Barrow to skip APC debate

Rep. John Barrow will not attend the Atlanta Press Club debate scheduled for Sunday:

Citing a “family commitment,” Democratic U.S. Rep. John Barrow is skipping Sunday’s televised debate with Republican Ray McKinney.

The Atlanta event, sponsored by the Atlanta Press Club, is due to be aired live on Georgia Public Television.

It will be the second debate the Savannah lawmaker has passed over this year; he missed one with his primary opponent, Regina Thomas.

Barrow spokeswoman Jane Brodsky wouldn’t describe the family event other than to say it’s “something he has to attend.”

GA-12 listed as “Likely Dem” by Real Clear Politics.

Other debates scheduled for Sunday are:

Supreme Court Justice
Invited Candidates: Tammy Lynn Adkins, David Nahmias and Matt Wilson
Airs live at GPB from 6:00 – 6:30 p.m

Congressional District 7
Invited Candidates: Doug Heckman and Rob Woodall
Airs live at GPB from 6:30-7:00 p.m.

Congressional District 8
Invited Candidates: Jim Marshall and Austin Scott
Airs live at GPB from 7:00-7:30 p.m.

I’m not sure if we’ll have a live-blog or not, but we’ll at least post an open thread.

• Andre says:

I’ve had numerous phone conversations with Ray McKinney. I’ve even had lunch with him, and I’d hardly qualify him as a nut.

McKinney is just an ordinary American that is fed up with what’s going on in Washington. If that makes him a nut, then so be it.

Maybe we need a few more “nuts” in the halls of Congress to offset the sane people who think everything is going along fine.

1. Jeremy Jones says:

I wonder if someone would take the time to follow him around the day of the debate to see what this “family” situation is.

Hey bud, one of the reasons we pay you $174,000 per year is because of the severe toll the job, both working and campaigning, takes on your family time.

• Lea Thrace says:

So the big uproar this week (which I agree with btw) re: the Austin Scott divorce and leaving the families out of it, that goes out the window because it’s Marshall?

Seems a bit disingenuous don’t you think?

Yes we pay them to represent but does that mean they cannot tend to their families when needed?

• Erick's Mortal Enemy says:

Good idea. Stalking is always the option. Let’s put a tracker on the Republican too, ya know, see when he has to take a whizz and all.

Orrrrr, not.

• Jeremy Jones says:

If a Republican, or any pol for that matter, was suspected of lying about his whereabouts, I am sure there are plenty who attempt to get video evidence proving them a liar. I am not suggesting we start tagging all politicians, but, if I were at the mall and saw him buying a Yankee Candle on the day of the debate, I’d be hard pressed not to capture that on recordable video media.

2. aoburns says:

If he hadn’t skipped the first debate I would try to give him the benefit of the doubt but now hes just trying to hide.

3. View from Brookhaven says:

Was he the one who skipped the primary debate basically on a “Screw that, I’m not driving eight hours round-trip for GPB…” or am I thinking of someone else?

4. Tiberius says:

Barrow skipped the debate with Thomas too. Considering how few watch it, I don’t blame him.

Has anyone ever seen a number on how many people watch these debates. DO PBS stations do nielsen rating? I can only imagine how low the numbers would be.

Less than the Ga Gang?

• Jeremy Jones says:

It is not the viewership. It is the content that is derived from the debates. While very few might actually watch it, a debate can make or break the election, especially if it close. One can use sound snipets from it to show their opponent as a fool, or one’s self as a great person.

The other function is the simple fact of WHO does watch it. Media types and such. Being at the debate can garner, or lose, local paper coverage or endorsements.

• fishtail says:

I agree. Why give this extremist and self-professed nuclear expert(he’s a layman) an opportunity to say that Obama is a Democrat…you, Mr. Barrow, are a Democrat…BINGO!!!…you are Obama. That seems to sum up the cynical Southern Strategy for the GOP this year. Like P. T. Barnum said…”there’s a sucker born every minute.”…and Southern voters take the bait again and again.