal.

10. Lady Thinker says:

“Deal, now a candidate for governor, has maintained no wrongdoing. The Deal campaign said Riley commonly helped constituents in the district like Cronan with regulatory issues.”

So is deal now saying it is okay for his campaign manager, Chris Riley, to help his friend and business partner Cronan get special political favors and/or “deals” at taxpayer’s expense? Or is he saying that Cronan called his business partner “deal” to ask for political intervention so that Cronan could get a paved road? Did Riley offer to help other voters in deal’s district?

• KariDee says:

• Lady Thinker says:

Did anyone else have deal or Riley in their corner? I doubt it.

You put this article out here to support deal but it shows how deal and Cronan tried to call in political favors to get a paved road. You only helped to build a case against deal showing that if he wants something, he feels he is entitled to call in special favors to get it. Posting this news article isn’t helping your candidate.

I guess you support deal’s efforts to weaken the rape shield laws too. As a woman, how does that make YOU feel?

11. KariDee says:

“Birds of a feather…I wonder if Cronan has the same ethical and financial shortcomings as his friend and business partner deal?”

Is Cronan running for office?? NO. LT-this is the last comment of yours that I will EVER reply to…..because, quite frankly, you are IRRELEVANT and full of senseless rhetoric.

• Lady Thinker says:

You’ve said that at least twice before and yet, you still respond to me.

So again, as the nurse you claim to be, how do you feel about deal’s efforts to weaken the rape shield laws?

12. KariDee says:

‘Green’ landfill plan: Recycle old waste
    Deal gave share of property to partner Cronan in 2003, records show

By Carolyn Crist
    [email protected]

POSTED: October 16, 2010 11:56 p.m.

More than eight years after then-U.S. Rep. Nathan Deal and business partner Ken Cronan purchased land near their Gainesville auto salvage business, construction plans for a landfill are finally moving forward.

Deal and Cronan bought the Athens Highway property, which sits behind Gainesville Salvage and Disposal, in 2002 and struggled to obtain proper zoning and Environmental Protection Division permits.

Deal was financially invested in the property until 2003.

A quit claim deed dated November 2003 shows Deal gave his share of the property to Cronan, signing away any rights or claim to the land.

Deal and Chris Riley, his campaign manager and former U.S. House chief of staff, were involved in correspondence and meetings with Hall County and Georgia officials through 2008.

Documents show they met with the Georgia Environmental Protection Division and state attorney general about the permitting of the landfill and with Hall County officials over the zoning of the property and a road that runs alongside it.

In March 2006, Deal met with EPD officials about the permit. Carol Couch, then-director of the Environmental Protection Division, addressed a letter to Deal about the requirements. An August 2007 application for an EPD permit includes signatures from both Cronan and Deal.

Deal spokesman Brian Robinson said the only reason Deal signed the application is because it included property from Gainesville Salvage and Disposal, which he co-owns with Cronan.

“When Hall County redid the zoning (for the landfill) they redid the Gainesville Salvage and Disposal zoning,” Robinson said. “It was all grouped together. When the county sent the paperwork application to get a permit, Gainesville Salvage and Disposal’s land was included. Nathan never had a financial interest, even though it looked like he did.”

The EPD issued a permit in May, and construction should begin by the end of the year, said project engineer William Hodges of Hodges, Harbin, Newberry & Tribble in Macon.

“Nothing has really happened since May. We’re evaluating the recycling equipment and methods to put forth the best project possible,” Hodges said Thursday. “Until the equipment is selected, we don’t want to move forward with construction.”

Cronan didn’t return calls Thursday for comment about the project.

The old county landfill on the site, closed in 1983, was operated as a municipal solid-waste facility that accepted household, business and industry waste and doesn’t have a sanitary liner. Under a new law, all landfills of this type must be lined.

Cronan’s new business, a construction and demolition landfill, would accept Sheetrock, wood, metals, shingles, trees, brush, leaves, glass and plastic – items left from a construction site.

To build a new “green” recycling landfill, however, the EPD required Cronan to build a liner, remove the old waste or create the new landfill in areas that did not previously receive waste. By September 2008, Hodges talked to the EPD about making the new landfill a “green” project that would excavate the old site and recycle items. Any leftover trash would be buried in a lined cell.

“The project started to put a landfill on top of an old landfill and just put a liner on top, but as Cronan became more familiar with the potential of recycling, he made the decision to mine out the old landfill and recycle what’s in it,” Hodges said. “Clean it up instead of cover it up. We changed the whole process to the point where we’re removing the waste and potentially tainted soil and recycling everything we can.”

Hodges and Cronan are shopping for recycling equipment such as conveyor belts and grinders that break up the materials in the old landfill for easy identification.

Then wood, concrete, aluminum, steel and other items can be packaged for recycling and shipment.

“It’ll help to minimize the need for additional quarries in the state and the number of trucks on the road,” Hodges said, indicating that items recycled at the new landfill will be reused in Hall County. “Recycling only really works when used locally because it reduces transportation and air pollution.”

Wood that is recycled into chips can be used as a fuel source at local industries or as mulch in local parks, he said.

“Recycling of construction and demolition material is gaining lots of support, and Florida passed a law requiring it,” Hodges said. “In the last three years, we’ve seen a tremendous amount of movement toward recycling in the C&D market as the U.S. moves toward the idea of sustainability and using green products that don’t cause harm to the environment.”

Cronan and Hodges are ready to move forward with the initial recycling process that will sort the old landfill materials, which under EPD guidelines, must occur during colder months when the smell is less offensive.

“Soon we’ll have a pre-construction conference with the state EPD and site development work will begin, such as erosion control and various site monitoring systems for the wells and methane monitoring,” Hodges said. “As far as total construction, we haven’t decided exactly what comes first because we’re still working through the equipment.”

Most construction should be near completion by next summer, he said.

“Everything may not be done, but the main facility should be online by then,” Hodges said.

Staff writer Melissa Weinman contributed to this report

13. Lady Thinker says:

deal with his fingers in the pot AGAIN as he uses his office for personal gain for himself and a business partner!