RCP On Georgia Governor’s Race.

The Real Clear Politics average for the Georgia Governor’s race says Deal is at 47.3% and Barnes is at 39.3%. Yesterday RCP offered this analysis:

10/10/10 — Sure enough, Barnes’ numbers have remained mired in the low 40s, while Deal is starting to approach 50 percent. This isn’t over by a longshot, but it really looks as if Barnes is just the wrong candidate running in the wrong year.

Discuss.

1. Charlie says:

As bad as I believe Republicans screwed up in selecting their nominee, the Democrats did an arguably worse job. Most apologists for the GOP ticket can only point to how bad Roy was as Governor. For many, that is an effective argument.

• rightofcenter says:

Was this really necessary for you to post – again? You have stated this over and over. LET THE RECORD SHOW: ZAZAPACHULIA WILL BE VOTING FOR ROY BARNES ON NOVEMBER 2ND. Okay, you really don’t have to waste the energy to tell the world that you will be voting for Barnes. We get it. Really.

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

So what are you trying to say?
          Why so Angry? I’m surprised they let you post here after your posts on Clint’s thread.

• rightofcenter says:

All I’m saying is that he has posted numerous times that he is voting for Barnes. I think the point has been well made and doesn’t require a continual reminder.

I did get angry after reading Clint’s post – I thought it was written in a brutal fashion (as witnessed with the speed with which Galloway posted it at the AJC). Don’t support Deal, fine. But endorse Barnes because he is “more conservative” than Deal? I think the illogic of that move required a strong check.

• Doug Grammer says:

Zaza,

I went to Congressman Deal’s website last night the the pledge of a blind trust is there….that’s step one to getting your vote?

• kyleinatl says:

The Dems could be running Jesus Christ himself and they’d probably still lose…Thurbert Baker wouldn’t even crack 30%.
      Charlie, if you can name one state-wide Democrat that was more electable than Roy Barnes, the next beer is on me.

• Andre says:

Two words:

Zell Miller.

If Zell Miller re-entered politics today, he’d make short work of Nathan Deal. Period.

The only Republican who could possibly give Zell Miller a run for his money in this day and age is Johnny Isakson.

• analogkid says:

Zell is 78, although your point is still valid.

Sam Nunn, on the other hand (who is 72, the same age McCain was in 2008), would have been a good candidate. That is, assuming enough people remember who he is.

While we’re playing Fantasy Politics, I will reiterate that the L’s should have put Bob Barr up for Guv.

• kyleinatl says:

Re: Barr…now THAT would have been a pretty good idea.

Nunn is far more connected to Obama in his “unofficial advisor” status.

• analogkid says:

Thanks. Really I think the L’s should convince him to run for ANY statewide seat. He’s their best chance of cracking the magic number of 20%. They missed a great opportunity this year, with so many incumbents retiring or seeking higher office.

I was unaware of Nunn’s advisory role to Obama. That’s good to know.

A lot of people thought Poythress was going to be a threat when he first entered the race, and that didn’t pan out at all. Barnes probably was the only viable choice.

• kyleinatl says:

Yeah, cause the Zell of today is JUST what the state needs…*sarcasm*
          He’s almost indistinguishable from Ralph Reed now…except old.

2. TPNoGa says:

Still undecided, but leaning towards Deal. Won’t know for sure until I touch the screen. Want to see if there are anymore surprises before I finally decide. But, if nothing else comes out, I will most likely bite the bullet and vote for Deal.

• Harry says:

Deal and Barnes mixing personal business together with public service is pretty much par for the course in Georgia politics, unfortunately. We’re not talking Bill Clinton-style obstruction of justice here.

• TPNoGa says:

Sorry, but no, it hasn’t reached the level of disqualification for me.

I was in Texas this past weekend to watch my Baylor Bears lose, as well as, go to the Texas State Fair. If you could see the accusations being made against Gov. Perry, you wouldn’t flinch at Deal’s problems. I am of the opinion that accusations made during a campaign should be taken with a grain of salt. If Deal is as corrupt as we are being told, then why wasn’t something said for the past 20 years? If it wasn’t bad enough to be discussed before he ran for Governor, then why should I put much stock in it. I just don’t think he is as bad as he is portrayed. That is just my opinion.

I am not a fan of Deal’s, but I am less of a fan of Barnes and Monds. Trusting that Barnes will govern as a conservative just reminds me of the bill of goods we were sold with Obama. I was told by countless people that Obama would govern as a moderate because he was way too smart to act like a liberal in office. Barnes was governor once and he was fired. I wasn’t here for his term in office, but I trust it wasn’t that great, or he would have been re-elected in 2002.

I looked into Monds, seems like a good guy. He just doesn’t seem ready for prime-time to me.

I guess Deal seems like to lowest risk to me. Based on the polls, seems like an awful lot of people agree.

3. DigitalViolation says:

Unfortunately, this is a “lesser of two evils” argument. Deal has questionable ethics issues, Barnes has a less than stellar track record in the very office he’s running for. But in my mind, the biggest liability with Barnes is that as a Democrat, he’ll be forced to get into bed with his Washington counterparts. Every governor has do deal with members of Congress at some point. That means Barnes will be working with many of the same Senators and Representatives who rammed Obamacare down our throats. For all of Deal’s short-comings, he isn’t a threat to sell out to the Obama/Pelosi/Reid crowd.

4. Herb says:

RCP is a Republican polling firm. Barnes hasn’t even begun to tap his billions for the purpose of political gain. He thinks people should decide the race, not money. He is like Zell without the extra 16 years, and Washington without false teeth. He made us proud last time, but we were too lazy to vote, and handed Republicans the Governors seat as a result. He will wow us again. All he must do is define Squeal as corrupt, and Barnes wins by 16. End. Of. Story. GO ROY!!!

• TPNoGa says:

RCP is not a polling firm. They are not a polling firm at all. They are a website that just averages all available polls, including Democratic organizations’ (PPP) polls. That is why a lot of news organizations use their averages.

5. Georgia Judge says:

ROC,
    You are absolutely correct.This blog has become a propaganda rag for attacking Republican office holders or candidates unless they are endorsed by the front page posters with the exception of Buzz.

Fortunately the political lift is about 1/4 of an inch as the R’s will sweep the slate come Nov 2…….and thats a great thing.

• Back in the day, about 4 years ago, the PP was great. You actually were able to tap the pulse of folks. Now it literally has become the propaganda machine for most of the moderators.

“Sounds a lot like the old “Bill Simon” wannabee posts. He’s no longer “with us” but we defend the integrity of commenters nonetheless.”

Speaks volumes to me. Even after the backtracking emails. But hey, it’s all in good clean fun.

6. Doug Grammer says:

Was Gov. Barnes the wrong candidate? The only other candidate who I think might give me more pause would be Cathy Cox. Sam Nunn wouldn’t run, and let’s face it, Zell Miller would run as a Republican. If he didn’t, I’d consider voting for him anyway, depending on who our nominee would be. Jim Martin should have considered it. I’m not a big fan of his, but he just spent a lot of money building name ID two years ago.

• kyleinatl says:

The Dems’ candidate for dog catcher? No thanks, if Jim Martin never shows up on another ballot, I’ll be totally happy with that.