Darwin Carter Endorses JB Powell

This in via the tipline:

September 15, 2010 – Perry, GA – In a press conference this afternoon at the Georgia National Fairgrounds, JB Powell, the Democratic Candidate for Commissioner of Agriculture, received an endorsement from Darwin Carter, a 2010 Republican candidate for Commissioner of Agriculture and former Reagan administration official.  This is the only cross-party endorsement from a statewide candidate in over a decade in Georgia politics.

“I am honored to receive Darwin Carter’s endorsement today.  We need to move past partisan politics and come together as Georgians, and I look forward to working with Darwin Carter to earn the support of Democratic, Republican and Independent voters this November.”

You can read the full press release on JB Powell’s website. Nothing like some party infighting. I’m sure this will bring Powell a few votes. I just don’t see Gary Black losing this race.

Update: In July Gary Black recieved 425,001 votes. Darwin Carter received 134,022 votes. JB Powell received 289,833 votes. If every person who voted for Carter voted for Powell, he’d still be a bit behind Black. That’s a pretty useless number as not everyone who voted for Carter will follow him in support of Powell and there will be a Libertarian candidate in the field this November as well. I just wanted to put things in perspective.

1. TPNoGa says:

So, I guess it’s safe to assume Mr. Carter will not be running in any race as a Republican. I would say his GOP career is D-U-N!

2. Midtown Voter says:

I think it is important directionally to look at how many votes candidates got in the Democratic and Republican primaries, but there will be a lot more people voting in the general election than the primary and I don’t think using numbers from the primaries is accurate, but it does generally show that Republicans should win all or most races in November.

It is interesting to see cross party endorsements and I wish more Democrats and Republicans had the guts to do it and wouldn’t get punished by their party or voters for doing so. We need to move beyond partisan politics and realize that there are good and bad folks from both parties.

If Darwin Carter is endorsing JB Powell, that should make anyone who is conservative and free thinking take a serious look at this race before deciding who to vote for.

• Ron Daniels says:

I don’t think using primary numbers is accurate either.

That’s a pretty useless number as not everyone who voted for Carter will follow him in support of Powell and there will be a Libertarian candidate in the field this November as well. I just wanted to put things in perspective.

I don’t think there is much to infer, other than the fact that Carter had minimum support within his party. I still think Black wins pretty handily.

3. I’m still undecided in the Ag Commissioner race. I’m either voting for Kevin Cherry or JB Powell. Powell supports the legalization of parimutuel betting on horse racing, Black doesn’t. I’m not particularly fond of a lobbyist becoming an elected official in the field that he’s been lobbying for either. I’ve got a bit more research to do in this race but I’ve at least narrowed my choices down to two.

• Not a problem. I’m a Libertarian, but I don’t always vote party lines like some in the GOP here do. I look for the best person for the job. I just honestly don’t know enough about Kevin yet to know if he’s the right guy for the job. Same for Powell. I’m not saying Black would do a bad job either… I just have my reservations about him.

• polisavvy says:

I don’t vote a straight party ticket, either. I vote for the person I think will best represent the interests of the state (city or county) and our interests on a federal level. [I probably shouldn’t have said that — I may get in trouble with the diehards].

• Good to hear! I’m actually considering running for office at some point myself, though I haven’t decided under which party yet. (I’ll keep the office I’m thinking about running for to myself for the moment.)

I’d love to run as a Libertarian, but I’m concerned with the current state of election results in Georgia. I’m not sure I want to try and become the first elected Libertarian to something more than just city council in Georgia. But I also don’t totally fit within either the Democratic or Republican parties.

I don’t hate gay people, which means I’m not qualified to run as a Republican. I prefer smaller government, which means that I’m not qualified to run as a Republican or Democrat. I’m pro-gambling legalization, which again nixes me from the GOP. But perhaps if I ran under the GOP I could actually get elected and effect change.

Either way, only time will tell. Maybe in 2, 4 or 6 years or so I’ll have the time and energy to devote to something like that.

• polisavvy says:

Well, I guess I should turn in my “republican card” if everything you mentioned is true because I like gays, prefer smaller government, am for pro-gambling, believe a woman (not the government) should decide whether she gives birth or not, and am for Sunday sales. My ballot in November will cast votes for people in different parties. I don’t straight party ticket my votes because not all candidates appeal to me. Believe it or not, until W ran for President, I had NEVER voted for a republican. He was my first.

• Sounds like we hold very similar views. If the GOP held those same views and actually practiced them I’d eagerly join the GOP today. However, it’s views on issues such as gambling, abortion, Sunday sales, etc. necessitate the need for a third party in Georgia.

I’m also pro-re-legalizing hemp. When grown industrially there’s hardly any THC and it’s a very versatile fiber – used for clothing, animal bedding, oils for health products, food and even alternative fuels. Plenty of other countries have figured this out by now. The US is lagging behind the times when it comes to this particular issue. Until it can be legally grown in the US, we’ll continue to import already manufactured products from other countries such as Canada.

• polisavvy says:

I don’t understand the rigidity of the GOP on many of the issues you raised. I agree with you about hemp as well. To my knowledge, the only place where it is legally grown (or at least the largest cultivated area) is on the campus of Ole Miss. As far as the benefits of hemp, I use a moisturizer that has hemp in it — it’s the only thing that will really help me with dry winter skin. I buy it from Canada.

4. Unless Darwin Carter can give a compelling reason for endorsing Powell then he’s pretty much done as a politician. Without that compelling reason he will never receive a statewide nomination by any major party. He simply won’t be trusted.

5. drjay says:

ah yes jb powell, the man who, oddly enough, became fairly wealthy through his gov’t contacts after leaving the county commission in augusta, and then told a horrendous string of lies about randy hall to get elected to the state senate in 04…

6. David_g says:

I voted for Gary Black in the primary, but JB Powell has won my vote because of his strong stance for consumer choice and limited government regulation.

7. truth says:

I don’t see Carter being a sore loser. He simply did not have the funding to be the leading candidate. Apparently he is a moral and ethical person who doesn’t care that “he will never receive a Republican statewide nomination”. I see him as someone who thinks outside the partisan box and supports the candidate he feels will be the best choice for the people of Georgia, not special interests, i.e. big ag companies. Black lobbys for the big ag companies. Where do you think his loyalties lie? As Ag Commissioner, how can he look after their interests and the small farm producers and others? You cannot serve two masters. He will serve the ones financially supporting his campaign.

I know both candidates and will be voting for JB Powell.