On The Governor’s Race: Elections Are About Choices

Sometimes the idea wafts gently into the warm Georgia air that the Front Page Posters here at Peach Pundit agree on everything. The whole “HandelPundit” thing became a running joke, and gave some an excuse to dismiss what was posted here. One email based political publication was jubilant in Handel’s defeat not because of support for Deal but because of the opportunity it provided to rub it in Peach Pundit’s face. Of course that publication failed to point out that a candidate for Insurance Commissioner it heavily supported went down hard in the runoff. Take that Bill. 😉

The General Election race between Roy Barnes, Nathan Deal, and John Monds will put on display the differences of opinion we Front Page Posters have.

I intend to vote for Nathan Deal and will be posting a series of articles between now and November in support of Deal, in opposition to Roy Barnes, and in defense of Republican Governance of Georgia over the past few years. I don’t think Nathan Deal is God’s Gift To Humanity, I don’t think Roy Barnes is the Spawn of Satan, and I don’t think the Republican run State Government has been perfect. On the whole however, Nathan Deal and the Republicans will be better for Georgia that Roy Barnes will.

Elections are about choices – we choose from among the candidates on the ballot for any given office. This year voters could choose from among seven Republicans and seven Democrats. Libertarians put forward one candidate. Now we must choose between one Republican, one Democrat, and one Libertarian. We all know this but I think it’s important to remember. The election for Governor this year is not an opportunity to pick the best person for the job, it’s an opportunity to pick from the candidates that decided to run. Being upset at what we may view as flaws in the remaining candidates is pointless. Pick the candidate that agrees most with your views and support him. Remember an 80% friend is not a 20% enemy.

Last week I warned of a post-primary split in the GOP. I’d been hearing from a number of Deal supporters that they would never support Karen Handel, and Roy Barnes isn’t so bad anyway. Now I’m hearing some Handel supporters say the exact same thing. You Republicans can vote for Barnes or Monds in protest if you want, but do it with your eyes wide open about exactly who it is you’re supporting.

Why am I supporting Nathan Deal? I explain in more detail as we move forward, but as an incoming freshman Legislator, Nathan Deal is someone I can work with to get good stuff done for the people of my district. I don’t think I can get much done with Roy Barnes in the Governor’s mansion – it will be more about trying to block bad stuff. Some of you may like the idea of divided government and there’s plenty of data to support your idea on the Federal level. For me, I don’t want a Democrat Governor and a Republican Legislature. Call me selfish, but I want the chance to get some of my ideas enacted into law. Nathan Deal gives me a better chance to do exactly that.

1. edmund says:

Witness the transition from marginalized blogger to mainstream legislator. Good luck, Buzz, it’s only a matter of time before your front page posting rights are revoked because you’ve become part of the “sex, lies, and lobbyists” establishment.

2. fishtail says:

Buzz…today in Savannah Deal said he was open to legalized casino gambling in Georgia. If he wins and introduces this gambling legislation, how will you feel about him then?

• Chris says:

“Put it on the ballot and let the people decide.”

Do you feel the same way about Sunday Sales of alcohol?

• Provocateur says:

How are you going to make your big splash as a freshman legislator if you aren’t the one actually carrying the Sunday sales legislation?

• bowersville says:

According to the latest write up from AJC.com on the Savannah forum Deal agrees with Buzz on allowing local governments to decide if Sunday sales of alcohol will be allowed.

Barnes had the some position.

• GOPwits says:

I wonder what his Christian base thinks about that? They were going around touting this so called Sunday School Teacher and now it turns out he supports casinos building in Georgia and Roy Barnes wants to protect the morality of our state.

Are we in the twilight zone?

• Provocateur says:

We are in the tax revenue getting squeezed zone and need to stop this ridiculous adherence to running this state by someone’s interpretation of the Bible, and get to the business of allowing free market capitalism to thrive.

Donations to churches and places of worship have been severely reduced in this recession as well due to layoffs.

If it’s good enough for the state to run a gambling enterprise (HOPE scholarship), it’s good enough for private (but heavily regulated) industry to be able to offer gambling enterprises.

Why do people like you want the government to be the one to have a monopoly on offering a service that some people choose to enjoy?

3. polisavvy says:

Great post, Buzz. Hopefully Pundit’s readers will actually process what you said. Thanks for the insight. This could be a very interesting 76 days.

• ZazaPachulia says:

“Great Post” “Good stuff”

Did you two just read what I did? Given Mr. Brockway’s new job, could he have possibly written anything different? Come on, people.

• polisavvy says:

You wrote your opinion and I wrote mine. And yes, he could have written anything different had he chosen to do so. Has it ever crossed your mind that perhaps he’s got a valid point, and that in the next 76 days information could emerge that could become a game changer? He’s correct in that the legislators do have to work with the Governor. He’s correct that it would be easier to work for a Republican Governor.

I have now reread his entry twice and, for the life of me, don’t see what flipped your switch. He didn’t say Deal was perfect. He didn’t say that there was some deep dark secret about Barnes. He didn’t say anything negative about Monds. He just simply stated his position. Isn’t that a freedom that we all have? Has that changed and I didn’t get the memo?

• ZazaPachulia says:

It just came across a little gratuitous to me. If his real goal is to “get good stuff done” in the GOP controlled general assembly then it wouldn’t have been prudent to write anything different.

• polisavvy says:

Possibly, but you know how these guys like to write posts that raise ire and cause dialogue. LOL!! 🙂

4. ZazaPachulia says:

Of bleeping course you’re supporting Deal. You’re under the gold dome now. You gotta toe the party line. Everyone knows that if you want to “get good stuff done” you gotta get your peers and colleagues within the party on board way before you go knocking on the governor’s door.

Buzz, find me one legislator in Georgia who will go on record supporting someone other than his/her party’s candidate for governor… yeah, that’s what I thought. We PP commenters might be crazy, but we ain’t dumb.

I look forward to seeing your other posts on this topic, but so far you’ve done nothing to convince me that Deal is a better choice than Monds or Barnes. Right now Deal is a distant third in the ‘Pachulia Poll’ and I have a feeling he will stay there.

5. “This year voters could choose from among seven Republicans and seven Democrats. Libertarians put forward one candidate. Now we must choose between one Republican, one Democrat, and one Libertarian.”

Libertarians would put forward more and participate in the primaries if allowed. Currently the Republicans and Democrats have a monopoly on those.

“Nathan Deal is someone I can work with to get good stuff done for the people of my district. I don’t think I can get much done with Roy Barnes in the Governor’s mansion – it will be more about trying to block bad stuff. ”

What about Monds? Would you be able to work with him? After all, Libertarians do support the smaller government part of the GOP platform. We just disagree on the social issues like gay marriage and gambling and what not. (Note that Deal was against gambling before he was for it. Wonder if he’ll switch positions again in the next 76 days?)

• Doug Grammer says:

David,

What about Monds? The guy with about $1,000 dollars in the bank, lost office twice, and his job is a home maker? This is who you want to trust the future of Georgia to? Sounds a lot like the Dem candidate from SC for US Senate. Tell us how he is qualified to be Gov. without using his positions on issues. OK, he has a couple of college degrees, has supported charities, and is nice to kids and animals. Then what?

• Doug Grammer says:

He’d have to win the nomination first. I’ve never met him. There are members of the GOP that I don’t care for, but unless they are running now, it’d be useless to talk about them.

• “There are members of the GOP that I don’t care for”

But whom you’d still back in a heartbeat because they’ve got the R beside their name. After all, it’s all about electing people from your party… isn’t that what you’ve stated previously?

• Doug Grammer says:

Not quite. If you’ve paid attention to my posts, you will notice that I’ve voted for a Dem once or twice in my life. I just don’t make a habit of it. I said the purpose of a party is to elect members of that party. Contrary to some peoples opinion, I am not the Republican Party. I work for it, I support it, but that’s not all there is to me.

• Doug – I’ll counter that with what about the GOP’s beloved Ronald Reagan? The guy that until elected was never a politician, though he might have played one on tv at one point. (I don’t know, I hadn’t been born yet at that point and haven’t ever seen any of his films.) The guy that was an actor and a spokesman. Ok, he has a college degree from Eureka College, supported charities and was nice to kids and animals. Then what? How was he qualified to become Governor of California before going on to become President of the US?

Let’s talk Terminator for a moment, shall we? His career was pretty similar – actor and body builder. In fact… I love this quote – “Immigration law firm Siskind & Susser have stated that Schwarzenegger may have been an illegal immigrant at some point in the late 1960s or early 1970s because of violations in the terms of his visa.” But had he been running in Georgia instead of California, you’d have no problem with him whatsoever.

Please educate us all as to what makes these two actors qualified to be Governor without using their positions on issues.

• Doug Grammer says:

I can point out that both Gov.’s of CA you mentioned have done other national things before they were elected Gov.

President Reagan was Chairman of the Screen Actors Guild, based largely in CA, but is a nationwide organization. As such, he occasionally worked with the CA legislature.

Gov. Swartzenager was the National Chairman of the Council on Physical Fitness appointed by President George H.W. Bush and was a role model for school children across the nation.

That’s just info I knew off the top of my head without looking anything up. Can you point to any type of experience that Monds has on a comparable level as these two men?

In your quote about Gov. Swartzenager, I noticed the use of the word “may.”

• Lady Thinker says:

David,

How is Kira Willis doing in her bid for the Board of Education? In one of my jobs, I work with someone in her neighborhood and have heard great things about her. Kira has my vote.

Looks like I’ll be voting for someone from each party.

6. Doug Grammer says:

Not a good post but a great one. All options on the table, sure Buzz could be the head of Republicans for Barnes. He chose wisely not to do so.

7. Harry says:

Let’s not kid ourselves. Monds has no future. The Libertarian Party has no future. Knock yourselves out, vote your principles and they’ll get 2% or 3% of the vote. I’d rather “deal” with what’s really on the table.

8. Scott65 says:

I dont think that posting that you dont think you can work well with Roy Barnes is good politics…especially if he should win. Wondering…have you met him (Barnes), and how do you know if you can work with him or for that fact, how do you know you can work with Deal?
    As of this moment, I haven’t heard one credible proposal out of Deal for Georgia, just vague soundbites with a little ad hominem throw in for good measure.
    What is Deal offering to bring to the table for the state. We have had single party rule here for quite a while, and its not looking to have been very successful. This “cutting taxes” soundbite is getting old…and rather impossible to implement

• Doug Grammer says:

Congressman Deal does have good ideas, but most of the front page posters were backing another candidate, so most of the new threads we are getting now are attacking Congressman Deal. I hope we have some real discussion over issues, but that will be up to the front page posters.

This thread is an exception but going into issues that Congressman Deal backs would be off topic. Now we get to talk about if it’s good or bad for Buzz to say he’s backing Congressman Deal.

• Scott65 says:

Its not off topic at all…If Buzz supports the man, then he supports his policies. I just ask…what are they? You have a golden opportunity now to lay out what they are. Win me over

9. GOPwits says:

It’s a matter of having a Governor who will put what’s best for the state ahead of what is best for his cronies and donors. I think Deal has shown that he puts his cronies, donors, and own personal interests first and until he is more honest and transparent about his issues, there are many Republicans who will just not participate in this election, vote Monds, or even vote Barnes.

It says something loudly that the Republican nominee refuses to release his taxes, is under a federal grand jury investigation, and refuses to debate the Democratic candidate.

10. Skyler Akins says:

How has Republican governance of Georgia made us better? Our budget over the past 2 years is more dependent on federal money than any time in Georgia history..hypocrisy at its best!

• Doug Grammer says:

Have you looked at the shape of the other 49 states? Some may be doing better than Georgia economically, but not many. Most are raising taxes, and not at a hospital bed level, or floating bonds.