Glenn Richardson as an albatross

This is the best thing about Georgia politics you will read all day.

Former Georgia Speaker of the House Glenn Richardson’s case is a sad one, and I hope he gets help.

But, as Georgia heads into an election season that basically boils down to Republicans versus Democrats, it’s entirely appropriate to question the wisdom of a party that, for the last several years, had a philandering and eventually suicidal man as one of its top leaders.

• B Balz says:

WE all discussed that the former Speaker would come up as an issue. I am puzzled why ex-Maconite and newly minted tarheel, Mr. Travis Fain, is a first responder to the mess? Why would another Maconite, our own Erick would push the matter here?

I am further puzzled why PP is really Roy’s bff?

1. bowersville says:

Strange, I was watching a different movie. I was watching ‘Gone with the Wind” with the GaGOP House playing the part of Clark Gable.

“Frankly my dear, I don’t give a dam#”

2. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

I was watching “The Unforgiven”

“We all got it comin’ Kid”

On that note, I hope they took Glenn’s gun away from him.

3. Steve says:

I’m hoping the GOP crashes and burns this November… but that doesn’t mean I’m all too sure about playing this particular card. I hope the man gets the help he needs and can put his life together.

4. Scott65 says:

Depression is a serious disease, my guess is that he is bi-polar. Thats the only way I could see him functioning as speaker. I hope he gets help

5. John Konop says:

Erick,

I think this post is very poor taste, especially with what just happen. If you have a policy disagreement with Richardson than make your case, and or if you question him having an affair with a lobbyist on a bill he supported that is fair game. But the rest of it during his current situation is very poor taste in my opinion and shows no class.

6. Red Phillips says:

“had a philandering and eventually suicidal man as one of its top leaders.”

And worse than that, he endorsed Rudy Giuliani. That’s even worse than endorsing Handel. 😉

In all seriousness, is there any suggestion that Richardson had a history of mental instability? Or is this current sad situation a result of his exposure and subsequent fall from grace?

7. Georgia Judge says:

Im in full agreement with Konop,poor taste.

The thing that needs to be remembered is that while Erick piles on now,that was not the case when he was still speaker.How many post did Erick put up after his last session proclaiming how great of a leader he was and how he schooled Purdue and Cagle??? The answer is several.

8. MSBassSinger says:

I hope Glenn Richardson gets the help he needs. Real men don’t kick a man when he is down.

However, the point about how sorry the Georgia GOP is (that some in leadership of questionable character are not addressed by the party) is a valid point. A good reputation is easy to lose, and hard to get, whether a person or an organization.

(Question for you libs and Rockefeller Republicans: On what basis of moral authority do you determnine that philandering and suicide is wrong?)

But when I ponder that for a bit, I am not surprised. The Georgia GOP has been under the control of people with a Rockefeller Republican mindset. That mens they (generally) do not subscribe to the concept of a single, moral authority like the social conservatives do. Since what is “moral” is no longer immutable to them, how can we surprised when they do things others find immoral?

• LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

I’m from the North East originally, and it’s pretty clear to me that Georgia Republicans have nothing in common with “Rockefeller Republicans.”

BTW, it’s 2010, not 1974. Could you come up with a more relevant moderate Republican to vilify?

• Progressive Dem says:

Amen. Nelson Rockefeller, who I admired, is no where near any Republican in Georgia. Lincln Chaffee, maybe, but he left the GOP.

9. dusty ride says:

Erik says it’s entirely appropriate to question the wisdom of a party. I agree, especially when so many of the partys top players are, have been or will be under investigations for all kinds of misdeeds. In politics first impressions are all important but they are mutable in that they can be made worse. Point to be made: When you are in deep s**t quit stirring it up.

10. ACCmoderate says:

For once I’m going to stick up for Erick here.

The post might be incorrectly titled, but the point of the post is a pertinent one.

Republican leadership failed to acknowledge Richardson’s behavior and failed to take action against it. When rumors of affairs with lobbyists came about, the higher ups in the GOP caucus seemed more than willing to sweep it under the rug. Out of sight out of mind.

The GOP only took action when the issue became too public for them to continue to willfully ignore. That isn’t leadership… its spineless… its cowardly… and its not what we should expect of our political “leaders.”

11. macho says:

“Because an awful lot of that management was carried out by a disturbed powder keg of a man who was backed by politicians afraid, or otherwise unwilling, to say anything about it.”

The rebuttal I would say to this is the House did elect as Speaker someone who was willing to stand-up to the situation and had been ostracized for it. So the body has repented.

There are a lot of good men and women who serve in the legislature, but there were also a bunch who treated it like a Roman orgy. There were worse ones even than Glenn. Unfortunately, many of them were elected to leadership positions, with full knowledge of their exploits by fellow House members. I get a little tired of the act that nobody was aware of the infidelity and subsequent love children.

That being said, the current Speaker is a great man, and bullet-proof on this front, which should counter the criticism.

As a side note, I think the suicide discussion is a little out-of-bounds, while the philandering was common knowledge, I don’t think the fellow members were aware of his severe depression; and should not be held accountable for his subsequent actions.