Audacity Of Hope Open Thread

August 19, 2010 8:07 am

by Buzz Brockway · 27 comments

Unemployment rate falls as people quit looking for jobs.

There were 230,100 long-term unemployed Georgians in July — those who have been out of work for 27 weeks or longer, the labor department said. This represents an increase of 90 percent from July 2009.

The long-term unemployed now account for 49.8 percent of the 462,372 jobless workers in Georgia. That’s one out of two people searching for a job.

During the past two months, Georgia’s labor force has declined by more than 40,000 as discouraged workers dropped out, the labor department said. This is the first time since 2001 that Georgia has experienced significant reductions in the labor force for two consecutive months.

Talk amongst yourselves in this Open Thread.

hugoblacksupreme August 19, 2010 at 8:27 am

Maybe our new Labor Comm. can get everyone a job at W. Georgia College. I hear that he really knows how to work over those University Lobbyist!

Harry August 19, 2010 at 9:09 am

Mark Butler hasn’t been elected yet. The Democrat, Darryl A. Hicks, has my vote. Hicks has a strong management background with AGL Resources. has an MBA, and has done extensive civic and volunteer work. From all indications, he is a good family man.

Provocateur August 19, 2010 at 9:23 am

An MBA? We don’t like no stinkin’ college boys, especially those “M” ones.

Blog Goliard August 19, 2010 at 9:47 am

Don’t worry. An MBA isn’t one of those degrees where you do any of that dangerous actual thinkin’.

Erick's Mortal Enemy August 19, 2010 at 9:47 am

I’m a Democrat and I’m going to be hard pressed to vote for Hicks. His speeches rouse me about as much as listening to NPR’s Annual Pledge Drives.

Anybody want to try to convince me to vote for the Libertarian?

Harry August 19, 2010 at 9:53 am

Not a good speech maker? Is that a necessary qualification to be labor commissioner? I think the real reason is that he’s too conservative for you.

Erick's Mortal Enemy August 19, 2010 at 10:52 am

Trust me, that’s not it. I’m voting for two Republicans come this election. I vote candidate, and I don’t think Hicks is a good one. Sorry.

Daniel N. Adams August 19, 2010 at 9:56 am

Why are some avatars showing up, “others, not so much?”

Bridget August 19, 2010 at 10:24 am

I have the same question since this is an open thread. I can’t even find where to load a photo under my profile settings.

polisavvy August 19, 2010 at 10:28 am

I’d do the same; but, unfortunately, I am a little more than a tad technically challenged. It would have to be laid out simplistically for me. LOL!! ;)

Buzz Brockway August 19, 2010 at 10:37 am

I’m not sure why some are showing up and some are not.

If you’ve never set one up go to Gravatar.com. You can upload a picture and it should appear as you comment.

Bridget August 19, 2010 at 10:50 am

I know this isn’t an IT helpdesk thread, but the Gravatar page isn’t recognizing my Wordpress account. I’ve tried both my email and my screen name and reset my password then waited to re-log in on both sites. Any other suggestions?

Daniel N. Adams August 19, 2010 at 11:14 am

The only difference I see between the ones that show up and the ones that don’t is the graphic link itself http://0.gravatar.com/avatar — works http://1.gravatar.com/avatar — doesn’t work

Where’s Farris…. his works, what did he do?

Bridget August 19, 2010 at 11:21 am

Well, I just discovered that I have a PP login but not a Wordpress login. I thought they were one in same. I now have a new Wordpress/Gravatar login. The PP “register” button currently gets stuck after hitting submit. Hopefully, once start using my Wordpress login to get into PP, this will be cleared up. Not that having an avatar makes my world go ’round, but I like things to work as intended…

bowersville August 19, 2010 at 10:58 am

Open thread comment.

The AJC has an interesting read concerning healing the GOP in the primary aftermath. It’s under the Elections section. The article “GOP Healing…” has a link to IA.

Baker August 19, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I continue to be dumbfounded as to why people do not understand the economic effects of the uncertainty created by multiple bills exceeding 2,000 pages.

Buzz Brockway August 19, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Exactly.

David Staples August 19, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Read this article recently and thought it rather interesting… figured I’d share. Essentially the Ex-Mexican President is calling for the legalization of drugs because he’s realized that the warn on drugs has failed and that legalization would actually decrease violence. If Mexico did legalize drugs, what impact do you think this would have on the United States?

Provocateur August 19, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Perhaps more Mexicans would get hooked on drugs and stop coming to America.

OR…conversely, perhaps more Americans would move to Mexico to get access to easy drugs.

dixiechick August 19, 2010 at 3:24 pm

From what i understand the Republican candidate for Labor Commissioner wants to force people drawing unemployment to get drug tested. That’s kicking people while they are down.
I think they need to spend more time upgrading the idiotic system they have in place for getting the unemployment. The computer system and the phone system don’t work together. You can’t certify by computer one week and phone the next week or it holds up your check, if you make a mistake and enter your SSN twice on the phone system you have to show up at an office to fix it. Any simple issue you have to show up to fix it. What a joke.
We could have far fewer DOL employees if this was streamlined.

Doug Deal August 19, 2010 at 9:02 pm

If anyone is an IE user that wants to get rid of the irritating wibiya bar, or just wants to mess with their “online” count, just add *.wibiya.com to your restricted sites, under internet options/security and voila, it’s gone.

Jeremy Jones August 19, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I discovered this the same way I am sure the others did, however, in today’s political environment, it is quite funny.

Look who is in the “friend” list of the “Kasi Spa” on Facebook:

From their profile:

“Here at Kasi Spa , our goal is to provide an atmosphere conducive for total comfort and relaxation. Male clients are treated to a pampered and serene environment. Kasi Spa’s staff is entirely female. We hope to accomidate our clients with outstanding…”

Friends of the Kasi Spa include:

Tommie Williams
Jeff Mullis
Otis Putnam
Melvin Everson
Randy Neugebauer
Jason Shepard
David Barbee
Alan Powell

Full disclosure, I too am a “friend,” albeit temporarily to keep access to the humorous page.

I am sure, like me, these men just accept every friend request they get, that is how I found it. But a lesser blog/website, might make a big deal about this!

Enjoy!

Jason Shepherd August 19, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Thanks for the research and heads-up Jeremy. I guess I need to watch out which businesses I be-friend and not just accept them because I see that they are your friend as well. :)

Jeremy Jones August 19, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I thought you’d find that funny!

I assure you, do not use me as a litmus test of possible friendships!

(for the record, you were their friend first!)

Jason Shepherd August 20, 2010 at 12:26 am

Oh, so you were using me as your litmus test!?

Jeremy Jones August 20, 2010 at 12:34 am

I accept all friend requests. ;) – especially ones with so many General Assembly members as mutual friends!

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to get to “Atlantic Station” in Atlanta?

Jason Shepherd August 20, 2010 at 1:19 am

Yeah. It’s the 17th Street exit, across the connector from John Marshall Law School in case you need a lawyer after your visit.

Comments on this entry are closed.