1. ACCmoderate says:

THOUGHTS ON DEAL:
    Thanks for pointing out the negative impacts of a recession you helped create.

More tax cuts? Those are a brilliant idea for a state that is facing another huge budget gap next session and is projected to have revenues fall short of of expenditures the year after that as well. I can start to see why he’s so financially inept with his own pocketbook.

With the way our budget is set up, there is no way to cut taxes in order to attract jobs without cutting spending on education (which we’ve already done), medical payments (good luck sneaking that by people), or laying off more state employees (which runs completely counter to the message of “jobs”).

Then again, we could always lay off the entire Assembly and governor’s office… something tells me things would run better without anyone up there.

THOUGHTS ON BARNES:
    I understand why he’s such an incredibly talented lawyer. He was able to take a couple of paper thin points you’d hear in a student government election and make them sound half decent. Fact remains, they’re still a couple of paper thin points you’d hear in a student government election.

For a state as red as Georgia is, it wasn’t illegal immigrant-y enough. I respect the idea of not hiring illegal immigrants for state funded projects… but don’t say it like a weak-kneed Democrat. Any ad dealing with jobs should feature some version of this exchange:

Anyone noticing how the fine print at the end of every ad asks you to vote for Keith Moffett for PSC?

• “the fine print at the end of every ad ” yep, when it says taking care of our own. Me thinks it’s a subliminal message to Democrats.

If you compare this with his earlier ads decrying the use of tax credits for business, Barnes is really operating in doublespeak.

While everyone is fixated on the anti-Obama sentiment, for me the larger issues is Barnes attempt to meander into a local government issue and apply political pressure on an investigation by local law enforcement.

• “when I see it, I wonder how effective it is” rather. My first statement makes it sound like I sit around drinking coffee and debating the merits of different PSC campaign strategies. I’m guilty of some not cool behavior, but not quite that bad.

• rightofcenter says:

I think the parties do it because it satisfies some obscure part of the campaign law. I don’t think anybody pretends that it is effective in the least.

• polisavvy says:

Ain’t that the truth, Anonymole? I was beginning to wonder if we were ever going to hear their stances on anything.

2. Doug Grammer says:

Finally, Deal v Barnes, jobs, discuss!

By watching both ads you can tell a lot about the philosophy of both men regarding jobs. Congressman Deal understands the private sector creates jobs and he is trying to create an environment that will allow jobs to grow with less government intrusion and taxes. Gov. Barnes spend half of his as discussing what type of government jobs or jobs created by contracts with the government will not have illegals working on them. I am a bit confused if he means that there will be no out of state contractors for anything. I am also unsure if he means that companies that expand overseas would be disqualified from bidding in Georgia government contracts.

While (I think) I agree with everything both candidates said, it appears that Congressman Deal believes more in job creation by private enterprise, and Gov. Barnes believes that jobs are created by government spending and government hoops to jump through.

I will probably chime in again later, but Deal was been endorsed by the NFIB and his jobs plan has been rated by non-partisan Tax Foundation’s 2010 State Business Tax Climate Index to move Georgia’s economy from 29th to 16th in the United States

When Barnes was Governor in 2001, Georgia led the nation in Job losses.

• polisavvy says:

I think you broke that down quite nicely. I have a problem with Barnes’ idea of government-grown jobs. The private sector employs the largest percentage of employees across the country. That’s why the new numbers this morning were so disturbing — a bigger loss than expected of private sector jobs. I doubt that Georgia is any different and that the vast majority of employees are employed by private sector jobs. These are the jobs that need growing — not the government jobs.

• Paul Srch says:

One thing I’ve noticed – which dovetails your comment nicely – is that Deal wants to create positive incentives for businesses starting or moving to Georgia, while Barnes wants to penalize businesses who leave.

That’s a pretty large difference in philosophy. As a small businessman, I would much rather work in expectation of benefits that fear of punishment.

• polisavvy says:

Very good point, Paul Srch. I’m sure my husband feels the same as you about the benefits v. fear issue.

• ACCmoderate says:

As someone with an extensive background in economics and job development, its Deal’s proposal I have qualms with. Job creators and private sector investors are not looking for more tax cuts… they’re looking for assurances that a state has the the long term economic stability to provide an environment for growth.

Deal’s calls for increased tax cuts in the heart of massive budget shortfalls doesn’t create that security now, nor will it create that security down the road. (It also makes Deal’s plan of providing more teachers in science, technology, etc. impossible to achieve, because more budget cuts will be necessary to fund said tax cuts and education funding makes up around 80% of the state budget)

While Barnes’ plan would offer little incentive for private industry to locate to Georgia, it doesn’t express the sheer economic lunacy that is Deal’s plan.

I know its popular to think that tax cuts encourage job growth and private industry. To an extent, they do. However, private industry will be successfully maintained AND the economic viability of the state will be protected by measures that assure Georgia won’t go bankrupt and will be able to continually be able to provide adequate resources to said industries (infrastructure, educated workforce, etc).

By cutting taxes, you’re also requiring a cut in spending (since Georgia cannot operate on deficits). Any cut in spending will more than likely come from education (which harms Georgia’s ability to provide a pool of skilled and educated workers) and infrastructure investment/maintenance/improvement, which help industries grow.

• Doug Grammer says:

ACC,

It’s OK to for you to admit that you think government spending will lead to more jobs than private sector spending. That’s how I reduce your comments.

It looks like you would want no tax cuts, and maybe more taxes. It also seems like you want to spend more in education. Is this correct?

3. If Perdue & weak-kneed Republicans in the General Assembly hadn’t crapped out on their original proposal to phase out all corporate taxes in Georgia, we wouldn’t have to have this debate about “lowering” corporate tax rates or eliminating “tax breaks” for corporations that move jobs overseas.