Jim Marshall: I don’t support Nancy Pelosi (except when I do)

New ad out from Jim Marshall:

I wonder how Jim Marshall can explain how a vote for Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House is actually a vote against Nancy Pelosi. Or how supporting card check and TARP, things Pelosi champions, is actually him charting a different course.

1. Andre says:

Here’s an even more important question for one of Jim Marshall’s most prominent supporters, Democratic activist Amy Morton.

Morton is the chair of Georgia’s Win List, an organization dedicated to “recruiting, training, supporting and electing progressive Democratic women.”

With Jim Marshall running away from the nation’s first female Speaker of the U.S. House like she’s got the dreaded scarlet letter emblazoned on her chest, how does Morton reconcile Marshall’s opposition to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi with her organization’s stated goal of “supporting and electing progressive Democratic women?”

• polisavvy says:

I wonder how long you’ll be waiting for an answer to this one? I’d like to hear a response/justification as well. Unfortunately, Ms. Morton seems to be too involved in “other issues.”

• polisavvy says:

That was wonderfully written. I doubt we’ll ever have those three questions answered, though. I do want to know her big interest in the divorce papers. I worked in the legal field for 24 years and have seen more than my fair share of divorces. A divorce involves two parties — a plaintiff and a defendant. Either party, the plaintiff or the defendant, can request that a divorce be sealed. None of us know who requested the sealing of the papers. You know what happens when people assume too much — it makes an ASS of U and ME. She could end up being that ass.

I spoke with a friend of mine who happens to be a judge here. He indicated to me that he would not release a sealed divorce to a third party when that third party could pass any information obtained off to a fourth party PARTICULARLY when there is child involved. In my opinion, this is going to end up being a Chinese fire drill which was just a way to try to get Austin Scott off his game. Problem with that big plan is I don’t think anything is going to get Austin Scott off his game.

2. slyram says:

Pete: I saw this ad last night I thought I was having a freaking nightmare. With friends like this, Barrow, Bishop, Barnes and the other Dems don’t need the other side.

I had to “go off” on my blog about this one.

3. Goldwater Conservative says:

I am not going to defend or oppose Jim Marshall on this particular point, which I direct at Pete Randall.

Very simply, any person who does not understand the consequences of voting against their own party’s nomination for Speaker is likely too ignorant to be taken seriously as a pundit.

• TheEiger says:

And that comment is exactly what is wrong with the folks in DC. We need people who will think for themselves and not just hope to be put on a “good” committee if they vote for someone.

• polisavvy says:

Thank you, TheEiger. I agree with you 100%. I would much rather prefer that my Congressman or Senator think for themselves than be led around like a horse with a lead. I want them looking out for OUR best interests not THEIR best interest.

• B Balz says:

When what we want, is, we shall want no more.

I want pols to act in concert, without any ethical lapses, to efficiently resolve our Nation’s greatest problems.

What is, is a terribly gridlocked, inefficient morass of partisanship that brought us the healthcare bill as a solution.

I shall want no more when they plant me in the ground.

• polisavvy says:

Very funny post!! Also, a little sad. I guess I expect too much, huh? A little backbone. A pair of brass ones. A non-behind kisser. Oh well, maybe one day — maybe in 20 days!

• Goldwater Conservative says:

The Founders wanted gridlock in Congress.

It is as efficient as any 535 way negotiation will ever be.

• Goldwater Conservative says:

No. There is nothing wrong with the way Congress works or how politics in DC work. They work as intended. You just do not like some of the outcomes or people in Congress.

• B Balz says:

Perhaps. Can you help me understand how anyone likes the fact that Congress has used the Social Security cash fund up, and now WE THE PEOPLE have to face the mucous?

• And you, Goldwater Conservative, must understand the ramifications of choosing the wrong political party. Are we supposed to believe Jim Marshall was just walking down the street when he was suddenly struck by a bolt of you-must-immediately-and-unquestioningly-be -a-Democrat lightning?

Marshall chose to be a member of that party and he knew what Nancy Pelosi was like every one of the four times he voted for her to be House Speaker.

And the consequences of Marshall’s poor decisions will result in his being a former member of Congress in 2011.

• polisavvy says:

Be careful what you say to GC or, if you disagree with him, he’ll call you ignorant (like he did me).

• Thanks for the warning, poli; I’m just a dumb country boy anyway. But, just to show I’m not a bad guy, I’ll quote a self-proclaimed Democrat and agree with that quote 100%:

“We’re all ignorant, just on different subjects” – Will Rogers

• polisavvy says:

Good one, Ken! I’ll have to keep that in mind. I just have a problem with personal attacks on a blog. We should all have a right to voice our opinions or throw out ideas without someone calling any of us ignorant or making their rants a personal attack. So unnecessary and counterproductive.

4. polisavvy says:

So, Marshall’s going to be holding a press conference later today to announce that he will not be supporting Pelosi for Speaker. Wasn’t it just last week that Pelosi gave them all permission to do whatever it takes to win? It’s similar to voting “no” on the health care bill to save face in the district yet refusing to sign for the repeal of the health care bill. How can you be against the health care bill but refuse to repeal it? You can’t have it both ways, Mr. Marshall. I certainly hope that educated voters don’t fall for this or fall into his trap!!

• Goldwater Conservative says:

Why is it saving face? This is really the problem with how politics tends to work in America.

Marshall does what you want and you find a way to dislike him for it. We call it motivated reasoning. What makes you think you are an educated voter? All you want is a republican in office and then you probably will not care what he or she does. Afterall, for you, if a Democrat votes against the health care bill he is just saving face, but if a republican does it they are acting with principle.

You are very ignorant. Get over yourself.

• Doug Grammer says:

Will Congressman Marshall be explaining why he voted Pelosi for Speaker twice?

Which Dem would he plan to support?

• Doug,

He has voted for her four times. Sadly, he was successful in getting her elected the last two.

Marshall mentioned on WMAZ-TV (Macon) last night that he was looking at supporting Missouri Democrat Ike Skelton. Of course that’s in the Dem caucus.

I’m convinced Marshall will not be re-elected, but if he were, I’m also convinced he would vote for Pelosi over Boehner to be Speaker.

• polisavvy says:

Let’s talk about “saving face.” First of all, saving face is defined two different ways: something that prevents loss of dignity or self-esteem or maintaining dignity or prestige. You think that Congressman Marshall wants to lose an election? Don’t you think it would be quite a blow to his already inflated ego if he were to do so? Winning at all cost seems to be his modus operandi (i.e., requesting the parents of Austin Scott’s divorce papers; having supporters want to unseal the divorce records of Austin Scott). Talk about dirty politics. Plus, we remember the blatant lies he told the last time around about his opponent. Please, don’t try to make him out as something he’s not. We aren’t buying it.

I don’t engage in personal attacks; however, to say that I am ignorant is absolutely something I think goes beyond the pale. Until you called me ignorant, I don’t believe anyone has ever used that expression to describe me in my 56 years of existence. Of course, with some of the rants you put out on here, I guess I should just consider the source. I have too much class to behave in such a matter. I try to use decorum and restrain to not behave badly on here. I always try to remember that I’m a mother and a wife, and not some hussy who has no problem getting down and dirty.

Further, ignorance would imply that I am totally uninformed. Just so you know, I read as much as I possibly can on a daily basis about what’s going on in politics. I’m a junkie. I don’t just watch Fox News. I watch CNN and MSNBC. I don’t just read The Drudge Report. I read The Huffington Post, Politico, Red State, and the AJC. I’m not some stay at home housewife who has no clue what is going on in the world. I make it a point to stay informed. I read the spin of both sides and then form my own damn opinion!

I don’t just want a republican in office. I want a Congressman in office who will actually try to not be part of the problem with excessive spending of my still not yet thought of granchildren’s future. Marshall has done that very thing. He has voted away the country’s future. Rather or not you believe he has appears to be your opinion. I just happen to disagree with you.

Just so you know, the first Republican I ever voted for in my whole life was “W.” I vote for the person, not the party. I’m not some crazed right-wing nut, okay? I did not vote for Cagle, I voted for Porter. If you like Jim Marshall, then say so. If you don’t like Austin Scott, then say so; however, you have absolutely no right whatsoever to call anyone who happens to disagree with you ignorant. Just remember, ignorant is as ignorant does.

• Poli,

Don’t expect an apology. When a person calls someone they do not know – and doesn’t even do homework to learn anything – “ignorant,” then they are merely parading their own ignorance before the entire world.

A quick perusal of your posts would have killed the “ignorant” label.

• polisavvy says:

I would never want or accept an apology from anyone who is so nasty an individual. Like I said in my response to GC, “ignorant is as ignorant does.” Thanks for your kind words, too.

• Doug Grammer says:

I think Austin Scott needs to hold a press conference as well, explaining why he won’t be voting Congresswoman Pelosi for Speaker either.

5. Poor Aesop! He didn’t know that in the future leopards would have access to make-up and television. Of course, it is just the appearance that Marshall has changes his spots.

Jim Marshall will say anything to get elected. Does anyone doubt that anymore?

• polisavvy says:

Absolute not — he’s saying whatever he thinks WE want to hear. I guess he forgot that many of us heard Pelosi say last week for them to do whatever it takes to win. I guess that could mean changing your spots; however, how do we know that would be the case if he’s re-elected? I’ve learned that talk is cheap. He’s peddling about three cents worth, in my opinion.