Tyrone Brooks on the GA Voter ID law

The fossilized remains of state Representative Tyrone Brooks (D) were interviewed yesterday concerning the Georgia Voter ID law which is currently before the Georgia Supreme Court. If you don’t have five minutes to spend watching, allow me to summarize: “The law is draconian! DRACONIAN! Did you hear me, it’s DRACONIAN! Who cares that no one has been kept from voting…it’s DRACONIAN! People don’t want to have to prove who they are! Who cares that many democrats support the law! I’ve been under the Gold Dome for 30 flippin’ years! Listen to me: DRACONIAN….’nuff said!”

1. Jane says:

If I remember right Representative Tyrone Brooks took money from Guy Milner in the 90’s to endorse a GOP candidate for Governer. Any one else remember that?

2. So let me see if I have this correct… Mr. Brooks wants me to have the ability to walk into the precinct where he votes, tell the poll worker that my name is Tyrone Brooks and cast a ballot. Does that about sum it up?

• hannah says:

If Tyrone Brooks is the name you registered under, that would be correct. People can use any name they like, as long as they’re not trying to deceive. Fraud is a crime. But, like all other crimes, it has to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. Our system of justice presumes that individuals are honorable and law-abiding until they demonstrate otherwise.
      If the state wants to insure that the person who shows up to vote looks the same as the person who registered, let them take a picture when a person registers and keep the picture on file.
      It’s what we do when people apply for a license to drive. The problem with trying to use the same document is that the criteria are different. The license to drive is based on the ability to operate an automotive vehicle. It has nothing to do with performing the obligations of citizenship. As Justice Kennedy explains, “the issuance of a permit is not a matter of grace.” If the conditions of the permit have been satisfied, it must be issued because the permitted activity is presumably beneficial, albeit potentially hazardous. Casting a ballot is not a permittable matter. Casting a ballot is an obligation of citizenship. The fact that we don’t enforce it is evidence that we’re a free society that accommodates freeloaders.

• hannah – but without having to show a photo identification of some sort, how do they know that I am who I say that I am? Are they just supposed to take my word for it? I understand that it’s illegal. That’s why we’ve got so many issues of voter fraud here in Georgia though. I think simply asking for some identification to verify that you are who you say you are is reasonable – especially since a driver’s license is not the only piece of identification that is acceptable.

3. Lone Star Georgian says:

Fossilized remains?

I have to say, as Pete Randall has come to dominate the FP over time, the posts have taken a decidedly nasty, less professional tone than they did (or do) under other posters. If the goal, Pete, is to run off everyone with a different perspective so that an ever-shrinking echo chamber can hurl verbal grenades and be proud of itself, bravo. I’m starting to think that this site is totally irrelevant to state politics because the adults left the room.

4. Kudzu35 says:

Stop it… its too much.. ::beating head on desk::

It takes $10 and about a 3 hour long wait (at the max) to get a learner’s permit to drive in this state. Its valid for 24 months. A state issued ID is $25 to $35 depending on the length of time you want it to be valid. Why, oh Holy God, do people continue to call this a measure to disenfranchise voters? Its rather simple and its becoming a point where its laughable. I have to show an ID card to prevent misuse of my credit cards. I have to show an ID to get on a plane. I have to show an ID card to pick up tickets to Braves games… why the hell do these people complain about showing an ID to vote?

• hannah says:

Private corporations are not limited as are public corporations. Private corporations are free to make all sorts of demands of customers and clients whose rights public corporations are required to honor and respect. Airlines and ball clubs are all private corporations. They demand picture IDs to protect themselves from being liable for fraud. Of course, since most fraud is perpetrated by employees, the effort is largely worthless, except as an annoyance. Why private corporations are keen on annoyance is a puzzlement. Perhaps it’s because annoying most customers makes it possible to give some preferential treatment and the preferred customers are willing to pay more.
      Exclusivity is in a constant contest with equality. It’s important to some people to consider themselves better than someone else. Which suggests that the opponents of equality have a lot of personal insecurity to deal with.

• hannah – so you believe that requesting identification is silly, eh? Let’s say you get pulled over for speeding. The officer asks for your driver’s license, insurance and registration. Do you just reply “Well, officer, my name is Hannah and I promise you I’m legally allowed to drive. I am insured and the registration on my car is current. Is there anything else you’d like to know?” … or do you just hand him the documents he’s asking for?

You see, that’s why they call it voter *fraud*. It’s not because people are being honest about who they are when they’re casting a vote… it’s because they’re being dishonest. I’m certainly open to hearing about other measures we might put in place to prevent voter fraud, but so far asking someone to prove who they are seems to be the best choice I’ve heard so far. What alternative would you have us adopt?

• SFCWallace says:

“Georgia law provides for the issuance of a free identification card to citizens eighteen (18) and over who are registered voters. In order to be eligible for a free identification card, the voter must have no acceptable proof of identity to use when voting. These free identification cards are issued at all Customer Service Centers and are valid for ten (10) years.”