New poll shows a much closer race for Governor

A new poll from Insider Advantage shows a much closer gubernatorial race than last week’s poll from Rasmussen, which I’m not buying after looking at the crosstabs. IA also polled the race for U.S. Senate as well.

Make sure you read Matt Towery’s commentary on the poll.

Insider Advantage/WSB poll
Governor:

• Deal: 45%
  • Barnes: 41%
  • Monds: 5%
  • Undecided: 9%

US Senate:

• Isakson: 47%
  • Thurmond: 35%
  • Donovan: 7%
  • Undecided: 11%

1. Jane says:

The Insider Advantage/WSB poll looks a lot like the Landmark poll for governor, 46/41 with 13% undecided.

• bowersville says:

Yes, some of us discussed it in the comments section. Jane’s numbers are correct if I remember right. I asked a question about when the Landmark poll came out and Jane answered it.

• bowersville says:

I never did see a link, it was discussed in the live blog that Buzz does every week on whatever the name of that program is that I never watch.

I only read the live blog after it’s over. Buzz was apparently quoting one of the commentators on that program. Phil I think.

• bowersville says:

John, right now I’m just watching. Most of this side show stuff being discussed since the run-off doesn’t interest me.

As both candidates come around to issues that I care about I probably will have more to say.

I have never been a member of either party on the state level other than the RLC. I guess I’m what some would label as “the squishy middle.”

• bowersville says:

I read an article in the AJC a day or so ago that referenced an IA opinion on what’s going on behind the scene. Apparently potential major players that donated to other candidates are having to go through Deal’s financial director instead of talking to Deal. I read that there are layers around Deal with seats only available at 2nd and 3rd tier tables. Not much there to motivate those people other than I’m not Barnes.

If the comments on PP are an indicator of the Deal camp attitude, that you have no other choice but support Deal, the support is soft. I think there is genuine concern over what course the US Attorney will take and how will that play in this election cycle or into Deal’s Governorship if elected.

Barnes has controlled the news cycle since the run-off election. Deal campers want to complain about PP front page postings and the lib’ral media. At some point the Deal camp will have to take the stage with Barnes. Normal times would call for Deal to wait for face to face appearances, but in Savannah where the focus of concerns is the economy I think those people had a high expectation to hear from each candidate at the same time because “it’s the economy stupid.”

Georgia is a very RED state, but we have to eat. I don’t think linkage to Obama will win it for Deal, it’s the economy.

2. kolt473 says:

Maybe Mond’s will be the KASIM REED in the governors race, King Roy had bad habit of backing losers LURCH&THE BRECK GIRL. He’s got the OBAMUNISM down to a tee. Preaches his policies, and runs from the emperors presence. Deal did in Handel, now like the OX-BOW INCIDENT ethics will be Deals downfall… As for King Roy, he doesn’t deserve the job to tell voters, where to go as the first time… worried about corruption in Afghani gov’t look at our own, corruption everywhere…..

• AubieTurtle says:

You can buy Hooked on Phonics on eBay for a pretty reasonable price. Just thought I’d throw that out there for you.

• kolt473 says:

that’s the mail call guy from the history channel. let’s see him analyze the GEICO AND THE AFLAC DUCK….

3. Progressive Dem says:

Barnes needs to pound transportation, education and economic development while attacking Deal/GOP on ethics and inaction.

4. kolt473 says:

lol, King Roy education, economics? puh-leeze. The King beholden to UNIONS of all kinds, non union=scabs last place. ILLEGAL ALIENS screw the pc scared media, call them what they really are. Hey Aubie, we’ve tangled before, take your own advice, you do the phonics…Negative ads will turn voters off to both I hope they do.

5. Confirmed — we have Deal up 46-41%.

But the most interesting finding is that Barnes’ unfavorable is higher statewide than his favorable: 45% view him Unfavorably, 43% Favorably. Think about it — these are his unfavorable numbers BEFORE the first negative ad is run. He will likely have an unfavorable rating in the 50s by election time.

Deal’s Favorable-Unfavorable among likely voters is 39% Favorable to 30% Unfavorable as of last Thursday evening, 48 hours after the polls closed in the Runoff.

6. It’s understandable that one of my quotes were edited… I didn’t say “time was ‘ripe’ to send a message”… I actually said that “since the Crooked Deal and Re-tread Barnes will most likely not get over 50% in the general election, this is a ‘perfect’ time for the voters of Georgia to send a message and Vote Monds. … http://tinyurl.com/29qt79k

7. Lady Thinker says:

I am not sure any of the three have workable plans to bring Georgia forward on any of the issues.