Welcome To The Show Fellas (And Ladies).

August 24, 2010 19:21 pm

by Buzz Brockway · 75 comments

A new blog launched this week and we want to welcome them to the Georgia blogosphere. We Are Politics begins with a large number of writers. Many of the writers will be familiar to PP regulars. Jeff Breedlove will serve as publisher.

Chris Brown of Hall County, Brian Donegan Chairman of Can Do Conservatives of America, Debbie Dooley of Georgia Tea Party Patriots, Karen England executive director of the Capitol Resource Institute in California, Melvin Everson recent statewide candidate and grassroots leader, Sadie Fields who has worked in Christian activism for the past 20 years, Sam Fleet Georgia State Director of the Pickens Plan, Virginia Galloway Georgia State Director of Americans for Prosperity, Micah Gravely of Paulding County, Shawn Hanley chairman of the Fulton County Republican Party, Rhubarb Jones the longest running morning radio personality in the Atlanta radio market, Bill Knowles of Bibb County, Michael Opitz Chairman of the Madison Forum, Mark Rountree President and CEO of Landmark Communications Inc., Maria Sheffield recent statewide candidate and grassroots leader, Keith Stone of Berrien County, John Taylor President of Homeland Security Strategy, Pat Tippett State Co-Chair for Georgia Conservatives in Action, Taylor Wells of Fayette County, Gabe Winslow of Oregon, and Martha Zoller host of the Martha Zoller radio program.

Jim Galloway described We Are Politics as “competition” for Peach Pundit. We disagree. There is plenty of room in Georgia’s blogosphere for all of us. So we say welcome to the show fellas (and ladies) and good luck.

Doug Deal August 24, 2010 at 7:34 pm

If you mean “competition” in acting as as an echo chamber and apologists for the GOP establishment, you are right. PP could never compete with that lineup.

Supporting “conservative” ideas like home buying giveaways, big government social programs out of Washington, corruption here in Georgia and boat ramps for everyone.

Daniel N. Adams August 24, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Agree with DD
Looks like
We Are Politics = redSTATEgaECHOchamber.com

Winnersville USA August 24, 2010 at 8:49 pm

If they can get more than the 21 people currently online at peach pundit, they are on the right track.

In terms of qualifications, let me see if we can get some apples to apples comparison here:

-Jason “smokes lucky strikes and drives a Prius” Pye
-Erick “the only winner I’ve picked is Jim Marshall” Erickson
-Tyler “at least i didn’t vote for Marshall” Burgess
-Buzz “a rare bastion of credibility” Brockway
-Daniel “so you’re saying theres a chance” Adams
-Icarus “where do I start with this guy not gonna bother” Icarus
-Chris “cry me a river and build me a bridge ” Ferris
-”Not really” In “but close enough to” The Arena
-John “thank God hes not a congressman” Konop
-S “bet shes a firecracker but still dont wanna bring her home to momma” Frazier
-Pine Knot “Relevant”
-Lady “formerly known as Republican Lady until they said Kyle change your name we’re moderates” Thinker

There will always be a place somewhere for this motley crue.

John Konop August 24, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Winnersville USA,

If I was your Congressman you would not gotten support for No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D, bridges to nowhere in the Highway Bill, Farm Bill, No oversight of government backed loans that created a massive bailout………

I am not a front page poster just a private businessman that pays his bills.

Lady Thinker August 24, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Winnersville,

Who is this Kyle you accuse me of being? Several people on here who have met me would beg to differ.

Jason August 24, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I thought I drove a Jeep and smoked cigars.

David Staples August 25, 2010 at 8:27 am

Perhaps he’s getting you confused with Jason Nye.

Jason August 25, 2010 at 11:31 am

No, Nye drives a friggin’ Maserati and smokes a hookah.

macho August 25, 2010 at 9:49 am

Looks like the new blog is Ox, Sheffield, Hawkins and Everson people – winnersville.

macho August 24, 2010 at 8:51 pm

WeArePoltics= John Oxendine

Ambernappe August 26, 2010 at 10:43 am

Well, that may be enough to quash a large percentage of potential readers ! Sounds strange though, because some of the people listed, at least privately, express disdain of Mr. Oxendine.

John Konop August 24, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I think the PP should add some women and a few democrats to spice up the blog. The diversity of opinions is what makes the blog interesting. And with a very close race for governor and all three parties playing a pivotal part, it could be a very interesting debate.

Pine Knot August 24, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I agree JK. It would be interesting if they added a few women, a few Democrats, and a few Republicans. We have Erick, but I’m talking about some more party loyalists as well. DG could be promoted to FP. :)

John Konop August 24, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Pine Knot,

I agree and think you would be a very good addition.

Pine Knot August 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm

You and Doug would be very good additions. Although that might not be a good idea. LOL. Both of you would do great. BTW, I support all of your points aimed at winnersville. You may ask why I support Nathan Deal. I support him because this election is very important, redistricting is coming, and if you look at King Roy’s contributions, you can see that he is a full fledged Democrat. He tries to run from Obama, but if you do your research you can see who he is with.

David Staples August 25, 2010 at 8:29 am

“I support him because this election is very important”

When is an election not important?

TPNoGa August 25, 2010 at 3:18 pm

1998

Doug Deal August 24, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I agree. This blog went greatly down hill when it started to morph into Redstate Jr. Still, it has a lot more potential than WearyWe Are Politics.

Ambernappe August 26, 2010 at 10:47 am

DD,
I like the humor, wish it had been my idea.

Romegaguy August 25, 2010 at 9:19 pm

GOPeach for front page

View from Brookhaven August 24, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Outside of Rhubarb, that list sucks.

Harry August 24, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Real fiscal conservatism means cutting state employees by 20%.

LoyaltyIsMyHonor August 25, 2010 at 10:51 am

Honestly, that wouldn’t save much money unless you include teachers also.

John Konop August 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Harry,

The cuts will be coming especially with the 18 billion dollar healthcare liability coming due more and more every year.

Harry August 24, 2010 at 10:35 pm

John,

Are you planning on attending the FreedomWorks event? I’d like to meet you.

John Konop August 25, 2010 at 7:17 am

Harry,

When is it? I would also enjoy meeting you.

lukethedrifter August 25, 2010 at 9:24 am

Get a room guys.

Harry August 25, 2010 at 11:45 am

It’s from 5 to 7 this evening. Erik Erickson is supposed to be there, along with Dick Armey, Debbie Dooley, and other such luminaries. It’s at Roswell Adult Recreation Center – Ballroom, 830 Grimes Bridge Road, Roswell, GA 30075. It’s free, but you may also wish to buy Dick Armey’s book which will be on sale. Armey of course is a flat tax advocate, among other things.

John Konop August 25, 2010 at 11:53 am

Harry,

I will call my boss (my wife) and see if I can make it.

griftdrift August 25, 2010 at 7:42 am

“Some liberal named Alex Sink…”

She’s the Chief Financial Officer of the state of Florida.

Scintillating commentary.

lukethedrifter August 25, 2010 at 9:26 am

Unlike your normal post: “How’s Florida going Erick?”

griftdrift August 25, 2010 at 10:18 am

Yep. That’s all I ever say. Lawsy me. You done caught me red-handed! Keep up the good work, super trooper!

It the entire commentary on something is going to be insulting the opponent, at least use something a tad more creative than “stupid liberal”

TPNoGa August 25, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Since you bring up Florida, I often wonder why Georgia can’t have more Republicans who are impressive like Jeb and Marco. Those two are beyond sharp. They make you want to vote FOR them, not just against the other guy. Austin Scott??? Do people think he has the “it” factor?

Chris August 25, 2010 at 3:44 pm

You lost me after “Chief Fin”. *yawn* I wonder what’s on E!…..

BTW, since it’s covered below, Rubio is polling ahead of Crist.

Ambernappe August 26, 2010 at 10:51 am

Alex Sink – former Florida Secretary of State. Remember her from the “election of hanging chads”? Not an upper drawer intellect.

Tireless August 25, 2010 at 8:19 am

It would be nice if we had a GA based blog that featured legitimate conservative writers. PP’s love affair with the RINO Handel tool strongly suggests this blog is a far cry from being a conservative hotbed.

Steve August 25, 2010 at 8:51 am

Heh… I was actually just thinking the exact same thing, but probably from the reverse angle.

So many newcomers came to Peach Pundit during this year’s primary season, and didn’t really know anything about the blog other than that it’s run by the RedState guy. They certainly have no idea what the place looked like back in its real motley crew glory days of 2 or 3 years ago.

So in every other thread, you now see a few comments along the lines of, “What is with all the diversity in thought on this ‘conservative Republican’ blog? Ugh!”. I think it actually would be best for everyone if there was a straight-up party line “Mini-RedState” alternative for those folks to call home.

Ambernappe August 26, 2010 at 10:57 am

And I thought an important part of my career was over. Karen Handel is a Republican in theory AND practice.

analogkid August 26, 2010 at 9:15 pm

That sounded a lot like an admission to having been on Handel’s payroll. Just sayin.

John Konop August 25, 2010 at 9:27 am

Tireless,

Which candidate in your mind was a real conservative and based on policy and voting record why?

macho August 25, 2010 at 9:57 am

Couldn’t agree more John. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what it means to be a Conservative. I’m starting to think it’s getting the largest group yelling that you’re a Conservative.

Many of the things that Deal voted for – from prescription drug benefits to massive bailouts were astronomically liberal. I don’t really know why he gets the Conservative label – I guess Deal talked a good talk. Actual votes seem to be irrelevant. When you vote for huge funding for abortions the excuse is, “well it was a long time ago and he was a Democrat and voted with the leadership – he’s grown on the issue now.” When you vote for massive growth in the Federal Government the excuse is, “he was a Republican and voted with the leadership – he’s grown on the issue now.”

B Balz August 25, 2010 at 10:35 am

To me, objectivity and intellectual honesty ought to be benchmarks for a successful political blog. Objectivity is the ability to observe the political process with one’s recognized and disclosed biases, and not overtly influence the outcome. Clearly that is not how PP rolls.

PP ought to legally comply with the same ethics disclosures that any other advocacy group is required to observe. Without any doubt, PP tried to influence the election of candidate Handel , and subsequently destroy the efforts of our current GOP nominee.

For PP to avoid or even argue against disclosure is hypocritical and denies the very ethics laws some contributors screeched about. In essence, this is the reason others will fill the void for a true voice of conservatism in Georgia.

Steve August 25, 2010 at 10:54 am

We revealed that SpaceyG was a female a couple of years back… and it looks like Pete Randall and Erick Erickson actually AREN’T the same person. What else you need? :)

John Konop August 25, 2010 at 10:57 am

B Balz,

HUH? The PP front page supporters of Karen were very clear. And the blog did have some very vigorous debate from all sides.

I would argue that the Democrats and women were the most underserved relative to front page posting. And I do realize that both sides would rather have the news feed to them with a major bias like at Fox and MSNBC than actual deal with the issues pragmatically.

The new blog might be very successful but is obviously designed as a cheerleading section for the GOP. And if that is what you like it is America and hold hands together and chant.

The sad part is it seems both sides would rather use an issue to divide people and fire up the base than solve any problems.

B Balz August 25, 2010 at 11:32 am

“…The sad part is it seems both sides would rather use an issue to divide people and fire up the base than solve any problems….” This division will signal the end of the American experiment if we are not able to rise above our political divides and come together to address the large issues that threaten our way of life. (Nationally: Unsustainable debt, impending medicare/caid/social security defaults. Georgia: $1Bn budget hole, unfunded State health care benefit obligations.)

As to PP points, my opinion is the events leading up the the primary, and post primary comments by some FP contributors were confusing, venal, and completely unproductive.

John, I suggest we look no further than the mirror when it comes to dividing the base. Not gonna argue it, but the feuds, overblown sense of importance, and sheer nastiness (that last characterization would be you, Mr. Chris Farris) have defined PP to many new readers.

I for one, shall choose not to embrace that definition. Some may be happy that my contributions will be fewer as a result.

But I will still have a beer with y’all.

John Konop August 25, 2010 at 11:50 am

B Balz,

In all due respect I have been very clear that I do not speak for the PP and or Karen Handel only myself. As far as dividing the GOP base, I have been crystal clear that I am a pragmatic fiscal conservative and as far as social issues a lean toward being a libertarian. I have al ways been clear even when I ran for office my country, family, friends, community came way before any elegance to a party. Right or wrong I just call them like I see them. It seems you are advocating party loyalty over what is best. It is your right to be about party over policy but we just disagree. And finally I do not look at people from a different political prospective as the enemy. And do not buy that one party has all the talent and solutions and the other party is evil.

I have said it many times I think the country functions best with a split government, it keeps both sides in check more.

B Balz August 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Like I said John, not going to argue. You are not the problem. Your positions on fiscal conservatism are well known, and I agree with them for the most part. Separate that issue from overt, organized, and most importantly, UNDISCLOSED, candidate advocacy.

Your support for Ms. Handel, along with that of other contributors, constituted organized advocacy, and frankly, that sort of combined, calculated effort is legally required to be accounted for in the Ethics rules.

Trust me, I know of others who advocated less publicly, on other issues, who were threatened with ethics charges for not disclosing their organized support of an issue. I know that topic is uber-sensitive to you, with good reason.

That’s my point, when PP became a candidate advocate, and most of its’ contributors agree that ethics reform is an important issue, then PP ought to follow the very ethics rules it is trying to change.

If grift openly advocated for a Dem on his blog, and did not offer any disclosure to the Ethic Comm., I am reasonably a GOP legal-pup would be on it like ‘flies in the ointment.’

Ron Daniels August 25, 2010 at 1:15 pm

At what point does it become advocating?

At what point does PP and it’s front page posters become united as a single entity?

B Balz August 25, 2010 at 1:43 pm

That definition, my friend, is in the eye of the enemy. As an aspiring barrister, you can read and interpret the ethics criteria as well as anyone else. HINT: If the advocacy appears to be organized, it may be considered organized.

Some PP contributors may have had ‘chalk on their shoes’, if Team Ox wanted to make an issue of it, early on in the year.

As we should all know, it is pretty easy to file an ethics charge. Like I said, Ron, I personally know of a situation where group of citizens less organized, less vocal than the ‘Handelistas’ were threatened with an ethics charge. Water under the dam…goodtimes…bygones…

I am puzzled at the overt Roy support, by some, though.

Steve August 25, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I’ve read through this exchange a couple of times to see if I’ve missed something, and unfortunately I believe that my first impression was correct. You’re simply unhappy with the level of anti-Deal sentiment floating around on this blog, and are being a chickens*t d*ck in threatening legal harassment unless others hush up.

Erick and Icarus were up-front from day one about their pro-Handel sentiment, and those two guys have accounted for the lion’s share of front-page posts on the matter. Buzz Brockway has taken a more neutral tone since becoming a candidate for office. Jason Shepherd withdrew from the front page altogether after becoming a candidate for office. Jason Pye, Jace Walden, and (I believe) Ron Daniels are not members of the Republican Party at all. Chris Farris doesn’t really seem “for” anyone these days, and is rather the “anti-incumbent” or “anti-establishment” guy.

The people at the comment-level include sockpuppets of every form and variety. Nathan Deal’s own sockpuppets are quite well represented in their number.

So there you go. Speaking of ethical disclosure, who ARE you? It’s hard to seriously consider lectures and threats on such a topic, when they come from an individual who only identifies himself as “B Balz”.

Ron Daniels August 25, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I’m a Republican actually, Steve. But I’m glad I seem objective enough to not make people think I’m party line.

B Balz August 25, 2010 at 3:37 pm

@Steve “… You’re simply unhappy with the level of anti-Deal sentiment floating around on this blog, and are being a chickens*t d*ck in threatening legal harassment unless others hush up. ..”

I am very blessed and happy man Steve, thanks for asking. I neither have the temperament nor inclination to threaten anyone, much less the people I know, and consider friends, from PP. I have met quite a few contributors here, so clearly the intent of my post is unclear to you and, perhaps, others.

My intent is to share a point of view that I could see a blogger being called to respond to an ethics complaint during a heated primary. Recall, at that time, quite a few contributors commented at certain biases.

Point is, a credible ethics complaint could have been launched to ‘disturb’ punditing.

As to the ‘Party over principle’ comments; some of y’all have short memories,as my disdain for such polemics is evident by frequent opposition of same.

I am not a ‘puppet’, sock or otherwise; however, I do actively advocate for a national not-for-profit, as a volunteer. It is eye opening to be in the halls of power, and then listen to some of the ‘net-views. Pretty obvious who has a clue, and who has actually met the person they are so happily denigrating.

B Balz is a handle that has mysterious, deeply historic origins. As I am sure you are aware, the name Balz is a contraction from Balthazar:

n. – (New Testament) one of the three sages from the east who came bearing gifts for the infant Jesus.

Thankfully, father prevailed and I was not named on mother’s side for her uncle, civil war Brig Gen. Ulysses Robert Balz or I would further risk offending as :

UR Balz.

PS Easy does it, pilgrim. My vote for Governor is going to go to the candidate that best serves Georgia.

macho August 25, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Can’t wait to see how that complaint would hold up against the 1st Amendment.

B Balz August 25, 2010 at 3:49 pm

The issue is not free speech, macho, rather the misuse of ethics complaints to bother somebody. Ethics complaints, more like desperate ‘Hail Mary’s than actual ethics issues, are used as a costly ‘nuisance’ to the opposition.

Often the complaint has nothing to do with free speech, right or wrong, but the accused must deal with the ethics folks in a timely manner.

Of course, one can retaliate by funding a civil lawsuit against the complainant .

It is no wonder why a normal human being often shuns the political process.

Ambernappe August 26, 2010 at 11:07 am

Au contraire – it is a wonder that a normal person participating in the political process is able to remain normal.

B Balz August 26, 2010 at 11:59 am

And, of course, normal is always relative.

Lady Thinker August 25, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Good question Ron. It is no secret I supported Karen and when she runs again in four years, I will support her again. My comments are protected under the First Amendment and are in no way part of some organization.

Glen Ross August 25, 2010 at 11:03 am

Reading through most of the list, I thought “meh” Then I got to Keith Stone and thought “what?” and then I got to Pat Tippett and thought “Oh, this is a joke, hahaha”

This is a joke right? Right?

drjay August 25, 2010 at 11:56 am

why would there involvement make this a joke?

Progressive Dem August 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Keith Stone is the “spokesperson” for Keystone beer.

drjay August 26, 2010 at 12:36 pm

well nobody likes bitter beer face….

BuckheadConservative August 26, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I’m sure there will be more intelligent political commentary at Burning Man next weekend than what some on that list have to offer.

chefdavid August 25, 2010 at 1:53 pm

The other site looks like they are trying to be a morph of PP and Redstate. I like the fact that 90% of what is talked about on here is Georgia related. If I want to talk national politics I can go to a national blog.

Andre August 26, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I hate to play the race card, but since I was jettisoned from the front page of this site, Peach Pundit has turned into a stuck-up white boys club.

Don’t make me call the Reverend Al Sharpton or the NAACP on you folks.

Andre August 26, 2010 at 12:41 pm

To paraphrase Kanye West, Peach Pundit doesn’t like black people.

Doug Grammer August 26, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Andre,

I think you’re OK in my book, unless there are things about you I don’t know about. I’ve wondered what happened to you. Were you given a reason that you lost FP poster status?

Andre August 26, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Doug,

This is why I was banned from the front page.

griftdrift August 26, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Why don’t you tell him why you were kicked off the first time.

Andre August 26, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Yeah, I got kicked off because I worked for a Democratic member of Congress; helped that Democratic member of Congress get re-elected; got paid for my services; and didn’t tell anyone about it until after the FEC reports came out.

Romegaguy August 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Thought it was more than one candidate that paid you to post things on here and other sites Andre

B Balz August 28, 2010 at 6:01 am

Disclosures would have prevented the whole episode. Nobody wants to be punked, esp. like this:

Video of Public Comment (after commercial)

Audio of Regular Guys Radio Show.

John Konop August 26, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Grift,

I love the fact you let nothing slide! I like Andre and think he made a mistake with the other issue. But I also think he did spice up the site with his views. And did have very thought–out views agree or not.

griftdrift August 27, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Contrition is great grease to help make things slide.

John Konop August 28, 2010 at 6:51 am

LOL

macho August 28, 2010 at 11:26 am

Good one.

Comments on this entry are closed.