Nearing Election Day, It Feels More Like Groundhog Day

The above is a Fox 5 Atlanta I-Team report from Dale Russell. A recap from the AP via AccessNorthGa includes:

ATLANTA – While Republican gubernatorial nominee Nathan Deal was in Congress, he and a top aide tried to persuade Hall County officials to take over maintenance of a private road that runs past Deal’s auto salvage yard and ends at another property Deal was seeking to rezone.

According to a report by WAGA-TV, Deal’s then-chief of staff Chris Riley sent e-mails to county officials on his House of Representatives e-mail account, inquiring about the effort. House ethics rules prohibit using government resources for private gain.

The station also said Deal appeared in person before county officials to start the process.

The road request was followed by a rezoning request by Deal’s auto salvage business to turn the 137 acres of property at the end of the road into a landfill. The property ended up being rezoned.

Sigh.

Discuss:

1. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

What difference does it make? He could be on the Sex Offender’s registry and we would still beat out Barnes simply because he has an R after his name.

In the end, however, a vote for Deal is really just a vote for Cagle (or Porter).

• center5 says:

You are sooooo right. Deal is going to win no matter what simply because he’s a Republican. So sad.

But just remember that a politican-gone-bad can never stop…they only get worse. They can’t help themselves. And Deal, especially, has been doing this stuff too long to stop it now. To him its just a benefit of the office that he’s entitled to. So two years from now, after he has had real power (executive power) for a couple years, those who do vote for Deal can spare me the “I can’t believe he’d do something like that” fake outrage.

ANYTIME a congressman’s attorney has to rest on the argument (with a straight face I might add) that he is a constituent of himself and can therefore have his chief of staff (on government time) pursuing local and state government officials for the congressman’s own business interests — you know he’s just as corrupt as can be.

Really, people, you call this stuff acceptable?

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

No one here really cares..and even if they did, I submit SB 31…..sigh.

Lets get ready for another 8 years of one step forward, two steps back…and I’m being generous.

No one is going to benefit from a Deal administration except for Deal..and his Chief of Staff.

• Lady Thinker says:

And the people living/working on the private road deal wants Hall County to pave at taxpayer’s expense. deal has come to believe the taxpayers owe and owe and owe money to him.

• B Balz says:

Mornin’ Sunshine,

Only 19 days for ‘over the top’ repetitious nonsense left before election day! Don’t waste a moment! Gives you plenty of time to creatively insult those who don’t agree with you pol point of view!

Have fun!

• B Balz says:

MARTA engages in complicated ‘sell-leaseback’ deals that most people, intuitively rejected as poorly structured financial transactions. Indeed, these transactions looked pretty unrealistic.

They turned out to work ‘as-advertised’. What if SB31 actually does save consumers money by pre-paying interest on the proposed nuke plant. I thought it was a terrible Bill, but what if?

• bowersville says:

I hope you’re right on that one. I took the time as a private citizen to attend a Georgia Power engineer’s presentation on why the nuclear plant was needed. He got down on our level and explained the technical aspects, answered questions and over all had a great presentation.

He was some what weak on questions concerning SB-31 though which was to be expected as it out of his area of expertise. A little better job of selling SB-31 may have been in order. But that’s kinda hard to do if the reports of blond headed lobbyist and others standing around the Gold Dome laughing at us is true.

• B Balz says:

It takes time or a revolution to change institutional thinking. Who knows what those ladies may have been laughing at — Certainly not an august and committed group like those that stood up against SB31…

2. inlimine says:

Deal’s sludge filled ethical pit is so deep and full, nothing even shocks anyone anymore. This is what our State has become. I agree with LIMH.

3. TPNoGa says:

Um, I don’t see anything wrong here (outside of improper use of email). Shoot, my sub-division has asked DeKalb county to take over our road.

If this is their big October surprise, it is a fail.

• Your subdivision… does it have more than 3 property owners on the roads you’re asking DeKalb county to cover? From my understanding this road has Deal’s salvage yard and 2 other businesses as the only occupants. (It’s more of a private road / shared driveway type thing.)

• Clint says:

Seriously? You don’t see what’s wrong with this?

For starters, it’s illegal for a Member of Congress to use staff, office equipment, etc for personal gain. Deal directed his Chief of Staff to intervene for his personal gain plain and simple.

This man has absolutely no respect for taxpayers and has now demonstrated a pattern of abusing his office for personal gain.

Deal doesn’t have Georgia’s best interests at heart and clearly doesn’t share our values. When corrupt politicians use their position for their own personal gain, it robs Georgians of opportunity.

• Doug Grammer says:

As stated by someone else, it’s illegal to drive more than the speed limit, but I am willing to bet you have done so. I have and just about everyone who reads this post has.

Are you so hyper-sensitive that it matters to you if Chris Riley sent and e-mail at 4:45 PM or 5:05 PM, or that he did it from a work computer verses a home computer? Assuming that’s true, did it cost the tax payers a dime, other than Chris not working on government issues at the time he sent an e-mail? Don’t you think that Chris has worked past 5 PM on taxpayer issues? or on weekends?

Get your priorities straight. Georgians need jobs! Gov. Barnes is proposing programs that will cost us another 2 billion in spending. Do you really think that’s in the best interest of Georgia? I know which issue is more important to me.

• Scott65 says:

It must be hard to be a loyalist these days in Georgia. Let me remind you the the CATO INSTITUTE (hardly a liberal bastian) rated Barnes as one of the best Governors in fiscal matters…one can hardly accuse Deal of that one now can we

• Lady Thinker says:

Are they the same ones that said deal was one of the worse, or was it one of the most corrupt, people of Congress?

• “Barnes is proposing programs that will cost us another 2 billion in spending.”

That’s a tired old line from the Deal campaign… and as Barnes said… I don’t trust Deal’s math right about now.

• Or perhaps the tax commissioner hadn’t appraised it correctly before he bought it in 2003 and was simply bringing it up to market value.

According to the Cobb County Tax Assessor the property is 70.5 acres. Is your contention that the property is indeed worth the $8919 that it was appraised at previous to his buying it? Or are you willing to possibly concede that perhaps just over 70 acres really is worth a bit over $400k or $500k (depending on which tax year you look at)?

You do realize of course that property taxes on a $500k property is a little higher than property taxes on an $8919 property, right?

• Also, I’m assuming you’re talking about the property located at 5690 Brown Road right? Anyone that wants to do a little bit of research on the property can look it up at cobbassessor.org or cobbtax.org. 🙂

• If he’s living comfortably without working, what does it matter whether he receives a paycheck from an employer of some sort? I guess technically Deal doesn’t currently have a job either, right? Perhaps you guys should find someone with a paying job as well then.

• I would imagine if John needed money that badly that he would probably look for a job. But other than the Governor’s race he’s not looking for a job. You know, Doug, some people say that money is not everything. That money can’t buy happiness. Have you ever considered that perhaps John just doesn’t need the extra money and that he’s happier raising his kids than if he were to hold a job outside the home? Or should everyone try to be the status quo household with 2.5 kids, 2 working parents, 2 car loans, a mortgage and piles of credit card debt? I guess since you’re actively promoting the party of status quo I already know what your answer is. I’m not sure I can get the point through to you that some people choose happiness over money.

• Doug Grammer says:

As I stated in another thread, Georgians want a Governor they can relate to. By Monds sitting at home when they can’t doesn’t look good for him.

They can’t relate to Gov. Barnes and all of his millions either.

• But let me guess… they can relate to a guy who has 2 state troopers drive him around everywhere and who has spent over $100k on air transportation using a private plane and private helicopter? Who for at least two years recently paid less than 3% of his income in federal income tax. Who conveniently forgot about the 2.5M in loans or so in his disclosures? Yeah… I guess I can see how the average Georgian can relate to that. (/sarcasm)

• gt7348b says:

From personal experience in state and local government and working for a company with government contracts, I forward any personal correspondence I may receive to my personal account and only send emails from work that are work or professionally related. As my mentor said “If you don’t want embarrass your mother when she reads it on the front page, don’t send it.” In other words – yes, using your government email for private considerations is actually something I do take seriously from my representatives and their staff.

4. TPNoGa says:

What are you guys reading that I am missing? I honestly don’t see anything wrong here. It doesn’t say he bribed them, or threatened them. He asked them.

• inlimine says:

“I honestly don’t see anything wrong here.”

One of the main reasons Deal’s gonna be our next Governor.

5. Three Jack says:

during work hours, the congressman used his taxpayer funded office and employee to work on his personal business….and you ask what is wrong here?

he is a repeat offender and shows no respect for the public office he held. it was all about personal gain…what can government do to help nathan deal. what a slimey pos!

• Doug Grammer says:

Does he have a clock that he punches in and out of? Does he work from 9 to 5 with an hour off for lunch? Does he work 40 hours a week?

Did he bribe anyone? Did he threaten anyone?

Or did he just ask that something be done?

As Kari stated, he doesn’t own the only business on that road, so it’s kind of hard to say that he would be only person benefiting from an action of a governmental authority that he has no direct control over.

Yes it is Groundhog’s Day, Charlie and the news have met another molehill they wish to turn into a mountain.

• Three Jack says:

in the middle of the business day from his congressional email address….there is no doubt that the congressman was abusing his office.

beyond all the financial shenanigans, i am still waiting for you to provide the highlights of deal’s 18 years in congress. what significant piece of legislation did he sponsor? what did he do to reduce the size and scope of the federal government (while he was voting to increase the debt ceiling to pay for nclb and med part d that he supported)?

• Clint says:

Doug, it is clearly against the rules of the House for a Member of Congress to use his taxpayer paid Congressional staff and office equipment for personal gain.

And yes, he did ask for something to be done. He asked for the county to take over maintenance of the private road.

By directing Riley to do this, Deal violated the rules of the House. Not only that, but it’s the second time that we now know of.

In no way is it a federal priority nor responsibility for Deal’s private road to be maintained by Hall County.

Clint,

You more or less said that you are a one issue voter or that you aren’t prepared to debate any of the other issues because you didn’t know where the candidates stand. On your one issue, high risk pools, you didn’t know where Congressman Deal stood.

You then you ask us to swallow the most unlikely thing I’ve heard in this whole election, that Gov. Barnes is more conservative than Congressman Deal. I’ve told you where both candidates stand on your one issue. Gov. Barnes supports Obamacare and Congressman Deal is open to forming high risk pools provided they make sense and aren’t required by the Federal government. Gov. Barnes thinks Obamacare is constitutional.

Who sounds more conservative on your one issue? Are you ready to compare the candidates on the other issues that matter to Georgians? Or are you just going to try make mountains out of molehills and bash?

• Doug Grammer says:

“Former Governor Barnes has good things to say about the federal health care law known as ObamaCare and he thinks federal courts will uphold the law. Former Congressman Deal has almost nothing good to say and he supports lawsuits to stop the law.”

Quote from Gov. Barnes, Oct 1, TCC debate: “(ObamaCare) is going to be upheld. They can require you to have automobile insurance. They require you to have workers comp. I think under general welfare provisions they can require you to do this.”

Gov. Barnes is in support of a tax on living.

• He never said he supported it. He said, as a practical matter, it would be upheld. I agree, it probably will be upheld. I don’t like that, but that’s a fact. It takes some nuance to understand that. I understand you lack the capacity for that.

Now, I’ll clear the floor for you to have the last word

• Doug Grammer says:

If he agrees with it being consitutional, he’s not planning on using our tax dollars to fight it. He’s not fighting it, he’s for it. I think there’s a good chance that many parts of it will be struck down when it makes it to SCOTUS. I’d love to say all of it, but I doubt that will happen.

• analogkid says:

So, by your logic, you’re for the parts of the HC bill that you think won’t be struck down.

• Doug Grammer says:

I might be, it depends on what is left. Like I said, all legislation has good and bad in it. The bad far outweighs the good in this case.

• AlanR says:

Barnes is a trial lawyer who has made millions since he left office and much of that has come from medmal awards. He’s not going change a thing.

Business will find Georgia a much less attractive place to do business.

• analogkid says:

OK, so again, I’m using your logic: Because you think parts of the bill will not be struck down, you’re (at least in part) in support of “Obamacare.”

As for whether Roy should fight a bill that he believes is bad policy (but constitutional), why would any fiscal conservative waste taxpayer money to fight a bill on constitutional grounds that he knows are likely to fail?

• Doug Grammer says:

Asked and answered. It depends on what parts are left.

I don’t think the challenges are likely to fail. Gov. Barnes’s logic, as cited, is flawed. No one required you to buy a car and then car insurance. If you are alive, King Roy think’s it’s OK for Obamacare to fine you for not buying something.

• analogkid says:

I guess you did answer my first question. You and Roy both support “Obamacare,” to varying degrees.

You did not however answer my second question. Is it fiscally conservative to challenge, on constitutional grounds, legislation that you believe to be constitutional?

• Doug Grammer says:

Yes. I might be able to support 10% of that bill, so varrying degrees is a correct term.

I did answer your question, you just didn’t like my answer. Your premise is that it is consitutional. I disagree with that.

• TPNoGa says:

Sorry, I don’t think it’s a big deal. If you are naive enough to believe that a majority of congressmen don’t do other business in their offices, I have some ocean front property in Douglas county to sell you.

I personally think most politicians use their office for personal gain. Deal is no worse then they are. It’s not that I think Deal is an innocent angel, it’s that I think all the other politicians are just as bad, no reason to punish Deal.

• TPNoGa says:

Let me repeat FTR, I am NOT a Deal fan. I did NOT vote for him, and I am NOT 100% sure I am going to vote for him. If there is a true, material scandal involving Deal, I will vote for someone else. But it’s gotta be bigger than asking about a road. C’mon guys, if you look at this objectively, there is nothing wrong here. It’s nothing.

• TPNoGa says:

Oh please. There is quite a difference between using an office/email and murder.

It’s more like a majority of drivers exceed the speed limit, that doesn’t disqualify them from being bus drivers.

• Three Jack says:

maybe that’s a stretch, but i hope you get the point. if we are going to make our politicians accountable, then we can no longer overlook transgressions with the rationalization that ‘they all do it’.

i find deal’s personal finances to be troubling. but more concerning to me is his lack of performance over 18 yrs. as a congressman. the guy really found a way to do nothing and still get re-elected…makes you wonder about his constituents in the 9th district.

• TPNoGa says:

I don’t disagree with you about Deal. I am not a fan. But, unfortunately, these are my only choices. Of the three choices I am given, Deal seems to me to be the lowest risk of raising taxes, increasing spending and agreeing to more regulation.

I really regret Johnson didn’t do better.

• Clint says:

TPNoGA there are Members of Congress in jail for abusing there Congressional Office for personal gain. In fact, two House Members are going on trial in November for doing exactly what Deal did.

The only reason Deal isn’t going on trial in the House is that he resigned at midnight to avoid it. It’s impossible to say that what Charlie Rangel or Maxine Waters did was wrong and not draw the same conclusion about Deal’s actions.

• Doug Grammer says:

Going on trial is a bit misleading by the fact the trial in conducted by the legislative branch and not the judicial branch. The charges against Congressman Rangel and Congresswoman Waters are nothing like the ones against Congressman Deal. Rangel and Waters are charged with breaking the law, while Deal was alleged to have broken house rules…quite a big difference.

The reason Deal isn’t going through anything at the federal level is so that he resigned so he could be our nominee. I dare anyone to say with a straight face that if Congressman Deal had not left congress that he would have still won the primary. (And that’s what REALLY bothers some people.)

• Three Jack says:

wrong answer doug. waters charges are very similar to those against deal involving favors for family members and using the influence of their respective offices. rangel stands alone with the most serious allegations.

deal resigned to avoid the inevitable ethics hearing. he would have been subject to the same hearings procedure as waters and rangel. facts doug.

• Facts? He ain’t got no time for no stinkin’ facts! Personally, (and maybe I’m a little weird) but I prefer my Congressman and/or prospective Governors to obey the law AND the House rules. But that’s just me.

• Doug Grammer says:

On page 26 of Congresswoman Waters OCE, Representative Waters was given an 18 U.S.c. § 1001 warning, and signed a written acknowledgement.

18 U.S.c. § 1001 is lying to government agents and is a law, not a house rule she is accused of violating…there is more that proves my point.

For Congressman Rangel, http://oce.house.gov/disclosures/Review_No_09-6333_Referral_To_Standards.pdf

Page 9 discusses the law being violated by the Carib News Foundation’s ability to pay for overseas travel of government officials and Rep. Rangel’s acceptance of such. Rangel told the OCE he was unaware of any such limitations. You know about the saying of ignorance of the law and all of that.

I have cited where the law was charged of being violated by Waters and Rangel from their OCE reports. You can’t do that with Congressman Deal because it isn’t there.

Facts are given. Admitance of being wrong about me being wrong on facts is awaited.

• Three Jack says:

deal never faced charges because he high-tailed it out of dc. had he been a man and faced the consequences of his actions, there surely would have been a charge of lying to congress.

• Lady Thinker says:

deal resigned, changed his mind, and resigned again. He felt that by leaving and costing his district a replacement election, costing his district even more money, that the ethics charges against him would be dropped. deal played that one right.

• Clint says:

Lady Thinker we need to talk.

Doug doesn’t like nor believe anything unless it is glowing praise for Nathan Deal. He has no concept for understanding facts so it’s a waste of time to debate, discuss, or respond to him.

Deal resigned before the next leg of the investigation. That’s a fact. Had he stayed, he’d be right there with Rangel and Waters. And the charges are almost identical – they used their Congressional offices for personal benefit.

• B Balz says:

Clint,

Are you suggesting that Rep. Deal is at all like Rangel and Waters? That is simply incredible.

We have all heard about transgressions, poor judgment, bad Bills, for those two for decades, but nothing in the same vein about Rep. Deal. Why is that? Perhaps it is not true, that’s why.

You two should talk, maybe you can straighten this whole election out in the next few weeks. Put it in a memo…

Angry pixels don’t win votes.

• AlanR says:

If there were possible criminal acts OCE would have referred the matter to the Justice and the FBI, and posted an explanation on the OCE website.

This is how they handled the PMA lobbying investigation. In the statement about the referral they did not name any individuals.

AlanR,

Not all crimnial acts are prosecuted. The OCE reports on Waters and Rangel point out that laws may have been broken, but that doesn’t mean that there is proof enough to get a conviction. The OCE did not alledge that Congressman Deal broke any laws.

Clint,

I understand your desire not to debate, discuss, or respond with me. I’ve shown where you didn’t know where one of the candidates (you admitted such) didn’t stand on YOUR ISSUE, but you have the temerity to proclaim that Gov. Barnes is more conservative, and refuse to discuss the other issues because you don’t know enough about where the candidates stand. Even after I’ve explained to you what I perceived their positions to be, you still won’t man up and admit the Gov. Barnes is not as conservative as Deal on YOUR ISSUE.

It’s kind of hard to debate with your foot in your mouth. Either you know enough to decide who is conservative or you don’t. Other than a ranking of governors, do you have any proof at all of any conservatism out of Gov. Barnes? And if you find it, can you prove he’s more conservative than Congressman Deal? I expected much more from you than running from talking about the issues that most Georgians care about.

You don’t know enough about jobs, transportation, water, illegal immigration, taxes to discuss them? You can’t back up your claim of who is more conservative. And you say I don’t understand facts?

Anyone in congress under investigation is going to fall into the category of used their office for personal benefit. Give us an example of someone under investigation in congress who doesn’t fall into that category. You make like to say Congressman Deal and Rangel in the same sentence, but that doesn’t mean it’s appropriate to do so.

• Holly says:

I’m horrified by this comment.

I assure you, I do not conduct personal business for my boss during office hours. I have never been asked to do so by any Member I’ve worked for, and I don’t think it’s at all normal to be asked to do so.

I hate seeing good people in office take the blame for the unsavory actions of the corrupt politicians who stick in our memories for their misdeeds. It’s not most of them. And I hope – even after working in the field for years – that I never get to the place where it’s okay for me to support someone or work for someone who violates ethics rules just because “everyone does it.”

6. KariDee says:

There are other businesses on the road. That is the point that is only made once in the segment. The road not only gets people to work, it also has transfer truck and delivery truck traffic on it.

• Clint says:

Then why didn’t the other businesses make the request? There would have been nothing wrong with that.

When Deal’s Chief of Staff made the request at Deal’s bequest he broke the law – plain and simple. And it was the second time that Deal used his Congressional Office for his own personal gain – that we know of.

Deal is just too corrupt for Georgia and his abuse of the public trust robs regular Georgians of opportunity for the rest of Georgia.

• Doug Grammer says:

There’s nothing wrong with the Congressman making the rquest either Clint. It wasn’t illegal or unethical regardless of how you try to spin it. If you are going to make the accusation, please cite the law that Chris broke….. not a house rule, a law.

You aren’t deabting the issues…jobs, water, transportation, and so on… because you know your candidate isn’t as conservative or as good for Georgia as Congressman Deal is.

• Three Jack says:

debating issues, that’s a laugher! i’ve asked you on multiple occasions to tell us what significant legislation deal sponsored and passed while wasting 18 years in congress (apparently spending significant time working on personal business).

i do know he vote for nclb and medicare part d, both costing generations of taxpayers trillions of dollars. explain how those votes were cast by a fiscal conservative doug.

jay bookman nailed it, “In a 17-year career in Congress, most of it as a member of the Republican majority, Deal sponsored no successful legislation of any importance, rose to no leadership position and developed no expertise or focus on any issue. He walked through the halls of Congress while leaving no footprint, and is likely to do the same in the Capitol.”

three jack,

You have asked for congressman Deal’s legislative record a total of twice, all within the last 24 hours so don’t make sound like there’s a big conspiracy to keep information from you. If you are just too lazy to look it up, I may post something for you before the weekend. It’s been posted on PP before.

All legislation has good and bad in it. I still think that CLLB was good in the fact it put accountability on funds coming from the federal level. I’d rather not send the money to Washington to begin with, but we take what we can get.

• Three Jack says:

no doug, i have asked for a deal supporter to tell us what significant legislation deal sponsored and passed while wasting 18 years in congress. not his ‘legislative record’.

i did look it up and discovered that deal is equally successful in his legislative career as in his personal finances….borrow and spend.

• Clint says:

No Child Left Behind was based on what Governor Bush did in Texas and was also the basis for Barnes reforms in GA.

Seriously Doug, using your Congressional Office for personal benefit is inappropriate, unethical, and illegal.

• You would have thought Deal had requested an 8 lane super highway… From what’s reported he simply was requesting to turn the road over to the county so they could maintain it. It looks like all the protocols were followed with the exception of the email being sent from Riley’s House email.

Deal is in a no win situation on this win. The fiction has become the fact. He’s allowed Barnes to define him with little rebuttle. I wish Deal would fire back with the $19,000,000 in 4 years, the judicial appointment issue, suing the state over the election law, his own sweetheart property tax deals, his attempt to pressure the Putnam County Sheriff etc.. It’s not like Barnes is a choir boy. This man cashed in big time.

• Three Jack says:

maurice…even better would be for deal to spend some time explaining what he has been doing for the past 17 years besides wasting taxpayers dollars pursuing personal business from his congressional office.

i have concluded based on doug, maurice, luke, et al that the gop is left with only one talking point about their candidate…’he ain’t as bad as king roy’. pitiful.

7. inlimine says:

Randy Evans just makes me want to vomit, too. What a tool. And he serves on the State Election Board but can represent Deal in such a fashion? Par for the course, I suppose.

8. ricstewart says:

I’m willing to believe there’s no wrongdoing involved, but if that’s the case, why did Nathan Deal turn and run away like a little girl last night after the debate.? (No offense to the little girl community.)

9. TPNoGa says:

I am curious, why don’t we ever see any negative story about Barnes? Seriously, is he really that perfect? Just seems odd to me.

• Because Barnes, to his credit, has established the game. NO ONE is talking issues, that’s not sexy. My guess is that the tap is about to dry up on Deal, that’s why they were so giddy about a non-issue.

Deal needs to put out an “enough” ad, like the runoff.

10. B Balz says:

NEWSFLASH:

I heard a known Congressional staffer passes gas in the Longworth Building elevator, several times over a period of years. If this trend continues, OCE will investigate. Stay tuned.

Charlie, save the Hail Mary’s for Sunday, OK?

I gotta go, y’all argue amongst yourselves.

11. Clint says:

Guys, OCE is not a bunch of Democrats the way that Deal would like for you to believe. It is co-chaired by the former head of the CIA and very well respected Republican Member of Congress Porter Goss. Additionally, the parties each have 4 appointments for a total of 8 members. The panel voted unanimously to forward the complaints regarding Deal to the House Ethics Committee for a full investigation.

They also forwarded at around the same time complaints regarding Maxine Waters and Charlie Rangel. And both will go on trial in the House in November. Deal resigned to avoid the full investigation and still hasn’t come clean about his abuse of his Congressional office.

You can make light of these things, but they are exactly the types of abuse of office and the public trust that Republicans have been up in arms about for years, yet are now making excuse after excuse for Deal.

• TPNoGa says:

Clint,

I hear you, I really do. However, of the choices I have available to me, Deal is the one I choose to make (so far). I know he is shady, but there are other issues that are more important to me (I know I am going to catch heck for that). Taxes, economy, reapportionment, and yes, giving the finger to Reid, Pelosi, Obama and the DNC. Those are issues I put ahead of what Deal has done. You may not agree, but that is how I feel. I may live to regret my choice (I voted for Arnold in CA….Twice), but that is a risk I am willing to live with. Sorry.

• Doug Grammer says:

Deal resigned so he would win the GOP nomination. Tell us with a straight face that if he had not resigned that he would have still won. Is that what really bothers you?

• Doug Grammer says:

Yep, he would have been cleared of that, but the time spent on it would have sunk him because he wasn’t campaigning in Georgia.

• Clint says:

Doug, he would have lost – because it would have exposed everything that has since come out about his repeated abuse of his office for personal gain. He would not have been cleared because the proof is in plain black and white in copies of the emails.

I think most Republicans would tell you if they knew THEN what they KNOW NOW they would have voted differently.

• Doug Grammer says:

He would have lost because he wasn’t campaigning in Georgia. Do you really think there would not be attacks on Sec. Handel, Sen. Johnson, or Com. Oxendine had they won the nomination? You don’t think that after those attacks came out, some people would wish they had voted differently?

If you ever become a Georgia state patrolman, I’ll have to stay 1 mile under the speed limit from now on. You really want to focus on what time an e-mail was sent and from which computer and opposed to talking about JOBS? I would as well, if my candidate didn’t have a plan as good as my candidate’s opponent.

12. Three Jack says:

the hits keep on coming….from the ap — “The documents, obtained through open records requests, show Deal tried in 2005 to persuade Attorney General Thurbert Baker to interpret state law so the landfill could move forward. They also indicate Deal’s top congressional aide was keeping close tabs, communicating with state officials through his U.S. House e-mail account.”

i think the press could do a shorter story about the state officials deal did not contact in pursuit of personal gain.

13. It’s amazing how all Nathan Deal’s altruistic behavior (“keeping roads safe” and “helping the other businesses” by getting that road paved) always seems to line his pockets also. Weird.

• Buckhead, NO ONE requested a road to be paved. Their’s a HUGE difference in turning a private road over to the county to be maintained. Heck, we’ve got gravel roads that the county routinely maintains in Bibb County. From the photos of this road, it appears to be similar.

When a group of citizens turn a private road over to the county, the county generally will want it in whatever standards it has established. Then, if there is pavement that is laid, those same property owners pay for the paving through an increase in their taxes.

This issue is completely being blown out of proportion. The only violation of protocols was the submission of the email from Riley’s House computer. If the gotcha reporter had a hint of understanding of how local governments work, this wouldn’t be airing. To me, it is quite apparent that they have run out of mud to throw at Deal. The shelf life of Barnes’ attacks is wearing off.

• You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. In 159 counties across the state of Georgia, development occurs. The property owners surrounding the roadway ceded to the county will pay the taxes for it’s maintenance. In order for a private road to become public, the owners petition P&Z and the Commission, which is what appears to have happened. What pray tell is sinister about that?

Your point is illegitimate as it is made in complete ignorance of the process.

14. Progressive Dem says:

Deal never sees the line between ethical and unethical behavior. He has crossed it so many times. I look for two qualities in selecting candidates and they are same I use for choosing a mechanic. They have to be honest and smart.

15. center5 says:

Just saw Part II of the report on Fox 5 tonight. Even worse.

But Deal will still be the next Governor. Sadly, the “R” next to his name seems to make this kind of stuff acceptable to enough people.

Deal is telling you what he is. So don’t blame him years from now when this stuff starts rolling out of the State Capitol.

16. fishtail says:

Interesting argument made by Randy Evans.
    Logically extended, under this argument every Member of Congress may use Congressional Office Resources to help a Member’s private business interests because the Member, as a private citizen, is a constituent of the Member, as a Congressman or Congresswoman.
    I guess the question is what the Congressional Oversight Office has to say about this argument and if this argument is valid, then what is left of the Rule against using Congressional Office Resources for a Member’s private business interests – seems to me, very little would be left – surprised this argument has not been used before and, if so and the argument is not valid, why Congress has not clarified the Rule to prohibit the Member from treating himself or herself as a constituent to circumvent the Rule.

And then there is the question as to whether Georgia voters care anymore and whether they are so jaded about politicians and integrity that they are numb to this type of issue even if they should not be insensitive.

Do not remember Roy having been accused of using his office for his direct personal gain – just accused of helping supporters and friends (Andrew Jackson saw nothing wrong with this approach).

• I’d say you can call him a tax cheat if he did it intentionally. From my understanding, he owns several pieces of property on that same road and this one was sold a couple of years ago. We’re talking a very small portion of Roy’s income here. It’s not like he conveniently forgot about an extra $2.5M or so in loans or something. Seems I saw somewhere recently that Roy paid more in taxes than Deal made for several years.

• TPNoGa says:

Oh, I don’t believe he did it on purpose. I was trying to emulate some other posters who take something pretty small and turn it into some serious mud to throw at who they don’t like.

17. Dawgfan says:

The worst part of the whole thing is he actually says he was doing it on behalf of a constituent HIMSELF. That has got to be one of the biggest FU’s to the intelligence of the people of Georgia ever. But the absolute worst part is that it won’t change a thing.

18. ZazaPachulia says:

Anyone here listen to hip hop? I’ve got a new nickname for Nathan “Sweetheart” Deal: “The Teflon Don.” This old fraud is still leading in the polls despite being repeatedly exposed as the crook he is.

Rapper Rick Ro$$ named his recent album “Teflon Don” because, like Deal, Ro$$ has seen his popularity actually increase since being outed as a total fraud. It’s like nothing can touch either of them. Ro$$ originally claimed to be a cocaine kingpin in his music — and still raps about being a drug dealer, yet right before his last album, “Deeper than rap” hit the shelves, Ro$$ was outed as a former corrections officer in the Florida prison system. So what did he do? He just ignored the truth and dropped the album anyway. And surprisingly (considering his past efforts), “Deeper than Rap” was really good. Critics loved it, even though the lyrics were so obviously B.S. Yet, Ro$$ wisely surrounded him with some of the best producers on the planet (J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League, The Inkredibles, Randy Evans, Brian Robinson, etc.) and was credited by some critics as inventing a totally new sub-genre called “Symphonic Rap.”

So Ro$$ named his next album “Teflon Don,” which is the nickname Deal seems to be gunning for.

19. CobbRes says:

If Crooked Deal were in the running for a senior level position in a major corporation the chances are the corporation would run a credit check on him. After a review of the check he most likely would not be selected for the job as a senior executive. And now he has a possibility of being the CEO of Georgia? Is not good for the future of this great State. We certainly do not need a crook and a slippery snake as Governor.