Keown, Bishop debate in SW Georgia

Last evening, Mike Keown and Sanford Bishop hunkered down for a debate. Bishop’s main point is that he’s a political insider.

Bishop, who sits on the House Appropriations Committee, said he’s helped secure money locally for agriculture research and for new roads and sewers that allow local chicken processing plants to operate in the district. He said he helped shield local military bases from closure.

“I’m in a position not only to have a seat at the table, but to help slice that pie into portions worthy of the needs of the people of the 2nd Congressional District,” Bishop said.

Keown’s main point, especially during his closing remarks, was decidedly different, noting that Bishop votes with Nancy Pelosi 97.7% of the time…among other things:

1. inlimine says:

Some of these GOP guys would be bad off if it wasn’t for Barry and Miss Nancy in their ads and speeches. Thank goodness they have something to offer the voters by way of deflection and innuendo.

• polisavvy says:

I believe that some of their comments are perfectly in line when criticizing both the President and Pelosi. Some things are justified.

• Doug Grammer says:

I agree, but Rep. Keown was focusing on Congressman Bishop. If most of the voters of the 2nd CD see that closing speech before they vote, there will be a new congressman in SW Georgia.

2. Baker says:

Good find on that one, I’m falling down on the job over here. What’s up with not one Georgia paper having this? Obviously I checked Columbus’ and Albany’s papers this morning and I just checked again and they got nothing. The San Francisco Examiner? Darn it. Nothing new for the local guys or what? Did I just miss their coverage somehow? It’s definitely not on the front page of their sites.

3. Mike Hauncho says:

That was a great closing statement. I wish Mike the best and look forward to calling him Congressman.

4. slyram says:

Let’s keep Charles Hatcher out of this…. It wasn’t really a House bank and plenty folks down here have fond memories of his congressional service. Full disclosure: CH hired me in 1990.