My problem with Jim Marshall…

…may very well be his undoing.

Quite a few commenters have brought up the fact that politics is a dirty game and that any candidate will have their life’s story brought out in the open, regardless of if it could hurt even a child. Marshall has stooped to the age-old game of PERSONAL attacks on Austin Scott. But why would he do this? Is it desperation? Perhaps. But, maybe it’s because Marshall isn’t the man he says he is, the fighter for fiscal responsibility and the “balanced budget” candidate.

My problem with Jim Marshall is that he cannot get into an issue-by-issue debate with Austin Scott because he says one thing in Georgia and does something entirely different in Washington. Our country has seen one of the worst recessions since the Great Depression. Our government has ran up an over $13 TRILLION deficit and is still spending. Why is a virtually bankrupt entity still writing checks?

Well Marshall has a track record of having absolutely no problem with this wasteful spending. Sure, he voted against Obamacare because he knew he needed to in order to have a prayer in this year’s election, but what about the other big votes? You know, the bailouts. Marshall faces several problems with trying to be the poster child of fiscal responsibility.

He voted YES on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending, YES on Barack Obama’s $787 Billion economic stimulus package (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act; H.R.1), and YES on $60B stimulus package for jobs, infrastructure, & energy (Job Creation and Unemployment Relief Act; Bill S.3604&HR7110).

He voted TWICE for the Wall Street bailout plan, AND was willing to give up his seat over it (let’s oblige him). Remember the NPR interview with Marshall on his bailout vote?

All of these issues face Marshall in this election cycle. His back is against the wall and what has he chosen to do? Go PERSONAL. That’s my main issue with him and, in my opinion, what is going to cost Jim Marshall his seat on November 2nd.

1. rugby says:

“Our country is in one of the worst recessions we’ve seen since the Great Depression. ”

No it isn’t. Hasn’t been for more than a year.

• Ramblinwreck says:

“No it isn’t. Hasn’t been for more than a year.”

Tell that to the folks who make up the nearly 18% effective unemployment rate. Those who are unemployed and under employed. I’m pretty sure they think it’s still on regardless of what Obama’s Keynesian talking head economists say.

• rugby says:

So you will ignore definitions of economic cycles with fudged numbers to criticize what you consider to be fudged numbers.

Got it.

Really it is no surprise why I left PP.

• Tyler says:

Fixed. Should have been “has seen one of the worst recessions”. We, however, are still seeing its effects and any sort of recovery has been slow.

With unemployment numbers where they are, I’d say the majority still feel like we’re in it, and with continued spending I wouldn’t be surprised if we see another one.

But I’m not going to detract from the post. Marshall is partly to blame for the bloated spending and horrendous deficit.

• B Balz says:

What it really comes down to is the fact that everyone talks and nobody listens. All Americans share common knowledge of the universal problems, issues, and troubles. The bad things are non-partisan, the solutions are completely partisan based on ‘who benefits.’ Every great civilization faced this period of time where something monumental could have changed the course of history.

This Great Recession was the early warning, first wave. The next wave will make us vulnerable to extraneous and unfriendly forces. The time for citizens of strong mind and heart is upon us, not to tear and divide, but to find common ground and conquer. Or not.

Drink up, laddy, for tomorrow may make today look like Heaven.

• B Balz says:

I am a longtime supporter of Rep. Scott, years prior to this cycle. My issue is not with him, and I understand the GOP National strategy to take back the House.

In the end, unless the GOP offers something better than repealing the HC bill, without having any replacement in the wings, we have failed our mandate.

2. B Balz says:

Oh Tyler, you are a good foot soldier in the war to eradicate those ‘spendthrift’ Dems. Only trouble is you picked the wrong guy to fight. When I met Cong. Marshall, which you admitted you have not, he sounded like an old fashioned Conservative Republican to me.

The fact that you are not in his District makes you a vocal shill and not a PO’ed constituent. What anybody says or believes is their right, but what do you gain for you efforts to unseat a moderate Dem that is not your rep? I see a future in the GOP for you!

BOTH Dems and GOP are responsible for the fact that the USA is in the financial mess we see today. Some could say it started with FDR and the beginning of the entitlement morass. But really, even with the population bubble called the ‘baby-boomers’ Social Security could have remained solvent by using traditional actuarial methods.

Others could say when LBJ financed the Vietnam conflict with SS ‘actual’ dollars and replaced same with Fed IOU’s. He started a trend that is out of control.

Medicare/caid are huge entitlements that the HC bill will seek to control. Congressman Marshall voted against the HC bill (Who cares if some speculate he was given a pass to do so, he voted NO.)

The GOP disemboweled the Glass-Steagall Act. Soon after Lehmann Bros. fell. Wisely, the GOP is trying to re-instate same. (Glass-Steagall Reinstated by GOP: http://www.larouchepac.com/node/14390)

What folks seem to ignore is that ga-jillions were made on this last roller-coaster ride by those ‘in-the-know’ gnomes that bet against the market. Both Dems and GOP.

I respect your enthusiasm, vigor, and challenge you to rise above common Partisanship and seek a better solution to our Countries problems.. How about trying to work with the Dems we can work with, and get the others out of office? Not capitulation, simply an effort to remove the ‘ugliness’.

BTW, if I were in GA-8, I would loyally vote for Rep. Austin Scott. Since I am not, I am repulsed by the GOP effort to remove a decent Congressman. I just wish Rep. Scott had picked another battle, yet, I wish him the best.

• polisavvy says:

Being a resident of the 8th, I am definitely vested in the outcome of this race. I have decided to back Austin Scott 100%. You may not think it’s significant that Marshall was “given a pass” to vote no on the health care issue, but I do and so do many others. The confidence factor in Marshall is just not there. What would you have Austin Scott do? Ignore the obvious? Ignore the votes of Jim Marshall? Austin Scott is trying his damndest to run a clean campaign and focus on the issues that the constituents want him to focus on. He is not engaging in any attack ads against Marshall. He’s simply being “Captain Obvious” and pointing things as they are. Jim Marshall, on the other hand, cannot say the same.

• B Balz says:

Fair enough, you live in the District and have already voted. As I said, I would vote for the man if I lived there. Prior to this cycle, did you ever vote against Cong. Marshall? And on November 3rd will you reveal yourself? I hope so, I look forward to it!

My issue is with my vocal, exuberant ‘pal’ from the 9th is how does he benefit from making Congressman Marshall GA-8th, his cause? Ain’t nuthin’ for free….

• polisavvy says:

I can honestly say that I have NEVER voted for Marshall. And yes, on November 3rd (or maybe even November 2nd), I will be happy to reveal myself. You’ll probably be disappointed when my identity is revealed — I’m just a stay at home mom with three dogs. Nothing special. I became a political junkie about ten years ago — I love this stuff! I can tell you this — I am not on the payroll of any campaign anywhere.

• B Balz says:

Me neither. Charlie said the same thing to me, “I am a nobody and you’ll be disappointed”. I consider him a wise and trustworthy ally to my advocacy cause even though I don’t agree with him 100%.

• polisavvy says:

You, on the other hand, seem like an interesting person with lots to tell. As for Charlie, well, I met him the day that Austin Scott qualified for Congress. Didn’t get to spend much time with him but found him terribly sincere. I feel the same about Zaza — I feel it would be cool to meet him/her, too.

• Hi poli,

I can pretty much guarantee that you’d enjoy talking with Mr. B Balz. He and I have spoken and had, I believe, an excellent conversation.

I look forward to meeting you in person, too.

We’re having a rally for Austin here in Eastman tomorrow night at 6:15 PM and we’re expecting a couple of hundred people or so. It should be fun. Both of you are invited. 🙂

• polisavvy says:

As an aside, I think the ‘pal from the 9th’ is as concerned as I am about candidates in districts other than my own. They all make decisions that affect us all. If he thinks that Austin Scott will be able to help Georgians, and not just those in the 8th, I totally understand him interjecting himself into the discussion. I feel the same about several other candidates in districts other than the 8th.

• B Balz says:

Yeah, I hear you. Maybe I am too hard on the man.

Nuthin’ personal Tyler, but why not Sanford Bishop?

• Jason says:

I reluctantly voted for Marshall in 2008 because his GOP opponent, Rick Goddard, was no better.

Despite claiming to be fighting for lower spending, Marshall has voted for spending bills, such as TARP and the stimulus, that set a bad precedent by making “too big to fail” the policy of the future and were both fiscally irresponsible.

I’m voting for Austin Scott this time around.

Also, I don’t believe someone has to live in a district to make a judgment on the way a politician governs. Marshall is has made his shortcomings well known.

• Hi B Balz,

My opinion of Congressman Marshall is quite a bit lower than yours (and is, in fact, lower than polisavvy’s).

Being a resident of the 8th Congressional District, I see Marshall differently. Marshall claims to be a conservative, but his overall voting record does not substantiate that claim. I believe his claims and his campaign are based upon deception.

Marshall’s record is to keep a low profile on the most publicized votes, but the list of liberal votes Tyler highlights – and those are not all of them – happened, too.

Marshall tries his best to have it both ways. For example he voted against Obamacare, but then refused to sign a pledge to repeal it. Now, I’m hearing that he would sign a pledge to repeal, but I have no idea if that’s true or not.

Then there is the claim that he supports a balanced budget amendment – right after he voted to increase the federal debt limit. In addition, I could find no balanced budget amendment that Marshall ever co-sponsored.

As a leader, Marshall has not been a success. I won’t list the reasons here, because you’ve seen me expand on that before. Let’s just briefly say: 1 unimportant successful bill in 8 years and no leadership positions, anywhere.

As for Republicans, you know me and know that I have held elected position within the GOP, off and on, since 1994. I am a Republican partisan and make no apologies for it. I’m a Republican because I believe that the GOP is the best way for me to move forward my personal political philosophy.

Did the GOP completely blow an opportunity to make government smaller and more responsive for the citizens of this country? Yes. Was I disappointed and critical of that failure? Yes. Do I think they are still better than the Democrats? Yes.

I hope Republicans have learned something. The current opportunity being handed to the GOP is from over-reaching Democrats who mistook public disappointment with Republicans in 2006 for a public endorsement for socialism. They were wrong.

I believe the GOP will not make those same mistakes, but on its worst day, the mistakes made by the GOP are inconsequential compared to the mistakes made by the Democrat majority in Congress and in the White House.

• As for voting in this district: I voted for Saxby Chambliss in 1994 and every time thereafter. I worked for Saxby’s campaign, writing a few things he found useful.

I have never voted for Marshall. Calder Clay is a friend of mine and would have made a fine Congressman. I voted for him in both elections. Mac Collins had a documented conservative voting record in Congress and deserved better than his fate. I voted for him. I also voted for Rick Goddard in 2008, though I really didn’t know him.

• B Balz says:

Thanks for the invite, Ken, previous engagement, perhaps some other time.

Not trying to ‘gore your ox’ about Cong. Marshall. I am cautiously optimistic that the GOP has learned many lessons since deposed in 2008.

My guess is markets will soar in November if the purported GOP wins materialize. Business hates uncertainty, and the current regime has instilled plenty of that.

We’ll see. Enjoy the day!

• B Balz,

I respect your opinions even if we don’t always agree on everything – and in this case we actually agree on the most important part. We would both vote for Austin Scott – Okay, actually I’ve already voted for Austin Scott, but you know what I mean.

Take care, and I hope to see you soon. Are you going to Athens?

• B Balz says:

Dunno about Athens, busy Friday, That Kyle person hits the ‘social overreaching’ nail squarely on the head.

I think Rep.Scott is smart enough to avoid initiating any such nonsense, and is strong enough to “Just say NO!” to a GOP social mandate. I hope.

• kyleinatl says:

“The GOP will be just as wrong if it believes that a turnover in Congress is a public endorsement to return to the mistakes of the early 2000s: corruption, failure to secure the US-Mexico border, failure to shrink government and failure to respond to common sense solutions offered by the American people.”

I’m going to beat this horse until it’s dead…but remember Terri Shiavo? Issues like that were another problem…social overreaching…if the GOP just hops back on that kind of horse come 2011…they’ll find themselves right back on the outside looking in. No more social crusades Ken, seriously.

3. Tyler says:

B Balz, you assume I’m partisan but have no idea what my ballot will look like in November.

I’m either a Republican hack or not. Can’t have it both ways.

• B Balz says:

C’mon Tyler, we’ve met and talked. I wouldn’t call you a ‘hack’ or any other name. I think your posting history speaks for itself, you have made a mission out of unseating Congressman Marshall.

That action marks you as a GOP _____________. Free Country, free speech, and all, but why not some other Dem Congressman from Georgia?

My guess is that, somehow, you realize that the GA-8th is a ‘vulnerable’ seat. That may be a result of your own obsevation or the influences of another.

My only issue is that that particular seat is held by a man who the GOP could actually work with. Replacing him with Rep. Scott is probably better, GOP-wise, but why not replace the folks we cannot work with?

• polisavvy says:

In Tyler’s defense, the 8th has been declared a toss-up for weeks now. Every poll shows Marshall either trailing or toss-up status. Marshall’s vulnerable, that is unless, of course, you go by the DCCC poll that had him up by 12 points — he’s never beaten any opponent by 12 points. That was a truly laughable poll. Tyler’s decision could be made because he informs himself of what’s out there relative to the race in the 8th and it could be because he’s met Austin Scott and liked what he saw.

4. Tyler says:

The 8th is vulnerable and our country operates on a two-party system. In order to get Pelosi out of office the GOP needs all the seats it can get.

But even still, Marshall voted for big spending and that should not be overlooked. The trillions he voted for trump any conservative bill he voted for.

• polisavvy says:

That exactly the way I see it, too. Some bad decisions on Marshall’s part have trumped some of the good he actually did. People see the deficit because it is flung in our face on a daily basis. People see the unemployment numbers monthly. In the minds of a lot of the people in the 8th, the votes by Marshall for “big spending” has not worked; therefore, he is viewed unfavorably for voting on these big sending packages. It’s his bed, now he must lay in it.

5. peach4handel says:

I hope austin can pull this off,but I got to see it to belive it. Austin has to hope the republican voting for jim wont come out as in the past election cycle.There is still republicans that support jim due to the air force base in robbins

• polisavvy says:

Something tells me that Austin Scott is more than capable to keep the interests of Robins foremost in his mind. He understands the importance and significance of Robins. We all do.

• peach4handel,

They would be making a mistake. Every other Air Logistics Center is represented by a Republican. The real danger to Robins AFB is a continued Democrat majority.

Democrats have not been friendly to the US military as a party for nearly 50 years. There is absolutely no sign they will become pro-military within my lifetime. Jim Marshall contributes to the ability of Nancy Pelosi (Not exactly Miss Armed Forces 2010, by the way) to maintain the Speakership which is a threat to the military as a whole.

Jim Marshall has no pull within the Democrat party. He’s so busy walking a tightrope that he has little or no influence.

6. Doug Grammer says:

FYI,

Tyler, at his young age, already has a past with the GOP. He has held GOP office on a county level. Marshal is the most vulnerable, Bishop is the second most vulnerable. Pragmatism says that we go for the weakest link. It’s a simple matter of which resources expended are most likely to bear fruit? I think we can win both of these races, but it makes since to Tyler to focus on Marshall not only because he’s more beatable, but because he likes Rep. Scott. I’m willing to bet he’s never met Rep. Keown.

• polisavvy says:

Uh oh! You better watch it or the spelling and grammar Nazi’s will be all over you if you do that again. LOL!! 😉

• Ambernappe says:

Poli,
          You forgot – Jace retired me! Besides there is much to do in Fulton County – the Republicans must win – Steve Broadbent and Lori are excellent and Liz Hausman is unopposed. The arrogance of Chairman John Eaves is breathtaking. By the way, I am looking forward to meeting you sometime, there is a lot of interest in StreetGrace, which we have discussed before.

Also, I see little value of Rep. Marshall to Robbins AFB – it has wide, well-organized local support.

• Tyler says:

I’m focusing on Scott’s race 100% b/c I think he has the better chance of winning. I’m sure I’d like Keown, but I want to make sure the 8th swings to Scott.

Now if we could just clone me for the 2nd…

7. debbie0040 says:

Wednesday October 6, 2010

FreedomWorks PAC Endorses Conservative Candidate Austin Scott in the Georgia District 8 Congressional Race

Washington, DC- Today, FreedomWorks PAC officially endorsed Austin Scott in the Georgia District 8 Congressional race as the clear choice for limited government voters in that state.

FreedomWorks PAC believes that Austin Scott’s promises to protect the Constitution and fight on behalf of taxpayers against runaway government spending and the continuous erosion of our fundamental freedoms will propel him to victory in the November 2nd general election.

Scott will be an important vote in the next Congress on behalf of core limited government issues. And his leadership in combating the big government agenda of the liberal establishment will be critical to FreedomWorks’ overarching mission to “Take America Back” on behalf of freedom starting on November 3, 2010.

FreedomWorks PAC is supporting endorsed candidates through Get Out The Vote (GOTV) efforts, including direct mailings, yard sign distribution, volunteer phone banks and neighborhood literature drops leading up to election day.

“We are pleased to add Austin Scott to our list of endorsed candidates this election season,” commented Matt Kibbe, President of FreedomWorks PAC. “After evaluating the candidates in this race, we believe that Austin Scott will best serve the interests of hardworking Georgia taxpayers by advocating the principles of lower taxes, less government and more individual freedom.”

For more information about this race and others that FreedomWorks PAC will be targeting in 2010 as part of the Take America Back campaign, please visit the PAC website, http://FreedomWorksPAC.org/ or contact FreedomWorks PAC Managing Director Rob Jordan at (202) 942-7624.

###

8. John Konop says:

I will probably never run for office again because of the nastiness of people in both parties. I ran for office years ago and on this blog as well as my own blog party insiders have posted nasty lies and comments about me just because they disagree with a comment I made. The sickest part is how they research your past to find anything to discredit the person with outrageous spin, lies and innuendos. I wonder how they even sleep at night.

I am fairly thick skinned but when they go after your family it is especially tough. That is why I am speaking out about the attacks against Austin Scott.

• John,

We do occasionally disagree, but you are a good example of why we need to reign in the ugliness in campaigns. You’re a talented man with a deep understanding of economics (though I disagree with your interpretations at times) that could be of great service to our state and nation. I’m sorry to hear that this has affected you in this way. It’s already hard enough to recruit good candidates, but the added threat of low-lifes dragging every aspect of a person’s past – and his family’s past, will make it nearly impossible.

You’ll know what I mean when I say that we are witnessing the political version of Gresham’s Law.

• B Balz says:

Sadly, John you are describing a self-defeating condition that will trend toward keeping the most able citizens away from elected office. Even the toughest bird is not immune to personal attacks. The ‘net is breaking new gound in this area, disgusting, really.

Yet a reflection of how little some people really are.

Solace is in retribution for the winner. Anonymity on the ‘net is overrated. Those that feel invincible online may become targets for tax audits, perhaps law enforcement scrutiny.

Freedom of speech has consequences, which are sometimes as wrong as the initial transgression.