Taliban: Jim Marshall could see the whites of our eyes! Death to the infidel!

Jim Marshall (D-Spending Your Tax Dollars Daily) has been over in Pakistan the last few days where he was hard at work bringing jobs back to the 8th Congressional District. No? How about he’s over there representing the pressing interests of his constituents in that country? Still wrong? Okay, okay, he’s just on a fancy trip over there to press the flesh and look all important. Feel better?

Anyway, Marshall, himself a former U.S. Army Ranger and member of the Ranger Hall of Fame, also visited with Special Forces in Afghanistan. While there he said something quite interesting.

“I spoke with members of the Special Force, or Green Beret, A-Teams. These are people who live with the people there and train them to defend and take care of themselves,” Marshall said. “On a previous visit, I stood at (a base camp) and had soldiers point out Taliban who were a few hundred yards away, armed and within shooting distance. Today, that’s not the case.”

Let me understand this. A sitting member of the U.S. House of Representatives was previously allowed to visit a base camp in a foreign land where armed members of an opposing force were camped the distance of a few football fields away and were within firing range to kill him?

Who is more dense? The public affairs officer that decided this would be a good place for a visit or the elected official who went knowing that if an attack, of even a limited nature, did take place the soldiers would have to direct significant focus and attention to his protection? Perhaps the terrain was such that any movement would have been immediately detected by our forces, but remember, their base was already, according to Marshall, within firing range. I’ll happily defer to those with more military experience here and elsewhere to help mold my thinking so I’m not ready to call “toro feces” on this statement from Marshall…yet…but it is most curious.

Oh, Hillary Clinton just called in to remind us how heavy the sniper fire was when she landed in Bosnia 14 years ago, as well.

1. ZazaPachulia says:

Hey, at least he’s engaged. I have a hard time criticizing Marshall for visiting with soldiers, especially when his background makes him one of the more qualified Congressmen to do so (and present soldiers’ concerns to his colleagues).

This post is a tacky and weak “cheap shot”… Just like the Congressman’s negative ad on Scott about immigration.

• seenbetrdayz, Ph.D. says:

I think it’s weak as well, but for a different reason.

I mean, I’m trying to figure out why someone who doesn’t like Congressman Marshall is angry about him being within striking distance of the enemy.

There comes a point at which it seems that folks absolutely strain to find something to attack others with.

Just sayin’.

• seenbetrdayz, Ph.D. says:

I think it’s kind of gutsy for Congress critters to go overseas to where the troops are fighting daily—that’s with my opinions on Marshall and the ‘War on Terror’, notwithstanding.

So, if this post was supposed to be an attack piece . . . it backfired.

2. ZazaPachulia says:

And I think Saxby called Austin. They’ve got photos of Osama available for use, just in case the Scott campaign wants to follow Saxby’s lead and disparage a veteran with the dirtiest and most low-class attack ad in American history.

• I know the Official Democrat History of the United States has Saxby beating Max Cleland because of an ad, but Max Cleland lost that seat when he voted against funding SDI and against a ban on partial birth abortions the same week.

Cleland lost because he was too liberal.

And as for negative ads, Jim Marshall has already gone there. That, of course, is no surprise.

As for Marshall’s trips to see the troops, let’s be honest and tip our caps and say, “Thanks.” It’s when Marshall is in Washington voting to raise the federal debt limit or voting to spend more money that he’s dangerous. And as for accomplishing something positive in the US House, well let’s be honest about that, too. He doesn’t.

Jim Marshall = Hamster-like Leadership

• James Fannin says:

I was one of those veterans who got the mailer from Saxby that seemed “over-the-top” to me and I was mad a Saxby because I thought it was wrongheaded and would harm him. But Saxby did not win that seat by going negative or questioning Cleland’s patriotism, he won it in spite of those bad ads and because Max Cleland was hopelessly out of step with the voters of Georgia. Cleland actually voted against renewing the charter for the Boy Scouts for goodness sake. Could you be more out of step? Or consider his vote against the creation of DHS because there weren’t enough union protections. The Democratic party bosses cared about that stuff but Georgians certainly didn’t and Cleland demonstrated that he needed to go.

I suspect Marshall is also going to be toast given the political climate but traveling to Afghanistan is dangerous business and no boondogle. Marshall, the son and grandson of Army generals, dropped out of Princeton as an 18 year old freshman to get in the fight in Vietnam and he led troops in combat as a young sergeant for a solid year. I don’t like who he voted for for Speaker and don’t like a lot of his other votes but agree with those posting that it is just wrong to take cheap shots at him for visiting troops in combat.

• redderstate says:

I agree that Cleland did not lose because of that ad. His voting record was out of step with Georgia’s values, which are generally conservative. Even if you really believe in unions (I know, I know!), I can’t figure how you would think it was a good idea to hold up creating the Department of Homeland Security in the wake of 9/11 because you wanted the TSA’ers to be unionized. Very backward priorities.

• James Fannin says:

I was one of those veterans who got the mailer from Saxby that seemed “over-the-top” to me and I was mad a Saxby because I thought it was wrongheaded and would harm him. But the Democratic history is wrong on this one. Saxby did not win that seat by going negative or questioning Cleland’s patriotism, he won it in spite of that and because Max Cleland was hopelessly out of step with the voters of Georgia and in bed with the Democratic liberal elite. Cleland actually voted against renewing the charter for the Boy Scouts for goodness sake. Could there be a better definition of “out of step”? Or consider his vote against Zell Miller to the create DHS. Cleland was concerned there weren’t enough union protections. The Democratic party bosses cared about that stuff but Georgians certainly didn’t and Cleland demonstrated that he really needed to go.

As for Jim Marshall, I suspect he is also going to be toast given the political climate but traveling to Afghanistan is dangerous business and no boondogle and no photo op. Marshall, the son and grandson of Army generals, dropped out of Princeton as an 18 year old freshman to get in the fight in Vietnam and he led troops in combat as a young sergeant for a solid year. I don’t like who he voted for for Speaker and don’t like a lot of his other votes but agree with those posting that it is just wrong for some REMF to take cheap shots at him for going in harm’s way and visiting troops in combat. He may not know what he is doing on the House floor but he definitely knows what to do on the battlefield.

3. slyram says:

(Bad joke warning) An officer in WWII tells his troops that tomorrow morning 5,000 Germans will come across that hill and when I give the order, you should fire at will. A young guy raises his hand and says, “Sir, out of 5,000 Germans, how am I going to know which one is Will.”

One thing about those Rangers who were trained in Columbus is that they don’t back down. I remember the Marshall ad after the tarp vote (or stimulus.) He looked into the camera and basically said I am going to do what I think is right and if you don’t like it you can have this seat.

I think Rangers are like U.S. Marines and are quick to point out that they are not “former” but just non-active duty until they die. Best believe that Marshall would have grabbed a weapon if shots came from those hills. What if we had a “do over” with Marshall being the Secretary of the Army, R.J. Hadley running for that congressional seat rather than U.S. Senate (the whole NY 23 mess would have been avoided.) In my little political mind, Hadley would seem fresher to Dem voters but Austin still would get the seat.

I am not a betting person but I would bet my last money that the words “Democrat” or “Obama” never make a Marshall ad this year. I miss Travis Fain’s political reporting because who is going to ask Rep. Marshall if he is committed to not switching parties after getting all that Dem campaign support.

He really isn’t a bad guy but the times and his party have changed under him. In the early 90s, Georgia conservative congressional Democrats retired or moved to other positions (Rep. Ed Jenkins, Rep. Doug Barnard, Rep. Lindsey Thomas) rather than being at odds with a changing party.) Marshall should have been “in country” this week as the Sec of Army and could have been position to be Sec of DOD.