Politifart Georgia

I am not fond of Politifact.  Their ratings seem arbitrary and editorial, like they set out in advance with the final rating in mind and write their story around that.  I think everyone from Nathan Deal to JB Powell has gotten screwed one way or another by them.

May I suggest an alternative run by some astute political observers here in this state?  It’s Politifart Georgia.  Here’s a recent gem:

Sorry for the delay; we are investigating whether @VoteDeal has ever gotten anything right the first time (party registration,real estate..)

Consider this an open thread.

1. John Konop says:

I am sure both sides will attack me on this issue. Bottom line unless someone tells me how we pay for this, it should go back-up for everyone. It is fiscally irresponsible to give out tax cuts without the proper spending cuts!

The problem is both sides are just making promises to their bases that will eventually blow-up. Many of you called me ‘chicken little” when I warned about this before the latest down-turn. At the end of the day we must start paying our bills.

Tea Party Urges Congress to Renew Bush Tax Cuts

• John Konop says:

Lawton,

In all due respect the starving the beast strategy of waiting for the cuts does not work and is why we are in this mess. People must feel the pain of the cost of the service or they will never make the tough decisions.

• Lawton Sack says:

We are on the same page, as we have discussed before. My point is that a balanced budget forces the equal cuts (taxes, spending) issue. That is one (out of many) reason that I enjoy living in Georgia.

• Goldwater Conservative says:

The question I continue to ask is in regard to the Reagan version of supply-side econ is this:

If tax cuts actually generate revenue then why do tax cuts need funding?

This is ontological in a sense. If tax cuts do in fact raise revenue significantly then they would fund themselves. Fact is revenue may increase…sure I can imagine that being a possibility. Right now, however, we are spending nearly $400 billion every year to keep the Bush Tax Cuts.

Pick one or the other issue. I am tired of this Tea Party non-sense. Either take the Bush cuts and lose your status as deficit hawks, or be deficit hawks and let the tax cuts expire. “You can not have guns, butter and low taxes…the number just don’t add up” -Walker

The problem is not the government…it is the people. Government never has been the problem…they have been a solution. They mitigate the senseless unexamined whims of a public that is without a fundamental grasp on logic and basic 5th grade math (might actually be 12th grade math in the South).

Abandon your beliefs and prejudices and start asking for proof. Why are there no data driven analyses in the Fair Tax Book? There is zero…not one regression table, not one equations, nada, zip, nothing. Why? For one, Boortz and Linder are not smart enough to even define what either of those are. Secondly, when they contracted out to a high school senior from Delaware…then a grad-student from UGA, they did not receive favorable results.

This is the fundamental problem with free-market economics and ultimately rational choice theory. People are not rational. They do not make rational decisions nor do they come to logical conclusions. Scientific proof should be informing decisions…not gut feelings or the prejudices you people have from watching the State Run Media of GlennBeckistan. Where is his evidence? Nowhere! He just needs to flatter you with nonsense and you believe what he says because it requires nothing one your part.

Also, vouchers are stupid. Want to fix the education system? Start with getting rid of bad teachers and then move onto teaching parents how to take a role in their child’s education. Kids in this country are spoiled lazy. Stop blaming the education system. It works just fine outside of the south.

• John Konop says:

The below is the problem. I do think if more government services were fee based you would see a different behavior. That is the biggest issue with Medicare, the cost of service has very little to do with fincial decisions. Like undisciplined little kids people take whatever they can get.

…..“You can not have guns, butter and low taxes…the number just don’t add up” –Walker….

As far as education I think the biggest issue is forcing all kids on a 1 track college system or out is the major problem. If you look at the data and study the top 40% of kids the numbers are fine and similar to other countries. The rest of the world does not force the other 60% into a college track that is why our drop-out rate is out of control.

On a very positive note I have personally had the conversation with John Barge and Jim Martin and both agree that is a major problem and are against the one size fit all failed No Child Left Behind, college or out concept.

Also I have had the conversation with Barnes campaign manager and he agrees as well. I am not sure about Nathan Deal but Karen Handel definitely understood the issue.

• ZazaPachulia says:

John Konop, it’s hardly a radical position to defer to Alan Greenspan on this. Even he recognizes that the Bush cuts need to expire.

2. ZazaPachulia says:

I can tell you one thing Deal got right the first time: obtaining Lynn Westmoreland’s support (and the bulk of the GOP under the gold dome) for his campaign for governor very early in the game — way before all of this stuff started leaking.

Of course, as the slow-motion trainwreck began, that support backed off a bit… I saw Westmoreland speak at a local GOP breakfast three days before the runoff and he didn’t even mention Handel nor Deal by name. His only comment about the governor’s race was a joke about being glad he decided not to run. “People ask me, do you regret not running? And I say, have you turned on the t.v. lately?” (laughter)

• ZazaPachulia says:

Just imagine if the best candidate in the primary field had received that kind of support in the early going (Austin Scott)… It would have been so wonderful to actually rally behind a competent, ethical Republican candidate instead of having to swallow my pride and vote for Barnes…

• polisavvy says:

We damned sure wouldn’t be facing the crap we are facing now with the present candidate had Austin Scott received the support he should have. He would have been good for Georgia as Governor. He will now be good for Georgia in Congress. I have a gut feeling that we will get that chance and that he will one day run for Governor. Let’s hope he receives the support next time he should have received in ’10.

• ZazaPachulia says:

Cheers to that, Polisavvy. Hopefully Deal & Co. won’t have completely scuttled the GaGOP ship by the time Austin decides to make another run at the Mansion on West Paces Ferry

3. ZazaPachulia says:

Oh, and can we get a little front page attention on the Lt. Governor race? With Deal monopolizing all of the (negative) press coverage, people are forgetting that we actually have two ethically-challenged Republicans from Hall County at the top of the ticket.

While I characterize voting for Barnes as “swallowing my pride,” I’m actually pretty eager to vote for Carol Porter.

With early voting starting Monday, here’s where my ballot tentatively stands (although I never vote before election day)

U.S. Sen: Isakson
    U.S. Rep: Crane (Ga-13)
    Gov: Barnes
    Lt. Gov: Porter
    SoS: Kemp
    AG: Olens
    Schools: Barge
    CoI: Hudgens
    Labor: Hicks
    Ag., PSC, Courts: undecided

• CobbGOPer says:

Have to agree, Casey is getting a pass flying under the radar. I don’t plan to vote for him either, though I support the rest of the ticket down-ballot… Don’t know if I can bring myself to vote for Barnes, so at the least I’m leaving that box blank.

• Doug Grammer says:

Sometimes, an endorsement from a real name carries no weight. I could list everyone I am voting for. If they were all Republicans, everyone would say “so what???…That’s we expected from him.” However, if I said I was voting straight Dem…I could probably make the AJC and get booted from my office and people would think I had lost my mind. Now, if I said I was voting for a mix of different party nominees, that would still grab peoples attention, I’d still get booted from office, but some people would pay attention to who I endorsed and ask me why.

If I said I was voting for the person who I thought would do the best job, would that give me more credilblity?

Food for thought…If I still said that I was voting for the person who I thought would do the best job, but they were all Republican, why would that discount my opinion?

4. ChiefofStaff65 says:

Doug,

I am just saying that ZaZa still cannot let go of the Austin Scott issue, continues to espouse knowledge and for as much talking as they do, should back it up with some credentials.

I generally do not agree with you Doug, but I respect you using your real name.

• polisavvy says:

Chief, you know I have been a staunch Austin Scott supporter for quite a while. I supported him for Governor and now I support him for Congress (and am fortunate enough to live in the 8th so I can vote for him). I do believe that Zaza brought forth a valid point when he/she said that Austin would have been a fine nominee for Governor. You have to admit that we certainly wouldn’t be going through the distractions we are presently if he were the nominee. I feel good about his chances in the 8th. I also feel that he’ll ultimately run for Governor.

• ZazaPachulia says:

Thanks Polisavvy.

And ChiefofStaff65, the Robespierre of Macon allows anonymous commenting on here. You might not like it, but you take advantage of it as well. Personally, I see nothing wrong with anonymous comment threads on a blog. This is not a newspaper (I despise anonymous comments under news stories from legitimate media outlets, by the way)

My job curtails me from getting too political using my real name on web sites such as this one, but my opinions do accompany my real name on other places on the web. Some folks here (Icarus, Jace) know who I am.

• polisavvy says:

I have every intention of revealing my identity once the election is over. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I am not on the staff of ANY candidate and receive no compensation from ANY candidate. I just happen to have become very passionate about politics in the last four years. I voice my opinions like everyone else. When I reveal my identity, I will explain why I had to stay anonymous. I believe everyone will understand and appreciate why I had to do so. I will be totally honest.

• ZazaPachulia says:

“I believe everyone will understand and appreciate why I had to do so.”

I’m sure we will. You’ve earned my respect behind your pseudonym. (I don’t work for a candidate or anything like that either… Maybe I can get Icarus or Jace to pass you my email address and I explain my anonymity as well)

• polisavvy says:

I’d love to be able to contact you as well. If you decide to do it, Icarus knows my identity and I’d have no problem with him letting us “meet.” You just decide when’s a good time for you.