Jim Marshall flails about in the last, desperate throws of a doomed campaign

After supporting Nancy Pelosi myriad times and voting for her as Speaker of the House twice, now Jim Marshall wants you to know he’s seen the light. Absolutely. Yup, less than four weeks out from election day…as he sinks in the polls…now he’s announced he won’t be supporting her anymore as Speaker (as if her remaining in that role was even a possibility in 2011 to begin with).

U.S. Rep. Jim Marshall said Wednesday he has cast his last vote for Nancy Pelosi to lead the House Democrats.

“My candidate’s going to be somebody who’s a centrist, preferably somebody who’s going to be speaker of the entire House” who will work with both parties, Marshall said.

He also said he had no alternatives when casting his vote for speaker of the House. If Pelosi keeps her position, Marshall said he doesn’t expect retaliation for his announcement.

Oh, of course not. Curious that he felt now was the time to announce that he thought Pelosi wasn’t working and playing well with others. Where has he been the last four years?

But why should Middle Georgia continue to hire and re-hire someone who says they are conservative but then has supported Pelosi so often in the past? Why not instead hire someone who has been conservative from the beginning? Someone, say, like Austin Scott?

Pronouncements like these are the surest sign the end is nigh for Mr. Marshall and that he can soon return to teaching law at Mercer University.

Private William Hudson just e-mailed in a brief video report from Marshall’s campaign headquarters on the status of the re-election effort:

1. Doug Grammer says:

“Marshall said he doesn’t expect retaliation for his announcement.”

That’s because he won’t be in congress.

• polisavvy says:

I hope Steny’s not trying to make room in his office for the witch’s huge a$$ed gavel. She’ll be passing it to a Republican.

• Obviously you missed the part where Jim “I’ll SAY anything” Marshall is strongly considering Ike Skelton for Speaker. Not that it matters, he won’t be in Washington anyway.

Marshall also said people have talked to him about becoming the Speaker. I would have liked to have heard the punch line. I’ll bet that joke is a doozy!

• polisavvy says:

He might should reconsider that thought (IF he wins). Apparently, as was reported on The Drudge Report yesterday, a Democrat in Alabama crossed Pelosi one time too many and now has had funds cut. Pelosi’s a witch!!

2. analogkid says:

Three posts on GA-8 today. Would have been nice if PP had attempted to “move heaven and earth” for Austin’s gubernatorial campaign instead. He’ll make a good congressman though, so I can’t complain too much.

[/sour grapes]

• TPNoGa says:

Can you imagine how big a lead Austin would have over Barnes. I’m thinking 20 points.

Oh well, dare to dream.

• polisavvy says:

Do you not feel that a comment like that is rather vulgar? I certainly do and, being a woman, am totally insulted. It seems to me that if, in fact, you worked so closely with Austin Scott that perhaps you work at the Capitol. If so, do you really think you should be posting during office hours like you are prone to do? I have noticed you posting in the morning, afternoon, and evening. I think the tax payers’ money should not be spent on such things. As a matter of fact, I have an idea who you are and where you work. Perhaps you should lay off these types of comments or, better yet, be cautious posting during State hours and taking advantage of tax payers. Furthermore, comments that denigrate women should not be allowed on Pundit. And yes, referencing a man as a douche bag is also an insult to women.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

You’re right, I was way out of line with that comment. I’m sorry and I’d delete it if I could. 🙁

• polisavvy says:

That’s okay, Loyalty. I accept your apology; but, I do wish you would consider the fact that there are also women who post on here. It’s not a “boys only” blog. Are we still blogging buddies? LOL! 😉

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Regardless of whether there are women here or not, it was just a crude post on my part. But thank you for being forgiving.

• polisavvy says:

It’s just my nature. I always give someone the benefit of the doubt and a right to apologize. Your apology is sincerely accepted and thank you for it.

• analogkid says:

Loyalty:

I’m assuming your retraction only applies to the method you used, not the allegation. I’d be interested to know the details of why you don’t like Austin. I’ve never met him, and I don’t live in his district, so this is really just for my own edification.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Nah, I won’t go there anymore analogkid. See Ken in Eastman’s comment above. Besides, I shouldn’t be personally attacking someone anonymously here, even if I don’t like them.

3. John Konop says:

I have a question for Peter will you demand that Congressman Austin Scott not vote for any leadership positions for House Republican leader, Rep. John Boehner (Ohio), Rep. Mike Pence (Ind.), Rep. Eric Cantor (Va.), the House Republican whip, Rep. Pete Sessions (Tex.), Michele Bachmann (Minn.)…..who voted with PELOSI close to 60 % of the time?

I support Austin but this is a non-issue debate over focusing on real issues like jobs, entitlements, education…….

…..Boehner has voted with the Democratic leadership 52 percent of the time in 2010. So has Rep. Mike Pence (Ind.), chairman of the Republican conference and former head of the conservative Republican Study Committee.

Rep. Eric Cantor (Va.), the House Republican whip, and Rep. Pete Sessions (Tex.), head of the GOP’s House campaign committee, are even cozier with Pelosi. They’ve voted with her 57 percent of the time.

And Rep. Michele Bachmann (Minn.), the conservative firebrand who has compared the Democratic agenda to socialism? She’s with Pelosi on 58 percent of House votes…..

• seenbetrdayz, Ph.D. says:

Interesting points, JK.

I think that the democrat congress critters are much better at getting the republican critters to do what the democrats want, than the republicans are at getting democrats to do what the republicans want.

That’s not necessarily a good thing; in past-held majorities, the republicans either haven’t been very persuasive or they haven’t been holding their ground, or both.

• drjay says:

i don’t have any group ratings in front of me, but those voted with 58% of the time stats are can be very misleading. if you count every vote, you are going to get inflated “vote with” numbers because of the vast array of noncontraversial. unimportant yaya that gets voted on, it literally takes an act of congress to name a post office, i believe they take recorded votes to recess, adjourn, to honor october 14 as pig farmer appreciation day, etc…also there is strategic voting on part of the leadership (where a party leader votes for something his disagrees with to have a right to reintroduce the subject at a later date–convoluted i know, and i may not be stating it exactly correct)–that why taking a group you like and agree with–like the chamber of commerce or christian coalition or aclu or whatever and seeing how a member votes on legislation they consider key is a much better indicator of “how similar” members are–or, i suppose, creating your own list of “important votes” and ranking members yourself, if yo have the time and inclination…

• John Konop says:

You mean like the Highway bill, Farm bill, No Child Left behind….. that had bipartisan support? 🙂

I am no fan of Pelosi but the Boehner crowd is not much different. New spin but the same BS! The GOP Boehner plan is more of the same. Did you read it?

• drjay says:

i’m not saying the current gop is a panacea, or that they don’t need to do some things differently, no i have not read the bohner plan, i was speaking in a much more general sense–assuming a good chunk of these new gop’s get elected with support from tea parties and after some “oldtimers” have been beat in primaries and such, they are not going to have the luxury of playing the same old game without risking the same fate…

• John Konop says:

drjay,

You are much more optimistic about the situation than me. It smells like the old crowd with new spin but same agenda to me. Hey I could be wrong. The main reason I like Austin is he definitely seems like an independent thinking outsider.

• drjay says:

well, i’m not optimistic or pessimistic, just looking at what has been happening around the country–when establishment folks like castle and bennett and crist and murkowski lose out to folks like rubio and o’donnell an miller–it’s pretty clear that the voters do not expect same old same old–if these folks are willing to listen to the jim demint’s of the world more than the johm boehner’s there could be a real change in what happens on the hill–but no it’s certainly not a guarantee…

• polisavvy says:

Come on, John. This particular story was spawned by Jim Marshall holding the presser yesterday denouncing Pelosi in order to save face in the district. We all know that. The outlandish statements made by Pelosi has caused all the criticism of anyone who voted for her. The one which probably has raised the most ire of the people of the 8th, and the county, was “let’s pass it (health care bill) and then find out what’s in it.” None of us want to hear that type of rhetoric from those in D.C. The fact is, his vote was what it was, and his other votes are what they are. He can’t unring the bell and it’s too late to turn back the hands of time.

4. Pappy says:

It’s “throes,” not “throws.” But I wouldn’t expect them to teach spelling at Glenn Beck University. Plus it must be hard for you to concentrate on anything other than venting anger at black politicians.

5. polisavvy says:

Bet ‘ole Jimmy’s glad he’s distancing himself from Pelosi now. I just read on Drudge where she and her family’s flights have cost us $2.1 mil. That is totally ridiculous. Something has to give regarding this type of waste PERIOD.

6. slyram says:

If Marshall can talk about be buddy buddy with GOP leaders, he opens the door for Obama supporters to send the president debate-minded GOP members of congress. Yesterday, President Obama said Rep. Paul Ryan is the type conservative with whom he could work on budget matters. Check the date on my blog post saying the same thing.

I called it during March 2009 and three months after saying Austin should take on Marshall. Ryan and Scott would be good for the nation.