Like things the way they are?

Jim Marshall needs your help.

It doesn’t matter what district you live in (I’m from the Sixth District and because of Obama/Bush policies, am too poor to make a difference), you CAN keep things just the way they are this November. We have an ever-expanding government here in the United States and it’s up to us to keep it that way. A major step in the “Same” (no pun intended) direction would be to make sure that true, party-line Democrats are elected to Congress. Jim has the experience and friends that we need in Washington to maintain the status quo. He is in a heated election versus an upstart Republican nobody who doesn’t support Obamacare and hates children.

This race is not the only one I am 110% uncommitted to in Georgia. It’s not about a Democratic majority in Congress as it is making sure that government is involved in every facet of our lives. If you agree that our country is headed in the right direction and that we to take drastic steps to move further in that direction, then join me and Nancy Pelosi in supporting Jim Marshall for Congress. ANY donation will help us keep a real fiscally irresponsible Democrat, not a refreshing change-of-pace, in Congress.

• Jace Walden says:

Seth,

GOP Politics is a game of Six Degrees of Nancy Pelosi.

Well start here:

(1) Jim Marshall is a Democrat
      (2) The President of the United States is a Democrat
      (3) Congress has to pass a bill before its signed by the President of the United States
      (4) Congress passed the law known as Obamacare
      (5) Nancy Pelosi was instrumental in pushing through Obamacare
      (6) Nancy Pelosi received Jim Marshall’s vote for Speaker of the House

Conclusion:

Jim Marshall voted for Obamacare

• polisavvy says:

And let’s not forget, Nancy Pelosi allowed him to vote “no” to save face in the district on health care.

• polisavvy says:

If you are “given” permission because your vote is not needed to pass it in order to not lose votes and support in your district, what’s the difference in voting for it and getting a pass to say no? How did he really feel about the vote? That’s a bigger question to be answered. Health care was and still is too unpopular a topic in the 8th and one that a simple “permission to vote no” is not going to cut it with voters.

• Velasco says:

polisavvy –

Go ahead and submit some evidence of this “permission to vote no” or stop talking out your @$$.

I’m not a Marshall fan at all – but you trying to determine his intent for a vote is asinine, unless you have some recorded conversation between him and Pelosi….

• polisavvy says:

The only evidence I can tell you I have is that when all the talk was going on that entire weekend of the vote (I was glued to my television, BTW) about whether or not Stupak and his group were going to vote for or against the thing, I recall it being brought up by them. It was mentioned on two different news sources. I certainly didn’t make it up. I’m not that creative and you give me way too much credit if you think I’m that creative. As a general rule, I try to refrain from talking out of my a$$. I also don’t assume that everything anyone is saying is a complete and total lie. Perhaps you should do the same.

• TheEiger says:

We need a guaranteed NO vote from Austin Scott instead of Marshall’s “May I please vote no to save my seat Ms. Pelosi?”

• polisavvy says:

You are exactly correct, Eiger. That’s what you’ll get with Austin Scott — a guaranteed vote that was not cast with the permission of the Speaker (whoever it ends up being).

• ZazaPachulia says:

Wait, I thought the reason we liked Austin is because he was a maverick — not a guaranteed GOP vote… Anyone remember the flag? Or how about his stance on zero based budgeting (against) and campus carry (against)?

I wish I could be voting for Austin in November instead of Deal. But I can’t. I already gave money to Scott’s campaign, but that was before qualifying week. He ain’t getting any more of my dough.

• polisavvy says:

What I meant to say, and apparently didn’t articulate well enough — it would be a guaranteed vote that was a vote HE thought HE should cast and not a vote simply cast to stay in step with everyone else much less a vote cast because he got permission. I think that’s a pretty fair description of a maverick, don’t you?

You really don’t get the whole flag thing, do you? It wasn’t because he was turning his back on his heritage. It was because he thought it was the best thing to do for the State for the reason that some businesses would not do business within the State as long as that flag was flying. Thank God Sonny got us a better looking flag than that ugly thing Barnes crammed down our throats, that’s for sure.

As far as voting for him in November, well I will be; however, like you, I would much rather be voting for him for Governor. And, at the end of the day, I bet that there are a lot of others who feel the same and would now support him gladly over Deal. There certainly wouldn’t be ethics questions standing in the way, that’s for sure.

• chefdavid says:

Can I get a moderator to move all these off topic post to the Tyler Austin Post. This one was hilarious. I to wish I could be voting for Austin for Gov. right now.

• ZazaPachulia says:

“You really don’t get the whole flag thing, do you?”

Yes I do. Scott got it completely right. I agree with him and admire him for taking that stand. I really liked Scott in the governor’s race and I can’t vote for him for GA-8 because I live in GA-13.

I bet that if Scott wins, he’ll do better than Georgia’s worst attendance record and CREWs ’15 Most Corrupt List’ in Congress.

• polisavvy says:

You and I do this to one another all the time. I think you’re saying one thing when in actuality we are just agreeing with one another. Yup, he’ll do better than Deal, if he wins.

• Progressive Dem says:

He can cast a vote for Boehner who heped rounded up support for the Bush no strings attached TARP bailout. He can vote to retain tax cuts for millionaires. He can vote against federal funds for programs like the Race to the Top, unemployment insurance and transportation spending.

• Baker says:

#6 there is the key. If he’s elected, she’s more likely to remain Speaker. That’s it. I would think that’s all anyone would need to say.

1. polisavvy says:

Let’s see how long it is until those who commented about Austin Scott “begging” start yammering about how this is such a wonderful and noble cause.

• polisavvy says:

I did; but, I’m sure you’ve noticed that some just jump on the first written words and never click on a provided link. I was just kind of baiting them. Sorry if you misunderstood why intentions — I certainly understood your intentions. Pretty funny stuff, Jace! 🙂

2. ZazaPachulia says:

It would have been funnier if you’d have just reprinted the Scott post and changed the names around a bit.

• polisavvy says:

OMG. Could you imagine the confusion? I wish they’d do it on a future post, on any topic, just to see what happens. Could be hysterically funny!! 🙂

3. Not saying I buy the whole BS about getting “permission” but anyone care to tell me what the functional difference between someone who votes No because it’s their “conviction” and someone votes No because they were given “permission”.

As far as I can tell the 8th district was probably against health care reform and their representative voted against it. The ultimate problem for a lot of people on this site (and in the tea party movement etc) is that the entire country voted in 2008 with the highest turnout and most number of voters ever and those voters elected a Congress that narrowly decided it wanted to do health care reform.

Now, do those voters have a right to change their mind or decide that they don’t really care anymore and either vote the other way this time or not show up to vote for more of the same? Certainly. But this whole take my country back bs is offensive when they started it up immediately (and I’m talking like March of 09) after we had the highest turnout in history and the people’s representatives decided to progress on what the people that voted for them told them they wanted them to do if they got elected.

• polisavvy says:

You raise valid points; however, you missed one very important point. People wanted health care and voted for Obama in ’08 because he promised it. However, once the health care debate cranked up, people saw how expensive it was going to be, where cuts were going to have to be made in order to fund it, stipulations/limitations, etc. that it changed the minds of the voters. And yes, they do have a right to change their minds.

Apparently some feel strongly enough about Congress in ’10 and the whole Pelosi attitude of let’s just pass the Bill and then read it mentality that the voters are saying they have had enough. Plus, a whole lot of people voted for “hope” and “change” — two words which apparently have two different meanings. Now that people are realizing what the “hope” and “change” are going to do to them, their businesses, and families, they have decided they have had enough. Words without definition are just that — words!

• iLarynx says:

No doubt that once Glenn Beck explained the costs of health insurance reform, lots of viewers got “cranked up” (excellent choice of words, BTW). But, how much will it actually cost?

A better question though, is how much will it cost when compared to the plummeting costs of health care under the insurance company system that have dropped so precipitously in the past ten years?*

*(Sarcasm is ok on this post, right?)

• polisavvy says:

Sarcasm is always okay with me and appreciated. Believe it or not, I don’t have to have my thought process controlled by Glenn Beck — I try to avoid him because I think he’s too out there for me. I tried watching him; but, not a big fan of men who cry at the drop of a hat. I actually managed to read the entire thing. It was probably was the most boring, laborious, confusing piece of legislation I have ever tried to read. You almost needed a translator.

4. iLarynx says:

YES! Take us back two years to August 26th, 2008, where, after eight years of Republican rule, America was the land of milk and honey and heading on an ever-upward track – the sky was the limit! Dow 36,000!

Ah, glory days indeed!

Who knew that the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia were so thick?

• polisavvy says:

Are you trying to tell us that these are the ‘glory days’ we have dreamed of our entire life? Plus, didn’t the dems take back over Congress in ’06? If I recall correctly, they took control on January 5, 2007. They have been there four years. Are we really any better than before?

5. I don’t care that Marshall is a permissive “no” vote against the Democrat agenda when they don’t need his vote to move it forward. I do care that Marshall is a guaranteed “yes” vote for Nancy Pelsoi for Speaker.

If you like the work Nancy Pelsoi is doing as Speaker then vote for Jim Marshall so he can continue to keep Pelsoi Speaker.

6. Baker says:

Not that this would surprise anyone, but Marshall is really trying to buck up his conservative credentials. He recently wrote a lengthy article for National Review about the health care thing.

7. slyram says:

Some folks down here love hearing a Democrat slam the Democrats. I rather that came from someone else. Rep. Marshall is in a McCain district and walks a fine line but don’t take Obama supporters for granted because Ds and Rs who were around in 1994 remember that solutions-oriented Republicans (Newt and company) improved Bill Clinton presidency.

If you notice, Austin Scott has a little Scott Brown style working—he doesn’t scare moderates and moderates are the key to winning in swing districts or states. Rep. Marshall is honest in that ad when he says, “I try to do what is right for my country and Georgia.” The question is how will that play with diehard Democrats who are strong Obama supporters. Wise Dems in Macon have backed Marshall for years but they are getting a little uneasy. The White House needs to signal what up in this race. I could see Austin Scott, Tim Scott of SC and Mario Rubio getting with Rep. Paul Ryan, Senator Brown and a few others to create a team inside the GOP focused on real solutions.